PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Power Rankings 11-10

JALMOND
November 10th, 2008, 09:46 PM
As we wind down the regular season, Weber State took one more step closer to the conference title and the auto-bid to the playoffs. Montana is still trying to make up the ground they lost at Ogden earlier in the year. As it sits, both should end up representing the conference in the playoffs this year, barring a major catastrophe. Here are this week's Big Sky power rankings...

1. Weber State (1)---As expected, the Wildcats had no trouble with Idaho State, clinching at least a share of the conference title. Those waiting for the train to derail only have one more game to pin their hopes on. This week, the Wildcats get a breather as they take the weekend off. Maybe to celebrate?

2. Montana (2)---The Griz closed out their road slate with a hard win over Portland State. Still, Weber State's win shut the door a little bit more for the Griz to try to share the title. Even so, the Griz should still make the playoffs, provided they don't give the committee a reason to keep them home for Thanksgiving. That does not look like it will happen this week as they host Idaho State. Griz keep rolling.

3. Montana State (3)---The Bobcats got a well faught, and much needed, win at Northern Arizona this weekend. The defense shut the Jacks down enough for the offense to get the win. This week, they welcome Portland State to Bozeman for a tough conference game. Can the defense ground that high flying passing attack.

4. Sacramento State (5)---So what does it say this year when the usual Hornet doormat is sitting at #4? Says that the doormat is not a doormat any more, but on the verge of becoming a good team. Two tough road wins, one against your non conference rivals, and what could be considered "cupcakes" (??) coming up and the Hornets have something positive to build on for next year. As long as they do not blow it. This weekend, they welcome Northern Colorado to Sacramento. Don't blow it.

5. Northern Arizona (4)---So where exactly is the mindset of the once proud Jacks team right now. Emotional losses to Weber State and Montana, yet a chance to recover at home against Montana State and they could not get it done. Are they content to play out the string? After this week's trip to Eastern Washington it will be over.

6. Eastern Washington (7)---So nice for the Eagles to finally get some life in them, getting a road win at Northern Colorado. Too little, too late, though as the year has passed them by. This week, what could have been a big conference game at home against Northern Arizona has now turned into a "Whatever" game. No glamour for the winner, just the satisfaction.

7. Portland State (6)---The Vikings defense gave the offense a good shot, but in the end, two gutsy calls from Montana and the Vikings own run and shoot shot themselves in the foot and the Vikings were on the losing end at home for the first time. Things do not get any easier this week as they head to Bozeman and face Montana State. Question, who wants to quarterback this mess?

8. Northern Colorado (8)---A chance to make a statement against a struggling Eastern Washington team and the Bears can not rise to the occasion. Except for Idaho State earlier, the Bears find themselves once again on the short end. Now, no more home games, this week they go to Sacramento State. How close will this be?

9. Idaho State (9)---The Bengals got blown out again, this time at home against Weber State. At this time, nothing going right for the Bengals, and everything is going wrong. Did I say everything? This weekend, they have to go to Missoula and face Montana. Bengals just cannot catch a break, even on the schedule.

Breakdown this week: WSU out front, UM behind. MSU, Sac State, and NAU pretty close, with EWU a little bit behind and PSU a little bit behind the Eagles. UNC lagging behind and ISU a long way back.

mvemjsunpx
November 10th, 2008, 10:43 PM
One question: why do you have Weber ahead of Montana here, but behind Montana on your AGS Ballot?

Native
November 10th, 2008, 10:49 PM
One question: why do you have Weber ahead of Montana here, but behind Montana on your AGS Ballot?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Nice analysis anyway, JALMOND!xbowx

gbhmt
November 10th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Because a power ranking is not the same as who do you think is a better team ranking.

mvemjsunpx
November 10th, 2008, 11:19 PM
Because a power ranking is not the same as who do you think is a better team ranking.

Uh, yes it is.

