PDA

View Full Version : ASU vs. ELON

jus10asu
November 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Alright guys...I think its about time to start this one up. How do you think this one will pan out. App has obviously hit its stride and is looking extremely strong. Plus its gonna be at Kidd Brewer. Elon is a tough team and have progressively gotten better over the past few years. Lets hear everyones observations of this game. We may even get lucky and get some snow on Saturday!!!!

appstate38
November 9th, 2008, 12:55 PM
I will go first.... Riddle and that pass offense are tough. They proved it last year at their place. The run game will have to show up and be more than a token effort. They can't have an outing like the one against the Woofs. They had better take care of the football because the App offense is hitting a stride where it seems like they can score from any place on the field. I believe this will be an offensive battle. I will be a homer and pick the Apps because I believe we have more offensive weapons. With the TE Jorden becoming a major player in our offensive it will be tough for Elon to stop us.

Apps 42
Elon 31

P.S. ELon can't come in and try to win by thinking they will just outscore the Apps. If they want a track meet I think it will not be a good day for them.

appstate1998
November 9th, 2008, 12:56 PM
I'm anxious to see if Elon defers if they win the toss....still can't figure out why teams do this. Give AE the ball to start? Our defense usually is suspect in the first half and then buckles down...so why wouldn't you want the ball first?

phoenixphanatic21
November 9th, 2008, 12:58 PM
I have been waiting for this game since the loss last year. It'll be my first trip to see a game at Kidd Brewer and I'm excited to see how it compares to some other stadiums I've been too. I think we stand a semi-decent chance for a big upset here. Our defense has been playing pretty well for the most part, though if we can get our safety Walker White back, that would be a HUGE help in our attempt to slow down Armanti. Our newly found run game has really changed things for us. Brandon Newsome is a beast, AJ Harris is a great fill-in and Jamal Shuman is a sick change of pack back and just a freshman. Oh yea, and then there's Dontay Taylor, our forgotten RB. I think one of the big keys to the game will be Elon's run game vs. App's run D. The longer we can keep Armanti and the O off the field, the better our chance to win.

All that being said, I hate to say it but I do think App will beat us and win the SoCon. I just hope we show up and play a good game and not have a let down like we did against Wofford. Here's to a great game guys and look forward to seeing yall in Boone on Saturday.

LehighFan11
November 9th, 2008, 01:00 PM
I'm anxious to see if Elon defers if they win the toss....still can't figure out why teams do this. Give AE the ball to start? Our defense usually is suspect in the first half and then buckles down...so why wouldn't you want the ball first?

Rule #1 about winning the coin toss: Defer

Games are won and lost in the last 5 of the 1st half and first 5 of the 2nd half.

Edge316007
November 9th, 2008, 01:01 PM
I'd always play offense on the road first to make a statement and defense at home because it fires up the crowd more.

Everyone thought that this game would decide the SoCon early on. It doesn't look as though that will be the case but App still better show up or else they could be in for a long day.

mountaineer_dax
November 9th, 2008, 01:06 PM
They are calling for scattered snow showers. Given that information and the game being at the Rock. Elon's chances go down tremendously. App also has a new ball hawk in legree who now has 8 INT's this season. So Elon should definitely not expect to come into kidd brewer and dominate.

ASU 45 Elon 14

mountaineer_dax
November 9th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I have been waiting for this game since the loss last year. It'll be my first trip to see a game at Kidd Brewer and I'm excited to see how it compares to some other stadiums I've been too. I think we stand a semi-decent chance for a big upset here. Our defense has been playing pretty well for the most part, though if we can get our safety Walker White back, that would be a HUGE help in our attempt to slow down Armanti. Our newly found run game has really changed things for us. Brandon Newsome is a beast, AJ Harris is a great fill-in and Jamal Shuman is a sick change of pack back and just a freshman. Oh yea, and then there's Dontay Taylor, our forgotten RB. I think one of the big keys to the game will be Elon's run game vs. App's run D. The longer we can keep Armanti and the O off the field, the better our chance to win.

All that being said, I hate to say it but I do think App will beat us and win the SoCon. I just hope we show up and play a good game and not have a let down like we did against Wofford. Here's to a great game guys and look forward to seeing yall in Boone on Saturday.

You better dress warm haha

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
They are calling for scattered snow showers. Given that information and the game being at the Rock. Elon's chances go down tremendously. App also has a new ball hawk in legree who now has 8 INT's this season. So Elon should definitely not expect to come into kidd brewer and dominate.

ASU 45 Elon 14

If you blow out Elon like that I will spray-paint a giant App. State logo on the front of the press box in Paulson Stadium. SoCon teams usually play with grudges and Elon is no exception (see Elon versus Furman, Elon put more points on them than anyone including Virginia Tech).

I can't wait to hear what the SoCon bashers are going to say when the game goes down to the wire.

"But...but...Jerry Moore LET them keep it close to help out another team in the conference!"

appstate1998
November 9th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Rule #1 about winning the coin toss: Defer

Games are won and lost in the last 5 of the 1st half and first 5 of the 2nd half.

although I agree with you in theory....looking back at our recent games....we give up a lot in the first half and not much in the second...that's why I'm wondering why a team would want the ball to start in the second when our defense plays better in the second

beauvighn
November 9th, 2008, 01:34 PM
It's all according to which App team shows up. Will it be the team that showed up against Wofford and played with a chip on their shoulder, the one that was out to prove a point on nat'l tv and avenge last years spanking? Or will it be the team that has shown up most of the year where they do just what they have to do to win, get a lead and start day dreaming and then let AE swop in and save the day.

I hope Elon does what we were unable to do and that is beat Appy, but common sense tells me that App will win by 17 pts.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
It's all according to which App team shows up. Will it be the team that showed up against Wofford and played with a chip on their shoulder, the one that was out to prove a point on nat'l tv and avenge last years spanking? Or will it be the team that has shown up most of the year where they do just what they have to do to win, get a lead and start day dreaming and then let AE swop in and save the day.

I hope Elon does what we were unable to do and that is beat Appy, but common sense tells me that App will win by 17 pts.

Umm did you say Appy? So that makes it OK to say Eloan. Elonny. Leon. Orlon. BeamerLon.

As to the team that showed up vs Wofford, according to several players, it was the first game App had virtually everybody back.

Mntneer
November 9th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Personally, I'd love to see us steamroll Elon by 21+ points. While I'll take anything that's a W, I feel like we need to show that we're capable of maintaining something close to the intensity that we showed vs Wofford. UTC yesterday doesn't count. AE could practically win that game by himself. Realistically, I'll go with ASU 28, Elon 17.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 01:45 PM

It can be wind conditions. It can be from expecting a close game and want the extra possession of the second half. It is also to put the opponent on the spot off the bat in a hostile stadium. Also allows the defensive personnel a chance at seeing the opponent's O early on so they can prepare better for the second half.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Personally, I'd love to see us steamroll Elon by 21+ points. While I'll take anything that's a W, I feel like we need to show that we're capable of maintaining something close to the intensity that we showed vs Wofford. UTC yesterday doesn't count. AE could practically win that game by himself. Realistically, I'll go with ASU 28, Elon 17.

If we can get to Riddle consistently, we'll be fine, but if we sack him on 2nd downs and then he smokes us with a long bomb occasionally , we're toast.

beauvighn
November 9th, 2008, 01:52 PM
If he smokes you on 3rd down it's your own fault. Just put a little pressure on him like Wofford and he panics and throws it wildly.

jus10asu
November 9th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I dont believe that this new found running game that Elon is supposed to have is gonna be a problem for our boys. They were slow out of the gates on Wofford but they find out how to stop a team pretty well. This game couldbe close but I have a feeling it wont be. Maybe I'll be proved wrong. Like I said before...App is hitting their stride right now and when they play a whole game they are crazy. Plus our special teams are looking tons better. I'm gonna go with App 41 Elon 17

SideLine Shooter
November 9th, 2008, 02:24 PM

So you want to compare stadiums. You are in for a treat. The "Rock" is the place. The ESPN crew says they have seen nothing to compare in FCS and not many in BCS. The atmosphere is great! If a little snow falls it will be better. A few fans may leave early to wax their boards. It will be crazy. Dress warm and be prepared to sit on your hands, unless you wear Black & Gold.xthumbsupx

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2008, 02:56 PM
App won't win by 46 they will win like 17. Elon can match up better.

appstate38
November 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I don't see the Apps taking Elon lightly. They will have the Apps FULL attention on Saturday. Special teams are much improved. Defense is forcing turnovers and the offense is doing nothing but getting even better. They will be focused on the task at hand when the Phoenix come to Boone.

