PDA

View Full Version : Why Does Cal Poly Deserve a No. 3 Ranking?

Green26
November 3rd, 2008, 07:05 PM
I think Cal Poly is a very good team, but I don't understand why they deserve to be ranked no. 3. Cal Poly is 6-1 with a D-II transitional win. See the below schedule with my comments in brackets. Where are the quality wins? Sure, the offense is prolific (as it was last year), but they're 78th in total defense and giving up 25 points per game.

08/30/2008 * San Diego St. 29 27 W [SDS is terrible. Only win is over Idaho]
09/06/2008 *+ Montana 28 30 L
09/20/2008 * Northwestern St. 52 18 W [NW is 6-3]
10/04/2008 *+ South Dakota 49 22 W [SD is a 4-4 D-II transitional; look at SD's schedule]
10/18/2008 * South Dakota St. 42 28 W [SDS is 5-4]
10/25/2008 *+ Southern Utah 69 41 W [SU is 3-5]
11/01/2008 *+ Idaho St. 49 10 W [ISU is 0-9]
11/08/2008 + N.C. Central
11/15/2008 + UC Davis
11/22/2008 Wisconsin
+ Home Game ^ Neutral Site * Night Game

This link is to Cal Poly's stats, and you can get to the records/stats of CP's opponents by clicking on the name in the schedule.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=90

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I think Cal Poly is a very good team, but I don't understand why they deserve to be ranked no. 3. Cal Poly is 6-1 with a D-II win. See the below schedule with my comments in brackets. Where are the quality wins? Sure, the offense is prolific (as it was last year), but they're 78th in total defense and giving up 25 points per game.

08/30/2008 * San Diego St. 29 27 W [SDS is terrible. Only win is over Idaho]
09/06/2008 *+ Montana 28 30 L
09/20/2008 * Northwestern St. 52 18 W [NW is 6-3]
10/04/2008 *+ South Dakota 49 22 W [SD is a 4-4 D-II]
10/18/2008 * South Dakota St. 42 28 W [SDS is 5-4]
10/25/2008 *+ Southern Utah 69 41 W [SU is 3-5]
11/01/2008 *+ Idaho St. 49 10 W [ISU is 0-9]
11/08/2008 + N.C. Central
11/15/2008 + UC Davis
11/22/2008 Wisconsin
+ Home Game ^ Neutral Site * Night Game

This link is to Cal Poly's stats, and you can get to the records/stats of CP's opponents by clicking on the name in the schedule.

http://web1.ncaa.org/football/exec/rankingSummary?year=2008&org=90
OT Overtime Game

I agree...i don't see the quality wins either

and the NCCU game will be considered a D-II as well xrulesx

If they lose to UC Davis (which could happen)
Then get blasted by Wisconsin (which is very likely)
I don't see how CP would merit an playoff spot. IMHO.

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
I think they are a good team from what I have read and the few clips I have seen, but I can't argue this point. I'm guilty of ranking them third in my poll, when really the pecking order for the western schools should be Weber, Montana, Cal Poly in that order.

clenz
November 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM
I think they are a good team from what I have read and the few clips I have seen, but I can't argue this point. I'm guilty of ranking them third in my poll, when really the pecking order for the western schools should be Weber, Montana, Cal Poly in that order.

What are you considering Western in that case?

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2008, 07:17 PM
CP is in if they beat Davis (assuming a blowout of NC Central) and they should beat Davis. They might have a shot at Wisconsin, too, since Wisconsin hasn't played well of late. An upset there is probably more likely if they need it to make the playoffs, though, and they shouldn't need it if they beat Davis.

The Mustangs don't deserve a #3, but I have them at #6. Their only loss is to Montana, who I have #4. They have no huge wins, but the wins over both SDSUs are solid (I have South Dakota St. @ #23) as well as the road stomping of SLC auto-bid leader Northwestern State. They've also dominated the teams they were supposed to dominate, which is more than you can say for a lot of Top-25ers. Their defense is only average (though they can wreak havoc on QBs) & their special teams aren't too good, but I'm not sure anyone in FCS can stop their offense. Montana probably came the closest, but still gave up 400+.

LehighFan11
November 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Like I said last week, App St and Cal Poly were ranked highly based on expectations. App St proved they are top 2 last friday. Unfortunately we will probably have to wait until the playoffs to find out if Poly is for real ( unless they test Wisc). I do believe they will be a TOUGH out in round 1.

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Like I said last week, App St and Cal Poly were ranked highly based on expectations. App St proved they are top 2 last friday. Unfortunately we will probably have to wait until the playoffs to find out if Poly is for real ( unless they test Wisc). I do believe they will be a TOUGH out in round 1.

Do you still have them in if the fall to UC-D?

WoffDoc04
November 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Just to play devil's advocate, why did the last three teams ranked #3 in the TSN poll (Wofford, Elon, and McNeese) deserve that spot? In fact, given recent history, it might serve a team better not to be ranked #3 (I'm still a little shaken up over that Horror movie I saw Halloween night)

The fact of the matter is that this is how these polls work...no one really gets dropped unless they lose (or maybe if they're idle), and to Poly's credit, they just keep winning. In my book that shows they deserve to be ranked as high as they can go if the teams in the front keep losing.

LehighFan11
November 3rd, 2008, 07:30 PM
Do you still have them in if the fall to UC-D?

They won't.

coover
November 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
Consider San Diego State a much better team on August 30 than they have been the rest of the year. In fact, consider them a better team then when they played Notre Dame the next week and almost outplayed them. The awful SDSU team was not awful that evening

San Diego State went into the Poly game actually expecting to have a decent season (for them, actually expecting at least a .500 season). Additionally, while they knew that Poly would be good, they didn't realize how good. Poly surprised them early both offensively and defensively and then a couple key SDSU players were hurt. And if you watch the SDSU - Notre Dame game, you could see that San Diego had some talent.

But the real point is that the SDSU _ Poly game, as played, should not have been a 2 point Poly win. Poly was clearly the best team that day. Poly should have won by 2 or more TDs.

In the 2 point loss to Montana, again, Poly was clearly the best team on the field. A couple of mistakes (including the miss of a chip-shot field goal) and Poly lost the game.

Those two games were early in the season. The mistakes that made the San Diego game close and caused the loss to Montana are no longer being made.

Poly is stronger than you think.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 07:38 PM
Funny that someone from Montana would question some other teams rankings. Montana always benifits from reputation and expectations in the polls.

