PDA

View Full Version : MoValley Power Ratings 11/4

RabidRabbit
November 4th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Right now, IMHO the MoValley Power rankings are:

UNI - Panthers are done with the tough teams and will cruise to (at least) a co-champ position. Win at SUU and a play-off spot will be theirs.
SIU - Next two home games are must wins (WIU/SDSU) then Il St to close. Possibly in even with a loss, but doubtful.
SDSU - Steamrolling through the MVFC weak sisters, but close with two tough road games. Need to win out to make play-offs.
WIU - Needed to knock off UNI for title shot in Macomb last week. Instead, got beat soundly. Can redeem vs SIU, but unless UNI gets knocked off twice, WIU is sitting home come play-offs.
NDSU - All tough teams (except Rabbits) played, and went 1-3. Not the quality team of the last two seasons. Reduced to spoiler roll, and that's only for the Bunnies.
MoStU - Bears have been in several games, and taken down big by running teams. Large performance gap from NDSU to MSU.
IL St - Tough going for the Redbirds this year.
YSU - This team is in disarray. Injuries, departures have created a team without a mission.
In St - First year of decent coaching, almost all RFr, FR starters. LLLOOONNGGG way to get out of cellar, but this team is much better now than in Sept.

ValleyChamp
November 4th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Should be an exciting finish.

Mountain Panther
November 4th, 2008, 12:34 PM
As long as SIU doesn't play like they did against us in the second half, they will win out, and we'll be stuck sharing the first-ever MVFC title. :(

Houndawg
November 4th, 2008, 01:10 PM
As long as SIU doesn't play like they did against us in the second half, they will win out, and we'll be stuck sharing the first-ever MVFC title. :(

Just like old times, bro.;)

Yeah that checking out for a half thing can't be happening at this time of the year or we're going to be home a play off time. The good news is that our first 22 on O and our first 22 on D lose a grand total six players between them.:D

malibudude
November 4th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Keep an eye on that UNI-SUU game in Cedar City. TBirds are a much improved team.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Keep an eye on that UNI-SUU game in Cedar City. TBirds are a much improved team.

They will need to be.xnodx

ValleyChamp
November 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Never easy to play on the road. I expect to win, but you never know what could happen.

crunifan
November 4th, 2008, 03:50 PM

Considering what we did to them last year, they need to be more than much improved. The first string didn't even play an entire half last year, and our second string still outscored them...

In my opinion, the only way SUU beats us, is if there is a mental collapse on UNI's side. There is no doubt that UNI is more talented.

ValleyChamp
November 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Heck, if we get some help, that game may only matter for playoff seeding. We might be Valley Champions at that point. Hey SIU, how about you help us out and LOSE...

JayJ79
November 4th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Just like old times, bro.;)

Yeah that checking out for a half thing can't be happening at this time of the year or we're going to be home a play off time. The good news is that our first 22 on O and our first 22 on D lose a grand total six players between them.:D

Kinda funny. UNI didn't play worth a darn in the first half of the game, SIU didn't play very well in the second half. Unfortunately, UNI didn't play very well in the 4th quarter either, so you guys ended up with the W.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Kinda funny. UNI didn't play worth a darn in the first half of the game, SIU didn't play very well in the second half. Unfortunately, UNI didn't play very well in the 4th quarter either, so you guys ended up with the W.

Both teams will be much improved when we meet in the playoffs.xnodx We're starting to get the hang of the new coaches and system.

siuham
November 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Both teams will be much improved when we meet in the playoffs.xnodx We're starting to get the hang of the new coaches and system.

Which, given the genius of the selection committee, will be in the 2nd round.

ValleyChamp
November 4th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Which, given the genius of the selection committee, will be in the 2nd round.

And if we win out, unfortunatly for the Salukies, most likely in the Dome.

malibudude
November 5th, 2008, 12:41 AM
Considering what we did to them last year, they need to be more than much improved. The first string didn't even play an entire half last year, and our second string still outscored them...

In my opinion, the only way SUU beats us, is if there is a mental collapse on UNI's side. There is no doubt that UNI is more talented.

Cedar City will be cold and windy in late November. Getting there is difficult. The Panthers will be playing in front of a lot less people than a mid west high school game. Attendance will be less than 1800 and no panther fans. Hard to describe, just a tough kind of weird environment to play a game that will really matter to UNI.

JayJ79
November 5th, 2008, 01:02 AM
I don't think that SUU game will be quite the cakewalk for UNI that many other Panther fans assume it will be.