UNCBears2010
November 10th, 2008, 11:26 PM
UNC should be ranked 8.5, we're that bad.

dbackjon
November 10th, 2008, 11:28 PM
Sac State ahead of NAU, after NAU pounded them by 30?

Proud Griz Man
November 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM

Well said Mr. Fire Jerome. xnonono2x

CopperCat
November 10th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Uh, yes it is.

NO, its not. A POLL implies actual ranking. Power rankings are more a snapshot of a team at a given point in the season. A poll doesn't always capture that same snapshot (being way underrated/overrated after winning/losing, as an example).

But JA, if WSU actually IS lower than UM in your poll, you may want to rethink that.

Peems
November 11th, 2008, 12:21 AM
I think the difference is what a previous poster said about a snapshot. Jalmond's had teams jump from 6 to 3 and all over it's what the team showed last week. The poll is the entire season. At least that's how I see it xtwocentsx

mvemjsunpx
November 11th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I think the difference is what a previous poster said about a snapshot. Jalmond's had teams jump from 6 to 3 and all over it's what the team showed last week. The poll is the entire season. At least that's how I see it xtwocentsx

Typically "power rankings" cover the entire season, too, as power rankings and polls/poll ballots usually measure the same thing: a ranking of how good you think teams are. JALMOND's apparently are based more on recent performances, though, and that's fine.

Given that, though, why would Weber be behind Montana for the whole season but ahead of them based on recent performances? I believe Weber should be ahead based on any criteria, but if you were going to make the two rankings different, shouldn't it be the other way around (Montana ahead for recent performances & Weber ahead for the whole season).

JALMOND
November 11th, 2008, 12:43 AM

Aaaahhh!!!! One of the quirks between the two. Usually these things work themselves out (and if my Vikings would have beat the Griz last week, all would have been right with the world). The week that Weber beat the Griz, I dropped the Griz as far as I thought I could, and bumped the Wildcats up as high as I thought I could. The first week in October and I saw that "problem", but I thought I'd have enough time to fix it. But, yes, time is running out and it is still there. I tried to force it when the Wildcats had that close win at home against Northern Colorado, then they blew out Northern Arizona and I had to move them back to #1. I couldn't drop Montana in the poll that same week as they blew out that same Northern Colorado team. So here we are.

Think of it as Montana is ahead in the popular vote, and Weber is ahead in the electorial vote.xthumbsupx

JALMOND
November 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM

Both are different teams than they were then. Sac State currently is heading up, NAU currently heading down. Right now, NAU probably could win at NAU, but I'd have to give the edge to Sac State at Sac-Town and on a neutral field. Alot of things have happened since early October.

JALMOND
November 11th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Aaaahhh!!!! One of the quirks between the two. Usually these things work themselves out (and if my Vikings would have beat the Griz last week, all would have been right with the world). The week that Weber beat the Griz, I dropped the Griz as far as I thought I could, and bumped the Wildcats up as high as I thought I could. The first week in October and I saw that "problem", but I thought I'd have enough time to fix it. But, yes, time is running out and it is still there. I tried to force it when the Wildcats had that close win at home against Northern Colorado, then they blew out Northern Arizona and I had to move them back to #1. I couldn't drop Montana in the poll that same week as they blew out that same Northern Colorado team. So here we are.

Think of it as Montana is ahead in the popular vote, and Weber is ahead in the electorial vote.xthumbsupx

I still have some things up my sleeve. Depending on the outcome of this weekend's game with Idaho State, Weber State having a bye, I might push Montana over Weber State in the power rankings. A Montana State win over Montana would be enough to knock the Griz down in my poll, but I think I'd still take a 2 loss Griz team over a 4 loss Cat team in the power rankings (maybe). If Weber State struggles against Eastern Washington and the Griz have an easy time with the Cats, I might flip them in the power rankings. So I still have some things that could happen to "fix" it.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 11th, 2008, 02:06 AM
I don't agree with NAU ahead of EWU... if these are power rankings, NAU is on a 3 game losing streak, whereas EWU has gone 2-1 the last 3 games.

