PDA

View Full Version : A-10 might get one playoff team?

FlyBoy8
November 12th, 2005, 04:18 PM
The top of the A-10 looks like this:
UNH - 9-1 (6-1) - beat UMass, UC-Davis, Hofstra, lost to WM
UMass - 7-3 (6-1) - beat Richmond, lost to Colgate, UNH, Army
UR - 7-3 (6-1) - beat Hofstra, lost to UMass, Lafayette, Vanderbilt
Hofstra - 6-4 (4-3) - beat nobody, lost to Furman, JMU, UR, UNH

If Hofstra beats UMass, I think they knock UMass out and don't have enough quality wins themselves to make it in at 7-4 (they played all D-I teams). And if William & Mary beats Richmond, that knocks Richmond out of the playoffs as well.

Bottom line: The A-10 could end up with four 7-4 teams and only get one team into the playoffs.

Now tell me about how your conference is hard.

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 04:27 PM
The top of the A-10 looks like this:
UNH - 9-1 (6-1) - beat UMass, UC-Davis, Hofstra, lost to WM
UMass - 7-3 (6-1) - beat Richmond, lost to Colgate, UNH, Army
UR - 7-3 (6-1) - beat Hofstra, lost to UMass, Lafayette, Vanderbilt
Hofstra - 6-4 (4-3) - beat nobody, lost to Furman, JMU, UR, UNH

If Hofstra beats UMass, I think they knock UMass out and don't have enough quality wins themselves to make it in at 7-4 (they played all D-I teams). And if William & Mary beats Richmond, that knocks Richmond out of the playoffs as well.

Bottom line: The A-10 could end up with four 7-4 teams and only get one team into the playoffs.

Now tell me about how your conference is hard.

Without doing any research, I'll tell you that the Big Sky, SoCon, Gateway and Patriot are all up in the air right now, with at least three very good teams and several others that can beat anybody on any given Saturday. I believe the Patriot has Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate all at 7-3. They all won today. I don't know the rest of their schedules or who won the head to head games, I'm just not willing to take the time to look it up right now, but suffice it to say that the A-10 is not alone, which is why they are not the dominant conference they were last year.

CollegeObserver
November 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Well, I suppose it could happen, but UR will not lose to W&M. They have gotten better and better, week by week. The Spiders may be playing the best on both sides of the ball right now. We'll see.

UMass922
November 12th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I'm looking at it this way: UMass is in the playoffs--it's just that the playoffs start next week with a road game at Hofstra.

As for Richmond: is it safe to say that they're in with a win, too? It's hard to imagine a 7-1 team in the A-10 not making it, but the impression I'm getting is that the Spiders would still be perceived as something of a "bubble" team, whereas the perception is that a UMass team with the same record (and with what seems to me to be a comparable schedule) is a shoe-in.

I guess a lot of it will depend on what happens in other conferences.

bkrownd
November 12th, 2005, 04:49 PM
I'm looking at it this way: UMass is in the playoffs--it's just that the playoffs start next week with a road game at Hofstra.

I hope the coaches are telling the players that. No room to lose now.

CollegeObserver
November 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM

As for Richmond: is it safe to say that they're in with a win, too? It's hard to imagine a 7-1 team in the A-10 not making it, but the impression I'm getting is that the Spiders would still be perceived as something of a "bubble" team, whereas the perception is that a UMass team with the same record (and with what seems to me to be a comparable schedule) is a shoe-in.

I guess a lot of it will depend on what happens in other conferences.

The Spiders would be in trouble if they lose to W&M, but they are certain to be "in" if they win. No bubble here. One of the three losses was to a pretty good I-A, Vandy.

Jaxhen
November 12th, 2005, 04:56 PM
If UMASS and Richmond win their last game, they should be in, especially this year. Montana may be the only team representing the Big Sky this year and the Gateway may only get two teams in this year.

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 05:11 PM
If the Griz win today, I have to think they will be in regardless. If they lose to MSU next Saturday, they would still finish 8-3, and I think they get the at-large. However, if MSU beats EWU and UM, they would be in too. It may be too late for EWU.

LUHawker
November 12th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Without doing any research, I'll tell you that the Big Sky, SoCon, Gateway and Patriot are all up in the air right now, with at least three very good teams and several others that can beat anybody on any given Saturday. I believe the Patriot has Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate all at 7-3. They all won today. I don't know the rest of their schedules or who won the head to head games, I'm just not willing to take the time to look it up right now, but suffice it to say that the A-10 is not alone, which is why they are not the dominant conference they were last year.

Lehigh is 8-2, Colgate and Lafayette are both 7-3. If Lehigh defeats Lafayette, LU takes the auto-bid. If Lafayette wins and Colgate wins, Colgate takes the auto-bid. Lafayette can only get the auto-bid if they defeat Lehigh and Colgate loses to Georgetown.

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Lehigh is 8-2, Colgate and Lafayette are both 7-3. If Lehigh defeats Lafayette, LU takes the auto-bid. If Lafayette wins and Colgate wins, Colgate takes the auto-bid. Lafayette can only get the auto-bid if they defeat Lehigh and Colgate loses to Georgetown.

OK, thanks. I had that wrong. No wonder Lehigh is in my (and everybody's) poll. :D :D :D

colgate13
November 12th, 2005, 06:13 PM
And Colgate certainly didn't make an at-large case today. We looked awful on offense and we were lucky to win.

HensRock
November 12th, 2005, 07:22 PM

I guess there's always a first time for everything.

I think all three will win and Richmond will be a bubble team.
If UNH loses to Maine, I'll guarantee at least 2 of the 3 teams will go.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 12th, 2005, 07:24 PM
After today's loss by Umass, if Lehigh and Umass win, the Minutemen better be comming to Goodman.

blukeys
November 12th, 2005, 07:30 PM
After today's loss by Umass, if Lehigh and Umass win, the Minutemen better be comming to Goodman.

How can Umass's loss today be held against them. I'm certainly no Umass fan but I have seen both Lehigh and Umass and Umass is certainly deserving of a home game. You guys got a home game last year that was questionable vs. JMU. The CalPoly folks didn't even believe you should have gotten in. You can certainly hope to get a home game just for the sake of greed. But Lehigh is not owed a home game against Umass.