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2008, 04:17 PM
normally I'd say App by 3-10 points but because it's @ the Rock I 'll say 17

Appinator
November 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
In post game interviews, DJ Smith sounded like he couldn't wait to get back on the gridiron against Elon. He made it sound like Elon has the full and complete attention of 3-peat nation. I really don't think there will be any overlooking done here.

AppSt.09
November 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I'm saying Legree might have a field day against the pass heavy Elon offense xnodx

AppGrad06
November 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
I'm saying Legree might have a field day against the pass heavy Elon offense xnodx

that'd be nice! Hey only 8 INTs and hold the single season NCAA record. ok so that won't happen, but one more and he holds the ASU record outright.

Black Saturday
November 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Umm did you say Appy? So that makes it OK to say Eloan. Elonny. Leon. Orlon. BeamerLon.

As to the team that showed up vs Wofford, according to several players, it was the first game App had virtually everybody back.

We were missing just 5 original starters for Wofford.

#1 rb Devon Moore, #2 rb Robert Welton, de Tony Robertson, db Leonard Love, and db Antonio McDuffie. Pretty good considering those 5 out.

jus10asu
November 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Anybody know what Armanti's total yardage is up to for the season at this point?

walliver
November 9th, 2008, 05:41 PM
Although an Elon win would probably help my team (a potential three-way tie), I suspect the mountain men will break open a close game in the second half and win by 21. Riddle and Company have had a good two year run, but they have yet to win a "big game", and I don't think the rock is the place they will start.

MorgantonAPPAlum
November 9th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Anybody know what Armanti's total yardage is up to for the season at this point?

1999 passing and 786 rushing per ESPN. (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=190009)

PhoenixSupreme
November 9th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I came back to Elon for Homecoming this past Saturday, and I wasn't overly impressed with the win over WCU. I don't know...I just felt like there was a few golden opportunities lost and too many penalties given up. Also, the D let WCU's QB scramble way too much (esp. out of sacks), meaning Edwards could have a field day on the ground. I hate to say it but while this game would be a statement game for both teams (SoCon championship/tie implications), I feel that App will take the statement game more seriously than Elon. Whomever wrote about Elon not winning the big games has been right so far in my opinion. I hate to say it, but I feel that App has great chemistry right now, and I see a 20 pt. win for them. Hopefully, I'll be proved wrong...hopefully

SeattleGriz
November 9th, 2008, 06:23 PM

I think a lot of that can be attributed to your offense. They score at such a torrid pace, the other team's offense is forced to become predictable, just to try and keep it close. That really helps the D.

MaxASU'81
November 9th, 2008, 06:24 PM
"Everyone thought that this game would decide the SoCon early on. It doesn't look as though that will be the case..."

This game WILL decide the SoCon...Elon has only one conference loss!

MaxASU'81
November 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
"Everyone thought that this game would decide the SoCon early on. It doesn't look as though that will be the case..."

xpeacex

appstate1998
November 9th, 2008, 07:43 PM

yup..ELon can still get the auto bid

Reign of Terrier
November 9th, 2008, 07:47 PM
yup..ELon can still get the auto bid

a hilarious idea (though unlikely) Wofford blows out Elon who blows out App who blows out Wofford.

Or Elon wins by 11 meaning Wofford should have beaten App by 46 but instead loses by 46. Crazy ideas, crazy world, thank goodness for playoffs.

ericsaid
November 9th, 2008, 08:49 PM
App-52
Elon-24

appstate38
November 9th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I will go first.... Riddle and that pass offense are tough. They proved it last year at their place. The run game will have to show up and be more than a token effort. They can't have an outing like the one against the Woofs. They had better take care of the football because the App offense is hitting a stride where it seems like they can score from any place on the field. I believe this will be an offensive battle. I will be a homer and pick the Apps because I believe we have more offensive weapons. With the TE Jorden becoming a major player in our offensive it will be tough for Elon to stop us.

Apps 42
Elon 31

P.S. ELon can't come in and try to win by thinking they will just outscore the Apps. If they want a track meet I think it will not be a good day for them.

I think a lot of that can be attributed to your offense. They score at such a torrid pace, the other team's offense is forced to become predictable, just to try and keep it close. That really helps the D.

I am glad to see that great minds think alike, as long as you realize I said it first.:D

beauvighn
November 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM

I don't think it will happen but if Elon does upset App. and Wofford wins out, who gets the auto bid. All three teams would have 1 socon loss and would have beaten each other.

elon77
November 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Elon put great pressure on the Western QB all day, and would get their hands all over him and he would get away and run for some good yardage. I can only imagine what Edwards will do if they let that happen.

Appinator
November 9th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think it will happen but if Elon does upset App. and Wofford wins out, who gets the auto bid. All three teams would have 1 socon loss and would have beaten each other.

Elon would get the auto-bid. They are the team that hasn't won the conference in the longest time (i.e. never). Wofford won the auto bid as co-champs last year and ASU was at large.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 10:08 PM
If he smokes you on 3rd down it's your own fault. Just put a little pressure on him like Wofford and he panics and throws it wildly.

Obviously you haven't seen much of our '08 DL. It will be a great one in a year or two, but now it is decimated by inexperience, attrition and injuries.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Elon put great pressure on the Western QB all day, and would get their hands all over him and he would get away and run for some good yardage. I can only imagine what Edwards will do if they let that happen.

If we don't get to Riddle consitently, it's a long day for us.

AppSt.09
November 9th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Feel we should try and keep Legree as close to Terrell Hudgins as possible seeing as that is definitely Riddel's receiver of choice. We just need to keep both of them under control as I feel we can definitely contain Elon's run.

gophoenix
November 9th, 2008, 10:33 PM
We haven't played a solid game all year outside of Furman. I am not saying I don't expect us to do it Saturday, but I just don't see it happening. I think it will be close mainly because we won't go in with the chip on our shoulder that Wofford marched up there with. If we go down by 2 TDs early, it'll be a blowout because I don't see our boys recovering mentally. If it stays close early, I see it pretty much staying close like last year and having a mistake or two by one team deciding the game. Who will win, I say App. But, I don't expect any sort of big time blowout by anyone. Unless it is raining, I don't see weather playing a big roll. It is only normally a couple of degrees colder in Boone than in Elon normally. They've been practicing in colder weather and cold rain already.

Elon Fightin' Christians
November 9th, 2008, 11:17 PM
I think "The Christians" will have to play a near perfect game to win in Boone. This means no bad penalties, no turnovers, and don't let up the big play, make APP have long drives to score.

If we play like we did agaisnt Furman we can win. If we play like we did the last two weeks we'll lose badly.

Let's hope its a great game for us all to watch.....

GO ELON !!!!

AppSt.09
November 10th, 2008, 05:41 AM
Weayjer is looking like highs nera the fifty degree mark, but those highs are supposed to happen early in the day. The game is looking like it will be a cold one with chances of snow showers.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 10th, 2008, 06:32 AM
App by 20+

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'm not going to make a prediction, but I will say last year is not a good measure as we played at Elon with Trey. Armanti has only faced Elon once, two years ago. I think Elon will be working hard to prepare for Armanti, but if he plays like he did against Wofford, Elon could be in for a long day. Our bend, but not break defense will be needed in the passing game, but hopefully a few take away's and we'll be in good shape.

GO APPS!

AppSt.09
November 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Expect a chilly game. The weather report says that the high will be around fifty degrees, but those highs will be achieved in the early morning and chances of snow showers.

ElonPride
November 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM
One simple phrase:

We're gonna smote that ruin upon the mountain side! xsmiley_wix

ElonPride
November 10th, 2008, 07:42 AM
Although an Elon win would probably help my team (a potential three-way tie), I suspect the mountain men will break open a close game in the second half and win by 21. Riddle and Company have had a good two year run, but they have yet to win a "big game", and I don't think the rock is the place they will start.

So the win at Wofford last year shouldn't be considered a "big win" in this 2 year run you mention?

