PDA

View Full Version : DI basketball = DI scholarship football?

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 10:27 AM
What if the NCAA simply put its foot down and said "if you want to stay in DI basketball and have an NCAA football team, we are going to force you to have DI scholarship football or end your football program"?

I have a hard time believing Dayton, etc. wouldn't pony up for 30-40 scholarships.

89Hen
November 11th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Why?

MoreheadEagle
November 11th, 2008, 10:29 AM
That would be the stupidest thing that the NCAA could/would ever do. What about private schools that can't field a football team b/c of lack of numbers of athletes. You can't ask athletic departments to eat the cost and Title IX drama that goes with scholarship football.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 10:32 AM
What about the logical use of the word "and" don't you understand?

MoreheadEagle
November 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I missed the "and" sorry. But still, that would be dumb. The PFL, Ivy League, and in the future, the A-Sun could suffer if your idea was in place.

Franks Tanks
November 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
What if the NCAA simply put its foot down and said "if you want to stay in DI basketball and have an NCAA football team, we are going to force you to have DI scholarship football or end your football program"?

I have a hard time believing Dayton, etc. wouldn't pony up for 30-40 scholarships.

How about the 100 or so NCAA D-I schools that have no football at all and havent for decades? You would have to include them as well. Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence, DePaul, Gonzaga and others would no longer be able to play D-I basketball.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
All they have to do is drop out of DI basketball and they can do whatever they want with their football teams.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
How about the 100 or so NCAA D-I schools that have no football at all and havent for decades? You would have to include them as well. Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence, DePaul, Gonzaga and others would no longer be able to play D-I basketball.

AND

Dane96
November 11th, 2008, 10:38 AM
He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

89Hen
November 11th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Why?
I would appreciate knowing why this would be important to you.

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM
DUMB. You must be forgetting that with those scholarships for football the school would also need to add the appropriate number of female scholarships. Could mean the addition of different sports. OR they will have to get rid of the scholarship program for a different male sport. Bad idea, sorry.

UAalum72
November 11th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Is one scholarship enough, or are you next going to mandate 56, or 63, or 85? I bet 90% or more would drop football before incurring that much expense - especially if they don't have a big enough stadium to increase revenue.

Appstate29
November 11th, 2008, 10:46 AM

I would like it because it sets some minimum requirement for playing FCS football. Now anybody can move up from D-2 or D-3, fully fund the basketball squad, and give the football team slip pickings and still be called D-I I would like minimum schollie req's and minimum attendance. They don't have to be astronomical, but just something so that everyone in FCS has to make an actual commitment to football. Take the rest of the teams and throw them into a third subdivision for non-schollie or low-schollie leagues, let them crown their own champion, and the FCS teams can use one game a year against these teams to count towards playoffs. This is something that will help our subdivision establish itself to the media, and all around football fans.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
DUMB. You must be forgetting that with those scholarships for football the school would also need to add the appropriate number of female scholarships. Could mean the addition of different sports. OR they will have to get rid of the scholarship program for a different male sport. Bad idea, sorry.

You must be forgetting that DI stands for the upper tier of competitive athletics in the NCAA.

There are in fact two lower tiers to choose from if it would fit your schools current financial situation.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Is one scholarship enough, or are you next going to mandate 56, or 63, or 85? I bet 90% or more would drop football before incurring that much expense - especially if they don't have a big enough stadium to increase revenue.

I'm thinking somewhere in the 30-40 range minimum.

And equivalencies count, so the Patriot is safe for sure. Probablly Ivy too by now, not sure though.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Why is this important to you?

You'd see more schools drop football with no way to bring it back.
With non-scholly football at this level schools can test the waters and ease into a football program.

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 10:57 AM
You must be forgetting that DI stands for the upper tier of competitive athletics in the NCAA.

There are in fact two lower tiers to choose from if it would fit your schools current financial situation.

I forgot nothing. At the least you are suggesting an additional 30-40 male scholarships. Therefore, under title IX, the three prong test comes in:

Prong one - Providing athletic opportunities that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment, OR
Prong two - Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented sex, OR
Prong three - Full and effective accommodation of the interest and ability of underrepresented sex.

