PDA

View Full Version : Who has surprised you this year for your program?

mtgrizfan4life
November 9th, 2008, 07:36 PM
This year the Montana Grizzlies would not be where they are at if it were not for 3 guys that came out of nowhere this year.

Freshman CB- Trumaine Johnson was thrown into the fire in a very inexperienced CB group. Himself included, never even played CB in High School. After a few growing pains, 4 picks later, he has emerged into a shutdown corner.

Junior, WR- Marc Mariani was expected to start this year and contribute. Even the most optimistic GRIZ fan had him as a number 1, with a very solid year. However, not only is he a number 1 but putting up All American numbers. His game has allowed for rest of the offense to open up, leading to my 3rd member on this list.

Sophomore, rb- Chase Reynolds was at best expected to be 1 of 3 contributing RB's this year. Many GRIZ fans thought he was at best average some thinking not worthy of being a GRIZ. Some thought he did not have what it takes. (Wolfie comes to mind.) He has not only contributed but has become a true #1 lead running back. He has over 400 yards rushing the last 3 games alone. Along with Mariani, he has become a true gamebreaker. He is beginning to make things look rather routine and easy for himself. He also has 12 tds.

These 3 are the primary reason why the GRIZ will make the playoffs again. In the past the GRIZ have been rather predictable. We as fans knew who we had that would play major roles. Everyone knew Mariani had the tools, but it was a matter of when and if they would come together.

Johnson was highly recruited, and his move to CB was very much questioned by GRIZNATION. He was a huge question mark coming into this season. I for one knew he had the talent, but I expected his growing pains to take alot longer to overcome this year.

Reynolds really has come out of no where. With time and experience, not only has he contributed, but appears to be a future All American type player.

I do not ever recall 3 players exceeding expectations to this level ever for the GRIZ, let alone all in 1 year. I am curious who has come out of nowhere or contributed much more than expected this year and in past years from other programs?

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Andrew Selle was practically flawless when he came in against SUU. Mariani hasn't really surprised me, I knew that he had the fastest 40 when he came here as a freshman and could tell that with the departure of Bagley and Allen, he'd be at the top with Ferriter. But boy has he delivered.

B&G
November 9th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Good Topic.

DB Mark Legree - Wasn't sure what to expect when losing the enitre secondary and especially Corey Lynch. But Legree has stepped in a big way and has already tied a team record for interceptions in a season with eight.

TE Ben Jorden - May be the best receiving TE that ASU has had in a while. His emergence gives Armanti a big target over the middle and the offense a new dimension.

WR Brian Quick - Was hoping he'd contribute but he busted out in a big way against Wofford and looked like the second coming of Randy Moss.

RB's Devin Radford & Robert Welton - Things looked shaky when Devon Moore went out for the season but Welton had been a hard runner whose only weakness seems to be a bit of fumble-itis. Radford was a late addition transfer from Va Tech and has been a homerun hitter of sorts that helped to replace the big plays that Dexter Jackson used to make.

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Ben Widmyer at QB manages the game better than expected. Until the App game the secondary was surprisingly decent.

catamount man
November 9th, 2008, 08:04 PM
For Western Carolina,

redshirt freshman RB Quan Warley
true freshman WR Andrerius Thomas
true freshman WR/RB Levon Curtis
JUCO LB Adrian McLeod
Senior WR Kyle Garland
redshirt freshman QB Zack Jaynes

And senior DL Jeff Bradley has played through various injuries to make it through his senior season. He WILL be missed. The future is bright in Cullowhee!!!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Tribe4SF
November 9th, 2008, 08:07 PM
For W&M it has to be true Freshman RB Jonathan Grimes. By the third game he had become a solid star. 171 all purpose yards per game, and a fine blocker.

Go...gate
November 9th, 2008, 08:26 PM
QB Greg Sullivan and RB Nate Eachus.

mvemjsunpx
November 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Andrew Selle was practically flawless when he came in against SUU.

Selle was awesome against SUU. I'm a little concerned, though, because he hasn't looked too good in his mop-up duty efforts since then.

gbhmt
November 9th, 2008, 09:14 PM
Selle was awesome against SUU. I'm a little concerned, though, because he hasn't looked too good in his mop-up duty efforts since then.

Yeah I think he's just a little out of rhythm. Seeing him last year as a freshman, I was stunned by his quick release and accuracy and awareness. I'm not the least bit worried about losing an oustanding QB after this year.

Hoyadestroya85
November 9th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Chris Whitney- because i didn't think he would play
Joe Marcoux- He's always had a leg, but he's learned to be accurate this season

slostang
November 9th, 2008, 09:20 PM
For Cal Poly it would be:

Rfr Safety Greg Francis. He has 43 tackles, 2 INTs, 5 passes defended, and a fumble recovery.