ElonPride
November 10th, 2008, 07:44 AM
I came back to Elon for Homecoming this past Saturday, and I wasn't overly impressed with the win over WCU. I don't know...I just felt like there was a few golden opportunities lost and too many penalties given up. Also, the D let WCU's QB scramble way too much (esp. out of sacks), meaning Edwards could have a field day on the ground. I hate to say it but while this game would be a statement game for both teams (SoCon championship/tie implications), I feel that App will take the statement game more seriously than Elon. Whomever wrote about Elon not winning the big games has been right so far in my opinion. I hate to say it, but I feel that App has great chemistry right now, and I see a 20 pt. win for them. Hopefully, I'll be proved wrong...hopefully

I also think ASU wins by 20+. This Elon team seems to shoot themselves in the foot......Riddle just doesn't seem to be making good decisions.

On a side note, Elon did hold WCU to only ONE offensive score!

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 08:05 AM
I think if ASU plays like it did the last 2 weeks and selected halves before then this game wont be close but if we play like we did against gsu/ 2nd half of jmu/ 1st half of lsu it will be a tight game...

mountain_man
November 10th, 2008, 08:11 AM
I also think ASU wins by 20+. This Elon team seems to shoot themselves in the foot......Riddle just doesn't seem to be making good decisions.

On a side note, Elon did hold WCU to only ONE offensive score!

Our local high school team could hold WheeCC to one offensive score...

SoCon48
November 10th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Our local high school team could hold WheeCC to one offensive score...

Let's not count on it. I expect a good win by App, but anything can happen. It's their Rose Bowl game just as it would be for us if we were in the same predicatment.

phoenixsq
November 10th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have been to see two Elon games at the "Rock" and both times we were never in it. We just do not play very well there. I would love to "drink the Kool Aid" but I just can't. Edwards is the man and we could not even stop Wofford's run game. How in the world will we stop Edwards? I see a 48-28 game and a At-Large bid with a win over Liberty. But it is great to even be playing for a title after 6 hard years in the SoCon!!!!

asucrutch23
November 10th, 2008, 08:31 AM
I'm not going to make a prediction, but I will say last year is not a good measure as we played at Elon with Trey. Armanti has only faced Elon once, two years ago. I think Elon will be working hard to prepare for Armanti, but if he plays like he did against Wofford, Elon could be in for a long day. Our bend, but not break defense will be needed in the passing game, but hopefully a few take away's and we'll be in good shape.

GO APPS!

IIRC, he only played the first half of that one because it wasn't even close. ;)
I like the Apps to win this game.We have been dominant this year at the Rock except for the Furman game. I also really like the way our defense is improving. With the pass happy Christians coming into town, I expect at least 2 INTs. I'll say one for LeGree and one for Cortez.xthumbsupx

Woof
November 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Elon would get the auto-bid. They are the team that hasn't won the conference in the longest time (i.e. never). Wofford won the auto bid as co-champs last year and ASU was at large.

Huh ? xoopsx I thought we got the auto-bid last year because we beat Appy head to head ?xrolleyesx ....giving it to the team that has not won it in the longest time is like taxing success and rewarding failure.... but I guess when you think about it, that is what the American public just endorsed in last week's election... so maybe it is not as far fetched as it would seem.xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

BeauFoster
November 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Huh ? xoopsx I thought we got the auto-bid last year because we beat Appy head to head ?xrolleyesx ....giving it to the team that has not won it in the longest time is like taxing success and rewarding failure.... but I guess when you think about it, that is what the American public just endorsed in last week's election... so maybe it is not as far fetched as it would seem.xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

He is, unfortunately, correct. The process for breaking a tie in the SoCon has to do with the team experiencing the longest drought. How's that for smart thinking?

appmaj
November 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM
He is, unfortunately, correct. The process for breaking a tie in the SoCon has to do with the team experiencing the longest drought. How's that for smart thinking?

Are you serious??? How then do you break a three way tie?

DLS
November 10th, 2008, 09:25 AM
....giving it to the team that has not won it in the longest time is like taxing success and rewarding failure.... but I guess when you think about it, that is what the American public just endorsed in last week's election... so maybe it is not as far fetched as it would seem.xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

RACIST.

BeauFoster
November 10th, 2008, 09:27 AM
That's the way I've always heard it put. In all reality, there isn't much you can do with a three way tie in college football. Unless there is a head-to-head record that makes one team the clear victor, you would have to go to points for and against, common foes (outside of the conference), time of possession, number of coin flips won...

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
That's the way I've always heard it put. In all reality, there isn't much you can do with a three way tie in college football. Unless there is a head-to-head record that makes one team the clear victor, you would have to go to points for and against, common foes (outside of the conference), time of possession, number of coin flips won...

I thought they flipped a coin in the SoCon...or is paper-rock-scissors? ;)

CAAisBOSS
November 10th, 2008, 09:28 AM
BLOWOUT WINN FOR APPS

Woof
November 10th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Let's all agree that the the tie-breaker should be either the school's average SAT scores or the number of Rhodes scholars xnodx xnodx xnodx

phoenix3
November 10th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Number of teeth per enrollee? JK!

appmaj
November 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Let's all agree that the the tie-breaker should be either the school's average SAT scores or the number of Rhodes scholars xnodx xnodx xnodx

On the football team? xrolleyesx

gophoenix
November 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM
There are any number of ways to stop Edwards, but you have to contain him without opening up gaping holes in other parts of the game. Even without the Wofford debacle, we have the second best defense in the SoCon statistically for conference games. Does that mean anything going into Saturday? Of course not. But I see what App did to UTC, GSU, Furman, Samford and Presbyterian and it shows me that App played different, but overall really no better than we did against the same teams.

The cards are certainly stacked against Elon, I am not doubting that. But, it is attainable. Anything outside of good defense means we're going to lose. We aren't going to win in a track meet against App, that was proven last year against them.

I hope for a good game. Otherwise, I am going to be really cranky at 2AM when I am watching this game.

AppAlum2003
November 10th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Or would you rather it be determined by number of rich, spoiled brats?

:D

appstate1998
November 10th, 2008, 10:27 AM

Wofford ends the season with an 8-3 overall record and a 5-2 record in the Southern Conference. Appalachian State is currently at 4-2 in the conference, and can share the title with a win over Chattanooga next weekend. If Wofford and Appalachian State are both tied for the conference title at 5-2, the Terriers will gain the automatic bid based on the 42-31 win over the Mountaineers on September 22.

This marks the second time in the last five seasons that Wofford College has won the Southern Conference Championship. The Terriers won the 2003 title with a 8-0 conference record

elon77
November 10th, 2008, 10:34 AM
ASU will be thinking about their big game in two weeks against WCU and overlook the small private school from the east, Elon will sneak into Boone and bring home a victory and some good mountain shine. Shucks, the phone just rang and woke me up from a wonderful dream. Hey, 4 or 5 years ago it couldn't have been a dream. GO ELON!xnodx

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2008, 10:37 AM
ASU will be thinking about their big game in two weeks against WCU and overlook the small private school from the east, Elon will sneak into Boone and bring home a victory and some good mountain shine. Shucks, the phone just rang and woke me up from a wonderful dream. Hey, 4 or 5 years ago it couldn't have been a dream. GO ELON!xnodx

Well, you can still leave with some good mountain shine. xnodx

Grabholdofyosef
November 10th, 2008, 10:47 AM
There are any number of ways to stop Edwards, but you have to contain him without opening up gaping holes in other parts of the game. Even without the Wofford debacle, we have the second best defense in the SoCon statistically for conference games. Does that mean anything going into Saturday? Of course not. But I see what App did to UTC, GSU, Furman, Samford and Presbyterian and it shows me that App played different, but overall really no better than we did against the same teams.

The cards are certainly stacked against Elon, I am not doubting that. But, it is attainable. Anything outside of good defense means we're going to lose. We aren't going to win in a track meet against App, that was proven last year against them.

