PDA

View Full Version : What happens if???

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2008, 08:51 PM
JMU loses to W&M this weekend...do they still get the #1?

ASU loses to elon this weekend do they get a seed?

just wondering everyone elses opinions.

Ronbo
November 9th, 2008, 08:53 PM
And what happens if 9-1 Montana loses to 0-10 Idaho State? What happens then?

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Montana will regain its status as the state with the highest suicide rate in the US.

JMU loses to W&M this weekend...do they still get the #1?

ASU loses to elon this weekend do they get a seed?

I think anyone could leave then #1 after that. But it's not happening.

mineral griz
November 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Don't think it will happen

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2008, 08:56 PM

they would be in bad shape

LehighFan11
November 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
If W&M were to beat JMU and App were to handle Elon, no doubt in my mind I would vote App #1.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM

Chinese riding flying pigs will drop bombs on the White House.

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
If W&M were to beat JMU and App were to handle Elon, no doubt in my mind I would vote App #1.

Thats kinda what I was wondering, but how bad would App have to handle elon? like Wofford?

and If everyone wins out at the top except App losing does App miss out on even a #4 seed

JmuSkinsfan
November 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
If JMU loses to W&M they shouldn't drop past #2. I would have #1 ASU and #2 JMU ... BUT we all know Montana will go up cause everyone loves them

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM
If JMU loses to W&M they shouldn't drop past #2. I would have #1 ASU and #2 JMU ... BUT we all know Montana will go up cause everyone loves them

There's no way they'll only lose one spot.

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2008, 09:01 PM

could we see

1 ASU
2 JMU
3 Weber State
4 Montana

?

Edge316007
November 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Right or wrong, JMU would drop at least below App with a loss (assuming App wins, regardless of how big of a win). If App loses, they don't get seeded. It's just too close in my opinion and Villnova, Northern Iowa/SIU, ect. are waiting in the wings for a seed.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 09:06 PM
could we see

1 ASU
2 JMU
3 Weber State
4 Montana

?

No. JMU would be lucky to stay in top five after a loss outside of the top five.

Poly Pigskin
November 9th, 2008, 09:07 PM

JMU and App aren't light years ahead of the other teams like you guys seem to think. It would depend on how badly they lose, but I would definitely drop them multiple spots.

appstate1998
If you don't get the auto for your conference you should not get a seed....meaning if Elon wins and gets the autobid App should not be seeded

LehighFan11
No. JMU would be lucky to stay in top five after a loss outside of the top five.
No, I wouldn't drop JMU below Richmond...4ish area.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
No, I wouldn't drop JMU below Richmond...4ish area.

Richmond may drop though because their close loss against #1 JMU would then end up being a close loss against a somewhere-in-the-top-10 JMU.

Edge316007
November 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
If you don't get the auto for your conference you should not get a seed....meaning if Elon wins and gets the autobid App should not be seeded

If Elon wins (and Wofford wins out) then there's a 3 way tie at the top with each team going 1-1 against the other two.

Ronbo
November 9th, 2008, 09:10 PM

The auto bid means little to the committee. Wofford got the auto and didn't even get a home game.

asknoquarter21
November 9th, 2008, 09:16 PM
The auto bid means little to the committee. Wofford got the auto and didn't even get a home game.

There is no money there....more money in Montana

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
There is no money there....more money in Montana

Money doesn't factor in until beyond the four top seeds.

Edge316007
November 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
You can believe that all you want but if it comes down to two schools with pretty identical seasons, you can bet money talks.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 09:21 PM
You can believe that all you want but if it comes down to two schools with pretty identical seasons, you can bet money talks.

So then it talks and App gets a seed and Wofford doesn't but still gets their deserved home game. Except they didn't.

Edge316007
November 9th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Because neither team deserved seeds? If both were fighting for a seed you can bet App would have claimed it.

asucrutch23
November 9th, 2008, 09:27 PM
JMU loses to W&M this weekend...do they still get the #1? No way.

ASU loses to elon this weekend do they get a seed? No.

Answers in bold

asucrutch23
November 9th, 2008, 09:32 PM
If App and JMU both lose once more, I think we will see the seeds being Weber, Montana, UNI, and JMU... not in that order necessarily.

uofmman1122
November 10th, 2008, 03:54 AM
If App and JMU lose? Could get really tricky.

I think the seeding might look something like this (assuming other teams win out, including Cal Poly over Wisconsin):

1. Cal Poly (9-1)
2. Montana (11-1)
3. Villanova (9-2)
4. Weber State (10-2)

If Cal Poly doesn't win and ASU and JMU lose, it's more like this:

1. Montana (11-1)
2. Villanova (9-2)
3. Weber State (10-2)
4. Cal Poly (8-2)/JMU (9-2)/UNI (10-2)

xtwocentsx

appstate1998
November 10th, 2008, 07:12 AM

little means anything to the selection committee it seems some years. I just think if you can't get your own conferences auto you shouldn't be seeded, unless that is you are both seeded. For instance I could see weber and montana both getting a seed if they win out.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I know i am a homer but if jmu falls and app wins big i will push app to the top... i have been itching to do so ever since the wofford thrashing

Mountain Panther
November 10th, 2008, 07:40 AM

Then the "fire Hauck" talk starts again.

uofmman1122
November 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM
Then the "fire Hauck" talk starts again.That's going to happen unless Montana wins the NC. xlolx

FCS Go!
November 10th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Then the "fire Hauck" talk starts again.

The "fire Hauck" talk never stops, wins or no.

89Hen
November 10th, 2008, 08:02 AM
JMU loses to W&M this weekend

ASU loses to elon this weekend

And what happens if 9-1 Montana loses to 0-10 Idaho State?
Possible, possible, impossible.

gbhmt
November 10th, 2008, 08:32 AM
The "fire Hauck" talk never stops, wins or no.

Hauck will never be fired. A good season from Hauck would be better for all the anti-Hauck people because it increases the chances of him getting a job at FBS.

th0m
November 10th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Richmond may drop though because their close loss against #1 JMU would then end up being a close loss against a somewhere-in-the-top-10 JMU.

As long as Richmond would keep winning, I see no reason to drop Richmond after a JMU loss. Fact remains that Richmond would have lost to a higher ranked team (even after a hypothetical JMU loss) and they should not be punished for that. According to your logic, when playing a ranked team (especially in close proximity) it is best to not blow them out when possible, because it would in turn discredit the win and could consequently mean a fall in ranking, despite said win? I think one win or one loss does not - especially after 10 games being played - alter the resume of another team's ranking especially in a loss.

james_lawfirm
November 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Money doesn't factor in until beyond the four top seeds.

Not sure that's correct. The 4 seeds must put up minimum bids like everyone else. IF a school could not or would not make a minimum bid, then no seed.

Further, it's just common sense. If two teams are close in terms of rankings & committee preferences, then anyone who thinks the NCAA would not prefer the one it thinks will draws more ticket sales must have flunked Econ. 101.