PDA

View Full Version : DSU loses AGAIN....because of Winton...AGAIN

DSUrocks07
November 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20081109/SPORTS08/811090367/1029

Winton's gamble spells loss for Hornets
By KRISTIAN POPE • The News Journal • November 9, 2008

DOVER -- His coach called the simple play. But Delaware State senior quarterback Vashon Winton had other ideas.

The result? The Hornets were stunned by Winston Salem State, 27-26, on Saturday in Winton's home-field swan song at Alumni Stadium before a mere 891 spectators on senior day. xeekx

Senior running back Kareem Jones rushed for a career-high 230 yards on 35 carries xnonono2x and almost single-handedly provided the offensive punch the Hornets needed desperately.

Instead, Delaware State, trying to avoid its third straight loss, came away empty-handed in a nonconference game the players believed they should have won.

"It came down to making a play, as it always should," Hornets coach Al Lavan said.

The loss wasted a 399-yard effort by the offense.

Trailing 27-26 with less than 1:00 to play and facing fourth-and-one at the Rams' 20-yard line, Lavan called for a "freeze" play to try to draw the defense into a penalty. Rather than try a hard count at the line of scrimmage, Winton took a quick snap from center Nick Richmond and tried to sneak a first down. However, he was stopped cold at the line where the Rams took over with 33 seconds remaining.

(...)

xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx

Same story with Winton. xcoffeex

Lavan has just given away our entire season just because he was afraid of making a change at the QB position. Glaud should have been the starter since training camp or at least since the game against FAMU where Winton showed his true colors and put himself above the team.

Maybe it was because of all the MEAC POTY hype going into the season...
Maybe it was because Lavan's coaching staff was trying to build Winton's draft stock...
Maybe it was for some other reason...

But in any case. We're at 3-6 and losing the fans that we just gained. (891 people at a game is a ******** joke xflamemadx )
Even last year he has done us more harm than good.
If Winton starts next week, I will have lost all respect for Lavan as a head coach and I'm sure that entire locker room will as well.

At least with Delaware, Keeler's hand was forced when Schoenhoft went down with an injury. If only we at DSU could have only been so lucky. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

DSUrocks07
November 9th, 2008, 03:34 PM
On a side note...

I realize that weather was a factor...but 891 fans on Senior Day is deplorable xnonono2x

DSU need help, BADLY, in marketing their athletic programs to the Central and Southern Delaware areas. Let UD have northern Delaware. xthumbsupx

Big Dawg
November 9th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Only 891 people showed up???

WOW

WileECoyote06
November 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM
891 people. . .that's a damn shame.

GOODY26
November 12th, 2008, 09:01 AM
xoopsx 800 some fans.xthumbsdownx

813Jag
November 12th, 2008, 09:56 AM
891 people? I guess I'll stop fussing about the 10K that came to the UAPB/Southern game.

andy7171
November 12th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Del State continues to show Towson that their attendence could be worse.
That's sad.

zymergy
November 12th, 2008, 10:22 AM
You won't see that stadium filled until the State HS Championship weekend. Local High Schools draws more fans for their football games. xnodx

JagHammer
November 12th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Wow, Bell outdrew DSU in his last game as HC of JSU...geesh...xnonono2x

DSUrocks07
November 12th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Only 891 people showed up???

WOW

891 people. . .that's a damn shame.

xoopsx 800 some fans.xthumbsdownx

891 people? I guess I'll stop fussing about the 10K that came to the UAPB/Southern game.

Del State continues to show Towson that their attendence could be worse.
That's sad.

You won't see that stadium filled until the State HS Championship weekend. Local High Schools draws more fans for their football games. xnodx

Wow, Bell outdrew DSU in his last game as HC of JSU...geesh...xnonono2x

This falls squarely on the DSU Athletic Department, or more directly their Marketing capabilities. In a town of 30,000 people, a student body of almost 4,000 students, and can claim almost the entire southern half of the Delmarva peninsula in their sphere of influence, having only 891 fans is a disgrace, its downright shameful, its disrespectful to the school and to all of Delaware football. I don't care if they were playing the local flag football team. In my eyes a rule of thumb is that you NEVER NEVER NEVER have less than 25% attendance for any home game, because that just shows a lack of interest in the program and thats the first step down the road of "axing the football program". I wouldn't be surprised to find out that DSU actually LOST money on playing this game at home. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

They should fire everybody in that department and just outsource their Marketing Department to me and I could sell out the place every home game. Guaranteed. xwhistlex

813Jag
November 12th, 2008, 01:21 PM
This falls squarely on the DSU Athletic Department, or more directly their Marketing capabilities. In a town of 30,000 people, a student body of almost 4,000 students, and can claim almost the entire southern half of the Delmarva peninsula in their sphere of influence, having only 891 fans is a disgrace, its downright shameful, its disrespectful to the school and to all of Delaware football. I don't care if they were playing the local flag football team. In my eyes a rule of thumb is that you NEVER NEVER NEVER have less than 25% attendance for any home game, because that just shows a lack of interest in the program and thats the first step down the road of "axing the football program". I wouldn't be surprised to find out that DSU actually LOST money on playing this game at home. xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

They should fire everybody in that department and just outsource their Marketing Department to me and I could sell out the place every home game. Guaranteed. xwhistlex
What's the capacity of your stadium? How was attendance last year?

DSUrocks07
November 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
What's the capacity of your stadium? How was attendance last year?

Our capacity is 7,193. And last year (our MEAC championship season) we averaged a little over 4,100 for the year. xsmhx DSU's fan base is in a sorry state.