I hope for a good game. Otherwise, I am going to be really cranky at 2AM when I am watching this game.
Please expand on this thought. Besides LSU, I am not aware of any team that has stopped a healthy armanti for an entire game.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 10th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Scotty McGee. xbowx Game breaker. xthumbsupx I defer every chance I could get. xnodx

xsmiley_wix

Especially at home, when your crowd is pumped, get your defense pumped up and get a quick 3 and out. Then you have essentially earned an extra possession for the game. On the road, I defer because the opposing team's crowd will be pumped, rather get the ball to start the second half.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 10th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Oh, in 2004, everytime JMU won the coin toss (at least in the playoffs, maybe going back as well), they deferred.

elon77
November 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
[QUOTE=ASUMountaineer;1200558]Well, you can still leave with some good mountain shine. xnodx[/QUOTE

" I HAVE BEEN TO THE MOUNTAIN TOP " oh yes.xbowx :D

elcid96
November 10th, 2008, 11:25 AM
After what you guys did to Wofford on ESPN, I don't think anyone can stop App right now. If Armanti and the team keep playing the way they are right now, I would expect a blowout against Elon and a win in Chatt later in the year.

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2008, 11:37 AM
[QUOTE=ASUMountaineer;1200558]Well, you can still leave with some good mountain shine. xnodx[/QUOTE

" I HAVE BEEN TO THE MOUNTAIN TOP " oh yes.xbowx :D

Oh yeah, got to love it. Some shine and pickin and life is good. xnodx

HiHiYikas
November 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
It's easy, really...

Wofford - 35 points better than Elon; ASU - 46 points better than Wofford; it follows that ASU - 81 points better than Elon.

It's science.

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/mmorri32/anchorman.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGeHL2YWbPJWcp2CKh9AXoEGtmCXg

In other news, ASU - 8 points better than Florida...and women have brains 1/3 the size of men.

But seriously...

ASU's looking pretty good these days. They're not unbeatable, but they must be close to it at home. Elon could definitely pull off a win if they get their offense firing on all cylinders.

Edwards and Hudgins on the same field (though not at the same time, obviously) should easily be worth the price of admission.

mcveyrl
November 10th, 2008, 12:00 PM
It's easy, really...

Wofford - 35 points better than Elon; ASU - 46 points better than Wofford; it follows that ASU - 81 points better than Elon.

It's science.

http://images.google.com/url?q=http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/mmorri32/anchorman.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGeHL2YWbPJWcp2CKh9AXoEGtmCXg

In other news, ASU - 8 points better than Florida...and women have brains 1/3 the size of men.

But seriously...

ASU's looking pretty good these days. They're not unbeatable, but they must be close to it at home. Elon could definitely pull off a win if they get their offense firing on all cylinders.

Edwards and Hudgins on the same field (though not at the same time, obviously) should easily be worth the price of admission.

Anytime you call on Ron Burgundy = xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

RE: The coin toss, I ALWAYS defer because I think it's easier to keep your team in the game if you know you've got a possession coming up.

gophoenix
November 10th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Please expand on this thought. Besides LSU, I am not aware of any team that has stopped a healthy armanti for an entire game.

You don't have to stop him for an entire game, just enough to score 1 more point than App.

mountaineer_dax
November 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
You don't have to stop him for an entire game, just enough to score 1 more point than App.

you also have to remember elon hasn't faced Armanti in two years. he's gained a lot more experience since then and his vision on the field has developed tremendously. So has his accuracy in the passing game with the added deep threat of CoCo and Quick.

appfan2008
November 10th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I always believe in defering the coin toss so that you can get the ball in the second half when the game may be on the line...

gophoenix
November 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
you also have to remember elon hasn't faced Armanti in two years. he's gained a lot more experience since then and his vision on the field has developed tremendously. So has his accuracy in the passing game with the added deep threat of CoCo and Quick.

You're right. Elon shouldn't even suit up. Just forfeit it now.

I love how so many of the bandwagoners have popped back out of the woodwork once the train started picking up speed again.

HiHiYikas
November 10th, 2008, 12:55 PM

I love how so many of the bandwagoners have popped back out of the woodwork once the train started picking up speed again.
If I were making a prediction, it would just get about 7 points tighter by virtue of the fact it took 9 pages for a fan to drag out the "well, we shouldn't even show up" routine.

Well played, Elon. That argument usually comes out within the first 4 or 5 pages.

mountaineer_dax
November 10th, 2008, 01:06 PM

how does someone who currently attends the university a bandwagon fan? please explain that one to me. i'm not quite following here.

asucrutch23
November 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
how does someone who currently attends the university a bandwagon fan? please explain that one to me. i'm not quite following here.

I've always wondered the same thing. I think the term "fairweather" fan would be more accurate in his post.

gophoenix
November 10th, 2008, 02:08 PM
If I were making a prediction, it would just get about 7 points tighter by virtue of the fact it took 9 pages for a fan to drag out the "well, we shouldn't even show up" routine.

Well played, Elon. That argument usually comes out within the first 4 or 5 pages.

I aim to please :D

MasonJar
November 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
First post here (be gentle)....xpeacex

Been lurking for several years as a guest...
The mention of Moonshine in earlier posts got me motivated to post today.

In everyday football, I agree, defer the kickoff. However, when playing a quick strike team like the Mountaineers, I suggest you take the ball first. That is just more time (hopefully) that Armanti and co are off the field. If you can get up a score and hold serve, you have a chance. Only exception may be if you are quick strike yourself or have a stud defense.

If you are App, no doubt take the ball. You get ahead and you put all sorts of pressure on folks.

As for the tiebreaker for conference champion, a coworker and I were discussing the 3-way possibility last week. Here is a snippet from a post/news item on SoConsports.com that addresses the 3-way. I could not find the actual tiebreaker rule on the SoCon web site:

"If all three teams went 1-1 against each other, the next tiebreaker criteria is how each team fared against the next highest ranked team in the standings not involved in the tie. In the case of a three-way tie for first, it would be the fourth place team. If team A defeated Team D, while B and C lost to D, then A wins the tiebreaker. If C lost to D and A and B both won, then C is eliminated from the equation and A and B break their tie based on their head to head meeting . . . If the results against the next highest ranked team in the standings does not break the tie, then you continue down the standings until the tie is broken. If that does not break the tie, then it is decided by a blind draw . . . In 1999, Appalachian State, Furman and Georgia Southern all went 7-1 in the league and all of their losses were to each other. That tie was broken only by a blind draw in which case Furman won the league?s automatic bid to the NCAA Playoffs."

Maybe the rule has changed since 1999?

Anyway, Elon will not flat outscore ASU. Elon needs help in the turnover and time of possession categories. App gets the customary 49, but the jury is out on Elon... could be 49-48 App or Elon, or 49 - 14 App. I don't see App losing, but like the Wofford game, I can't predict a blowout. Apps Win!

AppGrad06
November 10th, 2008, 02:15 PM

I've been playing that out in my head, anyone know the tie beak in that situation?

james_lawfirm
November 10th, 2008, 02:16 PM

In everyday football, I agree, defer the kickoff. However, when playing a quick strike team like the Mountaineers, I suggest you take the ball first. That is just more time (hopefully) that Armanti and co are off the field. If you can get up a score and hold serve, you have a chance. Only exception may be if you are quick strike yourself or have a stud defense.

If you are App, no doubt take the ball. You get ahead and you put all sorts of pressure on folks.

As for the tiebreaker for conference champion, a coworker and I were discussing the 3-way possibility last week. Here is a snippet from a post/news item on SoConsports.com that addresses the 3-way. I could not find the actual tiebreaker rule on the SoCon web site:

"If all three teams went 1-1 against each other, the next tiebreaker criteria is how each team fared against the next highest ranked team in the standings not involved in the tie. In the case of a three-way tie for first, it would be the fourth place team. If team A defeated Team D, while B and C lost to D, then A wins the tiebreaker. If C lost to D and A and B both won, then C is eliminated from the equation and A and B break their tie based on their head to head meeting . . . If the results against the next highest ranked team in the standings does not break the tie, then you continue down the standings until the tie is broken. If that does not break the tie, then it is decided by a blind draw . . . In 1999, Appalachian State, Furman and Georgia Southern all went 7-1 in the league and all of their losses were to each other. That tie was broken only by a blind draw in which case Furman won the league?s automatic bid to the NCAA Playoffs."

Anyway, Elon will not flat outscore ASU. Elon needs help in the turnover and time of possession categories. App gets the customary 49, but the jury is out on Elon... could be 49-48 App or Elon, or 49 - 14 App. I don't see App losing, but like the Wofford game, I can't predict a blowout. Apps Win!

