PDA

View Full Version : Clock Ticking on TxSo Stadium Deal or Is It?

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Not sure how interested a partner Texas Southern would be if the Dynamo had to take their team out to the suburbs because of a lack of a deal with the city of Houston. If the deal is not done by the end of the year, this could come into play...

One would think that the Dynamo would get a better deal from a suburb and would not need the political stroke of TSU out there either. Throw in the fact that the location of suburb may be a bit too far out for TSU's taste and they may be out of a deal.

Luck said he has no knowledge of what the backup plan may be but speculated it may involve AEG moving the team to the suburbs, where land is cheaper and local governments are more willing to invest on an attraction.

Last spring, AEG boss Tim Leiweke said the team could strike a deal in the suburbs “yesterday.”

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6097170.html

slycat
November 5th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I hope the Dynamo don;t have to settle for the 'burbs. It has hurt teams like FC Dallas, Colorado, and others. The teams that fare the best have kept the stadiums near downtown.

Dane96
November 5th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Huh? The rapids average 4000 below capacity. They are getting 14,000. That's the MLS average, which, btw, at 16k last year was higher than the NHL and the 11th ranked average league in the soccer world.

Colorado, last season, had the 5th best attendence in the league.

slycat
November 5th, 2008, 08:10 PM
My bad. I though the Rapids were struggling more with their attendance. Dallas did good last year but struggled with fans this year. I feel if FC Dallas wasn't in Frisco they would draw better. Its why many stadiums are in Arlington.

TexasTerror
November 5th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I hope the Dynamo don;t have to settle for the 'burbs. It has hurt teams like FC Dallas, Colorado, and others. The teams that fare the best have kept the stadiums near downtown.

I agree. Traffic would be horrendous trying to get to certain suburbs during the middle of the week (i.e Sugar Land, which has been mentioned before as a possible site). Also, keep in mind the team's training facility is going to be in Pearland.

I'm more interested for the purposes of this board, in if TSU would still be part of the deal if they had go to the suburbs. My thought is they would not.

slycat
November 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM
I agree. Traffic would be horrendous trying to get to certain suburbs during the middle of the week (i.e Sugar Land, which has been mentioned before as a possible site). Also, keep in mind the team's training facility is going to be in Pearland.

I'm more interested for the purposes of this board, in if TSU would still be part of the deal if they had go to the suburbs. My thought is they would not.

If anything put the stadium near Pearland. Reliant works on the south loop. There is plenty of open land south near south beltway 8.

The land they have now near Minute Maid is a real nice location though.

TexasTerror
November 6th, 2008, 08:32 AM
Here is the Fallas blog on said subject...he is the soccer beat writer for the Chronicle...

To hear Dynamo president and GM Oliver Luck say it, it is now or perhaps never for the Harris County and the city of Houston to get on board with a downtown soccer stadium.

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2008/11/luck_city_count.html

blur2005
November 6th, 2008, 10:07 AM
If anything put the stadium near Pearland. Reliant works on the south loop. There is plenty of open land south near south beltway 8.

The land they have now near Minute Maid is a real nice location though.
I really hope the Dynamo can get a stadium downtown - it's clearly the most attractive option.

TexasTerror
November 12th, 2008, 05:28 PM
A bit of a boost according to the Dynamo beat writer...

The Houston East End Chamber of Commerce strongly supports the County's Participation in TIRZ 15 to support the development of the multi-purpose stadium to host Houston Dynamo games along with college and high school football, boxing concerts and community festivals. The Chamber is actively engaged in economic development activities and the proposed stadium has been the impetus to attract new business, entertainment and residential growth to the East End and the surrounding areas.

http://blogs.chron.com/soccer/archives/2008/11/dynamo_get_a_bo.html

TSUalum05
December 24th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Harris County Commissioners El Franco Lee and Sylvia Garcia have tentatively agreed to contribute $10 million in public money to the Dynamo stadium project, provided the team and the city agree to certain conditions, city and county officials said Tuesday.

The proposal the commissioners sent the city late Monday states the money would have to be used to build the public amenities and infrastructure serving the stadium, rather than the physical structure itself, Garcia said. That might include the water and sewer lines for the stadium, or the parking lots and tree-lined plazas surrounding it.

Other conditions include guaranteeing that Texas Southern University will be allowed to play home games at the stadium and agreeing that 15 percent of the seats will never be sold for more than than the average price of a movie ticket.