True freshman CB Asa Jackson. He has started every game at CB (his first game he started was against FBS San Diego State). He has 27 tackles, 2 INTs and 5 passes defended.

CrazyCat
November 9th, 2008, 09:28 PM
I'll nominate three true Freshman

WR DeSean Thomas
K Jason Cunningham
RB C.J. Palmer

clenz
November 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM
QB Pat Grace - JR
QB Zach Davis (back up) - FR
WR Josh Collins - FR
WR Jared Herring - FR

and the o-line being almost all new to starting

appstate38
November 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Good Topic.

DB Mark Legree - Wasn't sure what to expect when losing the enitre secondary and especially Corey Lynch. But Legree has stepped in a big way and has already tied a team record for interceptions in a season with eight.

TE Ben Jorden - May be the best receiving TE that ASU has had in a while. His emergence gives Armanti a big target over the middle and the offense a new dimension.

WR Brian Quick - Was hoping he'd contribute but he busted out in a big way against Wofford and looked like the second coming of Randy Moss.

RB's Devin Radford & Robert Welton - Things looked shaky when Devon Moore went out for the season but Welton had been a hard runner whose only weakness seems to be a bit of fumble-itis. Radford was a late addition transfer from Va Tech and has been a homerun hitter of sorts that helped to replace the big plays that Dexter Jackson used to make.

What He said ^xthumbsupx

smcwildcat
November 9th, 2008, 09:57 PM
rj toman Q and DB ryan hinds... and our D-line

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Larry Warner for SIU
Over 1000 yards rushing and a couple of kickoff returns for TDs.
Not bad for a kid who stands 5-5.

catbob
November 10th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Arnold Briggs, S (SO). With returning safety starters Retoriano and Brown, Briggs seemed more of a nickel back kind of guy. But he has come into his own and has played very well, and is currently 4th on the team in tackles and tied for second in pass breakups.

Jason Cunningham, K (TrFR). Maybe not a huge surprise, cuz it couldn't have gotten any worse than our kicking game was last year. Has a big leg (good up till about 55 or so), and has been consistent outside of one game all year. Finally!

DeSean Thomas WR (TrFR). Limited somewhat by injuries, he has emerged as our go to wideout, with 19 receptions for 304 yards and 3 scores. This in an offense plagued by inconsistent (I'm being nice here) QB play. Too bad he may have been seriously injured yesterday at NAU.

Brad Smith, DE (TrFR). Thrust into the starting role due to the loss of starter Dylan Kinkelaar, the Belgrade native has 7.5 TFL, 2.5 sacks and a FF so far this year. At 6'5 228, he has the frame to put on some weight and could be a real dominate DE to go alongside All-Conference DE Dane Fletcher (JR).

Other guys who have played well when given the chance:
DL Dan Ogden (8.5 TFL, 5 Sacks) maybe I should've talked about him instead of Smith. :)
RB CJ Palmer (6 TDs on 57 carries) short-yardage back

Disappointments:
QB Cody Kempt - seems to have the tools but makes bad throws and decisions and just can't put a complete game together
WR Corp - Outside of Thomas, this group has really underproduced, and you can't blame it all on Kempt

blackcaesar3k5
November 10th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Curtis Pulley-FAMU

93henfan
November 10th, 2008, 06:58 AM
The center, for agreeing to snap the ball to any of our quarterbacks.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 10th, 2008, 07:07 AM

xlolx

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 07:13 AM
What He said ^xthumbsupx

I agree with them as well but wanted to second the notion of how great and surprising mark legree has been... what a stud... and what a replacement for corey lynch... never thought it would be so easy to find someone to fill in so amicably

AppAlum2003
November 10th, 2008, 08:03 AM

xoutofrepx

EVSpanther
November 10th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Larry Warner for SIU

That kid is crazy tiny, but still a stud!

Jiggs
November 10th, 2008, 12:02 PM
For Samford, true freshman QB Dustin Taliaferro. Not including Samford's win over Georgia Southern, here are his numbers:

gp effic comp-att-int pct yds td lg avg/g
8 141.69 114-169-5 67.5 1259 9 74 157.4

Against GSU, he was 14 out of 17 for 166 yards and 2 touchdowns.

mainejeff
November 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
For Maine......everything.

Specifically.......Cosgrove's (and his staff) continued identification and recruitment of true athletic talent to Orono......3 freshmen RBs that could start for any CAA team.

mistersykes
November 10th, 2008, 03:03 PM
For Samford, true freshman QB Dustin Taliaferro. Not including Samford's win over Georgia Southern, here are his numbers:

I was impressed with what I've seen from Taliaferro this year. Looks like y'all got a good one.

