PDA

View Full Version : A10 autobid scenarios

HensRock
November 11th, 2005, 06:48 PM
UNH, UMASS, UR all still alive for autobid and/or outright conf title.

If UNH wins out, UNH is the autobid. Nothing UMass or UR can do about it.
UNH wins 3-way tiebreaker* at 7-1 or 2-way 7-1 between either of them.
(*this is assuming UNH gets credit for beating UCD - a pretty safe bet)

If UNH loses to Maine AND...
...UMass beats Hofstra, then UMass is the autobid even if UR wins out.

If UNH loses to Maine AND UMass loses to Hofstra AND...
...UR wins just 1 of remaining 2, UR is autobid (this one is interesting because UR wins a 3-way 6-2 tiebreaker, so they do not have to win out if UNH and UMass both lose their remaining conf games)
...UR loses out, then UNH is the autobid

If UNH beats Maine AND loses to Iona AND...
...UMass beats Army AND Hostra AND UR beats TU AND WM, then UMass is the autobid. (This one is interesting because UMass would need UR to win out to force a 3-way tie at 7-1)
...Otherwise UNH is the autobid.

Looking at it the other way:
UNH Needs to...
...beat Maine and (beat Iona OR have either UMass or UR lose any of their remaining games)
...OR (have UMass lose to HU AND UR lose out)

UMass needs to Beat Hofstra
(if they lose to HU there are no scenarios where they win the auto)
AND...
...have UNH lose to Maine OR (Beat Army AND have UNH lose to Iona AND have UR win out)

UR needs to have UNH lose to Maine AND UMass lose to Hofstra AND...
...beat either Towson or W&M.

:dizzy:

blukeys
November 11th, 2005, 06:58 PM
Thanx for the analysis and the headache I have gotten. I will fix myself another drink and hopefully the headache will go away. ;) ;) ;)

HensRock
November 11th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Here's an interesting situation:
WHAT IF..This Saturday..
UR beats Towson
UMass beats Army
and UNH LOSES to Iona?

Then next week is set up to have couple of wild things possibly happen:
1. If UNH and UMass both lose their last game, UR is the autobid, regardless if they beat W&M or not.
2. If UNH and UMass both win their last game, the UR/W&M game will decide the autobid BETWEEN UMASS AND UNH!!! If UR wins, UMass is auto, if W&M wins, then UNH is auto. (UR will be fighting for their playoff lives however, so you got to like UMass's chances at the auto in this unlikely scenario)

Gotta LOVE that A10 !

Sam Adams
November 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM
Thanks Hensrock. Good analysis, my brain needs a rest now. ;)

umassfan
November 11th, 2005, 10:33 PM
I thought we already went over this that if all three win out then UMass is the Auto Bid winner due to UNH getting 0 points for their UC Davis win. :confused:

November 11th, 2005, 10:44 PM
I thought we already went over this that if all three win out then UMass is the Auto Bid winner due to UNH getting 0 points for their UC Davis win. :confused:Post some proof please.

UNHWildCats
November 11th, 2005, 11:13 PM
I was reading down through the messages wondering where UMassfan would pop up, and sure enough he was here LOL

GannonFan
November 11th, 2005, 11:35 PM
I thought we already went over this that if all three win out then UMass is the Auto Bid winner due to UNH getting 0 points for their UC Davis win. :confused:

Going over the scenario by yourself does not qualify the use of the pronoun "we".

Tod
November 11th, 2005, 11:45 PM
Oh, c'mon! I can see jumping on somebody when they deserve it, but you (and I mean several of you) should just get off umassfan's case. It was a legitimate question, answer it or move on.

:mad: :mad: :( :(

GannonFan
November 11th, 2005, 11:49 PM
Oh, c'mon! I can see jumping on somebody when they deserve it, but you (and I mean several of you) should just get off umassfan's case. It was a legitimate question, answer it or move on.

:mad: :mad: :( :(

Well, techincally there was no question, and he's posted the same statement (that UMass is in the driver's seat for the autobid) on different boards already with no analysis for his decision. Sometimes people just deserve it.

Tod
November 11th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Well, techincally there was no question, and he's posted the same statement (that UMass is in the driver's seat for the autobid) on different boards already with no analysis for his decision. Sometimes people just deserve it.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I don't give a damn about the other boards, I don't post there or read the material. I'm reading what I'm reading, and that's disrespect for someone who has asked a legitimate question (technically or not).

"Sometimes people just deserve it"? :bang: :bang:

GannonFan
November 12th, 2005, 12:32 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: I don't give a damn about the other boards, I don't post there or read the material. I'm reading what I'm reading, and that's disrespect for someone who has asked a legitimate question (technically or not).

"Sometimes people just deserve it"? :bang: :bang:

Hey, sorry you feel that way - but when it gets discussed ad infinitum (whether you saw it or not) and he's the only one with that opinion, despite being shown how others feel differently, and there's not a question but a condenscending jibe at the same people who already disagree with him, then that's the type of response that happens. If you're not going to "give a damn" about pertinent details then we're pretty much at an impasse. Peace.

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Hey, sorry you feel that way - but when it gets discussed ad infinitum (whether you saw it or not) and he's the only one with that opinion, despite being shown how others feel differently, and there's not a question but a condenscending jibe at the same people who already disagree with him, then that's the type of response that happens. If you're not going to "give a damn" about pertinent details then we're pretty much at an impasse. Peace.

OK, fine. But opinions and feeling have nothing to do with a legitimate question. I assume the answer to his question is no? If UMass wins out they do not get the autobid? Yes or no? Do you know the answer to the question, A-10 member?

