PDA

View Full Version : YOUR ALL-AMERICA CANDIDATES

smallcollegefbfan
November 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Who from your school would you say should be considered for All-America honors? I will start the thread with 4 on each side of the ball to consider.

Offense

QB Cameron Higgins, Weber State
QB Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State
WR Ramses Barden, Cal Poly
QB Rodney Landers, JMU

Defense

DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DE Greg Peach, EWU
LB Jason Williams, WIU
DE Greg Miller, Villanova

These are not my top 4 but a list of major names that I knew would be among the first listed. Who else should be considered?

Thumper250
November 5th, 2008, 03:16 PM
From G-W,

OFFENSE
Dobson Collins, WR

DEFENSE
Jeffrey Williams, OLB

danefan
November 5th, 2008, 03:18 PM
David McCarty, RB

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2008, 03:18 PM
From UNH:

TE Scott Sicko
DT Steve Young (He's Double-Teamed ALL THE TIME)
P Tom Bishop

smallcollegefbfan
November 5th, 2008, 03:22 PM
From UNH:

TE Scott Sicko
DT Steve Young (He's Double-Teamed ALL THE TIME)
P Tom Bishop

When did young come back to college and change positions? xthumbsupx

Native
November 5th, 2008, 03:24 PM
K/P Robbie DeHaze, Northern Arizona
DE Kevin Linehan, Weber State

SunCoastBlueHen
November 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I understand that our equipment manager is having a really good year.

danefan
November 5th, 2008, 03:30 PM
I understand that our equipment manager is having a really good year.

Really stepped up the spike changing times and has perfected installation of the 6-point chinstrap on the Revolution helmets.

Man what a year for him.

leatherneck177
November 5th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Herb Donaldson
HB, WIU

Mountain Panther
November 5th, 2008, 04:18 PM
James Ruffin, DE, UNI.

UNIFanSince1983
November 5th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Darrell Lloyd, SS, UNI

Hoyadestroya85
November 5th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Joe Marcoux K Villanova

ElonPride
November 5th, 2008, 04:44 PM
Terrell Hudgins - WR - 3rd in the nation in receptions per game, 7th in receiving yards per game

Andrew Wilcox - K, leads nation in FGs made

Grizalltheway
November 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Marc Mariani definitely has to be considered for 1st team at WR.

montanafan
November 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Marc Mariani definitely has to be considered for 1st team at WR.

Hey Grizalltheway, are you stalking the Lady Griz soccer team again (see avatar)? Just kidding, I agree on Marc as well as Cole Berquist(#2 in the nation in QB rating).

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Richmond:

Justin Rogers - CB

stevdock
November 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Ramon Humber is the only candidate we have this year. OLB.

Silenoz
November 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Cole Bergquist QB
Marc Mariani WR

Perhaps Colt Anderson as well

UNCBears2010
November 5th, 2008, 05:28 PM
UNC LB Christian Sarmento

ericsaid
November 5th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Mark Legree-FS
Jaque Roman-LB

Cat79
November 5th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Texas State WR Cameron Luke

813Jag
November 5th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Juamorris Stewart WR and Bryant Lee QB - Southern

ASU88
November 5th, 2008, 05:39 PM
App St safety Mark Legree.

(as ericsaid)

gbhmt
November 5th, 2008, 05:57 PM
Marc Mariani. Bergquist may have some good numbers but I can't put him ahead of Higgins, Edwards, and Landers.

colorless raider
November 5th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Jordan Scott RB
Steve Jonas OL
Nick Hennessey OL

crusader11
November 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Quarterback Dom Randolph
Wide Receiver Jon Brock

BULLDOG8180
November 5th, 2008, 07:48 PM
This has been a disappointing season for the Bulldogs, but Andre Roberts is having an outstanding season, worthy of AA honors.

These are where Andre ranks in the SoCon:
1st in receiving yards
2nd in receptions
1st in receiving TDs
1st in points scored
1st in Punt returns, 2 TDs, 18.7 yd avg.
1st in all purpose yds

Reign of Terrier
November 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
This has been a disappointing season for the Bulldogs, but Andre Roberts is having an outstanding season, worthy of AA honors.

1st in receiving yards
2nd in receptions
1st in receiving TDs
1st in points scored
1st in all purpose yds

seen him playxthumbsupx , second that notionxthumbsupx , hope he doesn't play well this weekxnonono2x .

smallcollegefbfan
November 5th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Mark Legree-FS
Jaque Roman-LB

I could see Cortez Gilbert as well.

smallcollegefbfan
November 5th, 2008, 07:56 PM

1st in receiving yards
2nd in receptions
1st in receiving TDs
1st in points scored
1st in all purpose yds

If he is not an All-American it would be a shape. He should earn it at WR and RS for sure.