But I still think they can pull it off.

malibudude
November 5th, 2008, 02:17 AM
I don't think that SUU game will be quite the cakewalk for UNI that many other Panther fans assume it will be.

But I still think they can pull it off.

I agree. UNI is a better team, but a tough time to play, a long way from home, in an extremely different theatre.

Houndawg
November 5th, 2008, 08:10 AM
Cedar City will be cold and windy in late November. Getting there is difficult. The Panthers will be playing in front of a lot less people than a mid west high school game. Attendance will be less than 1800 and no panther fans. Hard to describe, just a tough kind of weird environment to play a game that will really matter to UNI.

Should be able to whip a buch of sissies that play inside.:D

Khan4Cats
November 5th, 2008, 08:27 AM

Oh good, we'll get to experience something like that at Indiana State the week before we go there. Talk about a lack of attendance. $4 tickets is FULL PRICE for the Sycamores.

I fully expect a better game. Last year SUU was so beaten and demoralized from the ridiculous schedule they had to face last year, that by the time we played them, they just rolled over. If they beat the two UxD's the next two weeks, they will be playing for a chance to be over .500 for the season.

I really hope for a good game so that UNI can get back to full game speed prior to the play-offs. I think last years' closing with Indiana State and a demoralized SUU team took some of the game-speed edge away from the Panthers and it almost cost them against UNH.

clenz
November 5th, 2008, 08:32 AM
That sounds a lot like Iowa in November.

The weather in Cedar Falls this weekend, supposedly, 30's with snow.

Killsback
November 5th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Right now, IMHO the MoValley Power rankings are:

UNI - Panthers are done with the tough teams and will cruise to (at least) a co-champ position. Win at SUU and a play-off spot will be theirs.
SIU - Next two home games are must wins (WIU/SDSU) then Il St to close. Possibly in even with a loss, but doubtful.
SDSU - Steamrolling through the MVFC weak sisters, but close with two tough road games. Need to win out to make play-offs.
WIU - Needed to knock off UNI for title shot in Macomb last week. Instead, got beat soundly. Can redeem vs SIU, but unless UNI gets knocked off twice, WIU is sitting home come play-offs.
NDSU - All tough teams (except Rabbits) played, and went 1-3. Not the quality team of the last two seasons. Reduced to spoiler roll, and that's only for the Bunnies.
MoStU - Bears have been in several games, and taken down big by running teams. Large performance gap from NDSU to MSU.
IL St - Tough going for the Redbirds this year.
YSU - This team is in disarray. Injuries, departures have created a team without a mission.
In St - First year of decent coaching, almost all RFr, FR starters. LLLOOONNGGG way to get out of cellar, but this team is much better now than in Sept.

Don't see how UNI can be Number 1 on your list when they lost to SIU. The Salukis control their fate and have already beaten UNI head to head so that should earn them #1.

nmatsen
November 5th, 2008, 09:17 AM
I believe that these are current power rankings. Do you beleive right now that SIU is a better football team than UNI? Would you like to come to the Dome? Better yet, would you feel confident having us come back down to Carbondale and play again? These are not the power rankings from September, these are NOW.

I needed to edit this, it appears that this is smack, this is simply a comment for argument sake, not smack.

clenz
November 5th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Don't see how UNI can be Number 1 on your list when they lost to SIU. The Salukis control their fate and have already beaten UNI head to head so that should earn them #1.How could SIU be ahead of NDSU....they beat them head to head.

nmatsen
November 5th, 2008, 09:36 AM
How could SIU be ahead of NDSU....they beat them head to head.

Good to see you at AGS clenz, you have always been one of my favorite posters over at P'nation. It's Jeg,

Houndawg
November 5th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I believe that these are current power rankings. Do you beleive right now that SIU is a better football team than UNI? Would you like to come to the Dome? Better yet, would you feel confident having us come back down to Carbondale and play again? These are not the power rankings from September, these are NOW.

I needed to edit this, it appears that this is smack, this is simply a comment for argument sake, not smack.

xthumbsupx Cool.

I believe the gap is closer than it was when we played, (and I recognize that UNI has improved), because we are just coming into our own on defense with the new system- offense is improving but is still behind the D.

We're good enough to beat you at the dome, doesn't mean we will, but we have the horses. Had them last year, too.

ValleyChamp
November 5th, 2008, 12:52 PM
Don't see how UNI can be Number 1 on your list when they lost to SIU. The Salukis control their fate and have already beaten UNI head to head so that should earn them #1.