November 12th, 2005, 12:44 AM
OK, fine. But opinions and feeling have nothing to do with a legitimate question. I assume the answer to his question is no? If UMass wins out they do not get the autobid? Yes or no? Do you know the answer to the question, A-10 member?I asked him to post proof for his belief.

GannonFan
November 12th, 2005, 12:54 AM
OK, fine. But opinions and feeling have nothing to do with a legitimate question. I assume the answer to his question is no? If UMass wins out they do not get the autobid? Yes or no? Do you know the answer to the question, A-10 member?

Since you actually asked a question, I'll answer it - I believe they do not - I believe that UNH wins the auto bid should they win out. A 3-way tie with Richmond will result in Richmond first being dropped and then UNH beats UMass head to head. If it's not a 2way tie it goes straight to the head to head and again UNH wins. That's the few that many take after reading the tie-breakers. Since none of us are A10 officials, none of our views are, well, official.

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 01:00 AM
I asked him to post proof for his belief.

Ralph, he had a question. Why or how would he answer his own question? If he had the answer, we both know umassfan well enough to know that he wouldn't ask it, he'd flaunt it or ignore it.

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 01:01 AM
Since you actually asked a question, I'll answer it - I believe they do not - I believe that UNH wins the auto bid should they win out. A 3-way tie with Richmond will result in Richmond first being dropped and then UNH beats UMass head to head. If it's not a 2way tie it goes straight to the head to head and again UNH wins. That's the few that many take after reading the tie-breakers. Since none of us are A10 officials, none of our views are, well, official.

Thank you. Good answer. Very strange to see Richmond in this mix. :confused: :confused: :) :) :)

November 12th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Ralph, he had a question. Why or how would he answer his own question? If he had the answer, we both know umassfan well enough to know that he wouldn't ask it, he'd flaunt it or ignore it.
Tod, show me where his question is stated:

GannonFan
November 12th, 2005, 01:07 AM
Thank you. Good answer. Very strange to see Richmond in this mix. :confused: :confused: :) :) :)

Well, only one loss in conference (first game of the year to UMass) leaves them in it. A combo of Tutt giving them enough offense at QB (did not play QB in first two games - could still come back to bite Clawson for not playing him then), the A10 being a little weaker this year (weak in that not a preponderance of really good teams), and Richmond actually being a pretty decent team. They still have a road game at Towson (6-3 this year so nothing to snooze about) and a home game against rival W&M. No lock that Richmond win this week, let alone both.

umassfan
November 12th, 2005, 01:49 AM
TIE OUTSIDE DIVISION

1. Head-to-head competition.
2. Combined winning percentage versus all common Atlantic 10
opponents.
3. Should a tie remain, one (1) point will be awarded for a victory versus
a I-AA opponent from the following conferences: Big Sky, Big
South, Gateway, Ivy, Mid-Eastern Athletic, Ohio Valley, Patriot,
Southern, Southland, Southwestern Athletic, and current independents;
one-half (0.5) point will be awarded for a victory versus a I-AA opponent
from the following conferences: Metro Atlantic, Northeast, and
Pioneer; and two (2) points will be awarded for a victory versus a I-A
opponent. In addition, one (1) point will be deducted for a loss to a
Division II or Division lII opponent. Points will not be awarded for a
victory versus a Division II or III institution, nor will points be deducted
for a loss to a Division I-A or I-AA institution. The team with the
most points would be declared the automatic qualifier.

No where in there does it mention where UC Davis plays...

Here is where I got the info A10 Tie Braker (http://www.atlantic10.org/sports/football/mediaguides/2005/17_confrencehistory.pdf)

UMass: 2.5pts
Army(2pts)
Albany(0.5pts)

UNH: 1.5pts
UC Davis(0pts)
Iona(0.5pts)
Darthmoth(1pt)

Richmond: 1pt
VMI(1pt)

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 02:54 AM
Tod, show me where his question is stated:

The question is evident via the smiley - :confused:

If you don't see that you're not looking. It's obvious.

umassfan
November 12th, 2005, 02:59 AM
The question is evident via the smiley - :confused:

If you don't see that you're not looking. It's obvious.
At least there is one person who understands... good lookin out Tod

HensRock
November 12th, 2005, 07:56 PM
This became a LOT clearer today with UMass's loss and Richmond's win.

UNH is very simple:
If they beat Maine, they are the auto bid, if they lose, they are not.

UMass is almost as simple. They need to beat Hofstra and have UNH lose to Maine.

UR is simple too. They need to hope UNH and UMass both lose. Then they are the autobid. Notice - their game against W&M is completely irrelevant to their chance at the auto bid, because they win the 3-way tiebreaker when all three are 6-2.

CollegeObserver
November 12th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I've got to disagree, my friend. UNH and UMass don't matter to UR at this point.

UR, with an 8-3 record, 7-1 in conference, with a 7 game win streak is in. It's a lock. No question. No D-II's, and a decent performance vs. a BCS I-A.

blukeys
November 12th, 2005, 10:07 PM
I've got to disagree, my friend. UNH and UMass don't matter to UR at this point.

UR, with an 8-3 record, 7-1 in conference, with a 7 game win streak is in. It's a lock. No question. No D-II's, and a decent performance vs. a BCS I-A.

The issue is the A-10 AUTOBID not whether or not a team makes it into the playoffs. Please read what the thread is about and the comments of all the posters from the beginning of the thread!

CollegeObserver
November 12th, 2005, 10:08 PM
UR correct. My bad.

blukeys
November 12th, 2005, 10:09 PM
No Problem :D