"We want to make sure that that's included in the agreement so we won't see a situation where the stadium is built and they focus on suites or club suites and their prices double or triple in the first few years," Garcia said.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6180023.html

3rd Coast Tiger
December 24th, 2008, 08:39 AM
Let's roll! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
December 24th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Another step in the right direction!

The Houston Dynamo are the MOST successful franchise in the city of Houston and quite frankly, the best family friendly major sports franchise in wake of escalating costs elsewhere.

The team needs to get this stadium deal taken care of. Considering we just lost the Comets, the city can not afford to lose another major professional franchise.

Having this stadium deal in place will only further aid the Dynamo and of course, Texas Southern. We could probably get the MLS Cup in Houston, some more international soccer matches of note and some have even suggested the Division I national championship football game (though, not sure who would be the host -- whether the Harris County-Houston Sports Authority or some other group/school).

Of course, getting Luis Angel Landin would be a nice coup for the Dynamo as well. ;)

3rd Coast Tiger
December 24th, 2008, 10:15 AM
More on Sylvia Garcia...

Commisioner Garcia is a native of the South Texas farming community of Palito Blanco. She attended Texas Woman’s University on a scholarship, graduating with a degree in social work, and received her Doctor of Jurisprudence degree from Thurgood Marshall School of Law at Texas Southern University.

More on El Franco Lee...

Commissioner El Franco Lee, is a native Houstonian, reared in Houston’s Kashmere Gardens Addition and a graduate of Phillis Wheatley Senior High School. Commissioner Lee continued his education at Texas Southern University (TSU), where he received a Bachelor of Science degree from the School of Technology; completed related course work and postgraduate studies at the TSU School of Public Affairs.

Get it done alumni!

DFW HOYA
December 24th, 2008, 11:16 AM
My bad. I though the Rapids were struggling more with their attendance. Dallas did good last year but struggled with fans this year. I feel if FC Dallas wasn't in Frisco they would draw better. Its why many stadiums are in Arlington.

Arlington wouldn't draw either. The Burn...um, FC Dallas should be at the Cotton Bowl or Ford Stadium.

slycat
December 28th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Arlington wouldn't draw either. The Burn...um, FC Dallas should be at the Cotton Bowl or Ford Stadium.

The Burn used to play at the Cotton Bowl. MLS wants teams to have soccer specific stadiums though.

TSUalum05
January 15th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Harris County and the city of Houston are inching closer to a deal on the Dynamo stadium project this week, as officials from the city and the soccer team say they have no serious problems with the conditions the county has set for its participation.

Houston Mayor Bill White asked the county in July to contribute $10 million to the project by joining the city’s East Downtown Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone, which includes the stadium’s proposed site.

Harris County Commissioners El Franco Lee and Sylvia Garcia tentatively agreed late last month to join the project as long as the city agreed to conditions including restricting the use of county money to building the public amenities and infrastructure serving the stadium, rather than the physical structure itself. That could include water and sewer lines for the stadium, or the parking lots and tree-lined plazas surrounding it.

Other conditions include guarantees that Texas Southern University will be allowed to play home games at the stadium and that 15 percent of the seats never will be sold for more than the average price of a movie ticket. The county also wants Dynamo to be held responsible for all facility upkeep and proposes the team fund such repairs through a monthly fee in addition to the lease.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/metro/6212049.html

TexasTerror
January 15th, 2009, 08:29 PM
They need to stop inching closer and just finish the deal!

The Houston Dynamo is too important to the city of Houston, which already lost our WNBA franchise. As long as TSU does not "muck" up the field with football and they remove the lines for the futbol games, the Tigers are fine and provide the perfect political ploy -- which has worked.

Mayor Bill -- seal the deal! It'll help with your run for the Gov!

3rd Coast Tiger
January 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
They need to stop inching closer and just finish the deal!

The Houston Dynamo is too important to the city of Houston, which already lost our WNBA franchise. As long as TSU does not "muck" up the field with football and they remove the lines for the futbol games, the Tigers are fine and provide the perfect political ploy -- which has worked.

Mayor Bill -- seal the deal! It'll help with your run for the Gov!

1) Honestly, who in the hell thinks the Dynamos are too important to the city of Houston (besides the Dyanmos fans)? Is it 95% of Houston? What about 50%.... 25%....10%?