Well by that logic, NDSU is your number 1 because they beat the Salukis head to head.

Houndawg
November 5th, 2008, 02:34 PM

You'd have a good point, if NDSU were 6-2.

nmatsen
November 5th, 2008, 02:49 PM
You'd have a good point, if NDSU were 6-2.

Then you would have a good point if you were 7-2, but your not. UNI has more wins. You are essentially making that argument for SIU over NDSU so I will use the same argument to show UNI over SIU.

stevdock
November 5th, 2008, 05:09 PM

Now convince the playoff committee of that also. You've sold me xthumbsupx

clenz
November 5th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Good to see you at AGS clenz, you have always been one of my favorite posters over at P'nation. It's Jeg,I've been reading for quite a while, and finally figured what the hay...I might as well throw my opinion here too. Not that I needed another message board to follow along with the 6 others.

Back on topic...

If I'm not mistaken, as of right meow, UNI has sole possession of first place in the league. Which, at least in my simple mind, would make them number 1.

JayJ79
November 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
If I'm not mistaken, as of right meow, UNI has sole possession of first place in the league. Which, at least in my simple mind, would make them number 1.

does that mean that Illinois State should have been #1 in the MVFC power ratings when they had sole possession of first place in the league?

week of October 5th:
ILS 1-0 (won at INS)
SDSU 2-1 (won v. YSU, v. WIU; lost at UNI)
SIU 1-1 (won v. UNI; lost at NDSU)
UNI 1-1 (won v. SDSU; lost at SIU)
WIU 1-1 (won at MSU; lost at SDSU)
NDSU 1-1 (won v. SIU; lost at YSU)
YSU 1-1 (won v. NDSU; lost at SDSU)
MSU 0-1 (lost v. WIU)
INS 0-1 (lost v. ILS)

clenz
November 5th, 2008, 07:19 PM
does that mean that Illinois State should have been #1 in the MVFC power ratings when they had sole possession of first place in the league?

Yes.......xoopsx :D

Thunderstruck84
November 5th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Who cares who's ahead of who! I'd be happy with either of the top 2 spots, you're both in position to make a playoff run... can't say the same about anyone else in the conference xbawlingx

skinny_uncle
November 6th, 2008, 02:31 PM
I've been reading for quite a while, and finally figured what the hay...I might as well throw my opinion here too. Not that I needed another message board to follow along with the 6 others.

Back on topic...

All it means right now is that you have played one more game than the Salukis. When it comes to the autobid, the loss in Carbondale will come back to haunt you.

ValleyChamp
November 6th, 2008, 06:35 PM
All it means right now is that you have played one more game than the Salukis. When it comes to the autobid, the loss in Carbondale will come back to haunt you.

It will haunt us. Only if SIU takes care business down the stretch. Otherwise it could be another MVFC championship for the Panthers. xcoolx

JayJ79
November 6th, 2008, 08:48 PM
It will haunt us. Only if SIU takes care business down the stretch. Otherwise it could be another MVFC championship for the Panthers. xcoolx

technically, unless UNI loses in the next 9 days, they will have another MVFC championship. Though yes, if SIU wins their final 3 football games, they will also be MVFC champions (and will get the autobid)

ValleyChamp
November 6th, 2008, 11:07 PM
Say that scenario would play out. Would we still get a trophy and be able to say we are Conf. champs without getting the autobid? Thats an honest question.

JayJ79
November 6th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Say that scenario would play out. Would we still get a trophy and be able to say we are Conf. champs without getting the autobid? Thats an honest question.

Other teams have claimed to be "conference champs" in years where they were "co-champs" but without the autobid.

Does the Gateway/MVFC ever give out trophies?

ValleyChamp
November 6th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Yeah, they give out trophies. They are in the cases at the Dome. The newer ones are in the case by the NE corner I believe.

JayJ79
November 7th, 2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah, they give out trophies. They are in the cases at the Dome. The newer ones are in the case by the NE corner I believe.

interesting. I should wander around and check stuff out some time.

unigriff
November 7th, 2008, 08:55 AM
geesh Jay, way to be observant of the all-mighty Dome!

JayJ79
November 7th, 2008, 10:27 AM
geesh Jay, way to be observant of the all-mighty Dome!

I'm only ever in there on Gameday, and then I'm too busy paying attention to the actual game.

And I don't particularly like moving about in crowds, so most of the time, I stay in my seat. (well, not necessarily IN my seat, as I'll stand up to cheer, much to the dismay of the fogeys sitting behind me. but anyway).