PDA

View Full Version : FAMU to host ESPN College Game Day

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
ESPN College Game Day comes to FAMU (http://rattlernation.blogspot.com/2008/11/espn-to-college-game-day-comes-to-famu.html)

Kudos to FAMU for pulling this off. xnodx
Maybe people will realize that FCS is more than just "App State" xlolx

They'll be in town for the Hampton game as well. Looking forward to it. xthumbsupx

danefan
November 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
That's awesome!

When was the last time an FCS (if ever) hosted Gameday?

LehighFan11
November 7th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Are they seriously going to FAMU vs Hampton?

Skjellyfetti
November 7th, 2008, 07:28 PM
That's awesome. Looks like it's true... here's a better source:

http://www.wctv.tv/sports/headlines/34118109.html

813Jag
November 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
xthumbsupx the last FCS game they were at was the 05 Bayou Classic.

JmuSkinsfan
November 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
That's awesome. It's always great to get some love for the FCS level. But ... ugh ... I can't help but think that they should have been in Harrisonburg for ASU v. JMU back in September.

SU Jag
November 7th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Congrats to FAMU!xbowx

Big Dawg
November 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
YES!!! I'll be there!!!

UDBlueLotFan
November 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Am I out of line by saying the only reason they're there is because Barak won President-Elect? Before I get pounded on, just listen. When ANY I-AA school, even our 3-time Defending Champ, App.St.xbowx , the first thing out of their mouths are CUPCAKES xmadx xnonox The Bayou Classic doesn't count, just because....it's the Bayou Classic xthumbsupx It'll be interesting what they're going to cover for 2 hours about our "subpar-cupcake" league....

LehighFan11
November 7th, 2008, 08:23 PM
I love that the FCS is getting more visibility, but FAMU really?

SU Jag
November 7th, 2008, 08:24 PM

You sond like a real hater!xbawlingx

SU Jag
November 7th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Am I out of line by saying the only reason they're there is because Barak won President-Elect? Before I get pounded on, just listen. When ANY I-AA school, even our 3-time Defending Champ, App.St.xbowx , the first thing out of their mouths are CUPCAKES xmadx xnonox The Bayou Classic doesn't count, just because....it's the Bayou Classic xthumbsupx It'll be interesting what they're going to cover for 2 hours about our "subpar-cupcake" league....

You sound like a real jack-a##!xnodx

Big Dawg
November 7th, 2008, 08:30 PM

Yeah you sound pretty jealous right now. Look, FAMU is one of the best places in all of FCS to catch a football game.

Plus this our coaches 1st time going up against his former team. I'm pretty sure that will be talked about.

UDBlueLotFan
November 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
You sound like a real jack-a##!xnodx

Nah Jag, really. I'm not a hater, but I do know how Corso and crew are every wkend on Gameday. If they can't give our 3x Champ some respect, what is their agenda on giving MEAC,...I mean Sun Belt,...stop the press,... I mean MEAC-FAMU and...who are they playing again some respect?

DSUrocks07
November 7th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah you sound pretty jealous right now. Look, FAMU is one of the best places in all of FCS to catch a football game.

Plus this our coaches 1st time going up against his former team. I'm pretty sure that will be talked about.

We can have storylines too xlolx

Big Dawg
November 7th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Nah Jag, really. I'm not a hater, but I do know how Corso and crew are every wkend on Gameday. If they can't give our 3x Champ some respect, what is their agenda on giving MEAC,...I mean Sun Belt,...stop the press,... I mean MEAC-FAMU and...who are they playing again some respect?

I can actually see what you're saying. But they actually picked a great game and a great college football town(FAMU and FSU) as well.

skinny_uncle
November 7th, 2008, 09:38 PM
That's awesome!

Does basketball count?
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFPg4O6vdkU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0TWWM1kRVU&feature=related

catamount man
November 7th, 2008, 09:45 PM
It's always the MEAC or the SWAC for ESPN. xrolleyesx

No, no other FCS conferences are out there..........xrolleyesx

Big Dawg
November 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM

You sound mad...atleast the Socon gets a PRIMETIME game on ESPN2. That's WAY better than this crummy ESPNU deal we got.

Stop complaining.

Franks Tanks
November 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
That's awesome!

Game Day was also at the 2002 Harvard-Penn game at Franklin Field at the urging of Beano Cook.