Walkon79
November 11th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Typically "power rankings" cover the entire season, too, as power rankings and polls/poll ballots usually measure the same thing: a ranking of how good you think teams are. JALMOND's apparently are based more on recent performances, though, and that's fine.

Given that, though, why would Weber be behind Montana for the whole season but ahead of them based on recent performances? I believe Weber should be ahead based on any criteria, but if you were going to make the two rankings different, shouldn't it be the other way around (Montana ahead for recent performances & Weber ahead for the whole season).

I'm perplexed as well. Hasn't Weber risen to the challenge every week since beating the Griz in Odgen? They are higher in the power rankings and should be higher in the polls IMO, and should be the seeded team from the BSC when the playoff brackets are finalized, assuming they win out.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 11th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Here is a question that might help explain a power ranking as well IMHO.....

Is the Montana team playing the same as when they lost in Ogden?
Is a Weber State team playing the same as when they Won in Ogden?

Lots of water under the bridge and a lot of football has been played.

Walkon79
November 11th, 2008, 12:20 PM

The Griz are obviously playing better than they were a month and a half ago, but who can say that Weber is not? They're also undefeated in that span.

Native
November 11th, 2008, 01:10 PM

Montana appears to have taken three steps forward every week except last week against Portland State when they stumbled in the first half. For the most part, they have not really played like the young team that they are. I agree that Montana is playing better now than they did against Weber.

Weber has tended to take three steps forward and one step back. The Wildcats are also a young team, and this is the first year that Mac has all his recruits available. Some flaws have been exposed against stronger teams, but those flaws seem to get repaired within a quarter or two - a sign of smart players and excellent coaching.

After playing Utah, Weber was actually down at the start of the Montana game. As you may recall, the Grizz scored first and stayed in the lead until 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. The Wildcats made some big plays to take the lead at the end of the 2nd quarter and made some adjustments at the half to outscore UM 14-7 in the second half and seal the deal.

Since then, the defense has grown more tactically agile and an already superb offense has moved forward in fits and starts. Like the Grizz O, there are just too many weapons in the WSU arsenal. More importantly and often overlooked, the Wildcats continue to overachieve in the trenches, just as they did against Montana. xcoolx

You may also recall that Weber special teams were mediocre in the UM game. Since that time the kicker's groin injury has healed and the long snapper has improved. Now we average 4 touchbacks on kickoff per game instead of one. The next time we play, the average Grizz starting point after kickoff will be the 20 instead of the 32, an important consideration against a Grizz team leading the conference in rushing. xnodx

Might be a good game. :)

ursus arctos horribilis
November 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Montana appears to have taken three steps forward every week except last week against Portland State when they stumbled in the first half. For the most part, they have not really played like the young team that they are. I agree that Montana is playing better now than they did against Weber.

Weber has tended to take three steps forward and one step back. The Wildcats are also a young team, and this is the first year that Mac has all his recruits available. Some flaws have been exposed against stronger teams, but those flaws seem to get repaired within a quarter or two - a sign of smart players and excellent coaching.

After playing Utah, Weber was actually down at the start of the Montana game. As you may recall, the Grizz scored first and stayed in the lead until 6 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. The Wildcats made some big plays to take the lead at the end of the 2nd quarter and made some adjustments at the half to outscore UM 14-7 in the second half and seal the deal.

Since then, the defense has grown more tactically agile and an already superb offense has moved forward in fits and starts. Like the Grizz O, there are just too many weapons in the WSU arsenal. More importantly and often overlooked, the Wildcats continue to overachieve in the trenches, just as they did against Montana. xcoolx

You may also recall that Weber special teams were mediocre in the UM game. Since that time the kicker's groin injury has healed and the long snapper has improved. Now we average 4 touchbacks on kickoff per game instead of one. The next time we play, the average Grizz starting point after kickoff will be the 20 instead of the 32, an important consideration against a Grizz team leading the conference in rushing. xnodx

Might be a good game. :)

Weber had to drive an average of 45yds/score as well and I think that would be different in a rematch as well. Making a team like Weber drive more than 45 yds for a score is key to not getting beaten.

gbhmt
November 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Weber had to drive an average of 45yds/score as well and I think that would be different in a rematch as well. Making a team like Weber drive more than 45 yds for a score is key to not getting beaten.

