PDA

View Full Version : News outlets say Montana State can still make playoffs

Ronbo
November 11th, 2008, 10:53 AM
What do you guys think of the Montana TV and Newspapers for spreading this false info? MSU can only get 6 D-I wins if they win out and they have no shot at the auto bid.

http://www.keci.com/local_sports.php?id=d8cbad6452215bbbddae4ff41df0c9 18

http://missoulian.com/articles/2008/11/11/sports/sports03.txt

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Associated Press wrote one of those.

Native
November 11th, 2008, 11:09 AM
What do you guys think of the Montana TV and Newspapers for spreading this false info? MSU can only get 6 D-I wins if they win out and they have no shot at the auto bid.

Besides the obvious lack of the minimum 7 D1 wins, these types of scenarios tend to look at a team in relative isolation, without considering the 20 or so deserving teams with better records and ranked higher.

Ronbo
November 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Associated Press wrote one of those.

Yep, but on both the Sunday night TV sports and the Monday night TV sports KECI had stories on MSU and that their playoffs hopes are still alive.xoopsx

Walkon79
November 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
At this point I wouldn't mind winning out and NOT getting in. We don't have any starters left.

Canyoncat
November 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Why do you even care??? We would have to beat PSU and UM by 30 plus points each to even have a sniff. We are not going, so don't get your panties in a wad worried about some of your spot light being stolen.

Ronbo
November 11th, 2008, 12:57 PM
The point was not that you're done. I like it when MSU makes the playoffs. It's that the news is spreading false hope to less than knowlegable fans with info that is poorly researched. These guys are sports professionals and they don't know you need 7 D-I wins to qualify for the playoffs??????xeyebrowx

Syntax Error
November 11th, 2008, 12:59 PM
The point was not that you're done. I like it when MSU makes the playoffs. It's that the news is spreading false hope to less than knowlegable fans with info that is poorly researched. These guys are sports professionals and they don't know you need 7 D-I wins to qualify for the playoffs??????xeyebrowxExactly

Walkon79
November 11th, 2008, 01:00 PM
The point was not that you're done. I like it when MSU makes the playoffs. It's that the news is spreading false hope to less than knowlegable fans with info that is poorly researched. These guys are sports professionals and they don't know you need 7 D-I wins to qualify for the playoffs??????xeyebrowx

Has it never happened before? The articles both stress that playoff hopes are slim. Are you saying no chance?

By the way, I agree there is very little hope. We needed to protect home field at least one of the two weeks, and we didn't.

Ronbo
November 11th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Has it never happened before? The articles both stress that playoff hopes are slim. Are you saying no chance?

By the way, I agree there is very little hope. We needed to protect home field at least one of the two weeks, and we didn't.

The only time you can qualify with less than 7 is if you take the auto bid.

catatac
November 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM

7 DI wins is not a rule... it's just a guideline that the committee MAY use to help them make their selections. They are tasked with sending the top 16 teams to the playoffs, period. If they believe that an 8-4 MSU team (with two 1A games) that just took 2nd place in the Big Sky, riding a 5 game Big Sky winning streak, and coming off a huge win knnocking off the 4th ranked griz by about 30 points... so be it!

No, I don't believe we'll make the playoffs this year but it is not a mathematical impossibility.

CrazyCat
November 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
First off let me say that even if MSU wins the next two, they won't get in.

The 7 D-I wins is one big obstacle but technically

The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins MAY place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;

MSUs strength of schedule and ratings other than polls have them anywhere from #16 to #18. If they beat PSU and #5 UM, that rating will go up.

I also think the newspapers are picking this up because Coach Ash has said that we need to win out to be considered for the playoffs. It is my belief that he saying this mostly for a motivational tool.

Once again I don't think even if we win out that we make it but "technically" there is a very, very,very slim chance.

Ronbo
November 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
Well then OK I can see that. But of course I can't be rooting for you to knock down the Griz but if you do then I hope you get in. That would be asking alot of the committee to let 3 BSC teams in. 10-2 Weber, 10-2 Montana, 8-4 Montana State. Could happen but there would need to be some upsets in the CAA and SoCon also.

89Hen
November 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM
There's a logical (although flawed) reason this is happening.... that last three times MSU made the playoffs they were 7-4, 7-5, 7-5... an uniformed reporter probably thinks that at 8-4 they are a mortal lock. xeyebrowx

cats2506
November 11th, 2008, 03:59 PM
7 DI wins is not a rule... it's just a guideline that the committee MAY use to help them make their selections. They are tasked with sending the top 16 teams to the playoffs, period. If they believe that an 8-4 MSU team (with two 1A games) that just took 2nd place in the Big Sky, riding a 5 game Big Sky winning streak, and coming off a huge win knnocking off the 4th ranked griz by about 30 points... so be it!

No, I don't believe we'll make the playoffs this year but it is not a mathematical impossibility.

I agree, the real problem is IF any of this were to happen would we still have enough left to field a team.

Hansel
November 11th, 2008, 04:02 PM
technically Idaho St is still eligible as well

cats2506
November 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
technically Idaho St is still eligible as well

technicaly so is NDSU

DuckDuckGriz
November 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM
Cats need to stop scheduling 2 FBS games against BCS opponents

CrazyCat
November 11th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Cats need to stop scheduling 2 FBS games against BCS opponents

Not only that but throw in two non-counters

xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx xnutsx

Go Apps
November 11th, 2008, 06:54 PM
No Chance In Hell - 4 losses dont get in this year... waste of time to talk about it

UMass922
November 11th, 2008, 07:29 PM
however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected

I've always interpreted "may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected" as simply an allowance for the (unlikely) possibility of a wacky season in which there aren't enough seven-win teams to fill out the at-large field, in which case the committee would have no choice but to take a six-win team. In short, a six-win team will never be taken ahead of an eligible seven-win team. I may be wrong, but I really think that's the spirit of the rule.

FargoBison
November 11th, 2008, 07:39 PM
No Chance In Hell - 4 losses dont get in this year... waste of time to talk about it

I wouldn't be surprised if a 4 loss team gets in, especially if Cal Poly or SIU lose this weekend.