With those 30-40 MALE scholarships, 30-40 FEMALE scholarships must also be expanded. OR 30-40 male scholarships must be removed from the school to make room for football. Your 30-40 becomes 60-80 very quickly, and that is assuming your minimum basis. Maybe I'm wrong, or misunderstood this Title IX business, but as far as i understand this is how it works. It doesn't mean that your idea wouldn't fix a problem, but it would be too messy for the AD and potentially create more problems.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Why stop at football? While they are at it, the NCAA can require that in order to play D-I basketball, you also have to field men's and women's rowing, downhill skiing, cycling, cricket, ice hockey, judo, dog sled racing, water skiing, sumo wrestling, water polo, gymnastics, horse jumping, jai alai, bmx, stakeboarding, bobbsled, mountain climbing, jump rope, four square, handball, lasertag, and that Afghanistani sport where two packs of horseback riders carry a dead goat back and forth.

MoreheadEagle
November 11th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Another thing that isn't talked about much in non-scholly is that the schools who do it are recruiting student-athletes, many of whom qualify for other grants and aid. This brings in money for the school and gives students a chance at a good education.

BearsCountry
November 11th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Schools like Wichita State and Creighton that have done more at D1 than the majority of the schools with football would have to be dropped down. Man what a dump idea but doesnt suprise me coming from the scorce.

The Moody1
November 11th, 2008, 11:27 AM
With non-scholly football at this level schools can test the waters and ease into a football program.

DI football should not be the place for "testing the waters", or "easing into football". These pretenders are a big contributor to the lack of respect for FCS football.

danefan
November 11th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I'm thinking somewhere in the 30-40 range minimum.

And equivalencies count, so the Patriot is safe for sure. Probablly Ivy too by now, not sure though.

Ivy would not be safe unless you count academic scholarships.

UAalum72
November 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
DI football should not be the place for "testing the waters", or "easing into football". These pretenders are a big contributor to the lack of respect for FCS football.
How? Since the at-most a dozen so-called 'pretenders' never get any publicity anyway, how do they contribute a lack of respect? What the rest of the world outside AGS hears about are 60-7 losses to BCS teams all September. Outside of App vs. Mich., THAT'S what causes a lack of respect for FCS.

401ks
November 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
These pretenders are a big contributor to the lack of respect for FCS football.

Yeah, right.

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth, etc., etc., etc...

These non-scholarship programs are big contributors to the lack of respect for FCS football!

xlolx

Hoyadestroya85
November 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Hide the children! MplsBison is backxbabycryx

appfan2008
November 11th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I dont understand the point... what are you trying to prove by everybody having to have scholarship football???

89Hen
November 11th, 2008, 12:40 PM
I would like it because it sets some minimum requirement for playing FCS football. Now anybody can move up from D-2 or D-3, fully fund the basketball squad, and give the football team slip pickings and still be called D-I I would like minimum schollie req's and minimum attendance. They don't have to be astronomical, but just something so that everyone in FCS has to make an actual commitment to football. Take the rest of the teams and throw them into a third subdivision for non-schollie or low-schollie leagues, let them crown their own champion, and the FCS teams can use one game a year against these teams to count towards playoffs. This is something that will help our subdivision establish itself to the media, and all around football fans.
You really believe what you posted? One, how exactly would this change any perception of what the media or I-A football fan thinks of I-AA? Two, who cares what the media or I-A football fans think? Three, there is a moratorium on moving up so your point about that is moot. Four, if you impose attendance requirements, you'd be kicking out established teams in established conferences... who does that benefit?

DFW HOYA
November 11th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Doesn't this kind of mindless discussion usually start after the season?

AppGrad06
November 11th, 2008, 12:48 PM

B/c he's MplsBison and has nothing better to do than come up with ridiculous ideas and opinions to get people worked up...That or he is just a complete moron can't help it.