Let me ask you this, if Cal Poly and Montana played 10 times who do you honestly think would win the majority? I think Cal Poly would win at least 6 if not 7.

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2008, 07:39 PM
In the 2 point loss to Montana, again, Poly was clearly the best team on the field. A couple of mistakes (including the miss of a chip-shot field goal) and Poly lost the game.

Have to argue that, since it's a pretty ridiculous statement. Montana won the turnover battle, dominated special teams (a TD following a blocked punt, another TD following a shank; CP averaged 14.7 yards per punt), & ran all over the Mustangs in the second half.

Montana didn't screw up, Cal Poly did. That's how games are won & lost.

Poly Pigskin
November 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM

How many FCS schools have beaten FBS teams this year?

Incorrect.

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'd throw Cal Poly up against any team in the Country. Geeze they beat the Southland's leaders 52-18. Northwestern State will probably be the playoff team from that Conference.

No one can stop this offense. You'll need to out score them.

mvemjsunpx
November 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Funny that someone from Montana would question some other teams rankings. Montana always benifits from reputation and expectations in the polls.

Let me ask you this, if Cal Poly and Montana played 10 times who do you honestly think would win the majority? I think Cal Poly would win at least 6 if not 7.

I think the Griz would win more than half. Montana has looked pretty strong lately. They would also continue to dominate special teams as they did in the actual meeting (Montana blocks punts all the time, Cal Poly's special teams are pretty weak). Bobby Hauck knows how to beat the flex defense & has proved it in his games against NAU & Cal Poly over the years. Add all that to the fact that half of the 10 meetings would be in WaGriz & it seems pretty clear who would win the long term.

Cal Poly's a top-10 team, but a little worse than Montana.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 07:44 PM

If they lose to UC Davis (which could happen)
Then get blasted by Wisconsin (which is very likely)
I don't see how CP would merit an playoff spot. IMHO.

Beating South Dakota State on the road is a good win.

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2008, 07:46 PM
You know Montana has lost at least 4 games since 2003 on missed field goals in the final seconds and we always got blamed for the loss and dropped big time in the polls.

We FINALLY won one when the other team missed.

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Beating South Dakota State on the road is a good win.

Only if they win out...xwhistlex
If not, then they're just a middle of the road MVFC team

Green26
November 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM
I attended the Montana v. Cal Poly game. It is absolutely not true that "Poly was clearly the best team that day". The game was very even and back and forth. Montana had a 30-21 lead with 11 minutes to go in the game.

The Cal Poly kicker sucks. We watched him in warmups and at half time. In fact, CP warmed up another kicker.

The CP kicker is 5-9 this year, and 4-6 from 20-29. No kick by that kicker is a sure thing.

Montana is a much better team now than they were at the start of the season. The defense is considerably better. The qb is playing extremely well. A running back has emerged. The offensive line, which pushed CP all over the field in the second half, has also improved.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2008, 08:01 PM
They won't.

That is a rivalry game and over the years those two teams have had some crazy games. Cal Poly has the edge but I wouldn't count out UCD.

I have CP ranked 5th, I did have them ranked third but Weber State and Montana finally caught up to them. That said they won't be dropping again unless they lose. CP is an offensive machine and they are definitely not a team I would want to play against in the playoffs.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 08:16 PM
Consider San Diego State a much better team on August 30 than they have been the rest of the year. In fact, consider them a better team then when they played Notre Dame the next week and almost outplayed them. The awful SDSU team was not awful that evening

San Diego State went into the Poly game actually expecting to have a decent season (for them, actually expecting at least a .500 season). Additionally, while they knew that Poly would be good, they didn't realize how good. Poly surprised them early both offensively and defensively and then a couple key SDSU players were hurt. And if you watch the SDSU - Notre Dame game, you could see that San Diego had some talent.

But the real point is that the SDSU _ Poly game, as played, should not have been a 2 point Poly win. Poly was clearly the best team that day. Poly should have won by 2 or more TDs.

Those two games were early in the season. The mistakes that made the San Diego game close and caused the loss to Montana are no longer being made.

Poly is stronger than you think.

I don't think anyone can be surprised offensively by the top offense in the nation in the last two years.

And to answer someone else's question about who'd win out of ten times, all I can say is that the Griz right now are a completely different team from the team that won in September.

To answer the question, no, I don't think they deserve a #3 ranking. But they do stay in the top 10.

malibudude
November 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
The Montana game was back and forth. The Griz are tough. The Griz completey out played CP on special teams and the result looked as if it was always going to be a coin flip. We had the turnovers but we also had homefield. I think the result was fair. CP has improved a lot since the Montana game, if you take away the pass, they rush for 400 yards, if you put 8 in the box they will pass for 400 yards, very few teams have that option. The CP offense as it is working now, would be very difficult for any FCS team to contain.

tingly
November 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
James Madison, App State, Villanova, Richmond, Weber State, Montana and Cal Poly are at a different level than the rest for me. It's not like the 7 can't get upset, but you know. I've been a local Poly fan for 40 years, but I don't think they deserve #3. Playoffs yes, seed no (so far). Special teams has improved a little, but they're still going for 4th and 4's inside the 20 and allowing some longer runbacks.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Why is Montana ranked ahead of Weber State when Montana got their tails kick in Ogden?

Montana won is SLO, but that game could have gone either way. In fact Cal Poly had 421 yards of offense against the Griz compared to the Griz 316 yards of offense. Hats off to Montana for the win, but don't act as if you dominated Cal Poly.

Green Laser
November 3rd, 2008, 08:27 PM
I don't know how Montana is ranked below Poly.
Montana beat Poly in San Luis Obispo, was a little shakey early in the season but is really on a roll now. Montana has improved throughout the season and I'm not so sure you can say the same about Poly. I am not convinced the Poly's 3 point victory over San Diego State is that significant. Comparing the strength of schedule Montana has a clear edge. Montana's only loss was to Weber State, (another underrated team)
a team that has not lost to any FCS team. I think that Montana is clearly a better team at this point than Poly. If they had a rematch in the playoffs my money is on Montana.

RabidRabbit
November 3rd, 2008, 08:29 PM
Cal Poly, like Weber St. or Eastern Washington set a very difficult road to remaining play-off eligible due to playing 2 FBS. At least the Stangs on played a transitional conference mate, not true D-II.

Unfortunately, with the loss of McNeese game due to Hurricane Ike, the Stangs have no margin for losses to FCS. They are a dynamic offensive machine, and a successful stunting defense.

