PDA

View Full Version : SoCon roundup

GSU Eagle
November 12th, 2005, 07:29 PM
The big 3 all won today so for all practical purposes ASU won the auto-bid today. If ASU loses at Elon next week Boone may be burned down.

Furman has 1 game left at Chattanooga. That could be a tough game but even if Furman loses I still believe they make the playoffs at 8-3.

GSU routed a terribly overmatched Morehead St. team today 63-17. Season over at 8-3. GSU clearly is in the playoffs.

I believe ASU will end up with a seed, probably #3 or #4. Furman and GSU will both be unseeded but I believe both will host in the 1st round. I don't think the committee cares if all 3 from 1 conference host. If that is a big concern then probably GSU goes on the road.

Either GSU or Furman probably will be in the same bracket as Appalachian, so 1 of them could very well be headed to Boone for Round 2.

It is always hard to predict the playoff matchups because it is hard to know how far the committee will go to "regionalize" things.

yosefcity
November 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
Furmie will be headed to Boone. Mark it down. Thats a matchup that ESPN wants.

GaSouthern
November 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Furmie will be headed to Boone. Mark it down. Thats a matchup that ESPN wants.

I hope it happens this way!!! I would be glued to the TV. I hope Costal Carolina comes to Paulson and we show them how SoCon Football is played... again.

Paladin05
November 12th, 2005, 08:45 PM
I hope it happens this way!!! I would be glued to the TV. I hope Costal Carolina comes to Paulson and we show them how SoCon Football is played... again.

While I agree Furman COULD be headed to Boone for a quarterfinal of semis matchup, I find it surprising that it is a forgone conclusion that App will be seeded higher. Furman beat App head-to-head, will probably have a better record and be ranked higher at year's end. Sure, App could get the higher seed, but it isn't for certain by any means.

LarryBoy
November 12th, 2005, 08:51 PM
ASU--Auto-bid
Furman--Better record/ranking (hopefully) and victory over ASU

I have no idea who will get it. I don't think the committee is required to give the higher seed to the autobid, so I say it's a toss-up.

I do know this--the LAST place I want to go in the playoffs is Boone. I admit it. I'm scared of the place. ASU doesn't lose at home...but then again, Furman doesn't lose at home either. So let's just play it at a neutral sight. Chattanooga, maybe?

GSU Eagle
November 12th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Yes Furman beat ASU, but Furman lost to WCU and GSU -- 2 teams that Appalachian beat decisively. I don't believe there is precedent to give a seed to a 2nd place team in a conference and not give a seed to the conference champion. Of course I could be wrong, but I can remember an instance of that being done.

If there are co-champions then I could see it, but if Furman and ASU win next week ASU is the sole SoCon champ. Actually Furman would be 3rd as GSU defeated them.

LarryBoy
November 12th, 2005, 09:01 PM
I don't think the committee will take transitivity into account.

Suppose a team went undefeated in the conference, but finished 7-4, including a victory over a team that finished 10-1. Do you deny the 10-1 team the high seed because they weren't the conference champion? I doubt it.

That's an extreme case, and I'm not saying that ASU doesn't deserve the seed. I'm just saying both teams have credentials.

Eaglegus2
November 12th, 2005, 09:02 PM
GSU Eagle..........would you please give me your reasoning for GSU playing on the road?

I am extremely interested!

GSU Eagle
November 12th, 2005, 09:08 PM
I don't believe we will be on the road in Round 1. The only way we are is if the committee is just determined that 3 teams from 1 conference won't get home games. Appalachian will be at home as I expect them to get a top 4 seed. Furman I expect to be at home in Round 1 also. There may be some gripping about giving 1 conference 3 home games and IF THAT COMES INTO ACCOUNT we would likely be the one on the road.