SuperJon
November 5th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Rashad Jennings - RB - Liberty

Tribe4SF
November 5th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Who from your school would you say should be considered for All-America honors? I will start the thread with 4 on each side of the ball to consider.

Offense

QB Rodney Landers, JMU

Defense

DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DE Greg Peach, EWU
LB Jason Williams, WIU

These are not my top 4 but a list of major names that I knew would be among the first listed. Who else should be considered?

Not sure how you can list two DEs from the CAA and not include Adrian Tracy of W&M. Leads the CAA with 8.5 sacks, and 14 tackles for loss through 8 games.

mtgrizfan4life
November 5th, 2008, 08:24 PM
OFFENSE: WR- Mariani, QB-Bergquist, OL-Quinn, Dow, Russum

DEFENSE: S- Anderson

ST: P-Woods

Jerbearasu
November 5th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I could see Cortez Gilbert as well.

Cortez is all-american caliber but he won't have the stats. Nobody is throwing his way both because he is that good and the guy on the other side of the field is a true freshman so everyone is testing him out.

Walkon79
November 5th, 2008, 09:10 PM
TE Brandon Bostick
LB Bobby Daly
DE Dane Fletcher

ericsaid
November 6th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Cortez is all-american caliber but he won't have the stats. Nobody is throwing his way both because he is that good and the guy on the other side of the field is a true freshman so everyone is testing him out.

The guy on the other side of the field may be able to have an All-American season next year.

Move Duffie to safety in place of Leonard Love and leave Gainey at Cornerback.xthumbsupx

letsgopards04
November 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM
LB Andy Romans

magman919
November 6th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Name: Pierre Banks
Position: All over the field
Team: The Neers
Reason: 42 career starts. Player who is versatile enough to have played all linebacker positions. Plays the Bandit position these days. "Ever heard of Bob Sanders?" Numbers are around the same as they were at this point last year. Garnered first team TSN all-america honors for 07-08 season. Team captain, heart and soul of the ASU defense.

AppAlum2003
November 6th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Name: Pierre Banks
Position: All over the field
Team: The Neers
Reason: 42 career starts. Player who is versatile enough to have played all linebacker positions. Plays the Bandit position these days. "Ever heard of Bob Sanders?" Numbers are around the same as they were at this point last year. Garnered first team TSN all-america honors for 07-08 season. Team captain, heart and soul of the ASU defense.

And he's getting ready to earn his Master's Degree in May!

magman919
November 6th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Oh yeah. I almost forgot young Mr. Banks is the smartest football player to ever live!!!!:D

3.91 GPA in Graduate School. Semifinalist for the Draddy Award. I believe thats the academic equilavent of the Heisman.

eaglewithabus
November 6th, 2008, 07:18 AM
offense and special teams: Raja Andrews
Defense: Dakota Walker

Longhorn
November 6th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Scotty McGee PR and KR

I think ASU, UR and UD fans would second, third and forth that nomination. ;)

MaroonDoom
November 6th, 2008, 08:29 AM
EKU= Kicker Taylor Long

LCFan21
November 6th, 2008, 08:31 AM
ANDY ROMANS SR. LB LAFAYETTE

CSN National All-Star - 3X POW in PL - In the 26 games he has started and completed Andy has 18 games with 10++ tacklesxeekx - He Has ranked 1 or 2 in the league in tackles for his career - his best game stats have always come against the stonger teams on the schedule. Andy has been doing this consistently for three years now.

McNeese72
November 6th, 2008, 09:04 AM
If we are talking all-american, the only one I'd put up from McNeese would be Wr/pr Steven Whitehead.

We have several very good OL linemen (one reason Todd Pendland will get 1000+ yard this season), but I haven't a clue how to judge whether they are all-american quality or not.

Doc

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Not sure how you can list two DEs from the CAA and not include Adrian Tracy of W&M. Leads the CAA with 8.5 sacks, and 14 tackles for loss through 8 games.

I listed players on the Buchanan list. Tracy has to be on the AA list as well. I would not be surprised if he was added to the Buchanan list in the next few weeks.