2) Texas Southern will not be in charge of laying/removing the football chalk lines. When those professional soccer games are played at Reliant Stadium, do you actually think Reliant allows them to lay the lines themselves? Hell, do you think the Houston Texans lay the lines down Sunday morning before their games? Reliant Stadium has a professional groundskeepers for that.

3) It'll help him run for the Gov? Dude, he is running for a U.S. Senate (Kay Bailey Hutchison's) seat.

4) How many Dynamo soccer games have you attended since they relocated from San Jose? Are you a season ticket holder?

Come on dude and worry about the Privateers and whatever Doc JG, BW and TW are doing in Huntsville.

TexasTerror
January 16th, 2009, 06:58 AM
1) Honestly, who in the hell thinks the Dynamos are too important to the city of Houston (besides the Dyanmos fans)? Is it 95% of Houston? What about 50%.... 25%....10%?

I see to recall the Dynamo drawing 25-30k on the same day as a Texans game. There apparently is some sort of like for them. Having the Dynamo here has also been good for bringing more and more international soccer here.

2) Texas Southern will not be in charge of laying/removing the football chalk lines. When those professional soccer games are played at Reliant Stadium, do you actually think Reliant allows them to lay the lines themselves? Hell, do you think the Houston Texans lay the lines down Sunday morning before their games? Reliant Stadium has a professional groundskeepers for that.

As long as the lines are removed prior to Dynamo games after a Texas Southern game. This is a soccer stadium-first!

3) It'll help him run for the Gov? Dude, he is running for a U.S. Senate (Kay Bailey Hutchison's) seat.

That's right -- forgot about that. I've been too excited about Tom Craddick getting unseated! xthumbsupx

[QUOTE=3rd Coast Tiger;1282886]4) How many Dynamo soccer games have you attended since they relocated from San Jose? Are you a season ticket holder?

None, but I watch them whenever I can (channelsurfing is wonderful as are late games on FSC when the wife is asleep) and probably spend more time on their fan board than I do TSPN. :D

TexasTerror
February 12th, 2009, 08:06 PM
Texas Southern and the Houston Dynamo have come to an agreement...

HOUSTON - Texas Southern University has reached an agreement with the Houston Dynamo to be tenants in the proposed downtown stadium that would become home to the Major League Soccer franchise.

"We have an agreement-in-principle with the Dynamo," said Charles McClelland, TSU's athletics director in an interview with FOX 26 Sports. "We still have some minor issues to work out, but we're very, very excited about the opportunity to join the Dynamo in this new downtown stadium.

"It's the single most influential factor to move our program forward. This stadium will not only boost enrollment for the university, it will allow us to have a competitive program with top-notch facilities.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/090210_tsu_dynamo_stadium

TSUalum05
February 13th, 2009, 09:59 PM
Looking go to me. Only if you knew what I know. Just wait.

TexasTerror
March 24th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Financing nearly done...they really got to get construction going on this thing. There were plenty of complaints re: Robertson Stadium after the Dynamo opener vs Columbus.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6337950.html

McTailGator
March 24th, 2009, 10:04 PM
http://media2.myfoxhouston.com//photo/2009/03/24/dynamo_stadium1_tmb0002_20090324163957739

Stadium just recieved a $60 Million financing agreement from Compass Bank.

City and County will put up the other 20 Mill for the $80 million dollar project, to be located accross the street from Minutemaid Park in Downtown Houston.

PERFECT location for the National Championship Game!

slycat
March 24th, 2009, 10:17 PM
That'll be about 5 miles from where I work. Too bad games are mostly on weekend because I would go all the time then.

Lamar Cardinals 2010
March 25th, 2009, 02:17 AM
I know this is a little off topic but I see a bunch of SLC people here that can answer this.

So when Texas St. leaves for the FBS in 2011 who will we get to replace them? Tarleton St., C.Oklahoma, Arkansas Tech. They have to leave right?

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 07:40 AM
So when Texas St. leaves for the FBS in 2011 who will we get to replace them? Tarleton St., C.Oklahoma, Arkansas Tech. They have to leave right?

They can not move in 2011. So, it's a non-issue. If they had intended to move in 2011, they would need to file papers in the next few months regarding their leaving the conference.

Considering they do not have a conference lined up at this point, why would they put themselves in a situation where they would be independents? That's really set back their programs.

Of Div II programs - Tarleton State and Delta State are my favorite two institutions. Keep in mind, the moratorium is in place as it relates to ALL moves presently.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 08:59 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6339016.html

Story just talks about funding need for new downtown Houston MLS stadium.