Or at least slowing the beating down.

Native
November 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Or at least slowing the beating down.

True. Applies to both teams.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 11th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I guess my point above is, Weber beat the Griz in Ogden but both are playing different now. I'm not saying the Griz would win now, or loose now. The fact remains both have been playing well and it will be an interesting question to be answered in the playoffs, gotta love it too......who has improved the most? xnodx

JALMOND
November 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
I don't agree with NAU ahead of EWU... if these are power rankings, NAU is on a 3 game losing streak, whereas EWU has gone 2-1 the last 3 games.

A home loss to Sac State is rather perplexing. If the Eagles would have lost in Sacramento, probably be a different story. I myself, like road conference wins. Just win this weekend and you'll be ahead of the Jacks.

You do have a point. I will consider it next week.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 12th, 2008, 12:38 AM
A home loss to Sac State is rather perplexing. If the Eagles would have lost in Sacramento, probably be a different story. I myself, like road conference wins. Just win this weekend and you'll be ahead of the Jacks.

You do have a point. I will consider it next week.

Agreed, but we aren't a strong team at home. We did however beat Montana State at home, who beat the Jacks at home... who are still ahead of EWU.

JALMOND
November 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM
Agreed, but we aren't a strong team at home. We did however beat Montana State at home, who beat the Jacks at home... who are still ahead of EWU.

...Who won't be if EWU wins this weekend.xthumbsupx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 12th, 2008, 01:11 AM
...Who won't be if EWU wins this weekend.xthumbsupx

Just saying a NAU team who lost at home this last week and an EWU team that won on the road this last week should count coming into this week.

uofmman1122
November 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Just saying a NAU team who lost at home this last week and an EWU team that won on the road this last week should count coming into this week.Well, considering the results of the last three weeks, and that NAU has been over-ranked for all of those games, I think you should just let it slide and let them be ranked higher than EWU. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Screamin_Eagle174
November 12th, 2008, 01:19 AM
Well, considering the results of the last three weeks, and that NAU has been over-ranked for all of those games, I think you should just let it slide and let them be ranked higher than EWU. xlolxxlolxxlolx

Yeah, well... I think you should BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!

:D

JALMOND
November 12th, 2008, 01:24 AM
Just saying a NAU team who lost at home this last week and an EWU team that won on the road this last week should count coming into this week.

NAU #5, EWU #6. Its not like they are #4 and #8.

EWU lost two weeks ago to #4 at home, NAU lost to #3 at home. NAU also lost to #1 and #2 the last two weeks, EWU beat #3 and #8. I'd give you too close to call.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 12th, 2008, 01:28 AM
NAU #5, EWU #6. Its not like they are #4 and #8.

EWU lost two weeks ago to #4 at home, NAU lost to #3 at home. NAU also lost to #1 and #2 the last two weeks, EWU beat #3 and #8. I'd give you too close to call.

I demand a recount! xrulesx

Edit: :p

GolfingGriz
November 12th, 2008, 01:30 AM
This year 3 through 7 are too confusing and should just be clumped into one big group. Everyone happy?

I Bleed Purple
November 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM
You could end up #3, Screamin', if you win your last two games.

Screamin_Eagle174
November 12th, 2008, 04:50 AM
You could end up #3, Screamin', if you win your last two games.

You mean Eastern could end up #3. As for me... I'm always number 1! xlolx

EWU would be first in POWER rankings if we won our last two; we'd have been the only team in conference to beat Weber. Plus we'd be 4-1 to close the season.

The sad thing is, we HAVE to win the remaining two games to even have a winning record. Otherwise we'll end up 5-6 or 4-7, and I'm calling for Baldwin's head!