The Stangs are #3, and that's basically due to no opportunity to play CAA or SoCon team this year.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Why is Montana ranked ahead of Weber State when Montana got their tails kick in Ogden?

Montana won is SLO, but that game could have gone either way. In fact Cal Poly had 421 yards of offense against the Griz compared to the Griz 316 yards of offense. Hats off to Montana for the win, but don't act as if you dominated Cal Poly.

I don't think anyone has asserted that the Griz dominated Poly. One can't say that with a straight face. And as for why Weber is still below Montana, I think there's a lot of us still asking that question. They should be ahead of Montana.

LehighFan11
November 3rd, 2008, 08:34 PM
West teams are simple:
Poly
Weber
Montana

malibudude
November 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
I don't know how Montana is ranked below Poly.
Montana beat Poly in San Luis Obispo, was a little shakey early in the season but is really on a roll now. Montana has improved throughout the season and I'm not so sure you can say the same about Poly. I am not convinced the Poly's 3 point victory over San Diego State is that significant. Comparing the strength of schedule Montana has a clear edge. Montana's only loss was to Weber State, (another underrated team)
a team that has not lost to any FCS team. I think that Montana is clearly a better team at this point than Poly. If they had a rematch in the playoffs my money is on Montana.

It was 2 points not 3. SDSU was a pretty decent team when they played CP. They lost three DL lineman in the game and the rest of the line was lost versus ND. The Aztecs are a shell of a team now. Remember SDSU had 9 months to prepare for a revenge game with CP, we did beat them in 2006.

tingly
November 3rd, 2008, 08:51 PM
Weber is voted so low because they were unranked at the time of the Montana game. Getting a poll panel to suddenly go from no vote to a top 10 vote is impossible.

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
Weber is voted so low because they were unranked at the time of the Montana game.

And because they haven't played an OOC FCS opponent. Oh, and all three of their wins against the BSC's bottom-feeders (8-17 combined records) were by 10 points or less.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 09:23 PM
Weber is voted so low because they were unranked at the time of the Montana game. Getting a poll panel to suddenly go from no vote to a top 10 vote is impossible.

It's been four weeks since then. They've proven that the Griz game was more than a fluke. They've been consistent against decent opponents.

And because they haven't played an OOC FCS opponent. Oh, and all three of their wins against BSC bottom-feeders (8-17 combined records) were by 10 points or less.

Implying what? That since they squeaked it by the bottom feeders, that must mean that they can't compete with the teams at the top on the conference, right? Oh wait. Wrong.

appstate38
November 3rd, 2008, 09:24 PM
I am a little troubled by the lofty ranking for Cal Poly.... Yes they are having a great year. The loss to Montana is a bit of a concern because Montana has a consistent record in the top 25. Plus I would have liked to had seen Cal Poly play McNeese. Missing that game kinda hurts the SOS in my opinion. It is just hard for me to get on the Cal Poly or Weber St. band wagon mainly because they are relative new comers to the top 10. Plus I have visions of NDSU in my head where they were the darlings of the FCS last year and had lofty expectations this year and came up far short of them. If you don't like my take then just call it East Coast Bias. xsmiley_wix

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 09:30 PM
I am a little troubled by the lofty ranking for Cal Poly.... Yes they are having a great year. The loss to Montana is a bit of a concern because Montana has a consistent record in the top 25. Plus I would have liked to had seen Cal Poly play McNeese. Missing that game kinda hurts the SOS in my opinion. It is just hard for me to get on the Cal Poly or Weber St. band wagon mainly because they are relative new comers to the top 10. Plus I have visions of NDSU in my head where they were the darlings of the FCS last year and had lofty expectations this year and came up far short of them. If you don't like my take then just call it East Coast Bias. xsmiley_wix

That may work for Weber but Cal Poly was definitely there last year.

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 09:36 PM
I have to respect Weber's beating of the Griz, but you have to look at their complete body of work. As NAU falls from grace, Montana is slowly becoming their only quality win of the season.

WSU did lose to two FBS teams, but both were by more than two touchdowns (and if you look at the recaps for both of those games, they weren't even that close).

tingly
November 3rd, 2008, 09:37 PM
It's been four weeks since then. They've proven that the Griz game was more than a fluke. They've been consistent against decent opponents.

They're only going to move based on the previous week's game. If you're ranked much higher than another team early on, the other team is gonna lag behind in the polls. If you lose in week 2 and a similar-ranked team loses in week 9, you'll end up ranked higher. It's the problem with polls and the reality. It also doesn't matter because the seeding committee only looks at them for what conferences get automatic at-large berths.

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2008, 09:38 PM
What are you considering Western in that case?

West Coast states, not Midwest.

appstate38

Looked on the Sports Network Top 25 rankings back to 1996. Cal Poly appears in 97 and then they don't make another appearance until 2004 and they have been more consistent since then but they fall way short of the consistancy of other programs that are there year in and year out. So I will stand by my original statement.xpeacex

Poly Pigskin

Yep, we were first ranked in the top 10 in 2005, if I remember correctly.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 09:39 PM
Looked on the Sports Network Top 25 rankings back to 1996. Cal Poly appears in 97 and then they don't make another appearance until 2004 and they have been more consistent since then but they fall way short of the consistancy of other programs that are there year in and year out. So I will stand by my original statement.xpeacex

All I remembered was that they were in the playoffs a couple years ago because the Griz played them and last year they had the top offense in the nation so they must've had some recognition?

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 09:41 PM
They're only going to move based on the previous week's game. If you're ranked much higher than another team, they're gonna lag behind in the polls. If you lose in week 2 and a similar-ranked team loses in week 9, you'll end up ranked higher. It's the problem with polls and the reality. It also doesn't matter because the seeding committee only looks at them for what conferences get automatic at-large berths.

I mean in all reality, I'm not really worried about Weber being poorly placed in the polls. Being underrated or overlooked mostly works in one's favor once they're in the playoffs, and they are.

appstate38
November 3rd, 2008, 09:42 PM
All I remembered was that they were in the playoffs a couple years ago because the Griz played them and last year they had the top offense in the nation so they must've had some recognition?

I have no problem saying they are a good team. But I am unwilling at this point to call them an elite FCS team. Are the Griz an elite team... Yes. Is Cal Poly there yet. No I don't think so.