If it happens, could be the perfect location for the FCS championship game?

Definitely going to be much warming in Jan/Feb in Houston than up in the mts. of Tenn.

biggie
March 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Not east coast = won't happen.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 25th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Texas Terror in 3.....2......1.......

jaxstatealum
March 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM

Agreed...

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Give me three reasons that aren't weather related.

I'll give you three negatives:

1. They already have a I-A bowl in Houston so our deal won't be a big deal for them.

2. They have NFL, MLB, NBA, MSL, I-A football... so our deal won't be a big deal for them.

3. It is hundreds of miles further away for 70% of I-AA fans.

KiddBrewer
March 25th, 2009, 10:25 AM
nope

GannonFan
March 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM

Tennessee is now considered "east coast"? I must have missed the beaches while I was down there. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Obviously App fans aren't allowed to comment on this as Chatty is a home game for them.

How about the rest of us that would have to fly to the game anyway? Would you rather fly to Houston and have 60s-70s weather or fly to Atlanta and drive to Chatty with 20s-30s weather?

No brainer for me.

GannonFan
March 25th, 2009, 10:51 AM
If Houston wants the game and would bid on it accordingly, I'd have no problem with that move. Nothing magical about Chatty that keeps it there, other than the fact that no one else, so far, has expressed an interest (with $$$) to have the game.

turfdoc
March 25th, 2009, 11:00 AM
As long as the lines are removed prior to Dynamo games after a Texas Southern game. This is a soccer stadium-first!

One thing that I must point out is that this is practically impossible if there is not 3 weeks between games.

Any paint that comes off easy enough to not damage the grass (during the removal process) also comes off during a heavy rainfall. Bottom line, both sets of lines will be present and seen on the field, one will be faded but both will be visible for most games. Chalk is pretty much reserved for baseball infields, we now use paint.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM
On the bright side, the lines will only appear late in the MLS season when Texas Southern is taking the field. At UH, the lines appear throughout the whole season, because the Cougars have spring ball and camps, etc at Robertson.

Still will be nice to see that soccer will have precedence on the field and will be able to dictate many of the things associated with the stadium.

turfdoc
March 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
If Houston wants the game and would bid on it accordingly, I'd have no problem with that move. Nothing magical about Chatty that keeps it there, other than the fact that no one else, so far, has expressed an interest (with $$$) to have the game.

I think there have been bids from other areas, with $$$$ involved. Unfortunately, issues such as travel of fans, and weather issues have been brought up. I believe they look at the bid as a whole. That being said the $$$$ were just not high enough in those other places to make up for the other potential problems. If the price was right they would overcome those issues.

Personally if it was in Houston I would go every year, I have family in Houston. They would probably come too.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 11:09 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6339016.html

Story just talks about funding need for new downtown Houston MLS stadium.

Definitely going to be much warming in Jan/Feb in Houston than up in the mts. of Tenn.

This has been brought up several times on this thread...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51850

Since 3rd Coast Tiger would like me to remind people...

The NCAA will not let Texas Southern administer another NCAA championship, according to sources in the media (this actually came from TSU's beat writer at the time, a long standing member of the media in the Houston area), after an apparent fiasco during the NCAA Bowling Championship several years ago at the George R Brown Convention Center.

Figure the Houston/Harris Co. Sports Authority would run the show and get staff from area schools to lend a hand.

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Obviously App fans aren't allowed to comment on this as Chatty is a home game for them.

How about the rest of us that would have to fly to the game anyway? Would you rather fly to Houston and have 60s-70s weather or fly to Atlanta and drive to Chatty with 20s-30s weather?

No brainer for me.
Since moving to Chatty...
1997 - YSU vs McNeese
1998 - UMass vs GSU
1999 - GSU vs YSU
2000 - GSU vs Montana
2001 - Montana vs Furman
2002 - WKU vs McNeese
2003 - Delaware vs Colgate
2004 - JMU vs Montana
2005 - AppSt vs UNI
2006 - AppSt vs UMass
2007 - AppSt vs Delaware
2008 - Richmond vs Montana

Chances are good that if you have it in the East, you will have a team that will be driving to Chatty. Put in in Houston and everyone but McNeese is flying.

biggie
March 25th, 2009, 11:43 AM
Tennessee is now considered "east coast"? I must have missed the beaches while I was down there. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx
TN is very much east coast, much closer than TX and when talking about "East Coast" FCS teams, I'm pretty sure they aren't actually on the coast, I know I was drunk most of the time, but never saw the ocean in Boone.

