PDA

View Full Version : SDSU 52 - Ill. State 21

89rabbit
November 9th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Wow, it was cold. I am still not thawed out. xxmasx

Still I am glad I was at CAS to witness the record setting day.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20081109/SPORTS0202/811090332/1002/sports

Berry throws 7 TDs in SDSU win

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • November 9, 2008

BROOKINGS - Neither Mother Nature nor Illinois State could so much as slow streaking South Dakota State.

The Jackrabbits scored 24 unanswered points in the first quarter and quarterback Ryan Berry broke school and Missouri Valley Football Conference records for most touchdown passes in a game with seven in a 52-21 victory against the Redbirds before a crowd of 3,276 at frigid, snowy, windy, muddy Coughlin-Alumni Stadium.

A senior from Watertown, Berry also set school marks for career touchdown passes (52) and career completions (477) as SDSU stayed in a three-way tie atop the Valley and extended its win streak to three. During that run, the Jacks (6-4, 5-1) have wracked up 1,514 yards and 144 points, outscoring the opposition by 101.

"We've finally found out things that work for us the best, and I think we're doing those things more on offense," said running back Kyle Minett, who had 161 yards rushing - breaking the 1,000 mark for the season - and 42 yards receiving. "Also, we're really starting to get more healthy up front. That helps the run game and gives Ryan time to throw seven touchdown passes like he did tonight."

Berry wasn't sure he would attempt seven passes due to the conditions. But in front of a national audience on Fox College Sports network, he wound up 17 of 29 for 237 yards with seven touchdowns - believed to be the most in the Football Championship Subdivision this year - and no turnovers. . . . (read more)

Khan4Cats
November 9th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Looks like the Rabbits are continuing their trend of peaking at the end of the year.

Is the game this week televised? It will certainly be more interesting than UNI at Indiana State, of course UNI opens the basketball season Saturday as well.

Should be a humdinger of a game in Carbondale. Good luck Rabbits, we're pulling for you. xthumbsupx (Really, seriously.) No ulterior motives at all.xwhistlex

JBB
November 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM
I watched this one on TV. Berry was looking good as was the entire JackRabbit team. It looked a little slow but the field was soft. When I watched them play Iowa State the Jacks looked a lot faster. SDSU has some good linebackers, they have a great passing game and their line opens things up for their running backs. Its building up to one heck of a game in Fargo.

Chi Panther
November 9th, 2008, 11:47 AM
2 big games remain for the jackrabbits....good luckxthumbsupx

slostang
November 9th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Congrats to Mr. Berry and SDSU. Keep it going Jacks.

crunifan
November 9th, 2008, 12:36 PM
Now if you could keep this going next week against SIU, us UNI fans would be very grateful.

Houndawg
November 9th, 2008, 04:31 PM
2 big games remain for the jackrabbits....good luckxthumbsupx

Break a leg.xwhistlex

KleinTx05
November 9th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Good luck Jacks!!!

clenz
November 9th, 2008, 09:47 PM
UNI fans might become VERY large SDSU fans this week.

skinny_uncle
November 9th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Looks like the Rabbits are continuing their trend of peaking at the end of the year.

Is the game this week televised? It will certainly be more interesting than UNI at Indiana State, of course UNI opens the basketball season Saturday as well.

Should be a humdinger of a game in Carbondale. Good luck Rabbits, we're pulling for you. xthumbsupx (Really, seriously.) No ulterior motives at all.xwhistlex
Unfortunately, there is no TV coverage of this one that I am aware of.

89rabbit
November 10th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Big games on the road the next two week. The Jackrabbits need to win out! xthumbsupx

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20081110/SPORTS0202/811100321/1002/sports

Nearing end, Jacks keep up playoff hopes
Tough road tests ahead

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • November 10, 2008

BROOKINGS - There's snow on the ground and the South Dakota State football team is still in the postseason picture.

Since opening October with consecutive - and rare - home losses, the Jackrabbits have rattled off three straight wins by 30 points or more, something that hadn't happened since 1954. They are in a three-way tie atop the Missouri Valley Football Conference with two rigorous road games remaining in the longest regular season in school history.

"This is exactly what we needed to do," said senior quarterback Ryan Berry, who threw a school and league record seven touchdown passes in a 52-21 victory against Illinois State on Saturday and was named Missouri Valley Football Conference offensive player of the week on Sunday, "to go into these last two weeks with confidence and momentum and keeping our playoff chances alive."