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Oh yeah. I almost forgot young Mr. Banks is the smartest football player to ever live!!!!:D

3.91 GPA in Graduate School. Semifinalist for the Draddy Award. I believe thats the academic equilavent of the Heisman.

If intelligence factored in All-America honors then half of the guys on these lists could not be eligible. It is a testament to his ability to be a good player and that smart. Don't really see Banks earning 1st or 2nd team AA honors this year though. He has had down numbers compared to past years. Banks was the preseason SoCon DEF POY but I could see Mark LeGree of App or Williams at Furman or even Roman at App getting that honor this year.

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Scotty McGee PR and KR

Richmond would as well. xthumbsupx

If McGee is not the 1st team All-America RS then something is wrong.

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM
If we are talking all-american, the only one I'd put up from McNeese would be Wr/pr Steven Whitehead.

We have several very good OL linemen (one reason Todd Pendland will get 1000+ yard this season), but I haven't a clue how to judge whether they are all-american quality or not.

Doc

I think Eman Naghavi will be one for sure. He seems to be your best.

813Jag
November 6th, 2008, 09:49 AM
I think Eman Naghavi will be one for sure. He seems to be your best.
what is your opinion of Juamorris Stewart (Southern WR)? any SWAC names stand out to youn

UCABEARS75
November 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
At UCA I would think the following would receive strong consideration:

Nathan Brown-QB

Marquez Branson-TE

Larry Hart-DE

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 10:20 AM
what is your opinion of Juamorris Stewart (Southern WR)? any SWAC names stand out to youn

I saw a Southern game before and he looked good. Don't know if he can get AA honors from TSN this year because of the depth at WR. I think Mariani, Barden, Hudgins, and Roberts have to be on the list for sure. Cameron Luke at Texas State is another to watch for while Tony Washington at Sacramento State is quietly having a great year and is flying under the radar. Stewart is probably a 3rd team or HM honoree just because of the abundance of talent at the receiver position this year.

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 10:21 AM
At UCA I would think the following would receive strong consideration:

Nathan Brown-QB

Marquez Branson-TE

Larry Hart-DE

I was about to say that all 3 of them have to be on the list as well. Hart is going to be added to the Buchanan list, I believe. He is having a great year.

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Rashad Jennings - RB - Liberty

Best running back in FCS right now and I am not being sarcastic either. Won't be surprised to see him go in the 5th-7th round of the draft. xthumbsupx

DLS
November 6th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Scotty McGee PR and KR

F#%K Scotty Mcgee.

. . . . thats right, i said it.

813Jag
November 6th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I saw a Southern game before and he looked good. Don't know if he can get AA honors from TSN this year because of the depth at WR. I think Mariani, Barden, Hudgins, and Roberts have to be on the list for sure. Cameron Luke at Texas State is another to watch for while Tony Washington at Sacramento State is quietly having a great year and is flying under the radar. Stewart is probably a 3rd team or HM honoree just because of the abundance of talent at the receiver position this year.
I don't think he'll be 1st or 2nd, but he's a junior and he's having one of the best single seasons a WR has had a Southern.

PhoenixPhan06
November 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
WR Terrell Hudgins
K Andrew Wilcox
P Brandon Lane

smallcollegefbfan
November 6th, 2008, 03:15 PM
I don't think he'll be 1st or 2nd, but he's a junior and he's having one of the best single seasons a WR has had a Southern.

I think he should be a preseason All-American next year and should at least be in the discussion of the list this year. I saw a game on TV earlier this year and he torched the other team. I want to think it was maybe FAMU or someone like that?

813Jag
November 6th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I think he should be a preseason All-American next year and should at least be in the discussion of the list this year. I saw a game on TV earlier this year and he torched the other team. I want to think it was maybe FAMU or someone like that?
He had a good game against FAMU.

Houndawg
November 6th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Offense/Returns - Larry Warner

Defense- James Cloud LB
Chauncy Mixon LB
Brandin Jordan LB

Longhorn
November 6th, 2008, 06:43 PM
F#%K Scotty Mcgee.

. . . . thats right, i said it.

xlolx You'd have to catch him first. xthumbsupx

DaDukes40
November 6th, 2008, 11:31 PM
JMU'S potential All-Americans
Offense:
Rodney Landers, QB
Scott Lemm, C
Terrence Apted, OT

Defense:
Marcus Haywood, S
Sam Daniels, DT

Special Teams: Scotty McGee
Won't get all of them but I'd bet Landers, Lemm and McGee for sure.

santosballnewhampshire
November 7th, 2008, 04:27 AM
TE Scott Sicko

magman919
November 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
If intelligence factored in All-America honors then half of the guys on these lists could not be eligible. It is a testament to his ability to be a good player and that smart. Don't really see Banks earning 1st or 2nd team AA honors this year though. He has had down numbers compared to past years. Banks was the preseason SoCon DEF POY but I could see Mark LeGree of App or Williams at Furman or even Roman at App getting that honor this year.