Either way it's good for a laugh, though he doesn't actually contribute anything to the quality of the board

DetroitFlyer
November 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM

I agree! PLEASE take all of the FBS wannabee programs now currently in FCS and force them to meet the FBS requirements and move up or fold. It is absolutely pathetic that these programs think they can coast along with 63 scholarships and poor attendance while pretending to be "real" Division I, (read FBS), programs. Nothing would make me happier. Once you get those jokers out of FCS, life would be good and stupid questions like this one would dry up and go away.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 12:58 PM
Schools like Wichita State and Creighton that have done more at D1 than the majority of the schools with football would have to be dropped down. Man what a dump idea but doesnt suprise me coming from the scorce.

Another person who is incapable of reading the word "and".

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I agree! PLEASE take all of the FBS wannabee programs now currently in FCS and force them to meet the FBS requirements and move up or fold. It is absolutely pathetic that these programs think they can coast along with 63 scholarships and poor attendance while pretending to be "real" Division I, (read FBS), programs. Nothing would make me happier. Once you get those jokers out of FCS, life would be good and stupid questions like this one would dry up and go away.

If your school has DI basketball and a football team, the minimum would be 30-40 scholarships at the FCS level.

No idea what you're talking about.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 01:08 PM
You really believe what you posted? One, how exactly would this change any perception of what the media or I-A football fan thinks of I-AA? Two, who cares what the media or I-A football fans think? Three, there is a moratorium on moving up so your point about that is moot. Four, if you impose attendance requirements, you'd be kicking out established teams in established conferences... who does that benefit?

What does media perception have to do with anything? This is about the level of competition.

None of the teams in AQ conferences would be kicked out.

app
November 11th, 2008, 01:09 PM
horrible idea..

MoreheadEagle
November 11th, 2008, 01:15 PM
What does media perception have to do with anything? This is about the level of competition.

If you mean teams that are in FCS Playoff Automatic Qualifier Conferences then yes I can think of a few that would be kicked out. Dayton, Morehead, and Davidson all compete in AQ conferences in every other sport. So does Drake if you count the MVFC and MVC as the same thing.

89Hen
November 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM

So instead of answering my direct questions to you, you pick a post where I'm responding to somebody else that posed those exact questions. It's so damn frustrating here when you post. xoopsx xnonono2x

URMite
November 11th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Ok, I can't believe I'm doing this but...He isn't saying if you have Div I basketball you are required to have football.

He is saying that FCS football should have not just a maximum scholarship limit but a minimum one as well. If you don't meet that minimum you must play somewhere else (No football, Div III (NCAA objects), or a new subdivision).

I'm not sure that I agree but I do have a question. Are there any teams in FBS that give <63 scholarships?

If not, here is a very off the wall proposition...4 subdivisions for Div I football. 85-64 schollys, 63-40, 39-20, 19-0. Not likely but could that work?

401ks
November 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
If not, here is a very off the wall proposition...4 subdivisions for Div I football. 85-64 schollys, 63-40, 39-20, 19-0. Not likely but could that work?

No.

Just ask Harvard, Yale, Princeton, etc...

xrolleyesx

89Hen
November 11th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Water down the divisions further? No thanks.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM
If you mean teams that are in FCS Playoff Automatic Qualifier Conferences then yes I can think of a few that would be kicked out. Dayton, Morehead, and Davidson all compete in AQ conferences in every other sport. So does Drake if you count the MVFC and MVC as the same thing.

And I guarantee none of those teams are going to give up DI basketball to save their non scholarship football teams.

More likely each one will find out a way to eak out 30-40 scholarships for football. That's really what this is about, more than anything: to knock the Pioneer teams off their high horses and force their hand. None of those schools are Ivy league or even Partriot. None of them have an excuse not to have scholarships.

Either get scholarships or kill the program. I doubt many will call that bluff. They'll find a way to get scholarships.

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM
Ok, I can't believe I'm doing this but...He isn't saying if you have Div I basketball you are required to have football.

He is saying that FCS football should have not just a maximum scholarship limit but a minimum one as well. If you don't meet that minimum you must play somewhere else (No football, Div III (NCAA objects), or a new subdivision).

I'm not sure that I agree but I do have a question. Are there any teams in FBS that give <63 scholarships?

Except that the NCAA will not allow you to play anywhere else if you have DI basketball.

Maybe you could play in the NAIA? I don't know that.

Col Hogan
November 11th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Doesn't this kind of mindless discussion usually start after the season?

