PDA

View Full Version : The committee with pick SC State over Cal Poly

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:02 PM
If it comes down to a 8-3 Cal Poly team or a 9-2 SC State getting selected I am 99% convinced that SC State will get selected. What am I basing this on ? Well the MEAC has gotten 2 playoff teams in before and 9 wins is better than 8 wins. Also Cal Poly are way out there on the west coast where not many people have seen them and they play in a new conference that doesnt have a tradition of sending teams to the playoffs that only has 6 teams. I know Cal Poly is more deserving than SC State because they have played the better schedule but I have a very strong feeling that if it came down to one or the other SC State would be the one that gets selected to be in the playoffs.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 07:04 PM
If they both win out they will both have 8 DI wins, SCSU played a DII, the advantage the Bulldogs have is representation on the Playoff Selection Committee which CP does not :(

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Am I the only person who think that a 8-3 Cal Poly team has very little chance of being selected ? Im not saying that arent deserving but the people who will decide who the 16 teams are dont look at everything your supposed to be looking at.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Cal Poly may have an advantage being out west though - the committee will likely not want to show any sort of 'east coast bias'.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Cal Poly may have an advantage being out west though - the committee will likely not want to show any sort of 'east coast bias'.
That's what they thought last year ;)

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 07:10 PM
Am I the only person who think that a 8-3 Cal Poly team has very little chance of being selected ? Im not saying that arent deserving but the people who will decide who the 16 teams are dont look at everything your supposed to be looking at.

I think Poly has the edge over SC State if it comes down to them both. I would like to see both but they will have the same record of DI wins and Cal Poly has the tougher schedule.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM
I am no playoff selection committee member, but CP probably has a better resume than any other 8-3 team (IF THEY BEAT IDAHO ST), All Division I schedule, a I-A game and no mid-majors, 4-1 against the GWFC and 4-5 against 4 of the top Big Sky teams

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:11 PM

I highly doubt they care about that. They ususlly let 1 or 2 Big Sky teams in every year(besides the automatic bid) and they will say that proves there is no east coast bias. I do think that there's no way a 8-3 Patriot League team gets an at large bid. I can only go by past history.

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:14 PM
I am no playoff selection committee member, but CP probably has a better resume than any other 8-3 team (IF THEY BEAT IDAHO ST), All Division I schedule, a I-A game and no mid-majors, 4-1 against the GWFC and 4-5 against 4 of the top Big Sky teams

Based on their resume they do deserve to be in but what I am saying is that I think they will get screwed.

R.A.
November 12th, 2005, 07:15 PM
-SCSU will make it in... I'm tired of talking about it. They win (big like versus Morgan 65-15), they're in.

Mustang Man
November 12th, 2005, 07:16 PM
How many wins over ranked D1-AA teams does SC State have? Zero?

How many wins over ranked D1-AA teams does Poly have? Three.

Nuff said.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 07:17 PM
-SCSU will make it in... I'm tired of talking about it. They win (big like versus Morgan 65-15), they're in.

If you are tired of talking about it - why respond?

I'm glad you are confident but I don't think any bubble team like CCU, Cal Poly, SC State ... etc is a lock at this point. The committee has to make the decisions.

JALMOND
If it comes down to a 8-3 Cal Poly team or a 9-2 SC State getting selected I am 99% convinced that SC State will get selected. What am I basing this on ? Well the MEAC has gotten 2 playoff teams in before and 9 wins is better than 8 wins. Also Cal Poly are way out there on the west coast where not many people have seen them and they play in a new conference that doesnt have a tradition of sending teams to the playoffs that only has 6 teams. I know Cal Poly is more deserving than SC State because they have played the better schedule but I have a very strong feeling that if it came down to one or the other SC State would be the one that gets selected to be in the playoffs.

Cal Poly 2 wins over Montana State and E Washington and a strong showing against Montana on the road. The committee knows that Cal Poly "feels" slighted by not being invited last year. Your "fact" of Poly playing on the west coast where not many have seen them does not carry with me (if you are on the committee, you need to hold off any invites until everyone is done playing).

SC State played Hampton on the road and Coastal at home (both losses). All year, the Great West has been rated ahead of the MEAC in terms of strength. My opinion, SC State needs at least two more wins than Cal Poly to even be considered.

FlyBoy8
An 8-3 Cal Poly is a lock. A 9-2 SCSU is on the bubble.

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM

Nuff said.

We arent talking about who is more deserving we are taking about who will get selected and we all know the most deserving isnt always the one that gets picked.

R.A.
November 12th, 2005, 07:19 PM
If you are tired of talking about it - why respond?

-I'm ah Typical American I suppose...

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:21 PM
An 8-3 Cal Poly is a lock. A 9-2 SCSU is on the bubble.

8-3 Cal Poly is not a "lock". A 8-3 at large team in the A10, Southern, Big Sky, Gateway is a "lock.'

JALMOND
November 12th, 2005, 07:25 PM
8-3 Cal Poly is not a "lock". A 8-3 at large team in the A10, Southern, Big Sky, Gateway is a "lock.'

3-1 against the Big Sky should trump a loss to the Big South. I am assuming a Poly win over Idaho State with that, but the Big Sky has been one of the best conferences (if not the best) all year. That will help Cal Poly.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM
3-1 against the Big Sky should trump a loss to the Big South. I am assuming a Poly win over Idaho State with that, but the Big Sky has been one of the best conferences (if not the best) all year. That will help Cal Poly.
With a win over IdSU Poly will be 4-1 against the Big Sky, currently number 1 GPI conference, CP is sixth in GPI

JALMOND
November 12th, 2005, 07:31 PM
With a win over IdSU Poly will be 4-1 against the Big Sky, currently number 1 GPI conference, CP is sixth in GPI

4-1 that's right (my bad). I forgot Poly beat Sac St. Idaho State might be a tough game, but the Mustangs should be favored (Poly playing at home).

