PDA

View Full Version : Duplicate jersey numbers

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Looking around at various rosters, I've noticed that there are sometimes more than one player on a team with the same number.

Are there specific rules on that?
Like only one player with that number can suit up for a particular game, or only one of them can be on the field at a time, or something like that?

clenz
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Looking around at various rosters, I've noticed that there are sometimes more than one player on a team with the same number.

Are there specific rules on that?
Like only one player with that number can suit up for a particular game, or only one of them can be on the field at a time, or something like that?

As far as I know as long as they are on different sides of the ball (offense/defense, defense/special teams, offense/special teams) it is legal.

I know fOSU has Pryor and Jenkins both with #2

It could just be on at a time though, not sure

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
Only one can be on the field at the same time. You can have multiple players with the same number though.

Anovafan
November 3rd, 2008, 08:44 PM
I wondered the same thing watching the Texas-Texas Tech game when I saw a number 12 on defense for Texas blow the tackle on the last play of the game. Interesting rule that you cannot have them on the field at the same time.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
Interesting rule that you cannot have them on the field at the same time.

Makes sense really.
The whole point of having jersey number is to distinguish players from one another. And it kind of defeats the purpose to have multiple players on the field with the same number.

813Jag
November 4th, 2008, 08:22 AM
LSU had both punters wear the same number against Auburn or Florida.

Pauly LB
November 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Example -- last year at USC QB John David Booty and LB Brian Cushing both wore #10. Certainly they would not both be on the field at the same time.

UNIFanSince1983
November 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
WIU had a DB with #3 and a DB with #9. And both their running backs had #3 and #9.

JayJ79
November 4th, 2008, 10:09 AM
UNI has two players listed on their roster for each number 3-8, 11, and 15.
(at least that's the case in the roster from the program that I have handy, which is from 10/18)

appfan2008
November 4th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I notice it with Ohio State...

Terrelle Pryor wears number 2 as does their top safety...

MR. CHICKEN
November 4th, 2008, 10:40 AM
JERSEY NUMBERAHS...RANGE FROM 1 TA 99....(IS ZERO UH LEGAL NUMBERAH...xconfusedx)...........IFIN' YA'LL HAVE 100 O' MO' PLAYERAHS.....GONNAH BE DUPLICATES......FROM DUH BLUEHEN ROSTER:

13 ED WAGENER SO. P/K.........MICHIGAN STATE XFER
13b KIRK HARBAUGH FR-R LB
20 AARON HICKS SR. DB
20b CHRISTIAN PETER FR-R RB
43 CHRIS JOHNSON FR. WR
43b JOE HAVRILLA SO. LB..........................xwhistlex......DOODLE-DOO!

jaxstatealum
November 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Perilloux and Ivory (backup QB) both in #11 for JSU.

Anovafan
November 4th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Makes sense really.
The whole point of having jersey number is to distinguish players from one another. And it kind of defeats the purpose to have multiple players on the field with the same number.

Certainly, I would have thought no duplicate numbers were allowed. I don't think they are allowed in the NFL.

appfan2008
November 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
Perilloux and Ivory (backup QB) both in #11 for JSU.

thats tricky when they play the same position

jaxstatealum
November 4th, 2008, 02:57 PM
thats tricky when they play the same position

xlolx Well it would be if our coach would play Ivory. I think he's been in two games all year. Guess it's hard to sit a FBS transfer. Anyway, it is hard to keep up as far as stats go because all you see is the 11 xrolleyesx

DTSpider
November 4th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Certainly, I would have thought no duplicate numbers were allowed. I don't think they are allowed in the NFL.

Teams only have 53 players in the NFL, no need for duplicate numbers.

Anovafan
November 4th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Teams only have 53 players in the NFL, no need for duplicate numbers.

Not sure how many players UR carries, but Nova has about 90 max. Only 55 can travel to away games so I really don't see the need for duplicate numbers. Maybe Texas and Oklahoma carry more than 100, but by the end of the season I would think most FCS teams are under 100 players.