It is after the season for MplsBison...his team is out of playoff consideration...xcoffeex

Jackman
November 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Are there any teams in FBS that give <63 scholarships?
FBS programs are required to use 90% of the 85 scholarship limit. Since they aren't allowed to grant partial scholarships, it works out to a 77 scholarship minimum.

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 03:05 PM
And I guarantee none of those teams are going to give up DI basketball to save their non scholarship football teams.

More likely each one will find out a way to eak out 30-40 scholarships for football. That's really what this is about, more than anything: to knock the Pioneer teams off their high horses and force their hand. None of those schools are Ivy league or even Partriot. None of them have an excuse not to have scholarships.

Either get scholarships or kill the program. I doubt many will call that bluff. They'll find a way to get scholarships.

it isn't just 30-40 scholarships they would have to shell out. You can't use that as justification if it is not a true statement. They would have to shell out double that in order to comply with the NCAA. If you want to make your justification 60-80 scholarships, then fine. There is a pretty good reason a lot of schools do not have football on scholarship.

401ks
November 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I finally figured it out...

MplsBison gets a hardon every time someone mentions the Pioneer Football League (PFL).

That's the only possible reason that I can see for him constantly bringing it up.

A dead horse can't be the only thing he's beating.

xdeadhorsex

;)

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM
it isn't just 30-40 scholarships they would have to shell out. You can't use that as justification if it is not a true statement. They would have to shell out double that in order to comply with the NCAA. If you want to make your justification 60-80 scholarships, then fine. There is a pretty good reason a lot of schools do not have football on scholarship.

Adding 30 men's scholarships does not automatically mean you must add 30 women's scholarships to be complient with title IX.

Title IX is way more complex than that.

Western Kentucky had to add football scholarships to become compliant!

MplsBison
November 11th, 2008, 05:08 PM
I finally figured it out...

MplsBison gets a hardon every time someone mentions the Pioneer Football League (PFL).

That's the only possible reason that I can see for him constantly bringing it up.

A dead horse can't be the only thing he's beating.

xdeadhorsex

;)

Your school isn't in the Ivy League and it has no excuse for not giving athletic aid to football players.

wideright82
November 11th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Adding 30 men's scholarships does not automatically mean you must add 30 women's scholarships to be complient with title IX.

Title IX is way more complex than that.

Western Kentucky had to add football scholarships to become compliant!

Yep, you're right. Never mind, sorry i bothered arguing, you are right, making schools add 30-40 scholarships to what is more than likely not bringing in enough revenue is probably the right move. VIVA LA MplsBison.

MoreheadEagle
November 11th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Your school isn't in the Ivy League and it has no excuse for not giving athletic aid to football players.

Butler's tuition is pretty expensive, the same for most of the PFL. Morehead has an athletic budget just a little more than UT-Martin and Austin Peay but most of that gets eaten by travel costs. And yes, contrary to what you say Title IX is an issue for adding scholarship football. At MSU we're going to have to add at least two women's teams if we want to return to the OVC to remain compliant.

If schools want to stay non-scholly then great. I agree, the PFL shouldn't get an auto-bid, but if they want to be non-scholly I don't see why there's a problem. Did a PFL team beat your team? Otherwise I don't understand the animosity.

MplsBison
November 12th, 2008, 08:15 AM
At the very least, Morehead has absoletely no excuses.

Murray can do it but Morehead can't? Bulls**t!

MoreheadEagle
November 12th, 2008, 11:25 AM
At the very least, Morehead has absoletely no excuses.

Murray can do it but Morehead can't? Bulls**t!

True, but seriously why does it matter to you. Honestly, if a university doesn't want to eat the cost and Title IX drama that goes with scholarship football then what does it matter to you? You act like schools like Morehead, Dayton, and Drake have some sort of advantage by playing non-scholarship football.

wideright82
November 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
True, but seriously why does it matter to you. Honestly, if a university doesn't want to eat the cost and Title IX drama that goes with scholarship football then what does it matter to you? You act like schools like Morehead, Dayton, and Drake have some sort of advantage by playing non-scholarship football.

I vote this thread gets the ole kibosh.