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM
I still say a 9-2 SC State gets in. Not saying they deserve it but I think they will get selected. Both their losses will be to playoff teams.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 07:32 PM
4-1 that's right (my bad). I forgot Poly beat Sac St. Idaho State might be a tough game, but the Mustangs should be favored (Poly playing at home).
I actually have a suspicion Poly may lost that one :(

JALMOND
November 12th, 2005, 07:35 PM
I still say a 9-2 SC State gets in. Not saying they deserve it but I think they will get selected. Both their losses will be to playoff teams.

If Coastal gets in. Keep in mind that Coastal is also fighting for an at-large. The Big South is not an autobid conference.

Your argument for SC State does not wash. How should they get in?

rcny46
November 12th, 2005, 07:35 PM

Nuff said.

I agree 100% with your take on this.If SCSU gets in over the Mustangs (assuming they finish 8-3),I will be shocked.Who knows,maybe they'll both make the field of 16.

Tim James
November 12th, 2005, 07:38 PM
If Coastal gets in. Keep in mind that Coastal is also fighting for an at-large. The Big South is not an autobid conference.

Your argument for SC State does not wash. How should they get in?

They get in because they have at least 8 Div 1 AA wins and their 2 losses were to playoff teams and the MEAC has gotten 2 teams in before. Coastal playing on the east coast will give them an edge over Cal Poly when getting selected. All these teams in power conferences with 3 and 4 losses will help Costal's chances of getting in.

JALMOND
November 12th, 2005, 07:44 PM
They get in because they have at least 8 Div 1 AA wins and their 2 losses were to playoff teams and the MEAC has gotten 2 teams in before. Coastal playing on the east coast will give them an edge over Cal Poly when getting selected. All these teams in power conferences with 3 and 4 losses will help Costal's chances of getting in.

A lot of assuming. We'll see how it pans out. Cal Poly still has a tough game next week with Idaho State. SC State has a game with NC A&T. A Poly loss and a SC State win would put SC State at two wins over Poly, which I would then consider SC State over Poly.

Catmendue2
November 12th, 2005, 08:24 PM
I agree 100% with your take on this.If SCSU gets in over the Mustangs (assuming they finish 8-3),I will be shocked.Who knows,maybe they'll both make the field of 16.

That would be my guess too, they both get in. 7-4 will not cut it this year as it hasn't in the past, no matter what conference you play in, if yu lose 4 you should be out. Plain and simple. :D

FlyBoy8
November 12th, 2005, 08:46 PM
I think CCU, SCSU and Cal Poly ALL get in.

aggie6thman
November 12th, 2005, 08:50 PM
I think CCU, SCSU and Cal Poly ALL get in.

If Cal Poly loses tonight, and they are down 10 in the first half, there is no way they will get into the playoffs.

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 08:53 PM
It will be interesting to see what the committee does. Will they give the non-auto bid conferences the nod over a 2nd or 3rd team from autio-bid conferences? I think this year will 'encourage' the committee to expand the playoffs in the near future.

ThreadStopper
November 12th, 2005, 10:04 PM
If Cal Poly loses tonight, and they are down 10 in the first half, there is no way they will get into the playoffs.

The Cal Poly Mustangs have put 20 straight point on the board.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 10:06 PM
The Cal Poly Mustangs have put 20 straight point on the board.
Poly leads 20-10 in the third

ThreadStopper
November 12th, 2005, 10:24 PM

Nuff said.

SC State does have wins over three teams with winning records. Does that count anything with the selection committee?

putter
November 12th, 2005, 11:39 PM
Based on the strength of the overall schedule and the fact that if Montana beats Montana St then only 1 Big Sky team will get in Cal Poly will get in. If Montana loses then Eastern Washington gets the auto and Montana get the at-large and Cal Poly SC State and CCU will be in trouble as the Griz will take one of your spots.

Mr. C
November 12th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Unless there are a lot of upsets next week that steal spots, Cal Poly will be in. South Carolina State's only shot is for a bunch of teams in playoff contention to lose next weekend. Cal Poly will get in before South Carolina State. Trust me on this. The Bulldogs are very much on the bubble with the committee. Also, the team that has gotten hosed the past three or four years has been rewarded with a playoff spot the following year. Coastal Carolina isn't a lock yet, either.

arranger101
November 13th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Nuff said.

Alabama State and Bethune-Cookman were both ranked when we beat them, so to answer your question...two. But it is time to let the committee decide after next week because there is nothing anyone on this website can do about it.

rokamortis
November 13th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Bethune-Cookman has not been ranked this season.

arranger101
November 13th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Bethune-Cookman has not been ranked this season.

They were ranked for 1 week(#25), and then dropped out again.

GoGSU
November 13th, 2005, 08:09 AM
SC State gets in and goes to GSU for the 1st round then will be finished for the year!!! :p

rokamortis
November 13th, 2005, 08:11 AM
They were ranked for 1 week(#25), and then dropped out again.

Which poll? BC has not been ranked this year in the ESPN or SportsNetwork polls.

R.A.
November 13th, 2005, 08:37 AM
SC State gets in and goes to GSU for the 1st round then will be finished for the year!!! :p

-Sound about right. (Go State!)

GoGSU
November 13th, 2005, 08:46 AM
actually...I am thinking we will see YSU 1st round....that would be a much tougher 1st round game for sure.

Tribe4SF
November 13th, 2005, 09:08 AM
If Cal Poly finishes 8-3, they are a lock with their high GPI. If Richmond loses to W&M, SCSU has a shot. In that scenario, I think Coastal would go to a seeded Hampton and SCSU would play at Appy, Furman or GSU.