Technically, SDSU (6-4, 5-1) - in its first year of NCAA Division I postseason eligibility - needs one more victory to get to seven wins, the minimum requirement to be considered for one of eight at-large bids to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

However, the Jacks will almost certainly need to win both of their remaining games to get into the tournament, considering Northern Iowa (8-2, 6-1) only needs to win at Indiana State - loser of 24 in a row - next week to clinch the Valley's automatic berth.

Although it's rare for a four-loss club like SDSU to get an at-large bid, no Valley team with eight Division I wins has ever been denied access. . . . (read more)

Houndawg
November 10th, 2008, 09:05 AM
Big games on the road the next two week. The Jackrabbits need to win out! xthumbsupx

http://www.argusleader.com/article/20081110/SPORTS0202/811100321/1002/sports

Nearing end, Jacks keep up playoff hopes
Tough road tests ahead

Terry Vandrovec • [email protected] • November 10, 2008

BROOKINGS - There's snow on the ground and the South Dakota State football team is still in the postseason picture.

Since opening October with consecutive - and rare - home losses, the Jackrabbits have rattled off three straight wins by 30 points or more, something that hadn't happened since 1954. They are in a three-way tie atop the Missouri Valley Football Conference with two rigorous road games remaining in the longest regular season in school history.

"This is exactly what we needed to do," said senior quarterback Ryan Berry, who threw a school and league record seven touchdown passes in a 52-21 victory against Illinois State on Saturday and was named Missouri Valley Football Conference offensive player of the week on Sunday, "to go into these last two weeks with confidence and momentum and keeping our playoff chances alive."

Technically, SDSU (6-4, 5-1) - in its first year of NCAA Division I postseason eligibility - needs one more victory to get to seven wins, the minimum requirement to be considered for one of eight at-large bids to the Football Championship Subdivision playoffs.

However, the Jacks will almost certainly need to win both of their remaining games to get into the tournament, considering Northern Iowa (8-2, 6-1) only needs to win at Indiana State - loser of 24 in a row - next week to clinch the Valley's automatic berth.

Although it's rare for a four-loss club like SDSU to get an at-large bid, no Valley team with eight Division I wins has ever been denied access. . . . (read more)

Huh?

JayJ79
November 10th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Huh?

Don't you know?
The Salukis have already lost the Jackrabbits.
They just don't know it yet. :p

Go Bison
November 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Nice win. How come only 3,276 fans? I realize the weather was bad but I thought you would have more than that. I think you guys need to have another Hobo Days game.

Rabbitlivinginverm
November 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Nice win. How come only 3,276 fans? I realize the weather was bad but I thought you would have more than that. I think you guys need to have another Hobo Days game.

Cause it's November and our fans suck. I had more fun at this game than any of the other home games this year. Fair weather fans really missed out on a good time.

siuham
November 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Cause it's November and our fans suck. I had more fun at this game than any of the other home games this year. Fair weather fans really missed out on a good time.

We had shoddy attendance too. :( And it wasn't *that* cold. It was annoying-ly cold, but it wasn't that cold.

UNIFanSince1983
November 10th, 2008, 10:07 AM
It was pretty cold Saturday and we still drew 13,000+ people...xsmiley_wix

Go Bison
November 10th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Sorry to hear that. You guys are playing well and still have a shot.

89rabbit
November 10th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Huh?

Can't say for sure since I didn't write the story, but the way I read Terry's story was that even if we beat SIU we have to win up in Fargo because UNI would get the Auto Bid if they beat Indiana State.

He was playing out our (his readers) playoff scenario, if SDSU loses this Saturday to SIU we are done until next year. xcoffeex

89rabbit
November 10th, 2008, 10:49 AM

As one who was at the game - bitter cold (24 degrees at kick-off with North winds at 35 - 50 mph) on game day, and a blizzard thursday before the game (I-90 was still closed in the western part of the state on gameday) was the main reason the crowd was down. Oh yea and the game was on TV so you didn't have to sit in the cold to watch the game.

jackmd
November 11th, 2008, 11:36 AM

The small crowd was a vocal crowd but still disappointing. It was cold. Suggestion, dress warm, yell, jump and clap alot. Realize its just a couple of hours. I showed up at 9 am for the tailgate and had an absolutely great day. The poor crowd the week before was even more disappointing. Beautiful weather and less than 7000. We need to look hard at ways to get more people to these late season games. Of course, bringing NDSU in will do that. I think UNI would draw well, too.