This also seems to be shaping up as Gameday's non FBS weekend. They were at the Amherst-Williams game last year on that weekend. But good stuff.

UDBlueLotFan
November 7th, 2008, 10:10 PM
You sound mad...atleast the Socon gets a PRIMETIME game on ESPN2. That's WAY better than this crummy ESPNU deal we got.

Stop complaining.

WOW, WCU complaining?...I though you were going to complain about your AD terminating the football program xsmiley_wix You should let teams in the SoCon who's won more than 1 Conf-game speak for ya xwhistlex xwhistlex xnonox

STANBY, this could be moving to the Smack Board....

Mr. Tiger
November 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM

Stop complaining.

ESPN2 just had on the Wofford-App State game. But everyone can see the statement he was trying to make. Sad. xnonono2x

EllsworthGriz
November 7th, 2008, 10:51 PM
WOW, WCU complaining?...I though you were going to complain about your AD terminating the football program xsmiley_wix You should let teams in the SoCon who's won more than 1 Conf-game speak for ya xwhistlex xwhistlex xnonox

STANBY, this could be moving to the Smack Board....

Just a smack of reality, the elite could care less about us down here. Thats right, down here, where we are a way below their rador. If you ever went to play a qaulity team in the 1-A and delt the ass holes you would know where you stand in the pecking order. You dont mean **** to them no matter if you shirt says APP or JMU, or UNI, or MONTANA. They don't care and would not know a great game if it unfolded infront of them. I think its great FAMU will host and cant wait to see it. Can't say what the elite ass holes will think and don't care. Go FAMU

mistersykes
November 7th, 2008, 11:54 PM
I think its great! Great for FAMU and great for FCS. I don't understand why people are complaining so much. xconfusedx We (App) were just on ESPN2 for a game, so let somebody else have a chance to show off their program.

I hope y'all put on a good show for the folks at home who didn't know what they had been missing.xthumbsupx

SUjagTILLiDIE
November 8th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Congrats Famu. xthumbsupx

JmuSkinsfan
November 8th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Definitely props to FAMU for getting Gameday. I think the atmosphere will be top notch. That being said, if ESPN is trying to sell the playoffs that they cover, you would think they'd visit a team that would be playing in it. This is sour grapes though, I was just really pulling for ESPN to come to Harrisonburg for the ASU JMU game ...

That being said, sour grapes aside, this is great for FCS and great for FAMU!

G.S.Green
November 8th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Ponder this..... most of the post here are arguing over the merits of having FAMU play HU vs. some other more respectable game. Come on...... just be happy that its an FCS game! Any coverage is far better than what we usually get.

Secondly, you must also acknowledge that the MEAC did get a deal for ESPNU coverage and it is in the 'Family of Networks' best interest to generate more coverage for its latest venture since, by all accounts, it has been struggling to generate ratings.

G.S.Green

DSUrocks07
November 8th, 2008, 06:34 AM

Ya'll are startin to sound lik soma dem BCS-folk out there xlolx

Take it as it is...you already know they're gonna talk about App State and our playoff system. And like Big Dawg said, Tallahassee is a great college football town, so you know that they'll have a great crowd. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Panther88
November 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Congrats FAMU!!!!

Go MEAC/SWAC and continue to show others how we regularly pull fans even though our brand of football is considered "sub-par." lol "sub-par" pays the bills so let it be what it should be. :-)

Where's that list of highly attended FCS games 2008? I need to look and laugh some more. :D

R.A.
November 8th, 2008, 10:24 AM
So Gameday will be at the Hampton/FAMU game AND the Florida CLassic?

Big Dawg
November 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
So Gameday will be at the Hampton/FAMU game AND the Florida CLassic?

xconfusedx

brownbear
November 8th, 2008, 04:08 PM

If it was about Obama, they would go to a Harvard or Columbia game.

blackcaesar3k5
November 8th, 2008, 04:44 PM
kudos to FAMU

phoenixphanatic21
November 8th, 2008, 05:26 PM
That's awesome. It's always great to get some love for the FCS level. But ... ugh ... I can't help but think that they should have been in Harrisonburg for ASU v. JMU back in September.

Yea I feel that would've been a much better choice. I guess there aren't many good FBS games going on next week.
And I completely agree with you LehighFan11. It is very nice to see the FCS get some love from ESPN, but FAMU? I think that might be one of the last schools I thought they'd go to. But hey, whatever. I got yet another reason to watch it next week while I'm getting ready for Elon-App.

