PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to Liberty

CSUBUCDAD
November 10th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Wrapped up the Big south for the second consecutive season. Congrats to the Flames. Look forward to taking a shot at you again next season.

SuperJon
November 10th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks. No matter what goals we had for the postseason, the first goal of the year was defending our title and we did that. We've got one more conference game left then a respect game vs Elon so we can't celebrate too much yet.

With that being said, I can't wait to get my ring.

PaladinFan
November 10th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Wofford and Furman would appreciate a Liberty victory over Elon.

CSUBUCDAD
November 10th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Wofford and Furman would appreciate a Liberty victory over Elon.

I don't blame you considering if Elon wins, then one of you are likely to be home in round 1.

SuperJon
November 10th, 2008, 05:21 PM
My honest opinion is there's still a chance but I've got a better chance of losing 50 pounds by day break.

We HAVE to win our last two games to even have a 25-30% chance, and even then that may be high.

kirkblitz
November 10th, 2008, 06:09 PM
congrats to liberty for leaving their un finished buisness unfinished. see you next year xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

matfu
November 10th, 2008, 06:15 PM
Will Liberty make the playoffs?

ZERO % chance...as in 0, nada, no way!

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2008, 07:01 PM
I realize it's unlikely but if Elon beats Appalachian State to tie for the Southern Conference championship then Liberty beats Elon to finish 10-2 (assuming they beat Gardner Webb) and 8-2 against D-I, I'd think they'd have at least SOME shot depending on what else happens around the country.

elon77
November 10th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Since your biggest fan is unable to congratulate you I will do it for him. Congratulation on a great year, Citdog. I think he is in the pound.

SuperJon
November 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I realize it's unlikely but if Elon beats Appalachian State to tie for the Southern Conference championship then Liberty beats Elon to finish 10-2 (assuming they beat Gardner Webb) and 8-2 against D-I, I'd think they'd have at least SOME shot depending on what else happens around the country.

* Watching the election coverage last week, I noticed on NBC that they kept discussing a “path of victory” for John McCain, and all the dominos that had to fall into place for the Arizona senator to get to 270 electoral votes, knowing good and well that it was a longshot. So I’ll do something similar here, a “path to the 16” for Liberty, which has clinched the Big South title and is still hoping to sneak into the field somehow. Here’s my best guess at that path:

1. Liberty beats Gardner-Webb and Elon. If LU doesn’t satisfy this requirement, there’s no need to read on.

2. Georgia Southern upsets Furman in Greenville this week, essentially eliminating the Paladins from the conversation.

3. Samford upsets Wofford in Birmingham this week, and Furman turns around and beats Wofford next week. The Terriers would be done.

4. JMU beats William & Mary Saturday in Harrisonburg. A W&M win would be a disaster for the Flames, as it would open the door to both W&M and Richmond gaining bids if the Spiders then beat the Tribe Nov. 22.

5. Southern Illinois beats South Dakota State in Carbondale Saturday, knocking the Jackrabbits completely out of the race.

6. Massachusetts rebounds and beats New Hampshire at home Saturday, dropping UNH to 7-3. Maine then beats UNH in the season finale, leaving Maine at 9-3, UNH at 7-4 and UMass at 8-4. In that case, Maine will be the only CAA North at-large bid. I don’t see any scenario (short of Rhode Island beating Maine this week, which won’t happen) where the CAA North is shut out.

In essence, Liberty is gunning for the spot currently occupied by Elon in the projection, but just beating the Phoenix won’t be enough to snag it. The Flames still need lots of help from other schools around the country. One more note, Liberty fans should NOT root for Elon to beat App State this week. If that happens, there’s no way Elon DOESN’T make the tournament, regardless of what happens in Lynchburg Nov. 22.

http://www.newsadvance.com/lna/sports/sports_blog/article/new_fcs_top_25_fcs_playoff_bracket_projection/10397/

That's how slim our chances are.