PDA

View Full Version : JumpTV Causing Outage for Football Fans

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2008, 03:32 PM
JumpTV is DOWN. System-wide including GoBearkats.com, the Southland web site and countless other FCS, FBS web sites around the country.

That's really hurting those trying to follow football games via the JumpTV network today. Lots of $$$ being lost today on people who are squeezed out of broadcasts...

elcid96
November 8th, 2008, 03:33 PM
That must be the reason I cannot get the Citadel Game to Broadcast.Thanks.

danefan
November 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
ualbanysports.com is down.

I wonder how many websites they have.

JohnStOnge
November 8th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Dang. I hope it's back up by 7 pm CST.

jonmac
November 8th, 2008, 03:35 PM
That explains the problems App fans have been having this afternoon.

SiouxFallsJack
November 8th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Down on gojacks.com as well. I couldn't make it to the game but am able to watch on Fox Atlantic.

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2008, 03:46 PM
Yep, tell folks JumpTV is down. It's SYSTEM-wide and not just your site. Lots of football fans are out of luck today. Pass the word...

SeattleGriz
November 8th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Up here in the NW, we call ours BigSuckTV (BigSkyTV).

Its free, but only after screwing people for the last two years with PPV.

At least I get to watch the UM vs Portland game.

Syntax Error
November 8th, 2008, 04:04 PM
this is what happens when so many are in the hands of one (XOS in this case)

jmc_jackrabbit
November 8th, 2008, 04:10 PM
Honestly, JumpTV has never impressed me much. Their low rates brought a bunch of athletic programs into their system. But they obviously haven't scaled their operations to match.

AppGrad06
November 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
goasu.com is back up

chrisattsu
November 8th, 2008, 04:17 PM
It is affecting the D2 level as well. Tarleton and Abilene Christian U's website are having problems.

onbison09
November 8th, 2008, 04:50 PM
JumpTV sucks. Didn't even renew my subscription because I was just so sick of it.

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
JumpTV's low rates aren't for every school...quite a few schools got deals through conference partnerships. JTV makes their money on auction, online stores and most importantly, BROADCASTS.

This cost them money. Football season is awful for those dealing with the backend.

jmc_jackrabbit
November 8th, 2008, 07:46 PM
JumpTV's low rates aren't for every school...quite a few schools got deals through conference partnerships. JTV makes their money on auction, online stores and most importantly, BROADCASTS.

This cost them money. Football season is awful for those dealing with the backend.

So I'm supposed to accept outages literally every time I use a service because what they do is hard? Somebody email Amazon.com. They don't need to worry about uptime because what they do is really hard.

If your business is streaming media, you sure as heck better be sure your infrastructure is capable of reliably streaming media. End users don't care at all how hard it is to do it. These problems have been ongoing literally since JumpTV started doing this. It's just not a good product and I happen to know they're not exactly great to work with, either. Prediction: JumpTV is gone within three years.

SoCon48
November 8th, 2008, 09:40 PM
That explains the problems App fans have been having this afternoon.

Are they refunding $ for those having paid?

TexasTerror
November 8th, 2008, 09:46 PM
So I'm supposed to accept outages literally every time I use a service because what they do is hard? Somebody email Amazon.com. They don't need to worry about uptime because what they do is really hard.

I was not talking about JumpTV, I was talking about the folks from the athletic departments who maintain the web sites with all the news and info on all sports. JumpTV is super slow on football Saturdays (throw in volleyball and other live streaming, etc -- especially with hoops exhibitions). I'm not a big fan of taking forever to make things happen.

If your business is streaming media, you sure as heck better be sure your infrastructure is capable of reliably streaming media. End users don't care at all how hard it is to do it. These problems have been ongoing literally since JumpTV started doing this. It's just not a good product and I happen to know they're not exactly great to work with, either. Prediction: JumpTV is gone within three years.

I agree.

It's gotten better, but I do not think they were ready for the basketball addition this weekend on top of the football, volleyball, soccer that they had been dealing with. There is no question that their sales staff has moved much quicker than their technical support and server maintenance abilities. That's what I've always said.

JumpTV will be around...too many schools got several year contracts. They'd have to be bought out.

Syntax Error
November 8th, 2008, 10:14 PM
JumpTV will be around...too many schools got several year contracts. They'd have to be bought out.That happened before when FansOnly when under.