Pitbull
November 8th, 2008, 06:03 PM

http://forum.the5thquarter.com/images/smilies/icon_wtf.gifhttp://forum.the5thquarter.com/images/smilies/icon_shullbit.gifhttp://forum.the5thquarter.com/images/smilies/icon_garbage.gif

bigbluetiger
November 8th, 2008, 06:45 PM
http://forum.the5thquarter.com/images/smilies/icon_wtf.gifhttp://forum.the5thquarter.com/images/smilies/icon_shullbit.gifhttp://forum.the5thquarter.com/images/smilies/icon_garbage.gif

Obama will be blamed/credited for everything good thing that happens to a black person/organization for the next four years.

UDBlueLotFan
November 8th, 2008, 06:51 PM
If it was about Kerry, they would go to a Harvard or Columbia game.

fixed it for ya! maybe 8yrs ago....

UDBlueLotFan
November 8th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Sorry Pit, just calling it the way I see it xnodx You must not be familiar with the Gameday folks? They are R-E-L-E-N-T-L-E-S-S against us. You had our I-AA Game of the Century with JMU-App.St. and no one was calling them for airtime. Now all of a sudden, you have two HBCU teams, who'll probably not even make our playoff system, get the biggest spotlight in College Football knocking at their door?xeyebrowx That my friend, is not shullbit/garbage!xwhistlex ..., but it does smell fishy xcoffeex

Big Dawg
November 8th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Actually there are alot of FAMU alums that work for ESPN...just putting that out there...maybe if your journalism/communications students work a little harder...*whistles and walks out*

UDBlueLotFan
November 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Actually there are alot of FAMU alums that work for ESPN...just putting that out there...maybe if your journalism/communications students work a little harder...*whistles and walks out*

Big Dawg, our esteemed UD-ESPN journalist sold us out calling UD racist for not playing DSU for his 2-seconds of fame. You know the story. Anyway, I know FAMU puts butts in the seats and you'll put on a good show. I'll be out of the country the next two wks, but will find ya online. I'd have your students make signs for Corso saying, Coach Corso is a CUPCAKE!!

Big Dawg
November 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Big Dawg, our esteemed UD-ESPN journalist sold us out calling UD racist for not playing DSU for his 2-seconds of fame. You know the story. Anyway, I know FAMU puts butts in the seats and you'll put on a good show. I'll be out of the country the next two wks, but will find ya online. I'd have your students make signs for Corso saying, Coach Corso is a CUPCAKE!!

xlolx...and then add "sweetheart" at the end

PMB4Life
November 8th, 2008, 08:41 PM

Out of line... no. But I'm certainly going to say that it's a bit of a stretch.

Zoo
November 8th, 2008, 11:13 PM

Personally, I'm just happy that an FCS school is getting a chance to host College Gameday. xpeacex

HIU 93
November 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM
Yea I feel that would've been a much better choice. I guess there aren't many good FBS games going on next week.
And I completely agree with you LehighFan11. It is very nice to see the FCS get some love from ESPN, but FAMU? I think that might be one of the last schools I thought they'd go to. But hey, whatever. I got yet another reason to watch it next week while I'm getting ready for Elon-App.

Have you ever been to FAMU? I have been to both FAMU and JMU, and I can tell you that, for what Gameday wants, FAMU is a better place to be. There will be thousands of fans there tailgating, there will be a tremendous amount of activity outside of the stadium pre and post game. JMU is a great team, but your social atmosphere pre-game leaves a lot to be desired. FAMU won't have that problem.

mcveyrl
November 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Have you ever been to FAMU? I have been to both FAMU and JMU, and I can tell you that, for what Gameday wants, FAMU is a better place to be. There will be thousands of fans there tailgating, there will be a tremendous amount of activity outside of the stadium pre and post game. JMU is a great team, but your social atmosphere pre-game leaves a lot to be desired. FAMU won't have that problem.

I think he's an Elon Phan.

I'm excited for FAMU and FCS and see what you're saying, but "for what Gameday wants" I'm not sure the social atmosphere would be THAT much different. You get a couple of tailgating shots (which you could definitely get between the Godwin field and P-lot tailgaters at JMU) for commercial breaks and have a big crowd behind Corso and Co. (which you're going to get ANYTIME ESPN descends on a smaller school).