For App, its gotta be Legree...xbowx

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM

He looked very good against GSU.

Does he really pronounce his name like they wer announcing it on the telecast?

They were pronouncing it like Tolliver, but when I look at it, I see Talley-a-ferro...

I was very confused all game...

james_lawfirm
November 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Good Topic.

I could not have said it better myself. I had written Quick off as a good athlete with bricks for hands, based solely on that dropped pass in the end zone vs. Michigan. Boy, was I wrong! I am delighted that the coaches stuck with him.

Houndawg
November 10th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Larry Warner for SIU

He'd be my pick too. Knew he'd be a thrilling return man and would be used in situations, but I'm surprised he's lasted this long as the #1 RB. No way he's 5'5".

CatFan22
November 10th, 2008, 03:52 PM
Arnold Briggs, S (SO). With returning safety starters Retoriano and Brown, Briggs seemed more of a nickel back kind of guy. But he has come into his own and has played very well, and is currently 4th on the team in tackles and tied for second in pass breakups.

I have to agree with you here. Arnold has really stepped up. He lost his starting spot in the spring to Craney and got it back in the fall and has really produced. You can really tell his pass defense has improved.

james_lawfirm
November 10th, 2008, 03:53 PM

They were pronouncing it like Tolliver, but when I look at it, I see Talley-a-ferro...

McV:
There are Taliaferros in Northern Virginia who pronounce it Tal-a-fer. I could very easily believe that you heard "tolliver".

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
McV:
There are Taliaferros in Northern Virginia who pronounce it Tal-a-fer. I could very easily believe that you heard "tolliver".

Yep, that's what I heard, was Tal-a-fer...

Still, why ignore the "o"?? Oh, well...

slycat
November 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Mishak Rivas, Freshman WR.

Fantastic addition to the team. He will be a great replacement to Texas State all conference senior WR Cameron Luke.

The guy is small but is very fast, has great hands, and is very aggressive.

Our offensive line for stepping up and protecting the QB and give our RBs room to run.

GATA
November 10th, 2008, 04:22 PM
McV:

I'm so glad somebody addressed this. I was perplexed as to why they were calling the kid "Tolliver"

Tali-a-ferro does not = "tolliver" damn these backwoods pronunciations! xmadx

THE HERD
November 10th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Nick Mertens QB, but not good surprising.......bad surprising.xbawlingx

asu3peat
November 10th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I agree with B&G's assessment, however, I'd like to add Lanston Tanyi (DE) to the list of unexpected performers. I know ASU is suspect against the run, but Tanyi has stepped in as a true freshman after injury and academics took a toll on the DL. He's performed well despite what the team stats read and I can't wait to see how he develops over the next few years.

Tackles - 8
Assists -22
TFL - 4
Sacks 3.5
QB Hurries - 6
FF - 1

GrizFamily
November 10th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Some of our "Fans" and their incredible negativity towards the program that they supposedly root for and follow. It really boggles the mind sometimes.

JohnStOnge
November 10th, 2008, 06:36 PM
If this is a duplicate I apologize because it looks like I "lost" my first attempt.

For me as a McNeese fan it's Toderick Pendland. I knew he was good and was very disappointed that both the starter at tailback and him were lost last year prior to the playoffs, but this year he's really showing what he can do.

He's third in FCS in all purpose yards at 185 per game. He's 6th in FCS rushing at 135 yards per game with a 6.84 yards per carry average. He's also the second leading McNeese receiver with 31 catches.

He's not going to get any national recognition because he wasn't on the radar prior to the season but he's one heck of a player.

phoenix3
November 10th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Brandon Newsome - running back. 785 yards rushing, 78.5 ypg 4th in the SoCon.

ViennaSpider
November 10th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Josh Vaughn, running like Hightower, and our no-name O-line.

UDBlueLotFan
November 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Robbie Schoenhoft xbawlingx

2007: #2 QB at THE Ohio Statexeyebrowx
2008: #1 QB at UD:pumpuke: xasswhipx xpissedx xspankx xflamemadx xbangx

not as of last wk, but our season is overxwhistlex

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 10th, 2008, 08:15 PM
For Maine......everything.

Specifically.......Cosgrove's (and his staff) continued identification and recruitment of true athletic talent to Orono......3 freshmen RBs that could start for any CAA team.

Simmer down now........

appstate1998
November 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
Good Topic.

I agree with Legree...he has been an amazing surprise.

However....Quick hasn't emerged like I would have hoped. Almost all of his yardage for the season came in one game. Other than his "breakout" game...he really hasn't done much.