Since when are football fans complaining about 30 degree weather for a game? This isn't the HI probowl, I don't want to sweat during a NC game.

nmatsen
March 25th, 2009, 11:54 AM
http://unlvrebels.cstv.com/facilities/unlv-m-footbl-boyd.html

Why not here?

Its perfect.

Weather
Montana fans will fill it
Easily accessible by air from anywhere in the country
37,000 seats just right, maybe a little big
ITS FREAKING VEGAS!!!

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Why not here?

Its perfect.

Weather
Montana fans will fill it
Easily accessible by air from anywhere in the country
37,000 seats just right, maybe a little big
ITS FREAKING VEGAS!!!
We've had this discussion 1000 x here, but the one thing I will comment on... it always cracks me up when people say it's so cheap to fly to Vegas. I hear "They practically pay you to fly there." all the time. Just checked tix for the weekend following next, which is more time than if your team just won a semifinal game...

DCA to Vegas: Nonstop = $535 total, 1 stop from $443 total.

xcoffeex

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Since moving to Chatty...
1997 - YSU vs McNeese
1998 - UMass vs GSU
1999 - GSU vs YSU
2000 - GSU vs Montana
2001 - Montana vs Furman
2002 - WKU vs McNeese
2003 - Delaware vs Colgate
2004 - JMU vs Montana
2005 - AppSt vs UNI
2006 - AppSt vs UMass
2007 - AppSt vs Delaware
2008 - Richmond vs Montana

Chances are good that if you have it in the East, you will have a team that will be driving to Chatty. Put in in Houston and everyone but McNeese is flying.

Of the teams you bolded, only GSU and App are reasonable drives to Chatty.

Most non-crazy fans will not drive >6 hours one-way to a game that is on national TV.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 12:54 PM
We've had this discussion 1000 x here, but the one thing I will comment on... it always cracks me up when people say it's so cheap to fly to Vegas. I hear "They practically pay you to fly there." all the time. Just checked tix for the weekend following next, which is more time than if your team just won a semifinal game...

DCA to Vegas: Nonstop = $535 total, 1 stop from $443 total.

xcoffeex

Have the NCAA make 2 sets of generic travel arrangements a year in advance (hotel, charter plane, busses, catering) and then sell those arrangements to the 2 teams that are in the championship.

Too easy, you'll have to do better than that.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 12:55 PM
I will agree on one thing: the NCAA is more than happy to let the FCS championship game fester away in Chatty so long as no other stadium bids on the game.

We'll see what happens when Chatty pulls their bid...

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM

Most non-crazy fans will not drive >6 hours one-way to a game that is on national TV.
xconfusedx You're kidding, right? TONS of people drove from JMU, Richmond, Delaware, etc....

89Hen
March 25th, 2009, 03:20 PM
Have the NCAA make 2 sets of generic travel arrangements a year in advance (hotel, charter plane, busses, catering) and then sell those arrangements to the 2 teams that are in the championship.
Again, you're kidding, right? xnutsx xrolleyesx

Retro
March 25th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Depends on the team and support.. Mcneese is roughly 12 hr drive to chatty, but we still brought more people in 1997 than youngstown (slightly closer) and a lot more than WKU (much closer)..

3rd Coast Tiger
March 25th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by TexasTerror

That's right! You have Oliver Luck on speed dial. xrolleyesx

You have as much say so in this than the homeless dude living across the street from the stadium. NONE AT ALL!!!!

You are not a...

State of Texas resident (i.e. taxpayer)
Dynamos season ticket holder (hell, not even a ticket holder).

3rd Coast Tiger
March 25th, 2009, 04:16 PM

The NCAA will not let Texas Southern administer another NCAA championship, according to sources in the media (this actually came from TSU's beat writer at the time, a long standing member of the media in the Houston area), after an apparent fiasco during the NCAA Bowling Championship several years ago at the George R Brown Convention Center.

Figure the Houston/Harris Co. Sports Authority would run the show and get staff from area schools to lend a hand.

Dude, show me in "black & white" where this is written (with supporting weblink) and I'll FedEx $500 today so if not quit spreading halitosis.

slycat
March 25th, 2009, 05:20 PM
They can not move in 2011. So, it's a non-issue. If they had intended to move in 2011, they would need to file papers in the next few months regarding their leaving the conference.