EAST COAST BIAS!

tingly
November 3rd, 2008, 09:44 PM
Northern Arizona was a pretty good win for Weber. NAU still has a slim-to-none shot at the playoffs.

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM
I have no problem saying they are a good team. But I am unwilling at this point to call them an elite FCS team. Are the Griz an elite team... Yes. Is Cal Poly there yet. No I don't think so.

EAST COAST BIAS!

Say Cal Poly's kicker hits that 99/100 chip shot vs. Montana. What do you think then?

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM

EAST COAST BIAS!

An elite team by pedigree? Most would say no. An elite team on the field? It's hard to deny it at this moment.

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 09:55 PM
An elite team by pedigree? Most would say no. An elite team on the field? It's hard to deny it at this moment.

An elite team by perception? of course xrolleyesx

And the San Diego St. argument (they were expected to be good) holds little merit in my eyes. Thats like saying that (hypothetically) if Duke went on to win the ACC this season, JMU losing to them should still look bad because they were expected to suck this year.

All in all, they still haven't beaten anybody yet.

Will they get in... probably
Should they get in...ehh
Should they be #3...not a chance

Heres an interesting tidbit...

Combined win-loss record of victories: 19-33 xeekx

Poly Pigskin
November 3rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Say Cal Poly's kicker hits that 99/100 chip shot vs. Montana. What do you think then?

I would say our kicker is nowhere near that good. I'd put him closer to 70% at that distance...maybe.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
I think that JMU and App. State are the undisputed top two teams. I think that after them you could make a case for any of the following teams to be as high as the three spot:

Cal Poly
Montana
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Villanova
Weber State

appstate38
November 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM

Gee I don't know, the Apps block a FG against Michigan to win. Does it make us an elite FBS team??? NO!

I want to see you guys do this when it really counts.... In the Playoffs.

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Because at the end of the day...thats all that matters

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM

As far as I know, nobody's done anything in the playoffs yet.

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
As far as I know, nobody's done it in the playoffs yet.

Nope and thats what makes it so great xnodx

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 10:07 PM
...But the real point is that the SDSU _ Poly game, as played, should not have been a 2 point Poly win. Poly was clearly the best team that day. Poly should have won by 2 or more TDs.

In the 2 point loss to Montana, again, Poly was clearly the best team on the field. A couple of mistakes (including the miss of a chip-shot field goal) and Poly lost the game...

Coulda woulda shoulda, in the loss the loser was clearly the better team...

PUHLEEESE! You have a great team! xbowx xbowx

Don't demean their real accomplishments with this kind of BS. xrolleyesx

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 10:11 PM
I would say our kicker is nowhere near that good. I'd put him closer to 70% at that distance...maybe.

In this you are probably correct. How hard is it to recruit a decent kicker? Doesn't Cal Poly have a strong soccer program? I'm sure there are some futbol redshirts who could help us.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I have to respect Weber's beating of the Griz, but you have to look at their complete body of work. As NAU falls from grace, Montana is slowly becoming their only quality win of the season.

WSU did lose to two FBS teams, but both were by more than two touchdowns (and if you look at the recaps for both of those games, they weren't even that close).

I agree that the Utah game wasn't as close as the score for Weber, but the Hawaii game was Weber's to lose for a while. Weber was up 17-7 at the half, down 17-29 at the end of 3 and lost by 19. Being up at half just means Hawaii made better half time adjustments (changed QBs for one). Utah was never really close until the end, and not even then.

I think Weber has the potential to be pretty good, they just have to keep their game in check and be consistent(have so far) and they will have one of their best years in a long time. How far they go is up to their consistency in my opinion.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM
In this you are probably correct. How hard is it to recruit a decent kicker? Doesn't Cal Poly have a strong soccer program? I'm sure there are some futbol redshirts who could help us.

Just pull a Texas Tech and grab the first person to win the make a 30 yard field goal contest. They're not doin so bad right now I'd say.

DSUrocks07
November 3rd, 2008, 10:16 PM

Not every soccer player can be Martín Gramática xlolx
And most of the great kickers are scooped up by FBS schools faster than you can blink.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 10:18 PM
Gee I don't know, the Apps block a FG against Michigan to win. Does it make us an elite FBS team??? NO!

Cal Poly went into Missoula and knocked off Montana 35-21 in the playoffs in 2005. They then went on the road the next week to San Marcos and came up 7 points short of the semi-finals losing to Texas State 14-7 (Cal Poly fumbled on their own 1 yard line). Cal Poly held a Texas State team to 14 points. Texas State scored 50 on #6 Georgia Southern and 37 on #7 Northern Iowa in the playoffs that year.

Cal Poly has come up one game short of the playoffs the last two years and should have been invited in 2004 when they were 9-2. Cal Poly the last five years have gone 9-2, 9-4, 7-4, 7-4 and 6-1 so far this year.

Stang Fever
November 3rd, 2008, 10:22 PM

I am a fan of football and not a HOMER and I would agree that the order should be Weber St, Montana then Cal Poly. but we all know how rankings go. You simply move up as others infront of you loose. Cal Poly does have one of the best offensives in the nation and an average defense. However I believe we are at the min. a top 5 team.
I truely believe Cal Poly would have beat McNeese st and at the time they were in the top 10. I wish that game would have happened

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I think that JMU and App. State are the undisputed top two teams. I think that after them you could make a case for any of the following teams to be as high as the three spot:

Cal Poly
Montana
Northern Iowa
Richmond
Villanova
Weber State

Yup. xthumbsupx

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2008, 10:23 PM
I've posted this three times but for those who missed it. The Cal Poly kicker wasn't at fault on the missed field goal. It was the snapper. The snap was way high and by the time the holder got it down the timing was all farked up.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 10:27 PM
I am a fan of football and not a HOMER and I would agree that the order should be Weber St, Montana then Cal Poly. but we all know how rankings go. You simply move up as others infront of you loose. Cal Poly does have one of the best offensives in the nation and an average defense. However I believe we are at the min. a top 5 team....

Well we sure have three of the best quarterbacks in the nation:

1. J. Dally Cal Poly 203.51
2. C. Bergquist Montana 180.24
3. A. Edwards App St 173.65
4. C. Higgins Weber St 173.38

(QB ratings from espn) http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/statistics?group=81

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 10:28 PM
I've posted this three times but for those who missed it. The Cal Poly kicker wasn't at fault on the missed field goal. It was the snapper. The snap was way high and by the time the holder got it down the timing was all farked up.