I'm not going to dispute that the atmosphere is probably better at FAMU, I just don't know how much of that would matter from a broadcast standpoint. They did go to Amherst-Williams last year.

Having said that, I'm not gonna hate on FAMU or anybody else that pulls Gameday. I hope they do it right and it encourages ESPN to do more of these.

HIU 93
November 11th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I think he's an Elon Phan.

I'm excited for FAMU and FCS and see what you're saying, but "for what Gameday wants" I'm not sure the social atmosphere would be THAT much different. You get a couple of tailgating shots (which you could definitely get between the Godwin field and P-lot tailgaters at JMU) for commercial breaks and have a big crowd behind Corso and Co. (which you're going to get ANYTIME ESPN descends on a smaller school).

I'm not going to dispute that the atmosphere is probably better at FAMU, I just don't know how much of that would matter from a broadcast standpoint. They did go to Amherst-Williams last year.

Having said that, I'm not gonna hate on FAMU or anybody else that pulls Gameday. I hope they do it right and it encourages ESPN to do more of these.

I'm not hating on JMU either, and FTR, I wouldn't want to see Gameday at Hampton either, because there would be little to no fan support there, unless it was homecoming. FAMU is an FCS equivalent of a Tech, Florida, USC in terms of fan support. We don't quite get to that level of fan support in VA for our FCS schools. That was my point. Sorry if it seemed like I was hating on JMU.

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 11th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Maybe people will realize that FCS is more than just "App State" xlolx

I just wanted to go back to the first post to ask a simple question we are all asking. What is this nonsense about there being more to the FCS than App State? xconfusedx

appmaj
November 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
I just wanted to go back to the first post to ask a simple question we are all asking. What is this nonsense about there being more to the FCS than App State? xconfusedx

Just any chance to take a dig at App.

This is good for FCS.
FAMU better show up for this. That is my fear that no one will show up for the Gameday portion of the coverage.

lizrdgizrd
November 11th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Congrats, FAMU! Kick Herbstreit in the ass for me. xlolx

Appfan_in_CAAland
November 11th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Just any chance to take a dig at App.

Seriously, I want to know! There is more to FCS than App State? Why wasn't I told? I thought FCS and App State were one and the same!

mcveyrl
November 11th, 2008, 12:03 PM
I'm not hating on JMU either, and FTR, I wouldn't want to see Gameday at Hampton either, because there would be little to no fan support there, unless it was homecoming. FAMU is an FCS equivalent of a Tech, Florida, USC in terms of fan support. We don't quite get to that level of fan support in VA for our FCS schools. That was my point. Sorry if it seemed like I was hating on JMU.

No, didn't take it as hating on JMU, I know you like the VA schools too much to do that. I was just saying I think that ESPN could get the production shots they needed no matter where they are.

The timing just works out perfectly for this. FSU has the Saturday night game on ABC and if they're going to do a non-BCS school, there's no better place than FAMU...

I do want to see some classic signs, though!! "Corso Wears a Merkin" is my favorite.

leatherneck177
November 11th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Very cool, I think I speak for all of us when I say that it would be a dream come true for that to happen at our schools.

Big Dawg
November 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
No, didn't take it as hating on JMU, I know you like the VA schools too much to do that. I was just saying I think that ESPN could get the production shots they needed no matter where they are.

The timing just works out perfectly for this. FSU has the Saturday night game on ABC and if they're going to do a non-BCS school, there's no better place than FAMU...

I do want to see some classic signs, though!! "Corso Wears a Merkin" is my favorite.

We're takng all ideas for signs right nowxlolx

"The ORIGINAL Kings of Florida College Football"

"Big 3 MY AZZ!!!" and then have the logos of FSU, UF, and Miami

We're thinking...xlolx

JagHammer
November 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Gone on head FAMU!xthumbsupx

gsugt1
November 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
What are the records of FAMU and HU ?

UDBlueLotFan
November 11th, 2008, 03:32 PM
What are the records of FAMU and HU ?

FAMU(7-3, 3-3 MEAC)
HU(5-4, 4-2 MEAC)

DSUrocks07
November 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
FAMU(7-3, 3-3 MEAC)
HU(5-4, 4-2 MEAC)

Two weeks ago, this had the potential of being game of the year in the MEAC...now not so much. xsmhx

Still have hopes on it being a great game as well and a FAMU victory to add to the potential importance of the Florida Classic next week.