Mason:
Welcome aboard. Wise post for a first try. Keep 'em coming.

HiHiYikas
November 10th, 2008, 02:22 PM

In 1999, Appalachian State, Furman and Georgia Southern all went 7-1 in the league and all of their losses were to each other. That tie was broken only by a blind draw in which case Furman won the league?s automatic bid to the NCAA Playoffs."
Ah, my junior year...conference championships in football and basketball...and I got engaged.

Hey, welcome aboard, Mason. Nice avatar. I kinda wish Popcorn Sutton would just give the University rights to his likeness so we could use him as our logo.

MasonJar
November 10th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Ah, my junior year...conference championships in football and basketball...and I got engaged.

Hey, welcome aboard, Mason. Nice avatar. I kinda wish Popcorn Sutton would just give the University rights to his likeness so we could use him as our logo.

Yup, Ole Popcorn is about as authentic as you can find these days... Thanks for the welcome!

ASUMountaineer
November 10th, 2008, 02:38 PM

Awesome. My freshman year, good year to start college. Wish basketball could keep up.

AppGrad06
November 10th, 2008, 02:57 PM

that makes more sense then going by who hasn't gotten the auto in the longest amount of time

mistersykes
November 10th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Nice post Masonjar. Popcorn is a living legend!xbowx

Elon needs to get a quick start to have a chance. They're capable of doing that, and like in the ASU-Wofford game it took App's defense a while to kick in. If they attack (and bring a strong running game) early, who knows. The neers should def. be favored in this game, but it won't be a gimme. It should be a good one. Too bad I'll be in WV and can't make the game.xbawlingx

Rekdiver
November 10th, 2008, 03:55 PM
No not Tic tic tic... Riddle get intercepted 3 times and ASU wins by 21.

ElonPride
November 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
No not Tic tic tic... Riddle get intercepted 3 times and ASU wins by 21.

He has been off this year....he's already thrown more INT's this year then all of last season. I would have to agree with you here.

Reign of Terrier
November 10th, 2008, 04:16 PM
He has been off this year....he's already thrown more INT's this year then all of last season. I would have to agree with you here.

he threw a lot of overthrown balls against Wofford.

phoenix3
November 10th, 2008, 06:34 PM

Topher99 would we win in this case??? IFFFF we blow out App by 31

App-24
Elon-55
Wofford-90

SoCon Tie-Breaker System
The following is the Southern Conference
tie-breaker system for football.
8.0 Tie-Breaker Policy
8.1 Regular season champions are the teams posting
the best win-loss percentage or points (soccer) against
Conference opponents.
8.2 In the event of identical percentages, preference is
given to the team playing the most conference games.
8.3 Co-champions are declared if teams post identical
records.
8.4 Seeding. The following are the conference’s tiebreaking
criteria unless otherwise noted in each respective
set of sport regulations
8.4.1 - In the event of a tie, the first tie-breaking
decision is based on head to head competition. If one
team has defeated the other teams in head to head
competition, preference is given to the winner of the
competition.
8.4.2 - In the event of multiple ties, preference is
given to the team with the best record against the tied
teams during regular season competition.
8.4.3 - If a tie still remains, competition against the
highest placed team not involved in the tie.
8.4.4 - If a tie still remains, the process is continued
from highest placed team down until the tie is broken.
8.4.5 - In all cases, seeding is done by resolving the
higher seeds first and working down.
8.4.6 – Fewest points allowed among the teams
involved in a three-way or more tie.
8.4.7 – If a tie cannot be resolved as described
above, the Commissioner will have a coin toss.

elon77
November 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
he threw a lot of overthrown balls against Wofford.

To me he has been just a little off this year for some reason, he did seem to be sharper last year. I wonder if there could be something physically wrong with him? Even when he is off he is still pretty dang good.

AppGrad06
November 10th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Topher99 would we win in this case??? IFFFF we blow out App by 31

App-24
Elon-55
Wofford-90

SoCon Tie-Breaker System
The following is the Southern Conference
tie-breaker system for football.
8.0 Tie-Breaker Policy
8.1 Regular season champions are the teams posting
the best win-loss percentage or points (soccer) against
Conference opponents.
8.2 In the event of identical percentages, preference is
given to the team playing the most conference games.
8.3 Co-champions are declared if teams post identical
records.
8.4 Seeding. The following are the conference’s tiebreaking
criteria unless otherwise noted in each respective
set of sport regulations
8.4.1 - In the event of a tie, the first tie-breaking
decision is based on head to head competition. If one
team has defeated the other teams in head to head
competition, preference is given to the winner of the
competition.
8.4.2 - In the event of multiple ties, preference is
given to the team with the best record against the tied
teams during regular season competition.
8.4.3 - If a tie still remains, competition against the
highest placed team not involved in the tie.
8.4.4 - If a tie still remains, the process is continued
from highest placed team down until the tie is broken.
8.4.5 - In all cases, seeding is done by resolving the
higher seeds first and working down.
8.4.6 – Fewest points allowed among the teams
involved in a three-way or more tie.
8.4.7 – If a tie cannot be resolved as described
above, the Commissioner will have a coin toss.

thanks for clearing that up ...and holy crap that would have to be a high scoring game... hats off to Elon if they can out score App by 31 points...now what would be really ridiculous would be if Elon won 76-45, then we'd all be knotted at 90 and it come down to a coin toss.

MaxASU'81
November 10th, 2008, 08:58 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;1200509]There are any number of ways to stop Edwards, but you have to contain him without opening up gaping holes in other parts of the game. Even without the Wofford debacle, we have the second best defense in the SoCon statistically for conference games. Does that mean anything going into Saturday? Of course not. But I see what App did to UTC, GSU, Furman, Samford and Presbyterian and it shows me that App played different, but overall really no better than we did against the same teams.xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xwhistlex

Maybe you should inform the previous 6 Socon teams this season....because except for Furman NO ONE has stopped Armanti this season...something up your sleeve...or just smoking that Alamance County Dirt Weed?

Stop Armanti huh? I just do not see it!

go Apps

gophoenix
November 10th, 2008, 09:04 PM
[QUOTE=gophoenix;1200509]There are any number of ways to stop Edwards, but you have to contain him without opening up gaping holes in other parts of the game. Even without the Wofford debacle, we have the second best defense in the SoCon statistically for conference games. Does that mean anything going into Saturday? Of course not. But I see what App did to UTC, GSU, Furman, Samford and Presbyterian and it shows me that App played different, but overall really no better than we did against the same teams.xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xwhistlex

Maybe you should inform the previous 6 Socon teams this season....because except for Furman NO ONE has stopped Armanti this season...something up your sleeve...or just smoking that Alamance County Dirt Weed?

go Apps

I laid out a how, not a will. Sheesh some of you guys need to take off the homer glasses and read with some perspective.

MaxASU'81
November 10th, 2008, 09:05 PM

Now there is a novel thought! Just score one more point than App. So lets see.....ASU averages 41 and is allowing 22 ppg.

And I see your philosophy has worked for you 9 times in the last 36 meetings! Nice thinking!

gophoenix
November 11th, 2008, 06:40 AM
Now there is a novel thought! Just score one more point than App. So lets see.....ASU averages 41 and is allowing 22 ppg.

And I see your philosophy has worked for you 9 times in the last 36 meetings! Nice thinking!

Well, I can see App is well represented by the likes of you. xrolleyesx

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 11th, 2008, 06:56 AM

go Apps

I think JMU did a pretty good job of stopping Armanti in the 2nd 1/2 of THE game earlier this season. Read STOPPING not SHUTTING DOWN, because he still scored. It seemed like our defense was able to get pressure with the front 4 and force Armanti to throw into pressure situations or take a sack. Still not as easy as it sounds because the guy is soooooo quick but I think its a good way to start. However, it is possible.

That said I don't think Elon's defense is up to the task because of the number of points that Richmond hung on them as Richmond is not known for having a high scoring offense, however, App is.

ElonPride
November 11th, 2008, 07:55 AM
I think JMU did a pretty good job of stopping Armanti in the 2nd 1/2 of THE game earlier this season. Read STOPPING not SHUTTING DOWN, because he still scored. It seemed like our defense was able to get pressure with the front 4 and force Armanti to throw into pressure situations or take a sack. Still not as easy as it sounds because the guy is soooooo quick but I think its a good way to start. However, it is possible.