Good catch, Ronbo. Contrary to popular belief, placekicking is a TEAM sport.

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 10:32 PM
I agree that the Utah game wasn't as close as the score for Weber, but the Hawaii game was Weber's to lose for a while. Weber was up 17-7 at the half, down 17-29 at the end of 3 and lost by 19. Being up at half just means Hawaii made better half time adjustments (changed QBs for one).

If you saw the game, you would know better than I would. The recap I read--which was probably drafted by Hawaii's SID--made it sound like Hawaii just had to change QBs and the game was over.

Still, the total yards were skewed badly (438-213) in favor of UH, and Weber was minus-20 on the ground for the game.

tingly
November 3rd, 2008, 10:34 PM
NCAA stats http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IAA&site=org

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 3rd, 2008, 10:36 PM
If you saw the game, you would know better than I would. The recap I read made it sound like Hawaii just had to change QBs and the game was over.

Still, the total yards were skewed badly (438-213) in favor of UH, and Weber was minus-20 on the ground for the game.

It kind of was that way, change QBs and it was a different game. But watching it made it feel like it wasn't over with until about 5 minutes to go. I watched Weber play Utah as well, first few minutes were interesting, then the writing was on the wall xpeacex

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 10:39 PM
NCAA stats http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IAA&site=org

Brilliant. That is so bookmarked.

Stang Fever
November 3rd, 2008, 10:40 PM
Cal Poly Number 1 scoring team in the nation

Stang Fever
November 3rd, 2008, 10:41 PM
1. Tulsa 52.0
2. Oklahoma 49.8
3. Texas Tech 47.0
4. Missouri 45.6
5. Cal Poly 45.4

In all of Div I. pretty good company to keep

tingly
November 3rd, 2008, 10:45 PM
I try to keep in mind that they're partly #1 offense from not having to plow through CAA teams every week. I found the stats site last week. Here's the front page for stats. Great West doesn't count as a conference for stats so they're lumped in with indies. http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/mainpage.jsp

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 10:57 PM

It's harder than you think. The futbol kickers don't care much for the pointy-ended orb, and can't easily adapt without a kicking coach. (No, not some former defensive end who punted once and now coaches special teams - I mean a real placekicking coach.)

The new kicker Texas Tech picked up mid-season in the famous student contest had already kicked successfully at the Division II level. He was not just a fresh faced soccer walk-on.

Why the Red Raiders originally recruited Donnie Carona is beyond me (well, I've got some ideas). Yes, he has pretty good leg strength, but has never had consistency of results in competitions or high school, which is what got him fired from red zone kicks at Tech. The genius Leach is not the first college head coach who does not understand placekicking, but it is a mystery to me why even big prestigious programs so thoroughly misunderstand and neglect this third of the game.

There aren't many good kickers with the right mix of confidence, mechanics, efficiency, speed to the ball, kick height, leg strength, football smarts and consistency. (OK, so efficiency, kick height and consistency are really part of good mechanics).

If there were so many great kickers out there, Montana's recruiting machine/magnet would have found one already, and half of the FBS teams wouldn't have such mediocre kickers.

In the Big Sky, Montana State picked up a real crackerjack in freshman placekicker Jason Cunningham, who will complete for all-conference over the next four years if the wheels don't fall completely off of the Bobcat offense.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 10:59 PM
Cal Poly Number 1 scoring team in the nation

We all know this...

poly51
November 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
I am a fan of football and not a HOMER and I would agree that the order should be Weber St, Montana then Cal Poly. but we all know how rankings go. You simply move up as others infront of you loose. Cal Poly does have one of the best offensives in the nation and an average defense. However I believe we are at the min. a top 5 team.
I truely believe Cal Poly would have beat McNeese st and at the time they were in the top 10. I wish that game would have happened

The Cal Poly defense gets a bit of a bum rap. They are better than averge but operate at a disadvantge.

Cal Poly is number 1 in scoring in FCS but ony number 9 in first downs. That means they score quickly and often. Every time they score that puts the defense back on the field.

Also 4 of their 7 games have been blowouts so the 2nd and 3rd strings saw lot of playing time in the 4th quarters.

WyomingGrizFan
November 4th, 2008, 02:20 AM
Well, as far as arguing over 'what ifs,' and all that. I'll tell you what Cal Poly. If you win out over Wisconsin the last regular season game, I'd say, well, I guess so, #3 in the FCS Poll.

(But damn!!! couldn't they have talked McNeese St into going to Cal Poly instead, knowing the weather report? I guess that would have been too much to expect, travel arrangements and all. I would have luv'd seeing Cal Poly running roughshot.)

Tod
November 4th, 2008, 03:49 AM
It's harder than you think. The futbol kickers don't care much for the pointy-ended orb, and can't easily adapt without a kicking coach. (No, not some former defensive end who punted once and now coaches special teams - I mean a real placekicking coach.)

The new kicker Texas Tech picked up mid-season in the famous contest had already kicked successfully at the Division II level. Why the Red Raiders originally picked Donnie Carona is beyond me. Yes, he has pretty good leg strength, but has never had consistency of results in competitions or high school, which is what got him fired from red zone kicks at Tech. The genius Leach is not the first college head coach who does not understand placekicking, but it is a mystery to me why even big prestigious programs so thoroughly misunderstand and neglect this third of the game.

There aren't many good kickers with the right mix of confidence, mechanics, efficiency, speed to the ball, kick height, leg strength, football smarts and consistency. (OK, so efficiency, kick height and consistency are really part of good mechanics).

If there were so many great kickers out there, Montana's recruiting machine/magnet would have found one already, and half of the FBS teams wouldn't have such mediocre kickers.

In the Big Sky, Montana State picked up a real crackerjack in freshman placekicker Jason Cunningham, who will complete for all-conference over the next four years if the wheels don't fall completely off of the Bobcat offense.

I think we do alright. Our previous kicker, Dan Carpenter, is now the starter for the Miami Dolphins. He's also the highest scorer in the history of I-AA/FCS football.

Our kicker before him, Chris Snyder, was the previous I-AA record holder for most points scored, but wasn't able to make an NFL team.

We'll be ok in that department, no worries. xcoffeex

uofmman1122
November 4th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I think we do alright. Our previous kicker, Dan Carpenter, is now the starter for the Miami Dolphins. He's also the highest scorer in the history of I-AA/FCS football.

Our kicker before him, Chris Snyder, was the previous I-AA record holder for most points scored, but wasn't able to make an NFL team.