As far as the running backs are concerned...I think Welton should have been benched long ago....not because of lack of talent..but because of his mouth....He jaws after every single play it seems and has gotten numerous unsportsmanlike penalties... I don't know why but I have a feeling he is gonna hurt us in the playoffs by running his mouth and costing us yardage.

Seawolf97
November 10th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Eddie Gowins Freshman running back. He came to Stonybrook as the 2006 Suffolk County Hanson Award Winner as the Best High School Player in the County. Good breakaway speed but not a a barn burner yet.
Stats to Date through 10 games
TD's 8
Total yards 1060
106 yards per game with 8.8 yards per carry.
Leads all FCS Freshman running backs in rushing.
4 Big South Conference Freshman of the week Awards
1 Big South Offensive Player of the week 11/10 setting the single game rushing record d for single game -278 yards on 19 carries and 3 TD's.
2nd in the Big South in rushing through 10 games.

At 5'10 and 225 pounds he is a package and one to watch as he matures.

B&G
November 10th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I agree with Legree...he has been an amazing surprise.

However....Quick hasn't emerged like I would have hoped. Almost all of his yardage for the season came in one game. Other than his "breakout" game...he really hasn't done much.

As far as the running backs are concerned...I think Welton should have been benched long ago....not because of lack of talent..but because of his mouth....He jaws after every single play it seems and has gotten numerous unsportsmanlike penalties... I don't know why but I have a feeling he is gonna hurt us in the playoffs by running his mouth and costing us yardage.

Quick came on at the end of the Furman game and was a big reason why we won that game because not a lot was working on offense. Then he obliterated Wofford. Granted he didn't catch a pass versus UTC but it wasn't necessary. I'm not sure ASU has had a deep threat like him before so I'm hoping that was the start of a trend rather than a flash in the pan.

As for Welton, I agree he needs to stop running his mouth. Someone else mentioned Tanyi. I thought of him too but I didn't mention him because it was starting to feel like I was listing the entire team.

TheValleyRaider
November 10th, 2008, 10:48 PM
QB Greg Sullivan and RB Nate Eachus.

Indeed xthumbsupx

The future is bright at their positions xnodx

I'd also add Jacob Stein at the kicking position. He lost his job to Mike Buck back in '06 after struggling with PATs and FGs. I was worried with him coming back this year after Buck graduated, but he has missed only 5 kicks all year, plus some pretty solid punts

Jiggs
November 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Yes, he pronounces it Tolliver.

fuEMO
November 11th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Furman is playing a lot of young players, and they have made an impact:

Tersoo Uhaa RB/FB True Freshman 339 yards rushing 7 TD's, 50 yards receiving 1 TD

David Hendrix SE Redshirt Freshman 445 yards receiving 1 TD

Ryan Lee OT Redshirt Freshman, seeing heavy rotation with Joel Bell.

Ryan Steed CB True Freshman, 10 Tackles, 2 INT

Players that had high expectations that are performing:

Jordan Sorrells QB Junior 180-294 passing 2127 yards 16 TD's, 9 INT's

Max Lerner ROV Sophomore 69 tackles 3 INT's

Walkon79
November 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I'll nominate three true Freshman

WR DeSean Thomas
K Jason Cunningham
RB C.J. Palmer

In total agreement here. unfortunately DeSean is now out with a serious knee injury after saving the day at Flagstaff. I hope he can be 100% by next fall, cause he's going to be something special.

phoenixphanatic21
November 11th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Brandon Newsome - running back. 785 yards rushing, 78.5 ypg 4th in the SoCon.

Amen to that xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

Also, Brandon Wiggins and Joshua Jones have played much better than I expected them to this year. 1-2 in tackles for the Phoenix, even though Wiggins had to miss a game and a half. And Terell Wilson has done pretty well this year as well. 5th on the team in tackles and leads the team in INTs.

CSUBUCDAD
November 11th, 2008, 11:57 AM
So WR Gerald Stevenson on offense. At this rate will eclipse Maurice Price as CSU all time leading receiver by the end of next season.
Jr DB Matt Bach on Defense(non scholarship player 2006-2007). Awarded the Eddie Gadson scholarship this year and has earned every penny of it.

PhoenixPhan06
November 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
RS Fr. LB Joshua Jones looks to be the next great LB at Elon this year. The kid flies all over the field and plays angry at the world. You would never guess it from meeting him, he's got to be one of the quietest kids around.

terrierbob
November 11th, 2008, 02:00 PM
Freshman back Breitenstein is as advertised-- as good as any back we have except for "Money" Romero.

Seven Would Be Nice
November 11th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Not many surprises for us this year at GSU....