That said I don't think Elon's defense is up to the task because of the number of points that Richmond hung on them as Richmond is not known for having a high scoring offense, however, App is.

Um, Richmond scored more against your team than they did against Elon. You make it sound like Richmond scored 50+.......they didn't break the 30 point barrier against Elon.xeyebrowx

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Um, Richmond scored more against your team than they did against Elon. You make it sound like Richmond scored 50+.......they didn't break the 30 point barrier against Elon.xeyebrowx

That true, but that was last year--and we all know what happened last year (just see the signature below). With that said, anyone who is predicting a blow out is not thinking right. Sure, we blew out WoCo, but the transitive property doesn't work in football. We put up more points on Michigan last year than Ohio State did, would ASU have beaten Ohio State? I don't know, fact is, no one needs to make a prediction, because no one knows. ASU should win, but that doesn't mean they will.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 11th, 2008, 08:00 AM
[QUOTE=purplepeopleeaterv2;1201902]

By 3 pts at their place in a pretty big rivalry game. My point was that Elon gave up 28 to Richmond AT Elon. Your about to go into (what I deem to be) one of the most intimidating places to play and I don't see your Defense as being able to stop Armanti and company who I believe has a better offense than Richmond. Granted I think you'll score more than 10 points against App as well.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 11th, 2008, 08:04 AM
[QUOTE=ElonPride;1201944]

That true, but that was last year--and we all know what happened last year (just see the signature below). With that said, anyone who is predicting a blow out is not thinking right. Sure, we blew out WoCo, but the transitive property doesn't work in football. We put up more points on Michigan last year than Ohio State did, would ASU have beaten Ohio State? I don't know, fact is, no one needs to make a prediction, because no one knows. ASU should win, but that doesn't mean they will.

Not sure where your first sentence was targeted. But Seeing as how JMU has played both Richmond and App (I've seen both in person) and given Richmond's convincing win at Elon I'm just stating my opinion.

ElonPride
November 11th, 2008, 08:07 AM

My last message was pointed to the JMU fan, not App.

gophoenix
November 11th, 2008, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE=ElonPride;1201944]

By 3 pts at their place in a pretty big rivalry game. My point was that Elon gave up 28 to Richmond AT Elon. Your about to go into (what I deem to be) one of the most intimidating places to play and I don't see your Defense as being able to stop Armanti and company who I believe has a better offense than Richmond. Granted I think you'll score more than 10 points against App as well.

This is a conference game. These guys have played at App before. And they've played at The Citadel and GSU which may not be as loud but are just as hostile. Where it is being played is nothing new to the team.

B&G
November 11th, 2008, 08:32 AM
If Elon weathers the storm in the first half, then I like their chances to make it an exciting game. But if ASU gets a 2 td lead at any point in the game, then I think the floodgates might open up. App began hitting their stride in the 4th quarter against Furman. Now suddenly they're in the groove and probably the hottest team in FCS. Elon's best chance is to try to play the ball control game and take the crowd out of it.

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2008, 09:15 AM
My last message was pointed to the JMU fan, not App.

Ok, but the person quoted in your response has the name MaxASU81. It looks like the quote in your post was messed up. Purpleeater said it, but in your post it has Max saying it. xpeacex

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Not sure where your first sentence was targeted. But Seeing as how JMU has played both Richmond and App (I've seen both in person) and given Richmond's convincing win at Elon I'm just stating my opinion.

The quotes are/ were messed up and I quoted his post which showed MaxASU81 saying it. I see now where he was quoting you. I will delete the post.

ElonPride
November 11th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Ok, but the person quoted in your response has the name MaxASU81. It looks like the quote in your post was messed up. Purpleeater said it, but in your post it has Max saying it. xpeacex

Hmmm....that's a little odd. I also noticed that I was quoted incorrectly in someone else's post....

gophoenix
November 11th, 2008, 09:52 AM
And the response I made a little while ago was quoted wrong too.

Phoenix87
November 11th, 2008, 09:55 AM
First, concerning all of the comments about hostile environments, this team has played much better on the road than at home in some very hostile environments. Georgia Southern and The Citadel may not have quite as many fans packed in to the stadium, but I think everyone in the Socon can attest that the student sections behind the away benches at their places are brutal. I am not worried about a hostile environment because this team has faced adversity and been successful on the road so far this year.

Now stopping AE, thats a different story, although I do feel that athletically Elon matches up much better than Wofford did with App. Wofford is a system team that ran their system to perfection against Elon, and made huge mistakes against App. I believe a deciding factor for Elon's defense will be whether Walker White is back on the field or not, he has been out for three or four weeks. Also Brandon Wiggins (LB) and Brandon Ward (DE) should be back after sitting out of last weeks game.

I am extremely pumped for this weekends game, there are a ton of Elon fans making the drive up that have bought tickets through Apps ticket office. It should be one heck of a championship atmosphere. Good luck to App and let it be a close game no matter who comes out on top.

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2008, 10:03 AM
First, concerning all of the comments about hostile environments, this team has played much better on the road than at home in some very hostile environments. Georgia Southern and The Citadel may not have quite as many fans packed in to the stadium, but I think everyone in the Socon can attest that the student sections behind the away benches at their places are brutal. I am not worried about a hostile environment because this team has faced adversity and been successful on the road so far this year.

Now stopping AE, thats a different story, although I do feel that athletically Elon matches up much better than Wofford did with App. Wofford is a system team that ran their system to perfection against Elon, and made huge mistakes against App. I believe a deciding factor for Elon's defense will be whether Walker White is back on the field or not, he has been out for three or four weeks. Also Brandon Wiggins (LB) and Brandon Ward (DE) should be back after sitting out of last weeks game.

I am extremely pumped for this weekends game, there are a ton of Elon fans making the drive up that have bought tickets through Apps ticket office. It should be one heck of a championship atmosphere. Good luck to App and let it be a close game no matter who comes out on top.

I was with you until here. I prefer App to always win in blowouts, I don't like close games. But, it comes with the territory if you're an App fan. xnodx

gophoenix
November 11th, 2008, 10:33 AM
I was with you until here. I prefer App to always win in blowouts, I don't like close games. But, it comes with the territory if you're an App fan. xnodx

Are you serious? I prefer close games. Blowouts get boring to watch.

AppStateSVX
November 11th, 2008, 10:43 AM

i'm the same way as the other. I don't like close games, i just prefer App to blow the other team away. We're not used to close games up here, my heart can't take it :D

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2008, 10:51 AM

I prefer close games when it's not my team. I want my team to win in a blowout. If I'm just watching a football game between two teams I'm not a fan of, make it a nailbiter.

james_lawfirm
November 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM

Sometimes. The ASU/Chatty blowout was indeed boring.

The ASU/Wofford blowout can best be described with one word. WOW!

The Moody1
November 11th, 2008, 11:34 AM
there are a ton of Elon fans making the drive up

1 ton of Elon fans = 10, 200lb frat boys :D

phoenixphanatic21
November 11th, 2008, 11:40 AM
i'm the same way as the other. I don't like close games, i just prefer App to blow the other team away. We're not used to close games up here, my heart can't take it :D

Personally, I don't care what kind of game it is, as long as my team wins. Though blowouts are a lot easier on my heart. Combine the Carolina Panthers close games this year with a few one Elon's games (GaSo, Cit) and I think I've lost about 2-3 years off my life thanks to football games. But hey, if me dying a little earlier means my team wins, I think I am willing to make that sacrifice (key word there being a little. So dying at age 82 instead of 83).

And now I just wait until tomorrow to see if I get a ticket for the App game from the Elon lottery. If that doesn't work out, I'm gonna go around all of Boone pregame asking for a spare ticket.

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Personally, I don't care what kind of game it is, as long as my team wins. Though blowouts are a lot easier on my heart. Combine the Carolina Panthers close games this year with a few one Elon's games (GaSo, Cit) and I think I've lost about 2-3 years off my life thanks to football games. But hey, if me dying a little earlier means my team wins, I think I am willing to make that sacrifice (key word there being a little. So dying at age 82 instead of 83).

And now I just wait until tomorrow to see if I get a ticket for the App game from the Elon lottery. If that doesn't work out, I'm gonna go around all of Boone pregame asking for a spare ticket.