We'll be ok in that department, no worries. xcoffeexBrody McKnight, our current kicker, is showing very nice promise.

He'll become just as valuable in the coming years.

gbhmt
November 4th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Of all of the blasphemies in this world, Chris Snyder not making the NFL is right up at the top of the list. The guy would kickoff and it'd go through the uprights.

Native
November 4th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Carpenter and Snyder were the real deal for sure! xthumbsupx

But Montana has NOT been OK in the kicking department this year. In fact, the Grizz are among the worst in the Big Sky.

8 of 13 field goals (6 of 10 in the red zone) and 37 of 41 PATs are absolutely dismal numbers for any team, let alone a championship team. Only Northern Colorado has fewer touchbacks on kickoff, fewer yards on KO, or worse net average yards on KO. xsmhx

Brody McKnight may turn out to be great but he has yet to establish himself even as an average placekicker and is certainly not championship caliber.

uofmman1122
November 4th, 2008, 09:39 AM

But Montana has NOT been OK in the kicking department this year. In fact, the Grizz are among the worst in the Big Sky.

8 of 13 field goals (6 of 10 in the red zone) and 37 of 41 PATs are absolutely dismal numbers for any team, let alone a championship team. Only Northern Colorado has fewer touchbacks on kickoff, fewer yards on KO, or worse net average yards on KO. xsmhx

Brody McKnight may turn out to be great but he has yet to establish himself even as an average placekicker and is certainly not championship caliber.WTF do you expect from a freshman kicker? xnonono2x

Jesus, I'd say he's doing pretty darn well, considering we could have Cal Poly's kicking problems.

Cut him some slack. I doubt there are many freshman kickers, if at all, who are expected to have stellar numbers in their first season. Christ, Snyder and Carpenter weren't great their freshman years.

If we don't win a championship, it certainly won't fall on McKnight's shoulders. xrolleyesx

Ronbo
November 4th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Brody McKnight may turn out to be great but he has yet to establish himself even as an average placekicker and is certainly not championship caliber.

Brody couldn't play for the first two games because of some credits transfer issue. We had another guy kicking that went 1-3 on field goals. Of the 3 or so kicks Brody has missed I think two were blocks where the snap was bad and by the time the ball got down there were guys through the line. He's only missed one that I'm aware of where the snap was good. On the kickoffs he usually puts it down in the 5-7 yard line. Hauck does a pooch kick all the time that kills our kickers yardage average. I've seen Brody put it in the end zone 3-4 times and as just a freshman I'm sure his leg will get stronger as he matures. The extra points missed have all been bad snaps too.

Native
November 4th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Brody couldn't play for the first two games because of some credits transfer issue. We had another guy kicking that went 1-3 on field goals. Of the 3 or so kicks Brody has missed I think two were blocks where the snap was bad and by the time the ball got down there were guys through the line. He's only missed one that I'm aware of where the snap was good. On the kickoffs he usually puts it down in the 5-7 yard line. Hauck does a pooch kick all the time that kills our kickers yardage average. I've seen Brody put it in the end zone 3-4 times and as just a freshman I'm sure his leg will get stronger as he matures. The extra points missed have all been bad snaps too.

Yup. Kicking is a team sport. We have also had some snapper and holder issues in the kicking game.

What is Brody's hang time on KO? Can he go directional? WHat is his FG range?

Green26
November 4th, 2008, 10:33 AM
McNight is 6-9. He is 2-2 from 40-49, with a long of 46.

He has had one blocked. He missed 2 in a windy day at EWU. One was blown sideways by the wind. One was a miss.

He has reasonable, but not great, distance on kickoffs. He is reasonably able to place it around the field. He often doesn't have good hangtime.

He has nice potential.

UM also used a 3rd kicker in one game early in the season, a senior who hadn't kicked since high school.

UM changed personnel on the line after 2 blocks in one game earlier in the season.

I believe former UM kicker Chris Snyder would still have the I-AA and UM records for points, had the ncaa counted playoff games in his frosh and soph year. The rule changed after his soph year. I believe UM went to the nat'l championship in both of those years, so he lost 8 games of scoring.

dprichar
November 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Well, as far as arguing over 'what ifs,' and all that. I'll tell you what Cal Poly. If you win out over Wisconsin the last regular season game, I'd say, well, I guess so, #3 in the FCS Poll.

Thanks for being so generous. If we win out and somehow upset Wisconsin (I give us a 5-10% chance). We better be #1. Other people have done the numbers before, but the FCS over BCS win percentage is pretty much zero. If we somehow pull that off that would be worth more than a #3.

Ronbo
November 4th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Yup. Kicking is a team sport. We have also had some snapper and holder issues in the kicking game.

What is Brody's hang time on KO? Can he go directional? WHat is his FG range?

He needs work on getting the ball higher. His longest kicks that made the end zone have been line drive type kicks. He has a right to left hook on his ball but he knows how to play that. The Coaches are comfortable to about 45 yards with Brody. He has a long of 46 yards and is 2-2 in the 40+ range.

Native
November 4th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks for being so generous. If we win out and somehow upset Wisconsin (I give us a 5-10% chance). We better be #1. Other people have done the numbers before, but the FCS over BCS win percentage is pretty much zero. If we somehow pull that off that would be worth more than a #3.

If Cal Poly pulls off a second win over an FBS opponent I will be truly impressed. I hope you do!
xthumbsupx

Green26
November 4th, 2008, 10:54 AM
If Cal Poly beats Wisconsin, and the other top teams win out, I wouldn't move to CP up at all. Beating an okay but not very good I-A is a nice accomplishment for a I-AA team, but it's not something that should result in a very good team (which doesn't have many quality wins) leapfrogging over two teams that have played a tougher schedule (and kept winning).

Stang Fever
November 4th, 2008, 10:57 AM
If Cal Poly beats Wisconsin, and the other top teams win out, I wouldn't move to CP up at all. Beating an okay but not very good I-A is a nice accomplishment for a I-AA team, but it's not something that should result in a very good team (which doesn't have many quality wins) leapfrogging over two teams that have played a tougher schedule (and kept winning).

Your crazy You believe Wiscon. is a push over???

Green26
November 4th, 2008, 11:12 AM
No, I don't believe Wisconsin is a pushover, but they are not a great team either.

Had CP beaten Wisconsin at the start of the season, and then lost to Montana, then I would say CP deserved its no. 3 ranking now.