Keep an eye out for FSU fans to show up from the other side of the tracks xlolx

furman94
November 14th, 2008, 03:15 PM
We need some FCS is Best signs up tommorrow!

DOME
November 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
While it'd be great exposure to have this at UNI there would be more Dbag Iowa and Iowa State fans there just to look dumb than UNI fans.
If FSU fans show up I'd give em a real hard time if I were there...be good and get your own game day instead of stealing ours!

CAAisBOSS
November 14th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I'm excited to watch College Gameday cover a High School football game tomorrow!

SU Jag
November 14th, 2008, 06:24 PM
I'm excited to watch College Gameday cover a High School football game tomorrow!

Different day, same shat!xrolleyesx

GATA
November 14th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Different day, same shat!xrolleyesx

The guy has 6 posts...I wouldn't take him too seriously. Besides William & Mary is college football garbage.

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2008, 08:06 AM
Live look-in on ESPN right now. Lee Corso says that it "feels like a homecoming for him"

Looks like a pretty good crowd is there as well xthumbsupx

813Jag
November 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Live blog (http://www.hbcusportsblog.com/2008/11/famu-gameday-live-blog/) for the broadcast.

813Jag
November 15th, 2008, 08:13 AM
You shouldn't talk about the BCS schools like that. xlolx

89Hen
November 15th, 2008, 08:49 AM
We need some FCS is Best signs up tommorrow!
Would be great, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. xpeacex

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Great run-down on the MEAC and how long our schools have been playing football.

Hampton 107 years
FAMU 103 years
Del State 85 years:D

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2008, 09:20 AM
Question for App fans:

Do you have a home game the second to last week of the season next year? I would be all for a senior year Armanti Edwards College Gameday at the Rock xthumbsupx

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM
The Washington State Cougar flag continues the streak xlolx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 15th, 2008, 10:54 AM
CG panel discusses the race issue and insinuates the big-money boosters in football programs are racist. Leave the politics out of it, please. xnonono2x

813Jag
November 15th, 2008, 10:57 AM
CG panel discusses the race issue and insinuates the big-money boosters in football programs are racist. Leave the politics out of it, please. xnonono2x
They didn't insinuate that all are racist, but it can't be that unbelievable that some people wouldn't want a black coach at their school. Some people wouldn't want a white coach at an HBCU.

But out of all the good stories I'm not surprised this was an issue.

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2008, 11:38 AM

Money talks....it doesn't matter what you're morals are. If someone wants you to hire a certain coach and threatens to withhold potential donations because of it...what lies behind closed doors xwhistlex

DSUrocks07
November 15th, 2008, 12:06 PM
Great showing FAMU, and loved that Corso went with the home team and put on that old Rattler head xthumbsupx

R.A.
November 15th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Wow, by the response on AGS, you'd think that not many people watched College Game Day today... come on posters... where is the love?

HIU 93
November 15th, 2008, 02:15 PM
That was straight up AWESOME!!!!!!!! I told y'all FAMU would show up and show out at Gameday. I want to see more FCS Gamedays and more HBCU Gamedays now.

813Jag
November 15th, 2008, 02:44 PM
That was straight up AWESOME!!!!!!!! I told y'all FAMU would show up and show out at Gameday. I want to see more FCS Gamedays and more HBCU Gamedays now.
The Rattlers represented to the fullest. xthumbsupx I only wish I was off of work. I would have surely driven up to the Hill.

Big Dawg
November 15th, 2008, 04:48 PM
College Gameday was fun!!! My voice is gone...and Corso put on my uniform!!!

And FAMU handed Hampton a 45-24 loss!!!

Big Dawg
November 15th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Hey go skin yourself and jump in tub of alcohol...:)

Big Dawg
November 16th, 2008, 01:06 PM
http://cmsimg.tallahassee.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?NewTbl=1&Avis=CD&Dato=20081115&Kategori=FAMU03&Lopenr=811150806&Ref=PH&Item=1&MaxW=550&MaxH=600&DsRadius=5&Q=90&BgColor=B4DAAD

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2008, 03:39 PM
The guy has 6 posts...I wouldn't take him too seriously. Besides William & Mary is college football garbage.

Doesn't W&M have a better playoff chance than GSU?

PantherRob82
November 16th, 2008, 03:41 PM
Looked like there was no one in the stands from the highlights I saw. xsmhx