Appstate29
November 12th, 2008, 12:35 PM

Yes I think it will make us a stronger sub-division, everyone in it will be forced to make a contribution to their football programs, this can only strengthen the sub-division. One and two, the perception matters for the continuing strength of our brand of football. Without some sort of media coverage, I-AA would eventually die out. Three, that moratorium will eventually run out, and without some sort of changes, teams from D-III will continue to move up to get basketball money, and have football teams basically for ceremonial purposes. Four, I said that the requirements don't have to be extreme, 5000 attendence would be a good start, with say 25-30 scholarship minimum.

MplsBison
November 12th, 2008, 12:37 PM

They don't have an advantage, they TAKE advantage of the FCS.

They get the rewards of playing in the FCS without having to pay the dues.

DetroitFlyer
November 12th, 2008, 12:50 PM
They don't have an advantage, they TAKE advantage of the FCS.

They get the rewards of playing in the FCS without having to pay the dues.

Please spell out in detail, the "rewards".

MoreheadEagle
November 12th, 2008, 01:12 PM

Right on! We PFL teams don't get an auto-bid and have to go undefeated to even get a sniff at the playoff.

MplsBison
November 12th, 2008, 02:12 PM

The schools gets to label itself a DI football school.

The school shouldn't get say that without having a financial stake in the team.

DSUrocks07
November 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Yes I think it will make us a stronger sub-division, everyone in it will be forced to make a contribution to their football programs, this can only strengthen the sub-division. One and two, the perception matters for the continuing strength of our brand of football. Without some sort of media coverage, I-AA would eventually die out. Three, that moratorium will eventually run out, and without some sort of changes, teams from D-III will continue to move up to get basketball money, and have football teams basically for ceremonial purposes. Four, I said that the requirements don't have to be extreme, 5000 attendence would be a good start, with say 25-30 scholarship minimum.

xbawlingx

BlueHen86
November 12th, 2008, 02:26 PM

All schools have a financial stake in the team. There are expenses other than scholarships.

DetroitFlyer
November 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM

Yep, the good old University of Dayton gets to play football for free.xrolleyesx I know this is a completely wasted effort, but I have to anyway.... Schools like Dayton and Harvard do not provide ATHLETIC scholarships for football players. They do, however, provide need based and/or academic aid for football players. Do you think it is just luck that Dayton produces so many academic all stars?

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110708aaa.html

If you know how to actually read, click on the link above and try to educate yourself....

Dayton's players do receive aid to attend Dayton. These kids are not paying 100% of the bill to attend UD. I know of kids at UD that are on a 100% scholarship for academics. Kids that turned down Ivy League schools and schools like Carnegie Mellon to attend Dayton. I also know kids who turned down PL schools because Dayton's aid package was competitive with the PL programs.

So your school chooses to offer athletic scholarships to kids that can barely read and write, (I'm thinking that you might fall into that category). Good for them. As a nation, we need programs like yours for kids that could never attend a school like Dayton. Frankly, I think it is a good thing for kids with athletic talent to have an opportunity to attend college and hopefully earn a degree of some type.... It will serve them well in the future.

Still, it is absolutely ridiculous for you to come on here and try to argue that because Dayton's model is different than yours, that Dayton should not be "allowed" to be a Division I football program. The primary difference between the aid that Dayton and Harvard offer versus a typical "athletic" scholarship program is that if a kid quits Dayton's or Harvard's team, he keeps his aid, if he quits at an athletic scholarship program, he almost certainly loses his aid. No doubt at all in my mind which programs are really intended for STUDENT/athletes....

GannonFan
November 12th, 2008, 02:59 PM

Perception? If you ain't BCS, you'll always be perceived as something less than that. Nothing will change that. We can "strengthen" the subdivision all we want, but we will always be second fiddle to the BCS.

I-AA will die out? Really? What are we in, the 30th year or so of this subdivision and it's apparently not going anywhere. Again, there will always be a level below BCS football and we're it.