JayJ79
November 4th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Not sure how many players UR carries, but Nova has about 90 max. Only 55 can travel to away games so I really don't see the need for duplicate numbers. Maybe Texas and Oklahoma carry more than 100, but by the end of the season I would think most FCS teams are under 100 players.

Nova has 87 players listed on their current (website) roster.
But there are two #81's: freshman WR, Larry Jackson
and junior DE Damian Kelley

Anovafan
November 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Nova has 87 players listed on their current (website) roster.
But there are two #81's: freshman WR, Larry Jackson
and junior DE Damian Kelley

I wasn't saying Nova doesn't do it, looks like they do. I just don't see the need for it unless a team carries more than 100 players (or is it 99, is 0 a legitimate number?)

JayJ79
November 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I wasn't saying Nova doesn't do it, looks like they do. I just don't see the need for it unless a team carries more than 100 players (or is it 99, is 0 a legitimate number?)

so you're saying that a team shouldn't be able to have more than 99 players in it's program at any point in the season?

Anovafan
November 4th, 2008, 06:44 PM
so you're saying that a team shouldn't be able to have more than 99 players in it's program at any point in the season?

No, my point was if a team carries less than 100 players, no need for duplicate numbers. I think it is silly.

SuperJon
November 4th, 2008, 07:33 PM
No, my point was if a team carries less than 100 players, no need for duplicate numbers. I think it is silly.

Not necessarily. You have to remember that certain positions have to wear certain numbers. That's the reason for duplicates on teams with less than 100 players.

JayJ79
November 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Not necessarily. You have to remember that certain positions have to wear certain numbers. That's the reason for duplicates on teams with less than 100 players.

Sometimes.
Other times, it's really just a recruiting tool. Letting players wear "their" number, even if another player already had it.

NoCoDanny
November 4th, 2008, 08:15 PM
That and certain programs have retired numbers.

catdaddy2402
November 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM

That rule only applies to the NFL.

I've seen LB and DL with single digit numbers, punters with numbers in the 90's, WR with numbers in the 40's.

Granted, i doubt you'll find a QB, RB, WR, or DB wanting a number in the 50's, 60's, or 70's....but there's no rule prohibiting it.

JayJ79
November 4th, 2008, 10:33 PM
That rule only applies to the NFL.

I've seen LB and DL with single digit numbers, punters with numbers in the 90's, WR with numbers in the 40's.

Granted, i doubt you'll find a QB, RB, WR, or DB wanting a number in the 50's, 60's, or 70's....but there's no rule prohibiting it.

There are no rules covering defensive players.
But there are some for offensive players. It's a matter of designating eligible receivers and the like.

NCAA Football Rule 1-4: Article 2 "Players' Numbering"
a. All players shall be numbered 1 through 99. Any number
preceded by zero (“0’’) is illegal [S23].
b. On a scrimmage down, at least five offensive players on the scrimmage
line shall be numbered 50 through 79 (Exception: During a scrimmage
kick formation, a player, who by his initial position on the line of
scrimmage, is an exception to the 50-79 mandatory numbering, remains
an ineligible receiver during the down until a legal forward pass is
touched by a Team B player or an official. He must be positioned
on the line of scrimmage and between the end players on the line of
scrimmage. The ineligible receivers (interior linemen) are identified
when the snapper assumes his position and touches or simulates (hand[s]
at or below his knees) touching the ball. A player remains an ineligible
receiver and is an exception to the 50-79 mandatory numbering until the
down is over, a timeout is charged to a team or the referee, or a period
ends.) (A.R. 1-4-2-I, IV and V) [S19].
c. No two players of the same team shall participate in the same down
wearing identical numbers (A.R. 1-4-2-II) [S23].
d. Markings in the vicinity of the numbers are not permitted (A.R. 1-4-2-
III) [S23].
PENALTY—Live-ball foul. Five yards from the previous spot [S19 or
S23].
e. Numbers shall not be changed during the game to deceive opponents
[S27].
PENALTY—Live-ball foul. 15 yards from the previous spot [S27].
Flagrant offenders shall be disqualified [S47].