PDA

View Full Version : MAC is Back at Weber State!

Native
November 4th, 2008, 09:41 PM
Weber State University head football coach, Ron McBride, has accepted a new four-year contract to coach the Wildcats through the 2012 season.

In his fourth year at Weber State, Coach McBride is 17-12 in the Big Sky competition and 23-20 overall.

Coach Mac is 111-83 over his entire college head coaching career, which includes 13 years at Utah. There, his teams won two conference championships and made six post season bowl appearances, including including a 2001 Las Vegas Bowl victory over USC.

http://www.weberstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=39328&SPID=3468&temp_site=NO&DB_OEM_ID=8600&ATCLID=1618082

Big Al
November 4th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I remember when they offered him the job at WSU -- definitely a good hire on their part. Now he just needs to improve the player's grades a bit and I'll be behind him 100%.

Native
November 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Over the years, Mac has sent a number of players to the NFL and CFL.

Last year, Weber State Offensive Linemen David Hale was drafted in the fourth round by the Baltimore Ravens, and Dmitri Tsoumpas was the second overall pick in the Canadian Football League draft, taken by the Calgary Stampeders.

Other NFL players mentored by Coach McBride include:

Jamal Anderson - All-Pro running back, Atlanta Falcons
Mike Anderson - 2000 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Denver Broncos
Kevin Dyson - The first wide receiver taken in the 1998 NFL draft; starter for Tennessee Titans in 2000 Super Bowl;
Andre Dyson - Brother of Kevin and defensive back for Tennessee
Luther Ellis - All-Pro defensive lineman, Detroit Lions
Steve Smith - Led the NFL in kickoff returns in 2001; only rookie named to the Pro Bowl team, plays for Carolina Panthers
Jordan Gross - Eighth pick in first round of NFL draft; current starting offensive tackle for Carolina Panthers.
Pat McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)
Paul McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Oakland Raiders in the 3rd round of the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_McBride

Native
November 4th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I remember when they offered him the job at WSU -- definitely a good hire on their part. Now he just needs to improve the player's grades a bit and I'll be behind him 100%.

Yup!

santosballnewhampshire
November 4th, 2008, 09:56 PM
How much do you think he's making a year?

Native
November 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM
How much do you think he's making a year?

Good question! I don't think it's all that much. I think he coaches for the love of it. You can see it in the way he interacts with players and fans.

Peems
November 4th, 2008, 10:57 PM
Over the years, Mac has sent a number of players to the NFL and CFL.

Last year, Weber State Offensive Linemen David Hale was drafted in the fourth round by the Baltimore Ravens, and Dmitri Tsoumpas was the second overall pick in the Canadian Football League draft, taken by the Calgary Stampeders.

Other NFL players mentored by Coach McBride include:

Jamal Anderson - All-Pro running back, Atlanta Falcons
Mike Anderson - 2000 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, Denver Broncos
Kevin Dyson - The first wide receiver taken in the 1998 NFL draft; starter for Tennessee Titans in 2000 Super Bowl;
Andre Dyson - Brother of Kevin and defensive back for Tennessee
Luther Ellis - All-Pro defensive lineman, Detroit Lions
Steve Smith - Led the NFL in kickoff returns in 2001; only rookie named to the Pro Bowl team, plays for Carolina Panthers
Jordan Gross - Eighth pick in first round of NFL draft; current starting offensive tackle for Carolina Panthers.
Pat McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Dallas Cowboys in the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)
Paul McQuistan - Offensive Lineman selected by the Oakland Raiders in the 3rd round of the 2006 NFL Draft (Weber State)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_McBride

What was that name of the linebacker who played for Weber a few years back who was a tackling machine?

I Bleed Purple
November 4th, 2008, 11:11 PM
I'm also somewhat interested in what he makes. All the better if he's okay with working on the cheap.

already123
November 4th, 2008, 11:16 PM
congratulations to McBride AND Obama!!!

slostang
November 4th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Good move for Weber State.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 12:16 AM
From the moiuth of Mac:

"I want to be here. I want to do things for this university that haven't been done. I want to do right by the kids [I recruited]."

http://www.sltrib.com/wsuwildcats/ci_10894001

I Bleed Purple
November 5th, 2008, 11:26 AM
According to the Standard, he made around $110,000 last year and is getting a raise for his new contract.

Also asked about coaching 'til he's 73, he said if he died, he wanted his coaches to make a cardboard cutout of him and put it on the sidelines.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 01:21 PM
...asked about coaching 'til he's 73, he said if he died, he wanted his coaches to make a cardboard cutout of him and put it on the sidelines.

xnodx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx