PDA

View Full Version : Who has the most Div. I wins since 2000?

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
http://missoulian.com/articles/2008/11/08/sports/sports05.txt

Montana is on the verge of a little-known milestone: With a win Saturday the Griz will have 100 victories dating back to the start of the 2000 season.

Big Sky Conference assistant commissioner Jon Kasper did the leg work on the statistic, which has the Griz outpacing such programs as Boise State and Oklahoma in the Bowl Championship Subdivision and Appalachian State in the FCS.

Here's a look at the top five for all Division I and the FCS:

Division I

Montana 99-21

Oklahoma 98-18

Boise State 94-16

Texas 93-12

Ohio State 88-22

FCS

Montana 99-21

Appalachian State 86-29

Northern Iowa 77-29

Furman 77-33

Georgia Southern 75-34

Appalachian State has won the last three FCS titles.

Portland State linebacker Andy Schantz, a candidate for the Buck Buchanan Award for the top defensive player in the FCS, remained impressed with the Grizzlies before this season began.

“This summer people were asking me if this was going to be a down year for Montana, and yadda, yadda, yadda,” said the 235-pounder. “No. It's never going to be a down year for Montana. They have a tradition of winning, and they ingrain that in their kids.

“They look good on film. They've got a good, big line. Good skill guys. Their running back looks good on tape. (Cole) Bergquist is really good too.”

When you divide the 99-21 by nine seasons Montana's yearly record averages 11 - 2.3.

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM
Is that counting the playoffs? If so I would see why he would start with 2000 since Montana played in the championship in 2000 and won in 2001 giving them an extra few games to win.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 08:46 AM
It's all games played. Playoffs, Bowls, everything. How else would you average 13.3 games a season.

Where would you like to start 1999? That would be ten years. And our record would be 108-24.

TCisMYhero
November 8th, 2008, 08:53 AM
I demand a recount!!

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Oh since 2000 you are complaining because Montana was in the championship twice. Do you remember winning three in a row? That gives you a few extra games to win too.

Of course Montana is doing it about the same way Boise State is doing it.

TCisMYhero
November 8th, 2008, 08:59 AM
When you divide the 99-21 by nine seasons Montana's yearly record averages 11 - 2.3.

...in the Big Sky....

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 09:03 AM
It's all games played. Playoffs, Bowls, everything. How else would you average 13.3 games a season.

Where would you like to start 1999? That would be ten years. And our record would be 108-24.

It's impressive I'll admit...but think about this. In 2001 you went 15-1 and were national champions. In 2000 Oklahoma went 13-0 and were national champions. All I'm saying you can skew stats to always do something that makes your record look more impressive. Usually a playoff winning FCS school is going to play more games and and FBS school. So since 1999 until today Montana has played 4 more games than Oklahoma.

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Oh since 2000 you are complaining because Montana was in the championship twice. Do you remember winning three in a row? That gives you a few extra games to win too.

That is exactly my whole point. I'm not looking at this as a fan of a school.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 09:22 AM
...in the Big Sky....

Well since 2000. Montana is:

6-3 against the CAA.
2-1 against the Gateway.
4-3 against FBS.

Of the 99 wins only 5 are Division II.

ursus arctos horribilis
November 8th, 2008, 09:26 AM
...in the Big Sky....

Which is a higher rated conference during that same time period...thanks for the compliment man.

Also the extra games that we have as FCS fans are the easiest games to lose. We have to play the top 16 in the nation in our final games of the season which would make it a lot easier to lose those games. Look at App last year...they had a slate of CAA teams in their final games.

Native
November 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Well since 2000. Montana is:

6-3 against the CAA.
2-1 against the Gateway.
4-3 against FBS.

Of the 99 wins only 5 are Division II.

xbowx xbowx xbowx xthumbsupx

DFW HOYA
November 8th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Since 2000, Dayton is 77-19. Of course, not all of these are Division I-eligible wins.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2008, 09:41 AM
appstate1998 after seeing your second post I understand what you are getting at and that is a very valid point.

And yes I understand one of those victories was a 38-0 drubbing of my Panthers in 2001. But like he said it isn't fair to compare FCS or DII or DIII to FBS because they only have one postseason game. If they had a playoff things may be different.

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 09:45 AM
appstate1998 after seeing your second post I understand what you are getting at and that is a very valid point.