Yes the moratorium will run out, but I-AA/FCS has surivived people leaving the subdivision and we still go on. And as for teams moving up for the basketball money and only having "ceremonial" teams, no one has ceremonial teams. Most of the PFL may not give scholarships, but they care about football. Heck, most wouldn't be at this level anyway if the NCAA hadn't been pressured by DIII schools thinking wrongly that PFL type schools would dominate that level of football with the access to basketball money they would get. But they certainly care about their football teams. And frankly, why does their inclusion in this level even matter? The PFL has no desire outside of DetroitFlyer to be in the playoffs so they can call themselves whatever they want but they are very much separate from the rest of the division (as seen by the dearth of games within the subdivision). And no one's adding a football team to move up just for basketball - you can't get enough basketball money to afford that anyway.

Much ado about nothing here. The FCS world is fine. Some people like to worry for the sake of worrying.

89Hen
November 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
5000 attendence would be a good start
Sub 5000 includes quite a few teams that may either make the playoffs this year, or have been in them in the past 5-10 years:
Murray St.
Texas Southern
Towson
Savannah St.
Maine
Tenn.-Martin
Howard
Fordham
Central Conn. St.
Northern Colo.
Hofstra
Davidson
Columbia
Dayton
Albany (N.Y.)
San Diego
Delaware St.
Stony Brook
Northeastern
Drake
Charleston So.
Butler
Monmouth
Bucknell
Jacksonville
Valparaiso
Marist
Sacred Heart
Georgetown
Robert Morris
Duquesne
Wagner
Iona
St. Francis (Pa.)

89Hen
November 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM
One and two, the perception matters for the continuing strength of our brand of football. Without some sort of media coverage, I-AA would eventually die out.
We had zero coverage from 1978 through 2000 and limited coverage since. xpeacex

UAalum72
November 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Four, I said that the requirements don't have to be extreme, 5000 attendence would be a good start, with say 25-30 scholarship minimum.
Would eliminate at least a dozen teams from current autobid conferences, while saving such prestigious ly representative FCS schools like Indiana State.

MplsBison
November 12th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Yep, the good old University of Dayton gets to play football for free.xrolleyesx I know this is a completely wasted effort, but I have to anyway.... Schools like Dayton and Harvard do not provide ATHLETIC scholarships for football players. They do, however, provide need based and/or academic aid for football players. Do you think it is just luck that Dayton produces so many academic all stars?

http://daytonflyers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/110708aaa.html

If you know how to actually read, click on the link above and try to educate yourself....

Dayton's players do receive aid to attend Dayton. These kids are not paying 100% of the bill to attend UD. I know of kids at UD that are on a 100% scholarship for academics. Kids that turned down Ivy League schools and schools like Carnegie Mellon to attend Dayton. I also know kids who turned down PL schools because Dayton's aid package was competitive with the PL programs.

So your school chooses to offer athletic scholarships to kids that can barely read and write, (I'm thinking that you might fall into that category). Good for them. As a nation, we need programs like yours for kids that could never attend a school like Dayton. Frankly, I think it is a good thing for kids with athletic talent to have an opportunity to attend college and hopefully earn a degree of some type.... It will serve them well in the future.

Still, it is absolutely ridiculous for you to come on here and try to argue that because Dayton's model is different than yours, that Dayton should not be "allowed" to be a Division I football program. The primary difference between the aid that Dayton and Harvard offer versus a typical "athletic" scholarship program is that if a kid quits Dayton's or Harvard's team, he keeps his aid, if he quits at an athletic scholarship program, he almost certainly loses his aid. No doubt at all in my mind which programs are really intended for STUDENT/athletes....

You shouldn't get to label yourself as a DI football school without offering aid based on athletic ability.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 12th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Pioneer teams are D-I football teams too, and the FCS is a lower level of football, accept it! 2011 can't come fast enough. xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx xprayx

MoreheadEagle
November 12th, 2008, 04:42 PM
You shouldn't get to label yourself as a DI football school without offering aid based on athletic ability.

Yeah! Screw you Ivy League!xrolleyesx
Seriously, what's the point of this thread?

coover
November 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM

Hey, what a good idea. If you want to play DI anything, play DI football. Just look at the Big West teams that would have to add football teams! Cal Poly and UCD would actually be able to find somebody to play. Recruiting would be tougher, but ...