Banks has very similar numbers from this time last year.
He has been of the most consistant defensive player's in the Socon the last 3 years. Remember App will prob play at least two games in the playoffs. If they go all the way to Chat like they did last year that leaves 7 games for him to equal or better last years numbers.

2007 numbers 15 games:

108 tackles
7 tackle for loss
2.5 sacks
1 int
6 pass break ups
3 QB hurries
3 fumble recovery
2 forced fubles
1 blk
1st TSN AA

2008 number through 9 games:

57 Tackles
4 TFL
2 sacks
1 int
4 pass break ups
1 QB hurry
2 forced fumbles

Get familiar!!

smallcollegefbfan
November 7th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Banks has very similar numbers from this time last year.
He has been of the most consistant defensive player's in the Socon the last 3 years. Remember App will prob play at least two games in the playoffs. If they go all the way to Chat like they did last year that leaves 7 games for him to equal or better last years numbers.

2007 numbers 15 games:

108 tackles
7 tackle for loss
2.5 sacks
1 int
6 pass break ups
3 QB hurries
3 fumble recovery
2 forced fubles
1 blk
1st TSN AA

2008 number through 9 games:

57 Tackles
4 TFL
2 sacks
1 int
4 pass break ups
1 QB hurry
2 forced fumbles

Get familiar!!

Let's be honest here, he should not have been a 1st team All-American by TSN. The only reason ASU had so many on the list was because they were voted on after the playoffs. He will likely be 3rd team or HM this year since they will be voted on a week or so after the regular season concludes. Not saying Banks is not good but I am saying that he won't get 1st team All-America honors by TSN unless he has a strong conclusion to the season.

I really believe that LeGree or Roman will win SoCon DEF POY. If you are saying Banks is an All-America candidate you are right, however, he was taken off the Buck Buchanan list and that shows that maybe he was not living up to expectations. When you look at the ASU stat leaders Banks is the #4 tackler on the team and #3 among the LBs. All I'm saying is that LeGree and Roman are more deserving for 1st or 2nd team honors over Banks while he should still earn 1st team All-SoCon and maybe 2nd or 3rd team All-America honors.

Turfwar
November 7th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Cruz (sp?) the WR from Umass is definately the best receiver in that nation, in my opinion, the kid is a player.

AshevilleApp
November 7th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Jacque Roman should be given consideration as an All-American.

Stats
89 Tackles
4 TFL
1 Sack
2 INTs
2 Breakups
4 QB Hurries
3 Fumble Recoveries

smallcollegefbfan
November 7th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Cruz (sp?) the WR from Umass is definately the best receiver in that nation, in my opinion, the kid is a player.

He is really good. Not sure if you have seen Barden or not but I would have to go with Barden as the best with Cruz as one of the best.

Many people think that the top QB, WR, DE, etc. in their conference is the best in the nation and it is tough to not think so since most people don't get to see everyone in the country. Not saying Cruz is not good because he is certainly one of the top wideouts in FCS.

magman919
November 7th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Let's be honest here, he should not have been a 1st team All-American by TSN. The only reason ASU had so many on the list was because they were voted on after the playoffs. He will likely be 3rd team or HM this year since they will be voted on a week or so after the regular season concludes. Not saying Banks is not good but I am saying that he won't get 1st team All-America honors by TSN unless he has a strong conclusion to the season.

I really believe that LeGree or Roman will win SoCon DEF POY. If you are saying Banks is an All-America candidate you are right, however, he was taken off the Buck Buchanan list and that shows that maybe he was not living up to expectations. When you look at the ASU stat leaders Banks is the #4 tackler on the team and #3 among the LBs. All I'm saying is that LeGree and Roman are more deserving for 1st or 2nd team honors over Banks while he should still earn 1st team All-SoCon and maybe 2nd or 3rd team All-America honors.