My best guess right now is Round 1: Either YSU, Coastal or SIU at GSU

Round 2: GSU at Appalachian

We will see

catamount man
November 12th, 2005, 09:39 PM
Good luck to my fellow SoCon teams and their fans in the playoffs. I'll sit here with a winning record for the first time in 4 years and pray our coaches and players start working on 2006 THIS COMING FREAKING MONDAY! GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Saint3333
November 12th, 2005, 10:04 PM
It's nice for things to be back to normal, with ASU, Furman, and GSU all in the playoffs.

I believe all 3 will have home games in the first round due to good attendance figures. I also see a GSU and Furman rematch in Greenville in the second round.

Still have to beat Elon. Hope to see you guys in Boone or even better Nooga!

Kill'em
November 12th, 2005, 10:13 PM
If I remember correctly, they now seed the top 8 teams. It would be likely that all three SoCon teams will be seeded, if this makes any difference.

catamount man
November 12th, 2005, 10:17 PM
It's nice for things to be back to normal, with ASU, Furman, and GSU all in the playoffs.

How rude of the other 5 teams in the SoCon to actually try and win games to make the playoffs, right?! Guess that wouldn't be "normal"! Sheesh! :mad: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

youwouldno
November 12th, 2005, 10:18 PM
I'm not sure I'd rather go to, say, UNH, than to Boone. At least we've played in Boone a lot and played App this year.

Of course, there are many more preferable destinations than Boone. It takes a lot to come out of there with a win.

EagleCrusade
November 12th, 2005, 10:31 PM
How rude of the other 5 teams in the SoCon to actually try and win games to make the playoffs, right?! Guess that wouldn't be "normal"! Sheesh! :mad: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

It's not rude at all. It's just abnormal that the other 5 win games.

Eaglegus2
November 12th, 2005, 10:32 PM
I look for Georgia Southern to be placed in the west bracket.

App & Furman will be in the east. just my opinion.

I believe that a App & Furman rematch will be in the semis.

ChiefGSU275
November 12th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I dont know where anyone will be, because I dont understand how they set up the playoff brackets. They just dont make any sense to me at all. Regionalization sends a #5 UNH team to a #4 GSU team last year. How is that regionalized?

Saint3333
November 12th, 2005, 10:49 PM
Rude??? :confused:

They've always tired, they've just lost.

The big 3 are in some people's opinion 3 of the top ten 1-AA teams over the past 20 years.

catamount man
November 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Sorry Saint, I'm just one big pissed off Catamount tonight! :bang: GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eagle22
November 12th, 2005, 11:03 PM
I dont know where anyone will be, because I dont understand how they set up the playoff brackets. They just dont make any sense to me at all. Regionalization sends a #5 UNH team to a #4 GSU team last year. How is that regionalized?

Same hemisphere :D

Eagles_Cliff
November 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM
While I agree Furman COULD be headed to Boone for a quarterfinal of semis matchup, I find it surprising that it is a forgone conclusion that App will be seeded higher. Furman beat App head-to-head, will probably have a better record and be ranked higher at year's end. Sure, App could get the higher seed, but it isn't for certain by any means.

I agree.

SoCon48
November 12th, 2005, 11:28 PM

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

SoCon48
November 12th, 2005, 11:29 PM

Ay dayum men!

SoCon48
November 12th, 2005, 11:32 PM

I believe all 3 will have home games in the first round due to good attendance figures. I also see a GSU and Furman rematch in Greenville in the second round.

Still have to beat Elon. Hope to see you guys in Boone or even better Nooga!

I wouldn't bet much against Coastal beating out GSU. I'd be very pissed, but not surprised.

youwouldno
November 13th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Come now. In Statesboro, the beach chickens have not a prayer, ditto for in Boone or Greenville.

The whole thing is quite up in the air... just have to see what the committee decides and then get it done on the field.

GSUhooligan
November 13th, 2005, 12:48 AM
I wouldn't bet much against Coastal beating out GSU. I'd be very pissed, but not surprised.

