PDA

View Full Version : SIU----E

Saluki09
November 10th, 2008, 10:24 PM
So looking through the AGS boards today I saw SIU Edwardsville is going to be in the OVC in 2011 (http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/ACADEMIC/0708/0610.html). Edwardsville and Carbondale are part of the same system, in that President Glenn Poshard presides over both schools. Are there any other schools like this that have both teams in the same division?

ValleyChamp
November 10th, 2008, 10:30 PM
What? I plead ignorance to this. Please explain.

T-Dog
November 10th, 2008, 10:39 PM
All the public universities in North Carolina are under the UNC system. There are 16 unversities (and one two-year public high school, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics for advanced students) under one president. Each school has their own chancellor, own mascot, own identity. It's a lot like a confederacy. UNC-Chapel Hill is the flagship school (also the patriarch) and commonly referred to as UNC since it's the original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina

So I'm guessing Carbondale will remain SIU while Edwardsville will be SIUE?

clenz
November 10th, 2008, 11:02 PM
I'm guessing it is a lot like Wisconsin and all 30 of the Wisconsin D3 schools

UNI Pike
November 11th, 2008, 12:03 AM
So looking through the AGS boards today I saw SIU Edwardsville is going to be in the OVC in 2011 (http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/ACADEMIC/0708/0610.html). Edwardsville and Carbondale are part of the same system, in that President Glenn Poshard presides over both schools. Are there any other schools like this that have both teams in the same division?

Wow, a directional directional school. Can't wait for them to play North Central West Virgina Polytechnic!

And always, I would love to see John Madden try to call that game.
(My dream match up is still for Madden to call Michigan v Delaware). xlolx

Saluki09
November 11th, 2008, 01:42 AM
All the public universities in North Carolina are under the UNC system. There are 16 unversities (and one two-year public high school, North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics for advanced students) under one president. Each school has their own chancellor, own mascot, own identity. It's a lot like a confederacy. UNC-Chapel Hill is the flagship school (also the patriarch) and commonly referred to as UNC since it's the original.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_North_Carolina

So I'm guessing Carbondale will remain SIU while Edwardsville will be SIUE?

Eh, in Illinois when you tell someone you are going to SIU, you still sometimes have to clarify. Most people assume Carbondale, but if you just say SIUC or SIUE it makes conversation much quicker so you don't have to explain. And wow...16 universities with 1 president...must be a lot of work.

T-Dog
November 11th, 2008, 02:23 AM
Eh, in Illinois when you tell someone you are going to SIU, you still sometimes have to clarify. Most people assume Carbondale, but if you just say SIUC or SIUE it makes conversation much quicker so you don't have to explain. And wow...16 universities with 1 president...must be a lot of work.

Well if you aren't Chapel Hill or NC State, the president mostly ignores you. xsmiley_wix

All the president and his people really do is oversee the budget and keeps everyone in check, then screws most of that work up.

(I know it's a generalization and the UNC system president's job is very important, but you'd be a fool to see that NC State and Chapel Hill don't get preferential treatment)

As for the original question, for UNC-system schools, App St, Western Carolina and UNC-Greensboro are in the SoCon (UNCG doesn't have football). NC State and UNC-Chapel Hill are in the ACC. Winston-Salem State and NC A&T are in the MEAC. Elizabeth City State and Fayetteville State are in the CIAA in Division 2. Everyone else is in a conference without another UNC school in it.

TexasTerror
November 11th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Sam Houston, Lamar and our friends in San Marcos are in the same university system -- The "Texas State University System" (and no, we do not have a flagship). One Chancellor and BoR serves over all of us. Only system in the state without a flagship and where we do not have the same name (though Prairie View A&M and Tarleton State have protection from that in their systems).

Weems
November 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Tennessee has 3 or 4 schools in the System.. UT Knoxville UT Chattanooga and UT Martin. I am not sure about UT Memphis, as i think it is a Medical school only. All these schools are Under President Peterson, but each school has own mascot and chancellor. UTM is OVC, UTC is SoCon, while is UTK is SEC

EKU05
November 11th, 2008, 08:07 PM
A lot of people around the OVC were dissapointed with the addition of SIUE, but I think they can be solid members for the OVC. Obviously they don't bring anything to the table as far as football goes, but the options were pretty thin as far as brining in another football school.

I don't think that adding SIUE will hurt, and it could even pay off in the long run. I think they're a Division I type instition that had been in Division II for too long. I say welcome to the Cougars.

BearsCountry
November 11th, 2008, 08:13 PM

Missouri-Columbia and Missouri-Kansas City

UDBlueLotFan
November 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM

Interestingxeyebrowx I went to an Iowa-SIUE wrestling match back in '84 or '85? I got Dan Gables autographxbowx