And yes I understand one of those victories was a 38-0 drubbing of my Panthers in 2001. But like he said it isn't fair to compare FCS or DII or DIII to FBS because they only have one postseason game. If they had a playoff things may be different.

Thanks...I just see it as a milestone for FCS not Division 1.

UNIFanSince1983
November 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
I know it isn't DI, but in the same time span Mount Union is 118-4.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 09:49 AM
It's a Division I record no matter how you want to figure it. Remember these FBS teams get a 12 game schedule and a Bowl every year. We've had several years that we ended at just 12 games. Does that then make it UNFAIR that they get 13 games????

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 09:56 AM
It's a Division I record no matter how you want to figure it. Remember these FBS teams get a 12 game schedule and a Bowl every year. We've had several years that we ended at just 12 games. Does that then make it UNFAIR that they get 13 games????

You make it to the playoffs every single year so we know you have at least one guaranteed lost every year.

But hey, you better hope that you win one of your next two games and Oklahoma doesn't win 2 first or else you wouldn't have your so called record "record"

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 10:02 AM
You are hilarious.

Winningest Team in Division I Football

So-Called record? xlolx xlolx xlolx That's like people putting down a so-called National Championship because it isn't the highest level of College Football. If you want to look at it that way then how could an FCS team honestly call themselves a National Champion?????

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM
first to 100 wins since 2000? Thats a great record. Maybe next year we can give a record for first team to 50 wins since 2005.

Green26
November 8th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Since 1999, the Big Sky is the 2nd rated conference, behind the Colonial, according to Sagarin.

griz&beer
November 8th, 2008, 10:28 AM

Yep the same way KICKING ASS. xnodx

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Jeeze, Appstate1998, I'm sorry ASU can't be #1 at everything. xrolleyesx

Here's to hoping the Mountaineers can keep their success up, much like Montana, instead of sliding back into obscurity once their magical run is over. xlolx xrotatehx :p

clenz
November 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Here's to hoping the Mountaineers can keep their success up, much like Montana, instead of sliding back into obscurity once their magical run is over. xlolx xrotatehx :pThat is kind of what I was thinking. It seems like they can't handle the fact that they aren't #1 in this. They complain about Montana and 2 seasons of the title game, and they have three straight. Seems strange to me.

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Here's to hoping the Mountaineers can keep their success up, much like Montana, instead of sliding back into obscurity once their magical run is over. xlolx xrotatehx :p

Wow....I could care less about Appalachian State in this conversation. I already said this would be a milestone in FCS. Last time I checked ASU is in FCS. I said it's dumb to be comparing wins in FCS to FBS. Percentage for Montana he said is 11-2.3. Oklahoma is 10.9 and 2 and Texas is 10.3 and 1.3 and Boise State is 10.4 and 1.8

Montana has played 15 more games than Texas in that time span. 4 more than Oklahoma. I don't see where I have brought up ASU once in this discussion to discredit Montana.

Just because I'm an Alumni of ASU it seems you take my forum name and that fact and automatically assume I think App should win it all. I'm a huge App fan but I'm a realistic one as well. We have had a good stretch but we have never been known for our year in year out consistency like Montana.

Way to judge xnonox

ASU88
November 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Is this true? Were there really games being played before 2005? xlolx

ASU88
November 8th, 2008, 10:46 AM
We have had a good stretch but we have never been known for our year in year out consistency like Montana.

I don't know about that. Considering Moore has only had ... what ... one losing season in 20 years? Maybe not consistency at THE TOP, but a consistent winning program going all the way back to the early 80s.

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM
I don't know about that. Considering Moore has only had ... what ... one losing season in 20 years? Maybe not consistency at THE TOP, but a consistent winning program going all the way back to the early 80s.

That's why I said like Montana with their consistent playoff appearances

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 10:51 AM
You ASU guys did take note that the Missoulian writer gave ASU credit for three straight Championships, didn't you? He didn't need to do that, it was completely off topic but he did it.

uofmman1122
November 8th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Wow....I could care less about Appalachian State in this conversation. I already said this would be a milestone in FCS. Last time I checked ASU is in FCS. I said it's dumb to be comparing wins in FCS to FBS. Percentage for Montana he said is 11-2.3. Oklahoma is 10.9 and 2 and Texas is 10.3 and 1.3 and Boise State is 10.4 and 1.8

Montana has played 15 more games than Texas in that time span. 4 more than Oklahoma. I don't see where I have brought up ASU once in this discussion to discredit Montana.