For a bid? For a home game? In a game against eachother? What do you mean by that?

yosefcity
November 13th, 2005, 10:34 AM
Why is every Furman fan already chalking up a victory AT Chattanooga. Its not like their Elon (ASU's next victim).

They are a decent team with alot to play for. Chatty has had two weeks to prepare. Its at home and its there senior day.

I would not be giving ones self a top 4 seed until you get past UTC and before you guys say we can't give ourselves a top 4 seed until we play Elon, wake up, its Elon.
GO MOCS!!!!

Saint3333
November 13th, 2005, 10:40 AM
2005 GSU would beat CCU by 35. ASU ran all over CCU and GSU would do the same.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 13th, 2005, 10:42 AM
If I remember correctly, they now seed the top 8 teams. It would be likely that all three SoCon teams will be seeded, if this makes any difference.

Are you sure about that? Where did you hear that?

LarryBoy
November 13th, 2005, 10:50 AM
Why is every Furman fan already chalking up a victory AT Chattanooga. Its not like their Elon (ASU's next victim).

They are a decent team with alot to play for. Chatty has had two weeks to prepare. Its at home and its there senior day.

I would not be giving ones self a top 4 seed until you get past UTC and before you guys say we can't give ourselves a top 4 seed until we play Elon, wake up, its Elon.
GO MOCS!!!!

We're not assuming it. Or at least I'm not. I'm always uneasy about playing at Chattanooga, because, except for the last two years, they've given us plenty of nail-biters (1999 and 2000 come to mind). But still, we've won 10 straight over them. We know what we're getting in to. I have no doubt that Chatt has a lot to play for, but I'm pretty sure that our players know what we're playing for, too. Chatt's off-field distractions don't bode well for them, either.

I'm not assuming a win, but I'm certainly predicting one.

SpiritCymbal
November 13th, 2005, 12:06 PM
I'm just "worried" that the playoff committee is going to screw the SoCon again by putting all three teams on the same side of the bracket like they did in 2001. It was disgusting that out of ASU, FU and GSU that year only one even had a shot to make it to Chattanooga. Those three teams would have EASILY been 3 of the 4 semifinal teams that year if the playoff committee would have allowed it.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 12:39 PM
I'm just "worried" that the playoff committee is going to screw the SoCon again by putting all three teams on the same side of the bracket like they did in 2001. It was disgusting that out of ASU, FU and GSU that year only one even had a shot to make it to Chattanooga. Those three teams would have EASILY been 3 of the 4 semifinal teams that year if the playoff committee would have allowed it.

You're preaching to the choir in my case.
I totally agree. And they thought we were gullible enough to believe that money saving, post 9-11 travel safety baloney when they sent Maine to Boone in '02 in the FIRST round!
The idea all along was to help eliminate some of the SoCon's Big Three in early rounds, otherwise there could be that dreaded all So-Con NChamp game by low balling our seeds or putting us up against each other early on.

SpiritCymbal
November 13th, 2005, 12:41 PM
You're preaching to the choir in my case.
I totally agree. And they thought we were gullible enough to believe that money saving, post 9-11 travel safety baloney when they sent Maine to Boone in '02 in the FIRST round!
The idea all along was to help eliminate some of the SoCon's Big Three in early rounds, otherwise there could be that dreaded all So-Con NChamp game by low balling our seeds or putting us up against each other early on.
And sending #5 UNH to #4 GSU last year too.

Kill'em
November 13th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Are you sure about that? Where did you hear that?
I'm not positive if it's true, but I've heard this several times.

Kill'em
November 13th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I just read an article on i-aa.org and it says the top four teams are seeded. Once again, I stand corrected :bang:

Purple Knight
November 13th, 2005, 08:39 PM

"GOOOOOOOO BLUE, ONE MORE TIME!!!!!"

You are dreaming. One int/poor judgement and you consider that GSU 'owned' Martin? What game were you at?