I hear that. Imagine how I felt last year after having driven to Ann Arbor and watching that game...that's probably why I'm starting to lose my hair. xlolx

PM me if you don't get a ticket through the lottery, I may have an extra (I won't be going having surgery Friday morning).

biggie
November 11th, 2008, 12:02 PM
Appears to be plenty of tickets (Grass - SRO) still remaining for those looking for them. According to online sales about 2500 left. But they've cut off those sells early (possibly by tomorrow) the last couple home games.

ericsaid
November 11th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I read a post that said Riddle had many overthrown balls in some games. Which could be bad news for Elon because that's where a lot of Mark Legrees interceptions come it seems like.

App 52
Elon 28

phoenixphanatic21
November 11th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I hear that. Imagine how I felt last year after having driven to Ann Arbor and watching that game...that's probably why I'm starting to lose my hair. xlolx

PM me if you don't get a ticket through the lottery, I may have an extra (I won't be going having surgery Friday morning).

I can only imagine how that felt. Though I bet that was the best ride home ever.

And thanks a lot. I'm sorry to hear you have to miss it. Hope your surgery goes well.

app
November 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
App 42 Elon 28

PhoenixPhan06
November 11th, 2008, 01:14 PM
What's the atmosphere gonna be like Friday night? I'm thinking about heading up there Friday instead of Saturday morning to see what the Boone nightlife is all about.

AppSt.09
November 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
What's the atmosphere gonna be like Friday night? I'm thinking about heading up there Friday instead of Saturday morning to see what the Boone nightlife is all about.

There's a bunch of bars, some good ones are Char, Cafe Portofinao, Boone Saloon, and The Library.

neersnbeers
November 11th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Depending on what the lady friend does, I may have a couple extra tix.

ASUMountaineer
November 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
I can only imagine how that felt. Though I bet that was the best ride home ever.

And thanks a lot. I'm sorry to hear you have to miss it. Hope your surgery goes well.

It was a great ride home. All the way through Ohio people were blowing their horns at us. giving us thumbs up, shaking our hands. It was hilarious. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope it goes well too xlolx

AppSt.09
November 11th, 2008, 04:28 PM
It was a great ride home. All the way through Ohio people were blowing their horns at us. giving us thumbs up, shaking our hands. It was hilarious. Thanks for the well wishes, I hope it goes well too xlolx

I was with the band last year and that was the best part about the trip. About made up for the fact that i wasn't able to celebrate as hard as If i was in Boone,xnodx. the bus ride through the night sucked.:(

asucrutch23
November 11th, 2008, 04:33 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51103&highlight=boone

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

AppAlum
November 13th, 2008, 08:14 AM
So what's the story with Elon? Do they have enough speed to counteract App? Which matchups should we pay attention to?

Appinator
November 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM
http://www.booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

As we are getting a little closer, this is the forecast you want to check for the most accurate game day weather. Sounds like it's going to be classic mid-November Boone.

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 09:24 AM
What is the tailgating setup in Boone? Is there one or multiple lots for visitors? Does the fun usually begin 4 hours prior to kickoff?

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51103&highlight=boone

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Thanks

beauvighn
November 13th, 2008, 09:29 AM
So what's the story with Elon? Do they have enough speed to counteract App? Which matchups should we pay attention to?

Nobody has as much speed as App. and you and everyone else knows it. Why ask a question you already know the answer to. There Graduation rate is higher though

biggie
November 13th, 2008, 09:32 AM
What is the tailgating setup in Boone? Is there one or multiple lots for visitors? Does the fun usually begin 4 hours prior to kickoff?
Your best bet is to find a pay lot and no there is no one place for visitors that I know of.

Majority of people are normally set up by 10-11am, weather may affect that a little this week.

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 09:42 AM
Your best bet is to find a pay lot and no there is no one place for visitors that I know of.

Majority of people are normally set up by 10-11am, weather may affect that a little this week.

Thank you kind sir, I'm looking forward to a great game! I just hope the weather cooperates with us a bit. When all else fails though, drink another beer xbeerchugx

biggie
November 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Thank you kind sir, I'm looking forward to a great game! I just hope the weather cooperates with us a bit. When all else fails though, drink another beer xbeerchugx
The weather will definately be typical Boone. I'm guessing high 30s at kick, 20mph winds with 40mph gusts and I'd say we see flurries by the end of the game.

Hopefully it can help App by limiting the passing games. We shall see.

AppAlum
November 13th, 2008, 10:08 AM

If you don't mind walking a bit to the game, you can park at the South lot on top of Bodenheimer drive. At least for homecoming it was free and we could tailgate there.

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
The weather will definately be typical Boone. I'm guessing high 30s at kick, 20mph winds with 40mph gusts and I'd say we see flurries by the end of the game.

Hopefully it can help App by limiting the passing games. We shall see.

As brutal as that weather sounds, its about time for a little fall/winter weather. Last weekend for homecoming, it was sunny and in the 70's.

AppAlum
November 13th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Nobody has as much speed as App. and you and everyone else knows it. Why ask a question you already know the answer to. There Graduation rate is higher though

Your overestimating my knowledge of Elon football, and App for that matter.

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 10:15 AM
Your overestimating my knowledge of Elon football, and App for that matter.

We're supposed to have our starting S Walker White back as well as starting LB Brandon Wiggins which should help bridge the speed gap. I'm sure AE will have his plays, but with those guys back and a healthy D-Line that had 7 sacks against WCU, we should atleast be able to slow down the ASU express.

In my opinion, the game will be settled on the offensive side of the ball. If we can get the passing game going and have success running the ball then I think we'll be right in there until the final whistle.

While it seems like forever ago, (09/06 to be exact) we played our second game at Stony Brook in a torrential downpour so hopefully our guys can draw on that experience Saturday in Boone.

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 10:43 AM
We're supposed to have our starting S Walker White back as well as starting LB Brandon Wiggins which should help bridge the speed gap. I'm sure AE will have his plays, but with those guys back and a healthy D-Line that had 7 sacks against WCU, we should atleast be able to slow down the ASU express.

In my opinion, the game will be settled on the offensive side of the ball. If we can get the passing game going and have success running the ball then I think we'll be right in there until the final whistle.

While it seems like forever ago, (09/06 to be exact) we played our second game at Stony Brook in a torrential downpour so hopefully our guys can draw on that experience Saturday in Boone.

You are also underestimating the power of cold weather rain and snow. Passing attacks are going to be hard to come by because of the conditions. The rock is more intimidating to play in, just ask wofford. 2 years ago isn't exactly game experience in the a torrential downpour. Have you played in rain at all on turf? COMPLETELY different in my opinion. Apps offensive line has been solid.

7 sacks against WCU

a middle school team could accomplish that on the right day.

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 11:18 AM
You are also underestimating the power of cold weather rain and snow. Passing attacks are going to be hard to come by because of the conditions. The rock is more intimidating to play in, just ask wofford. 2 years ago isn't exactly game experience in the a torrential downpour. Have you played in rain at all on turf? COMPLETELY different in my opinion. Apps offensive line has been solid.

a middle school team could accomplish that on the right day.

The game was on 09/06/08. My appologies for the confusion, thats how I write my dates. And yes the game on 09/06/08 was on turf. The field (possibly due to poor drainage) was a big puddle by the 2nd quarter, and by the 4th quarter you could hardly see the other team across the field.

From the recent gameday weather report in Boone, there is no snow in the forecast so you can eliminate that element from your arguement.

mountaineer_dax
November 13th, 2008, 11:31 AM
The game was on 09/06/08. My appologies for the confusion, thats how I write my dates. And yes the game on 09/06/08 was on turf. The field (possibly due to poor drainage) was a big puddle by the 2nd quarter, and by the 4th quarter you could hardly see the other team across the field.

From the recent gameday weather report in Boone, there is no snow in the forecast so you can eliminate that element from your arguement.

AM showers; Late afternoon & nighttime snow showers (west) or flurries (east); NW wind 10-20 mph with PM gusts to 40 mph

Rain will develop Friday afternoon and last into Saturday morning. A cold front will move through early Saturday morning sending temperatures sharply lower by late Saturday afternoon. Saturday night and Sunday will be very cold with snow showers (west) and flurries (east). It will be very blustery Saturday and Sunday. A second, strong shot of cold air will arrive late Monday.

Raysweather.com is the most accurate source for weather information in Boone.