However, CP hasn't done that, and I don't know what justifies CP's no. 3 ranking now. San Diego St. is a bad team. CP should have beaten then by 2 TD's.

Wisconsin is 4-5 with wins over Akron (4-4), Marshall (4-4), Fresno (by 3 points; Fresno is 5-3) and Illinois (5-4).

Green26
November 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Question (for App St fans):

Last year, where was App St in the polls after it lost its first game? I assume it didn't remain no. 1.

Michigan was 9-4 last year--and better, or much better, than Wisconsin appears to be this year.

LehighFan11
November 4th, 2008, 11:37 AM
No, I don't believe Wisconsin is a pushover, but they are not a great team either.

Had CP beaten Wisconsin at the start of the season, and then lost to Montana, then I would say CP deserved its no. 3 ranking now.

However, CP hasn't done that, and I don't know what justifies CP's no. 3 ranking now. San Diego St. is a bad team. CP should have beaten then by 2 TD's.

Wisconsin is 4-5 with wins over Akron (4-4), Marshall (4-4), Fresno (by 3 points; Fresno is 5-3) and Illinois (5-4).

Man he's hating on Poly. Wisconsin would destroy almost all FCS teams. No matter how many games hey might lose, they still have alot more meat on those lines and speed on the corners.

malibudude
November 4th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Man he's hating on Poly. Wisconsin would destroy almost all FCS teams. No matter how many games hey might lose, they still have alot more meat on those lines and speed on the corners.

Concur on Wisconsin. He/she does not really seem to like/respect the ol' Stangs very much.

tingly
November 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I pretty much agree with him and I've gone to stangs games for 40 years. If Poly beats Wisconsin, I wouldn't think they were better than JMU/ASU. I'd think either they got a little bit lucky or the top 2 could do the same thing and maybe better. A big win doesn't automatically rate a jump. Game results only do if it shows they're better than was thought. If a low-ranked or unranked team has a close loss to the #1, sometimes they gain poll points. If Wofford lost by 3 to ASU, they shoulda stayed where they were ranked, cuz they lived up to their ranking. They didn't, so they got flushed.

If Poly looks equal to Wisconsin and beats them, then sure, move them up to #2 or #1 unless Wisconsin is even worse than people think

slostang
November 4th, 2008, 01:46 PM
I would have no problem if Cal Poly were ranked 7th or 8th. It is after all on opinion poll and arguements could be made for other teams to be ranked in the third spot. I believe Cal Poly is ranked that high because they have one of the best offenses in the FCS. I also think that there are not a lot of teams that would want to draw Cal Poly in SLO in the first round.

Green26
November 4th, 2008, 02:23 PM
I like Cal Poly. As I said earlier, they have a very good team. I doubt that there are many non-CP fans who have seen CP play more in person in the past 7 or 8 years than I have--other than people who regularly attend their home games.

I'm only questioning whether the no. 3 ranking is deserved. I understand how polls work, and agree with an early post that discussed how CP got to the no. 3 ranking, i.e. early season loss, etc.

Even a CP poster has said he would have no problem being ranked no. 7 or 8. I don't think I'd put them that low, but I wouldn't have them at no. 3.

tingly
November 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
The only good argument for putting Poly 3rd is if Montana happened to catch them on a bad day. I wouldn't say that, but it could be.

Stang Fever
November 4th, 2008, 02:47 PM
I like Cal Poly. As I said earlier, they have a very good team. I doubt that there are many non-CP fans who have seen CP play more in person in the past 7 or 8 years than I have--other than people who regularly attend their home games.

I'm only questioning whether the no. 3 ranking is deserved. I understand how polls work, and agree with an early post that discussed how CP got to the no. 3 ranking, i.e. early season loss, etc.

Even a CP poster has said he would have no problem being ranked no. 7 or 8. I don't think I'd put them that low, but I wouldn't have them at no. 3.

Valid points made here. I see Poly as a TOP 5 TEAm hands down, regardless of the L to Montana we are a good team. PERIOD

ThreadStopper
November 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM
The great thing about the FCS is the playoffs! Rank Poly where you wish just let them into the dance. It is going to be hard for any team to out score the Mustangs.

Why is Cal Poly playing Wisconsin at the last game of the year? Because it is the only game they could get. FCS ADs around the country seem to be ranking the Mustangs pretty high by avoiding them! How about a non-conference home and home series with Appy State? That would give us something to talk about.:)

Native
November 5th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I would have no problem if Cal Poly were ranked 7th or 8th. It is after all on opinion poll and arguements could be made for other teams to be ranked in the third spot. I believe Cal Poly is ranked that high because they have one of the best offenses in the FCS. I also think that there are not a lot of teams that would want to draw Cal Poly in SLO in the first round.

Sagarin ranks Cal Poly #8.

Syntax Error
November 5th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Sagarin ranks Cal Poly #8.??? Sagarin doesn't take into account the non-D-I opponents of FCS. So... SO WHAT SAG. GPI #4.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 10:32 PM
??? Sagarin doesn't take into account the non-D-I opponents of FCS. So... SO WHAT SAG.

What is your point?

...that Sagarin's thousands of data points are less accurate and objective than someone's opinion? xnonox

...that someone's opinion based on five or six favorite data points is more valid than Sagarin? xrolleyesx

The seeding committee takes Sagarin into accouunt. xcoolx

Syntax Error
November 5th, 2008, 10:40 PM
What is your point?
...that Sagarin's thousands of data points are less accurate and objective than someone's opinion? xnonox
...that someone's opinion based on five or six favorite data points is more valid than Sagarin? xrolleyesx
The seeding committee takes Sagarin into accouunt.Point is Sag is not relevant for FCS, it is an FBS thing. The NCAA does not take Sag into account. They take the GPI into account though.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 10:42 PM
Point is Sag is not relevant for FCS, it is an FBS thing. The NCAA does not take Sag into account. They take the GPI into account though.

Sagarin takes all 245 Division 1 teams (both FBS and FCS) into account.

Sagarin is also one of seven computer rankings used to establish the Gridiron Power Index, along with Massey, Sauceda, the Laz Index, Self, Ashburn and Keeper. The GPI also eliminates the top and bottom computer rankings, then adds in the Sports Writers poll, FCS coaches poll, and the ANY GIVEN SATURDAY poll.

