PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Knocks Out SFA, 38-21

bobcatfan06
November 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Nov. 12, 2005

Final Stats

NACOGDOCHES - Markee White hauled in a career-high seven catches, and Barrick Nealy recorded 375 yards of total offense in Texas State's 38-21 win Saturday over Stephen F. Austin.

The win was the second straight for the Bobcats who improved to 8-2 and have now won eight games for the first time since becoming a Division I-AA playing school in 1984. The Bobcats also kept pace in the Southland Conference football race at 4-1 in league play.

"There was a lot at stake here and this was a significant football game," said Texas State second-year coach David Bailiff. "I don't want this team to last for just this season. But I want our seniors to look back at this year for a lifetime and be proud of the 2005 season. I think that's what they have done.

Texas State scored the game's first touchdown, but SFA answered with two straight scores to go up 14-7. From that point, The Bobcats outdid the Lumberjacks 31-7 en route to the 17-point win.

Nealy passed for 224 yards on 16-of-24 passing, and his 160 rushing yards were a team-high in the win. Nealy also figured on three of the Bobcats' five touchdowns, running for one and throwing for two. Daniel Jolly and Nick Session accounted for the other two Bobcat scores, each coming on runs from inside the five.

White led the Bobcats with 97 yards receiving and a touchdown, while the balance of the Bobcat scoring came on a 27-yard Stan Jones field goal in the fourth quarter.

Jeremy Castillo led the team in tackles with nine, two of which were solo stops, while the Bobcats forced a pair of second-half turnovers on intercepted passes.

SFA was paced by 203 yards passing from quarterback Zeke Dixon and 91 receiving yards from Carl Price, and the duo also claimed the Lumberjacks' two touchdowns through the air. SFA's only score on the ground came from Louie Runnels, who finished the game with a Lumberjack-high 149 yards on the ground.

SFA was forced into a three-and-out to begin the game, and Texas State took advantage of field position with a 35-yard scoring drive, finished on Session's three-yard touchdown on the ground. The run was set up by a 23-yard pass from Nealy to Blake Burton that put the `Cats deep in SFA territory, and the Bobcat rushing attack took over to complete the five-play drive and go up 7-0.

SFA moved the ball deep into Texas State territory on its next possession with a pair of long pass completions, and the Lumberjacks tied the game at the 7:55 mark in the quarter with a four-yard touchdown pass from Dixon to Price to lock up the 80-yard, nine-play scoring possession.

Stephen F. Austin went on to take its first lead of the game with 9:54 to play in the second quarter when Dixon again found Price, this time on a 58-yard strike that put the `Jacks up 14-7. Price was able to get behind the Bobcat defense on the play, and Dixon lofted the ball in for the senior receiver, capping the three-play, 80-yard touchdown drive.

Texas State responded after the teams traded punts, scoring on a four-yard Jolly touchdown punch with 45 seconds left on the clock. The drive started at the Bobcat 36 with 2:48 to play in the half, and was set up by a pair of Nealy first-down runs that went for nine and 11 yards. The eight-play, 64-yard drive sent the teams to the halftime break tied at 14-14.

Bailiff pulled his team together on the field before heading to the locker room at the break.

"I told them that just is not us," he said. "But I am really proud of our seniors and how they responded in the second half."

Texas State exploded out of the locker room, scoring in nine plays, capped by a 22-yard pass from Nealy to Jolly that made the score 21-14. The touchdown catch marked the second this season by a Bobcat back as well as the first touchdown reception for Jolly in a Bobcat uniform.

On its ensuing drive, Stephen F. Austin pounded the ball deep into Bobcat territory, but on a third-and-five from the 22, Texas State defensive tackle Teddy Jones jumped in front of an SFA screen pass to grab his first-career interception, giving the `Cats the ball midway through the third quarter.

Texas State made good on the turnover, scoring in five plays on a 34-yard strike from Nealy to White with 4:55 left in the third. The touchdown gave the `Cats their first two-score lead of the game and capped a drive that covered 78 yards and took 2:27 off of the clock.

Stephen F. Austin would answer on its next possession cutting the lead to seven with 1:51 to play in the third, scoring on a four-yard Louie Runnels touchdown run to make the score 28-21 at the end of the third quarter.

Texas State opened the fourth quarter with a 27-yard Stan Jones field goal to push the advantage to 31-21 with 12:12 to play in the game, and with 3:36 to play, Gary Shepard saved a touchdown with an interception at the one yard line.

The interception, coupled with an 80-yard Nealy touchdown scamper iced the 38-21 Bobcat win, and the run capped the game-ending 99-yard touchdown drive.

Texas State will close the regular season Saturday when it plays host to Sam Houston State on Senior Day in San Marcos. Kickoff is slated for 3 p.m. at Bobcat Stadium.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Nealy with 375 yards of total offense!?!?! I didn't think it was that much. :eek:

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/111205aab.html