Considering they do not have a conference lined up at this point, why would they put themselves in a situation where they would be independents? That's really set back their programs.

Of Div II programs - Tarleton State and Delta State are my favorite two institutions. Keep in mind, the moratorium is in place as it relates to ALL moves presently.

Teams can't file to move up until after the moratorium is lifted.

Conference discussion are/have been made with CUSA, WAC, and Sun Belt. No word either way has come of it. My guess is there will be some major shifts in 2011/2012, creating new spots or conferences.

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Dude, show me in "black & white" where this is written (with supporting weblink) and I'll FedEx $500 today so if not quit spreading halitosis.

As is the case with many things in the NCAA when it relates to the bid and awarding process, some things are just known and not further discussed.

"Stick" told me this not too long after the event. Remember him and his big ole hat?

What he told me is not too far off what others in the SWAC have told me about the "hands off" approach.

Conference discussion are/have been made with CUSA, WAC, and Sun Belt. No word either way has come of it. My guess is there will be some major shifts in 2011/2012, creating new spots or conferences.

Based on conversations I've had - the TXST and Florida A&M discussions that were rumored with the SBC - have not ever happened. I could be wrong, but I figure my source(s) were pretty legitimate.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 07:23 PM
xconfusedx You're kidding, right? TONS of people drove from JMU, Richmond, Delaware, etc....

What, maybe 4000 people drove? The rest flew.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Again, you're kidding, right? xnutsx xrolleyesx

LOL, I figured I would catch you without a counter-argument here.

Yes I know, it's a solid plan.

MplsBison
March 25th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Depends on the team and support.. Mcneese is roughly 12 hr drive to chatty, but we still brought more people in 1997 than youngstown (slightly closer) and a lot more than WKU (much closer)..

I'm glad that a lot of McNeese fans were willing to fly to Chatty for the game.

McTailGator
March 26th, 2009, 03:26 PM

Too easy, you'll have to do better than that.

Continental Airlines and SW Airlines are hubbed in Houston.

They could sponsor and send charter planes in return for TV commercial time.

McTailGator
March 26th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I know this is a little off topic but I see a bunch of SLC people here that can answer this.

Don't need a replacement.

I'd rather have an even number of teams.

McTailGator
March 26th, 2009, 03:30 PM

The Greater Houston Sports Authority has MEGA BUCKS...

IF they want it, there ain't $3it ANYONE can do about it because the NCAA will follow the money.

Retro
March 26th, 2009, 03:32 PM

Actually, Most drove.. Probably 80%.. Mcneese fans are used to driving to road games under a day's drive away... Most of the people who flew where likely those who came from New Orleans or Houston or other further places..

McTailGator
March 26th, 2009, 03:34 PM

And all that needs to happen is ANY Southland team have ONE home game there and it would qualify.

That's how UTSA gets to host the NCAA tourney. They host ONE game in the Alamo dome.

McTailGator
March 26th, 2009, 03:44 PM

I'd bet less than 1,000 McNeese fans flew.

It's a 12 hour drive, but it is a nice drive and easy.

MplsBison
March 26th, 2009, 04:13 PM
Continental Airlines and SW Airlines are hubbed in Houston.

They could sponsor and send charter planes in return for TV commercial time.

There you go.

But don't tell 89...he wants to pigeonhole the game into Chatty forever.

MplsBison
March 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM
I'd bet less than 1,000 McNeese fans flew.

It's a 12 hour drive, but it is a nice drive and easy.

Ain't no such thing as an easy drive >6 hrs.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 26th, 2009, 04:35 PM

While it's still on my mind.

Texas Southern HOSTED portions of the 2009 NCAA Division II Winter National Championships Festival along with the University of Houston March 13th & 14th. xthumbsupx

89Hen
March 26th, 2009, 04:53 PM
There you go.

But don't tell 89...he wants to pigeonhole the game into Chatty forever.
Great. Let me call Southwest and tell them you OK'd for them to give me last minute discount rates to Houston. Awesome. xthumbsupx

Depart Apr 03 Fri Nonstop BWI-HOU 24 Depart Baltimore (BWI) at 8:55 AM
Arrive in Houston (HOU) at 11:30 AM

Return Apr 05 Sun Nonstop HOU-BWI 2273 Depart Houston (HOU) at 7:25 AM
Arrive in Baltimore (BWI) at 11:20 AM

Total $791.70

Double xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

MplsBison
March 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Great. Let me call Southwest and tell them you OK'd for them to give me last minute discount rates to Houston. Awesome. xthumbsupx

Total $791.70

Figures you'd try to fly from Baltimore and next weekend just to jack up the price. You're that bitter.