Syntax Error
November 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Sagarin takes all 245 Division 1 teams (both FBS and FCS) into account.How many Division I teams does your team play? Do you play non-D-I teams? Follow me?

tingly
November 5th, 2008, 10:45 PM
The championship handbook mentions 2 polls and 3 or 4 computer ratings. Sagarin isn't one of them. It only mentions the polls/ratings for determining what conferences get automatic at-large berths. For determining who gets in the playoffs, it talks about record, schedule strength, playing all-D-I's, stuff like that.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 10:55 PM
How many Division I teams does your team play? Do you play non-D-I teams? Follow me?

Weber plays ten D-1 teams this year.

Syntax Error
November 5th, 2008, 11:01 PM
The championship handbook mentions 2 polls and 3 or 4 computer ratings. Sagarin isn't one of them. It only mentions the polls/ratings for determining what conferences get automatic at-large berths. For determining who gets in the playoffs, it talks about record, schedule strength, playing all-D-I's, stuff like that.http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/champ_handbooks/football/2008/1_football_handbook.pdf

6. For those conferences that qualify for automatic qualification but do not receive it, a guaranteed at-large position shall be awarded in any year in which its conference champion team meets all of the following conditions:
a. Team wins a minimum of eight Division I games during the season;
b. Team wins a minimum of two nonconference games against Division I teams representing a conference that has earned an automatic qualification in that year;
and
c. Team finishes the season ranked 16 or higher in an average of the last regularseason media, coaches and/or computer polls (which will be determined by the committee on an annual basis). For 2008, the media poll will be the Sports Network Poll, the coaches poll will be the FCS Coaches poll and the computer poll will be a variation of the Gridiron Power Index – using only the followingcomputer rankings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings, Self Rankings and the Laz Index.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
How many Division I teams does your team play? Do you play non-D-I teams? Follow me?

The non D1 teams do not count one way or the other, except that playing non D1 teams reduces the chances of obtaining the minimum number of wins.

Syntax Error
November 5th, 2008, 11:04 PM
Weber plays ten D-1 teams this year.So what percentage of your schedule is not rated by Sag? What games of your opponents are not rated? How many OOC games does WSU play? Follow me? That is why Sag is not relevant.

Poly Pigskin
November 5th, 2008, 11:05 PM
What is your point?

The seeding committee takes Sagarin into accouunt. xcoolx

All you have to do is look at SOS to realize that Sagarin is whacked. It gets FCS schools in the right ballpark, which is all that's needed to rank FBS. It's not even close to the best way to rank FCS schools.

Native
November 5th, 2008, 11:25 PM
So what percentage of your schedule is not rated by Sag? What games of your opponents are not rated? How many OOC games does WSU play? Follow me? That is why Sag is not relevant.

83% of the Weber schedule is not rated by Sagarin, including 2 non D1 games, and all ten D1 games and opponents are rated by Sagarin BUT I take your point that Sagarin is not one of the computer ratings considered by the NCAA. Thanks. :)

Native
November 5th, 2008, 11:28 PM
All you have to do is look at SOS to realize that Sagarin is whacked. It gets FCS schools in the right ballpark, which is all that's needed to rank FBS. It's not even close to the best way to rank FCS schools.

...and the best way to rate strength of schedule is...? ...because?...

Native
November 5th, 2008, 11:34 PM
Point is Sag is not relevant for FCS, it is an FBS thing. The NCAA does not take Sag into account. They take the GPI into account though.

According to the handbook, only a variation of the Gridiron Power Index is used, calculated using only the following computer ratings: The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings, Self Rankings and the Laz Index.

Thank you for the link to the NCAA handbook in another post! xthumbsupx

Native
November 5th, 2008, 11:58 PM

Sagarin calculates FCS in the same data pool as FBS and uses the exact same methodology. As Syntax pointed out, however, Sagarin is not used by the NCAA, but Massey is used by the NCAA.

Massey ratings return remarkably similar results to the Sagarin ratings, except that CP's Massey rating is one rank lower than its Sagarin rating. As of 02 November this is how Massey rates the FCS:

1 James Madison
2 Appalachian State
3 Villanova
4 Montana
5 Weber State
6 Richmond
7 Wofford
8 Cal Poly
9 Elon
10 New Hampshire
11 UMass
12 William & Mary
13 Furman
14 Maine
15 Northern Iowa
16 Central Arkansas (ineligible in 2008)
17 Georgia Southern
18 Northern Arizona
19 Southern Illinois
20 Northwestern Louisiana

tingly
November 5th, 2008, 11:59 PM
They don't say how they get their version of the GPI. GPI tosses out the top and bottom, but I suspect NCAA doesn't.

If Sagarin tosses out non D-I opponents, he overrates a heck of a lot of FCS schedules. The seeding committee includes those games.

tingly
November 6th, 2008, 12:00 AM
Here's lots of ratings. Pick a favorite :)
http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

tingly
November 6th, 2008, 12:03 AM
for top 10 this week, I like Rothman best

Native
November 6th, 2008, 12:21 AM
They don't say how they get their version of the GPI. GPI tosses out the top and bottom, but I suspect NCAA doesn't.

If Sagarin tosses out non D-I opponents, he overrates a heck of a lot of FCS schedules. The seeding committee includes those games.

Syntax sent the link to this year's manual. In the manual, I could not find the methodology for how the top four seeds are selected, but for at-large selections, the manual specifies which computer ratings and polls will be used: the Sports Network poll, the FCS Coaches poll, and a version of the GPI which inlcudes only The Massey Ratings, Wolfe Rankings, Ashburn Rankings, Self Rankings and the Laz Index.

Native
November 6th, 2008, 12:25 AM
http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htm

Thanks, Tingly! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Native
November 6th, 2008, 12:33 AM
For 01 November, here are the five compute ratings for Cal Poly, as listed in the NCAA handbook, used to calculate the NCAA version of the Gridiron Power Index which is considered by the selection committee for at large playoff bids:

Massey CP#7
Wolfe CP#7
Ashburn CP#10
Self CP#7
Laz Index CP#7

Syntax Error
November 6th, 2008, 12:49 AM
http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare1aa.htmI'll take the #1 GPI. CP is 4T.

Modified GPI:
Massey (MB) CP#8
Wolfe CP#7
Ashburn (ABC) CP#10
Self CP#7
Laz Index CP#7

Syntax Error
November 6th, 2008, 12:56 AM
... used to calculate the NCAA version of the Gridiron Power Index which is considered by the selection committee for at large playoff bids...Only for the bridge AQ... ie. the NEC this year