Just because I'm an Alumni of ASU it seems you take my forum name and that fact and automatically assume I think App should win it all. I'm a huge App fan but I'm a realistic one as well. We have had a good stretch but we have never been known for our year in year out consistency like Montana.

Way to judge xnonoxxlolx xlolx

That whole thing about ASU being the first to 50 wins certainly had nothing to do with ASU.xlolx

BTW, more games equals more chances of losing, and the Griz still didn't. xpeacex xlolx

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 10:58 AM
xlolx xlolx

That whole thing about ASU being the first to 50 wins certainly had nothing to do with ASU.xlolx

BTW, more games equals more chances of losing, and the Griz still didn't. xpeacex xlolx

I was just using a scenario of how silly I thought it was....

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Ok wait a minute let's get serious. 1st team to 100 wins in the decade and you call it SILLY!

I have a feeling there are about 240 Division I teams that would like that record. Do you disagree? Or is it just silly?xsmiley_wix

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Ok wait a minute let's get serious. 1st team to 100 wins in the decade and you call it SILLY!

I have a feeling there are about 240 Division I teams that would like that record. Do you disagree? Or is it just silly?xsmiley_wix

yes I think it is silly when you are comparing different divisions. Don't know how many times I need to say that if it was just FCS it wouldn't be silly. Montana doesn't have the best win percentage of the last decade in Division 1, so that is why I think number of games matter.

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 11:09 AM
yes I think it is silly when you are comparing different divisions. Don't know how many times I need to say that if it was just FCS it wouldn't be silly. Montana doesn't have the best win percentage of the last decade in Division 1, so that is why I think number of games matter.

Well we are the 1st to 100 by FAR in FCS so you still come in second.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

appstate1998
November 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Well we are the 1st to 100 by FAR in FCS so you still come in second.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Congratulations xbowx xbowx xbowx

I still think it's funny you think I'm trying to bring Appalachian into this discussion. I keep talking about FBS schools and you keep bringing up appalachian state. Anyways...football is now on....hopefully you can win today and rub it in Oklahoma's face that you beat them to 100.

Good luck

proasu89
November 8th, 2008, 11:19 AM

The comparison between FCS and FBS does not diminish the accomplishment. xthumbsupx They earned the right to compete in all of the extra playoff games and won most of them. App fans post every milestone we have and each one is subject to some sort of scrutiny, except for the only one that really matters.xpeacex

DuckDuckGriz
November 8th, 2008, 12:16 PM

Not true. Boise hasn't blown out and shut out UNI. xlolx xpeacex

appfan2008
November 8th, 2008, 01:31 PM
As an app fan I would like to say congratulations on being the first team to 100 wins in this decade... numbers can skewed all you want and these are no exception but seriously that is impressive... 100 wins is 100 wins so congrats... keep em coming and lets meet in chatty!

Saint3333
November 8th, 2008, 01:34 PM
first to 100 wins since 2000? Thats a great record. Maybe next year we can give a record for first team to 50 wins since 2005.

Next year? I hope it happens the first week of the playoffs this year.

2005 - 12
2006 - 14
2007 - 13
2008 - only need 11 to reach 50.

eaglewraith
November 8th, 2008, 07:28 PM
One flaw that effects all of the numbers. The NCAA didn't recognize playoff stats until after the 2001 season. That means technically you couldn't use those wins to count in the stats until the 02 season.

If you get to use those, then I get to use AP's rushing and TD totals from the playoffs in 2000 and 2001 :D

Ronbo
November 8th, 2008, 07:48 PM
One flaw that effects all of the numbers. The NCAA didn't recognize playoff stats until after the 2001 season. That means technically you couldn't use those wins to count in the stats until the 02 season.

If you get to use those, then I get to use AP's rushing and TD totals from the playoffs in 2000 and 2001 :D

They also don't count BCS Bowl stats.

This isn't a recognized NCAA stat. It's just the first Div. I team to 100 wins. Bragging rights. I doubt anything goes in a record book other than the scores.

eaglewraith
November 8th, 2008, 07:50 PM
They also don't count BCS Bowl stats.

This isn't a recognized NCAA stat. It's just the first Div. I team to 100 wins. Bragging rights. I doubt anything goes in a record book other than the scores.

Fair enough :)