Last I checked the game started at 330 and would be finished by 630 at the earliest. I'm pretty sure late afternoon falls into that.

biggie
November 13th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Flurries remain a possibility towards the end of the game and then a dusting in Boone overnight. The weather may change every 5 mins, but it will be in the 30s, windy and drizzling/flurries at times. just par for this time of year.

elon77
November 13th, 2008, 11:44 AM

And, their tuition is higher.xbawlingx

jedmis10
November 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
If you blow out Elon like that I will spray-paint a giant App. State logo on the front of the press box in Paulson Stadium. SoCon teams usually play with grudges and Elon is no exception (see Elon versus Furman, Elon put more points on them than anyone including Virginia Tech).

I can't wait to hear what the SoCon bashers are going to say when the game goes down to the wire.

"But...but...Jerry Moore LET them keep it close to help out another team in the conference!"

Head to the paint store!

PhoenixPhan06
November 13th, 2008, 01:59 PM
AM showers; Late afternoon & nighttime snow showers (west) or flurries (east); NW wind 10-20 mph with PM gusts to 40 mph

Rain will develop Friday afternoon and last into Saturday morning. A cold front will move through early Saturday morning sending temperatures sharply lower by late Saturday afternoon. Saturday night and Sunday will be very cold with snow showers (west) and flurries (east). It will be very blustery Saturday and Sunday. A second, strong shot of cold air will arrive late Monday.

Raysweather.com is the most accurate source for weather information in Boone.

Last I checked the game started at 330 and would be finished by 630 at the earliest. I'm pretty sure late afternoon falls into that.

Looks like my career aspirations of being a weather man just got shot down xoopsx

DLS
November 13th, 2008, 03:19 PM
anyone seen this video of chancellor peacock drunk dancing?

http://home.nc.rr.com/moserkatz/MVI_4549.html

why hasnt he been riding the particle board, showing off the trophies this year?

phoenixphanatic21
November 13th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Looks like my career aspirations of being a weather man just got shot down xoopsx

It's ok. Don't give up. Weather men are wrong half the time anyway.

ElonPride
November 13th, 2008, 07:24 PM

I work in TV.....that's the only job where you can be wrong a majority of the time and still be employeed!!!!! xsmiley_wix

phoenixphanatic21
November 13th, 2008, 08:52 PM
I work in TV.....that's the only job where you can be wrong a majority of the time and still be employeed!!!!! xsmiley_wix

Hmm, maybe newspaper isn't the right career for me. Time to change majors!

SoCon48
November 13th, 2008, 10:29 PM
anyone seen this video of chancellor peacock drunk dancing?

http://home.nc.rr.com/moserkatz/MVI_4549.html

why hasnt he been riding the particle board, showing off the trophies this year?

1. Too many to carry.
2. Not drunk, what makes you think he is?

T-Dog
November 13th, 2008, 11:42 PM
According to the forecast guy on MMB, rain/drizzle at the start of the game, gradually turning to snow after halftime. xnodx

The flatlanders from Burlington are going to freeze. :D

DLS
November 14th, 2008, 06:39 AM
1. Too many to carry.
2. Not drunk, what makes you think he is?

1. he could have a little helper
2. who dances like that sober?

(subquestion: when has anyone ever seen peacock at a party and not drunk?)

SoCon48
November 14th, 2008, 07:04 AM

he walks like thatxcoffeex

T-Dogg
November 14th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Half the time is being very kind. I bet it is closer to 25% of the time they are close to right!

Appinator
November 14th, 2008, 08:40 AM
http://obsfifty.blogspot.com/2008/11/meet-elon-wr-terrell-hudgins.html

Nice write-up in the Charlotte Observer about Hudgins. I think they said Marcus Colston was too slow coming out of Hofstra too, didn't they? I think he'll have a great shot in the NFL.

tralfangar
November 14th, 2008, 10:12 AM

I've been around Peacock numerous times and I have never seen him drunk. I don't think I've ever seen him touch a glass of alcohol. As Chancellor he has to always be on guard in terms of how people will perceive his actions. He is just a free spirit as my mother says, which is why you see him encouraging the crowd at football games and dancing without care at a Gala event. I was actually at that event in the film and saw him dancing. He was not drunk.

Appstate29
November 14th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I've been around Peacock numerous times and I have never seen him drunk. I don't think I've ever seen him touch a glass of alcohol. As Chancellor he has to always be on guard in terms of how people will perceive his actions. He is just a free spirit as my mother says, which is why you see him encouraging the crowd at football games and dancing without care at a Gala event. I was actually at that event in the film and saw him dancing. He was not drunk.

If I ever see Ken Peacock at a bar, he pays for NOTHING that night. Our old Chancellor liked to hit the bottle every now and again, I don't think Ken has the same problem. He might drink a beer or three before the game, but if he drank 26 and came stumbling out it wouldn't lower my opinion of him at all. He may very well be the single greatest thing to happen to this school, the catalyst that will push us to new heights.

tralfangar
November 14th, 2008, 10:48 AM
If I ever see Ken Peacock at a bar, he pays for NOTHING that night. Our old Chancellor liked to hit the bottle every now and again, I don't think Ken has the same problem. He might drink a beer or three before the game, but if he drank 26 and came stumbling out it wouldn't lower my opinion of him at all. He may very well be the single greatest thing to happen to this school, the catalyst that will push us to new heights.

I believe you have just discovered the reason why he has to be so careful about how he is perceived when alcohol is involved.

Skjellyfetti
November 14th, 2008, 04:49 PM

Do you still need a ticket? I've got a guest ticket you can have.

appvette
November 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
I know this isn't on Sports South, but is it televised locally? I didn't get a ticket like an idiot!

asu3peat
November 14th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Arrive to KBS early and purchase a ticket from the booth!

CID1990
November 14th, 2008, 09:25 PM
This game is going to be over early, just like the El Cid and Wofford games. Elon doesn't have the front four on OL or DL.

jonmac
November 15th, 2008, 08:17 AM
This game is going to be over early, just like the El Cid and Wofford games. Elon doesn't have the front four on OL or DL.

I sure hope you're right, Cid. The weather could make it interesting though. Should help us more than hurt us, but you never know.

phoenixphanatic21
November 15th, 2008, 08:28 AM
Do you still need a ticket? I've got a guest ticket you can have.

Thanks a lot. Fortunately, I was able to get a ticket through a secondary student lottery they had, so I will be fine. See you guys up there in a few ones. Ill be the one all decked out in maroon with the Scott Riddle jersey.

SideLine Shooter
November 15th, 2008, 08:29 AM
That should be easy to find!xnodx

elon77
November 15th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks a lot. Fortunately, I was able to get a ticket through a secondary student lottery they had, so I will be fine. See you guys up there in a few ones. Ill be the one all decked out in maroon with the Scott Riddle jersey.

If Scott has a monster day and Elon wins, maybe everyone in Boone will want to wear a Scott Riddle jersey.xnodx xnodx
Go Elon. Make the Socon race interesting.

phoenixphanatic21
November 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
If Scott has a monster day and Elon wins, maybe everyone in Boone will want to wear a Scott Riddle jersey.xnodx xnodx

That would be a great sight to behold

AppStateold299
November 15th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I hope you all have a great experience in Boone, but not too good! It should be a good game.

elon77
November 15th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I hope you all have a great experience in Boone, but not too good! It should be a good game.

I sure hope you are right. We don't really need another Woffy game.xthumbsupx

mountaineer_dax
November 15th, 2008, 11:26 AM

That is assuming Hudgins can score against Cortez. Who hasn't been scored on at all this season. Even when he was guarding LSU's receivers. Just sayin...

AlphaSigMD
November 15th, 2008, 01:54 PM
is the App State game available online today?

appstate1998
November 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM
yes it is on right now and I think Pierre Banks just brought every cousin brother sister aunt uncle grandparent parent he has onto the field for senior day lol. Everyone had 2-4 people...He had like 30 lol

PhoenixPhan06
November 17th, 2008, 10:00 AM
yes it is on right now and I think Pierre Banks just brought every cousin brother sister aunt uncle grandparent parent he has onto the field for senior day lol. Everyone had 2-4 people...He had like 30 lol

My buddy's dad was his HS coach and there are 18 kids in the Banks family so I'm sure he had a crowd with him.