PDA

View Full Version : Maine-UMass Tilt

KAUMASS
November 5th, 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm trying to get a read on this game...

Maine has been quietly racking up some wins. Not much love in the polls, but a strong GPI. I looked at their stats and they are stout on defense and like to run the ball (188 avg a game running). Their QB doesn't pass much, but has has a high effiency when he does and he does run quite a bit.

Both teams have similar losses to JMU & Richmond, and a loss to an FBS.

Maine's defense has played well all year. UMass's d is starting to play better, ironically without 2 of their regular starters, but I give the edge on defense to Maine coming in to this game.
Maine is slow and methodical on offense and chews up alot of game clock.
UMass can be explosive and is much more balanced on offense. Edge to UMass on offense.

I think this game comes down to the UMass offense versus the Maine defense and whichever unit plays better wins the game.

Can't wait, this should be an awesome game. I give UMass a slight edge coming into this game, only because there at home.

Minuteman87
November 5th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I was waiting for this thread.
Bottom line, loser can probably wave playoff hopes bye-bye.
I know almost nothing about Maine, but have been impressed with their turnaround.
If UMass plays the way it has the last two weeks on O and D (admittedly against pretty weak teams), then I'm confident in a W. If our sputtering, predictable offense and sieve-like defense from the first four games of the season shows up, Maine makes the long bus ride back to Orono with pretty big smiles on their faces.
Still haven't decided whether I will make the trip. May depend on the weather.

KAUMASS
November 5th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I was waiting for this thread.
Bottom line, loser can probably wave playoff hopes bye-bye.
I know almost nothing about Maine, but have been impressed with their turnaround.
If UMass plays the way it has the last two weeks on O and D (admittedly against pretty weak teams), then I'm confident in a W. If our sputtering, predictable offense and sieve-like defense from the first four games of the season shows up, Maine makes the long bus ride back to Orono with pretty big smiles on their faces.
Still haven't decided whether I will make the trip. May depend on the weather.

I can't make the game, but it is on Comcast Sports Net HDxeekx

smcwildcat
November 5th, 2008, 11:00 AM
lets go bears

KAUMASS
November 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
lets go bears

Thanks for the input...

Good luck with VILLANOVAxscanx

I find myself in the crosshairs of routing for Nova or for UNH.....hmmmmm...I gotta go with rooting for UNH on Saturday for CAA North loyalty because we've been smoked this year by the south. It would also make our game even bigger next week if UNH and UMass both win.

Jackman
November 5th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Gotta cheer for UNH against Nova. Nobody else is allowed to crush their dreams.

WrenFGun
November 5th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Gotta cheer for UNH against Nova. Nobody else is allowed to crush their dreams.

Heh, that hurts. I hate both teams, though respect their fans in this one. UNH plays both the rest of the way, so one will have playoff implications. I suppose I'm rooting for UMass because it will make next week much bigger, and it's at home for us, but I'm torn either way.

Good luck to both teams.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 5th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Very interesting game.
Both teams have been very good at times aand not so much others.

I've been saying Coach Brown is far to good of a coach to have a D as tallented as his playing as poorly as they did early.

UMaine has been getting better by the week.

One question....

Why would both teams not be pulling for UNH? Other then you hate us.:D

To go to the playoffs both must run the table.
A win over a UNH team that beat UV would be huge.
If UNH gets beat this weekend the strong south /overrated north talk will get much louder.

xpeacex

Jackman
November 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Well, some people have a theory that only the mythical "CAA North Champion" will make the playoffs, so Nova hanging an extra loss on UNH might help us. I don't know, is a 9-3 UMass better off competing for playoff spots with a 8-3 Nova and 9-2 UNH, or a 9-2 Nova and 8-3 UNH? We're definitely behind Nova and ahead of UNH in the second scenario. No idea where we are in the first scenario, could be first or last.

None of this will matter if we don't beat Maine.

Minuteman87
November 5th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Go UNH!
If UNH beats Nova it will make it that much sweeter when UMass crushes UNH the following week! (Actually, judging by the recent history of these teams, it will be a close game that comes down to the wire. But, I am getting ahead of myself. We MUST beat Maine first, which is not a given).

KAUMASS
November 6th, 2008, 06:58 AM
No Maine posters? The've been quiet. Maine Jeff?? Like to hear some Maine perspectives going into this game.

PapaBear
November 6th, 2008, 08:19 AM
No Maine posters? The've been quiet. Maine Jeff?? Like to hear some Maine perspectives going into this game.

We're not a real talkative bunch when it comes to "Season-on-the-line" games, I guess.

Obviously Maine has tremendous respect for the UMass program. But as you know, this team will come into McGuirk with no fear and tons of emotion. No question it will be a very physical outing -- football at its best.

As a fan and parent of a UMaine player, I'm thrilled to be able to attend a game of this magnitude. My biggest hope is that the game lives up to its expectations -- both teams play well and everyone stays reasonably healthy.

Beyond that ... let's get it on!

ccd494
November 6th, 2008, 09:33 AM
I'm more curious going into this game than anything else.

Does Comcast broadcast online like CN8?

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 6th, 2008, 09:44 AM

Not sure, but I do know that the CSN games are not available "on demand" for a week like the CN8 games. xmadx

KAUMASS
November 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM

channelsurfing.net may have the game. The don't post their schedule till the day b4. They usually pick up a lot of feeds for no charge..I've watched a number of CAA games this year on that channel. I always clean my computer afterwards just in case, I'm always afraid of any activex or spyware planted by channelsurfing. It's free, but there has to be a catch somewhere!!

KAUMASS
November 6th, 2008, 10:48 AM
We're not a real talkative bunch when it comes to "Season-on-the-line" games, I guess.

Obviously Maine has tremendous respect for the UMass program. But as you know, this team will come into McGuirk with no fear and tons of emotion. No question it will be a very physical outing -- football at its best.

As a fan and parent of a UMaine player, I'm thrilled to be able to attend a game of this magnitude. My biggest hope is that the game lives up to its expectations -- both teams play well and everyone stays reasonably healthy.

Beyond that ... let's get it on!

You got it you Maineiacs..Nicely said..Good luck to your son. Maine is an excellent team, should be a physical, low scoring game.

mainejeff
November 6th, 2008, 11:11 AM
My brain says......I hope that Maine can "hang" with the Minutemen in Amherst. They have very few wins there over the years. And the Don Brown/Jack Cosgrove match-up just gives me the shivers.

My heart says.......This Maine team is a very close knit bunch with much more chemistry than recent Black Bear teams. I see a close Maine win due to a dominating defense and run game.

BlackBear
November 6th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Supposedly for Time Warner customers in Maine, the game will be on channel 26.

[URL="http://newengland.comcastsportsnet.com/about/channel-lineup/"]

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 6th, 2008, 12:56 PM
Welcome BlackBearxthumbsupx

biobengal
November 6th, 2008, 02:07 PM
IMO, teams that can run the ball and play defense fare well on the road... I like Maine in this one.

BlackBear
November 6th, 2008, 06:03 PM
Just heard that the game is on Channel 38 (CSN) on Time Warner.

Kymermosst
November 7th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I'm definitely not taking this game lightly.

Maine and UMass have played very close the last few years, and I think Maine is doing better this year than they have the past few.

Maine has an identical record, including the same 2 CAA losses and an FBS loss.

I think UMass has figured some things out in the past couple of outings though. Hopefully that holds true against the tougher competition.

Tomorrow should be great. Any Maine guys coming down for the game?