Yahoo travel has Washington to Houston, flex schedule round trip for $185.

89Hen
March 26th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Figures you'd try to fly from Baltimore and next weekend just to jack up the price. You're that bitter.

Yahoo travel has Washington to Houston, flex schedule round trip for $185.
Yeah, figures I'd pick SOUTHWEST AIRLINES THAT FLYS OUT OF BALTIMORE BECAUSE YOU SAID SOUTHWEST. xbangx You're not worth the blood pressure.

TexasTerror
March 26th, 2009, 05:06 PM
Texas Southern HOSTED portions of the 2009 NCAA Division II Winter National Championships Festival along with the University of Houston March 13th & 14th. xthumbsupx

Yep - "along" with the University of Houston.

Did you guys just provide facilities? With your school's "hands off" policy, I'd be surprised if you did anymore than that.

MplsBison
March 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Yeah, figures I'd pick SOUTHWEST AIRLINES THAT FLYS OUT OF BALTIMORE BECAUSE YOU SAID SOUTHWEST. xbangx You're not worth the blood pressure.

For team charters.

That has nothing to do with commercial ticket prices for fans.

3rd Coast Tiger
March 27th, 2009, 12:18 AM
Yep - "along" with the University of Houston.

Did you guys just provide facilities? With your school's "hands off" policy, I'd be surprised if you did anymore than that.

Well.... stay suprised guy. Just can't admit you're wrong huh dude? xlolx

Our head track coach, Sports Information Director and Assistant SID all played a key role in the segment that was handled on our campus of CO-HOSTING the events with the media and athletes.

Oh well, you'll make a statement next week but I'll be here to correct you again. xcoffeex

McTailGator
March 27th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Total $791.70

the airlines typically hold lots of seats at discounted rates for bowl schools when they are "The official Airline".

NCAA could require them to hold a couple of 737's to use as charter planes for what ever schools when.

PLUS, begining in 2010, the NC game will be 2 or 3 weeks AFTER the Semi's.

TexasTerror
May 3rd, 2009, 07:53 AM
Latest on stadium...

http://www.chron.com/photos/2009/05/02/16485718/260xStory.jpg

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6405166.html

slycat
June 24th, 2009, 05:15 PM
The stadium is all but finalized. Looks to start construction in the fall.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2009/06/22/story4.html

TexasTerror
June 24th, 2009, 06:33 PM
The stadium is all but finalized. Looks to start construction in the fall.

Glad to see the Dynamo are closer and closer to moving into their SSS...

Hopefully the MLS awards the MLS All-Star game to the site and that it possibly is in line to host some other major domestic and international competition...

Figure Reliant Stadium without question will be chosen as a site for the US World Cup and if lucky - matches in the elimination round at that. One of the best soccer cities in America and only improving in that regard...

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2009, 09:59 AM
This is going to be a sweet setup. Although I may miss those cheesesteaks across the street before games.

I'm still impressed out how a school like TSU that can't draw flies can use its political allies to force their presence in this deal. Very shrewd. I'd love to see this type of effort poured into the school's daily operations.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 26th, 2009, 10:02 AM
This is going to be a sweet setup. Although I may miss those cheesesteaks across the street before games.

I'm still impressed out how a school like TSU that can't draw flies can use its political allies to force their presence in this deal. Very shrewd. I'd love to see this type of effort poured into the school's daily operations.

If you only knew. What year's did you attend Liberty?

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2009, 01:07 PM
At Liberty from '85-'89.

And from my days as a journalist, I knew more than I cared to about TSU's administrative woes. Hopefully things are slowly turning the right direction.

3rd Coast Tiger
June 26th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I had a high school buddy (Dion Cook) accept a football scholarship to Liberty to play cornerback; he should have played from '91/'92 - '94/'95.

I've forgotten more than you'll ever know about our administration (as well as University of Houston's, Texas A&M and University of Texas).

Not that I'm not acknowledging the wrongs but what happened at Texas Southern is just a rounded error compared to the Lone Star State big boys.

Sly Fox
June 26th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Since we both have no idea how much institutional knowledge either of us possesses we'll leave it at that. I am certain you probably have a much greater grasp on TSU than I ever would care to know.