Wow. He shouldn't have been first team AA last year by TSN??
Him being the 4th leading tackler and 3rd among LB's last year didn't deter TSN. They obviously felt like he was worthy of that selection. He plays bandit linebacker which is not condusive to leading the team in tackles. Not bashing Roman. He's been playing great. Roman led the team in tackles last year as well. But making tackles 10 yards down the field doesn't mean you're worthy of AA status. You take Roman out and you can plug Banks in there like he never left. Take Banks out and the ASU defense is in trouble. There's a reason why this guy has started 42 consecutive games. He is versitle enough to play in the box as well as in space on slot recievers and tight ends. I think some folks understand his value. We shall see as the regular season concludes and we get into the playoffs.xthumbsupx

smallcollegefbfan
November 7th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Wow. He shouldn't have been first team AA last year by TSN??
Him being the 4th leading tackler and 3rd among LB's last year didn't deter TSN. They obviously felt like he was worthy of that selection. He plays bandit linebacker which is not condusive to leading the team in tackles. Not bashing Roman. He's been playing great. Roman led the team in tackles last year as well. But making tackles 10 yards down the field doesn't mean you're worthy of AA status. You take Roman out and you can plug Banks in there like he never left. Take Banks out and the ASU defense is in trouble. There's a reason why this guy has started 42 consecutive games. He is versitle enough to play in the box as well as in space on slot recievers and tight ends. I think some folks understand his value. We shall see as the regular season concludes and we get into the playoffs.xthumbsupx

I don't care what anyone says but when you take a vote from Mike Ayers, Jerry Moore, Bobby Lamb, etc. for the coaches all-conference team and they don't feel Banks is even worthy of 2nd team All-SoCon it says something. While I believe he should have been 2nd team and at least an honorable mention or 3rd team AA, I do think 1st team was a bit over the top. Look how many points ASU gave up per game last year. I don't think a defense who gave up 27 points per game deserved to have 3 1st teamers and 5 on the 1st-3rd teams. Then Robertson, Smith, and Roman were named honorable mention to give them 8 total. You really think a defense that gave up 27 points a game deserved to have 8 on the All-America team? Maybe on the all-conference teams because they were #2 in the SoCon but not on the AA teams.

I never said Banks did not deserve AA honors but pointed out that he was only named a 1st teamer because of when the ballots were taken. There were several players from ASU, Delaware, and Richmond who weren't even all-conference but were named AA because of when the ballots were issued out. He probably should have been a 2nd or 3rd teamer, was 3rd team on my ballot. Lynch was the best defender on the team and the only one deserving of 1st team honors. You can also argue that a player's overall ability should be measured over time and while Banks has started many games and is no doubt vital to ASU, he is just not one of the top 3 LBs in the nation. Anyone would tell you that Jason Williams, Bobby Daly, Andy Romans, Bobby Abare, and Andy Schantz have been better this year and have proven by still being on the Buchanan list. All I'm saying is that Banks is an AA but not 1st team worthy and I would bet you that he won't be a 1st teamer by TSN this year because the ballots will be issued earlier and he doesn't have the gaudy numbers that many of the others I named have or will have. If you want to mention gaudy numbers I even left off the one with perhaps the most gaudy stats because of his injuries and the fact that he has not been an AA the last two years like those others have in Murray State LB Nathan Williams. Williams probably get more AA votes than Banks this year as well.

Here is the current Buchanan list, which is for the top defender in FCS and I believe the 1st team list will be named from this group of oustanding players that you should check out if you haven't been fortunate enough to watch them as well. http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/buchanan/2008/index.aspx

I encourage all fans to record as many games as you can watch from other leagues on tv and make sure to check them out to see these great players that you miss weekly. I'm sure very few watched the South Carolina State vs. Howard game last night and missed out on seeing LB Endor Cooper, C Raymond Harrison, RB Will Ford, etc. who are all likely to earn AA honors this year. If you did, and yes I know the game was a blowout, you missed a couple of AA players that should be seen. Everyone watched App vs. Wofford on tv so it is just fair that App people check out these others and see why people from other leagues brag about their great players because there are many of them all around the nation.

sharkeycox
November 7th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Offense

QB Rodney Landers, JMU

Defense

DE Jovan Belcher, Maine
DE Greg Peach, EWU
LB Jason Williams, WIU

Todd Pendland, RBxsmiley_wix

smallcollegefbfan
November 7th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Todd Pendland, RBxsmiley_wix

He is having a great year. xthumbsupx Another SLC RB to mention is NW State RB Byron Lawrence. He is also having another good season.

Jackluv
November 7th, 2008, 10:31 AM
KJ Gerard- DB
Robbie Dehaze- K/P

and SOMEONE in the run game! NAU only has given up 13 sacks (fewest in Big Sky) and leads the conference in rushing yards per game by 50 yrds! FR RB Deonte Williams is doing amazing.

Jerbearasu
November 7th, 2008, 11:23 AM
If it's anything like last year- who starts for App State?

ericsaid
November 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Mark Legree
Armanti Edwards
Jaque Roman(consideration)