PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference players of the week:

Skjellyfetti
November 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
Offensive POW: Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State, Jr., QB

Edwards became the Southern Conference's all-time leader in total offense with 440 total yards and six total touchdowns in ASU's 70-24 win over No. 3 Wofford. The junior signal-caller passed for 367 yards and a career-best five touchdowns while also adding 73 yards and a score on the ground. In all, he completed 17-of-19 passes without an interception, stretching his streak of consecutive passes without an INT to 140.

Other Nominees: Antonio Henton (Georgia Southern), Dustin Taliaferro (Samford), Andre Roberts (The Citadel), Adam Mims (Furman), Dane Romero (Wofford), Levon Curtis (Western Carolina).

DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Mark LeGree, Appalachian State, So., DB

LeGree tied a school record with three interceptions and added a forced fumble and eight tackles (including one for loss) to lead the Mountaineers defensively in Friday's 70-24 win over No. 3 Wofford. His three INTs give him seven for the season, which leads the nation and is just one shy of the single-season school record.

Other Nominees: Dakota Walker (Georgia Southern), William Middleton (Furman), Bryce Smith (Samford), Antoine George (Western Carolina), Erik Clanton (The Citadel) and Raeshon Ball (Chattanooga).

FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK: Brian Quick, Appalachian State, Fr., WR

Quick set an ASU freshman record with 172 receiving yards and hauled in three touchdowns in ASU's 70-24 win over No. 3 Wofford. Quick's 172 yards came on just four catches (43 ypr), including touchdowns of 58, 50 and 31 yards. His shortest gain of the night was the 31-yard touchdown catch.

Other Nominees: Dustin Taliaferro (Samford), Andrerius Thomas (Western Carolina), Eric Breitenstein (Wofford), K.R. Snipes (Georgia Southern), Tolu Akindele (The Citadel) and Tersoo Uhaa (Furman).

SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Blake Cain, Western Carolina, Fr., P

Cain punted seven times for an average of 40.7 yards, which included a 51-yard boot that was three yards shy of his career-long. Most impressive, though, was that five of his seven punts were downed inside the Chattanooga 20 yard line.

Other Nominees: Kyle McKinney (Furman), Adrian Mora (Georgia Southern), Jason Vitaris (Appalachian State), Patrick Mugan (Wofford), Mel Capers (The Citadel), Riley Hawkins (Samford).

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1617113

appst97
November 3rd, 2008, 02:06 PM
If Mr. Cain stays at Western, he should own a lot of Div 1 records by the time he's done

blueballs
November 3rd, 2008, 02:09 PM
How could Citadel's FG kicker NOT be special teams Player of the Week?

I demand a recount...

Biff
November 3rd, 2008, 02:14 PM
How could Citadel's FG kicker NOT be special teams Player of the Week?

I demand a recount...

Recount not needed. We have both these knobmores (they are RFr.) geting hazed. The beatings will continue until they succeed.

xnonono2x xnonono2x Stupid kicking ... xbawlingx xbawlingx

Eaglesrus
November 3rd, 2008, 03:25 PM
Recount not needed. We have both these knobmores (they are RFr.) geting hazed. The beatings will continue until they succeed.

xnonono2x xnonono2x Stupid kicking ... xbawlingx xbawlingx

Speaking of hazing, we were wondering if the cannon is fired after every game, win or lose, or if somebody would be getting hazed for that, too.

GSUhooligan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:31 PM
I bet the kicker got the soap in a sock beat down Saturday night.

introvertedGSUfan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Hey SoCon officials, there are other teams besides Appalachian State. It almost makes me sick to see this even though App did have an impressive win.

Appinator
November 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Hey SoCon officials, there are other teams besides Appalachian State. It almost makes me sick to see this even though App did have an impressive win.

So who had a more impressive day in your opinion?

I don't think AE's day could be trumped.

Three INTs, and a forced fumble are some kids whole year.

Quick broke the freshman recieving yards record at App, to go along with three TDs

introvertedGSUfan
November 3rd, 2008, 03:56 PM
So who had a more impressive day in your opinion?

I don't think AE's day could be trumped.

Three INTs, and a forced fumble are some kids whole year.

Quick broke the freshman recieving yards record at App, to go along with three TDs

Did I say that AE shouldn't be player of the week? There's a difference between having one player named vs. three in the four categories.

DLS
November 3rd, 2008, 03:58 PM
Did I say that AE shouldn't be player of the week? There's a difference between having one player named vs. three in the four categories.

but who deserved it more than any of those three? is there even an arguement?

thats just the way the cookie crumples.

Skjellyfetti
November 3rd, 2008, 03:59 PM
There's a difference between having one player named vs. three in the four categories.

Who would you have voted for Offensive, Defensive, and Freshman of the week?

lizrdgizrd
November 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM

If you don't like it, kick the **** outta Samford this week and get 3 POTW of your own. xbawlingx

appvette
November 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM

He gave good explanations for all three. Who do you think should win?

WCU LawCat
November 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Congrats Blake Cain

Appinator
November 3rd, 2008, 04:02 PM

OK, what Freshman player and what Defensive player had better days?

Appinator
November 3rd, 2008, 04:03 PM
He gave good explanations for all three. Who do you think should win?

He must be for "spreading the wealth around" too...

jk

BestOfBreed
November 3rd, 2008, 04:07 PM
Looks about right to me :)

AppStateold299
November 3rd, 2008, 04:24 PM
I agree that Appalachian State did get a lot of love this weekend, but it was well deserved. The players named had very impressive games that no one in the nation matched or even came close to duplicating.

appstate38
November 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM

Relax my fellow Mountaineers. This guy just gave a textbook drive by posting.... He through out some crazy post to get a response and it worked. He had no real or rational argument so he decided to get a rise out of the App posters on here. Don't even sweat it.... I doubt he will be back to defend his insane argument........

Did I say enough to goad a response from him????

ASU_MBA
November 3rd, 2008, 05:43 PM
The punter at Western sure gets a lot of practice....he should win it every week.....

Baldy
November 3rd, 2008, 06:37 PM
Who would you have voted for Offensive, Defensive, and Freshman of the week?

Dakota Walker for DPOW:
8 Tackles
5 Tackles for Loss
2 Forced Fumbles
2 Sacks
1 Blocked Kick
1 QB Hurry

Hell, he got jobbed last week vs. WCU, too:
7 Tackles
4.5 Tackles for Loss
1 Forced Fumble
1 Pass Break UP
3 Sacks
1 QB Hurry

catamount man
November 3rd, 2008, 06:45 PM
Congrats Blake Cain

Indeed. Wagner was playing a lot of field position this week. It worked. UTC, except for a few plays, could do nothing against our D. xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2008, 06:55 PM
App. 70
Wofford 24

You are going to have an App POTY blackout with a week like that.

Biff
November 3rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Speaking of hazing, we were wondering if the cannon is fired after every game, win or lose, or if somebody would be getting hazed for that, too.

Yup, they fire the last shots prepared not matter the outcome. Hazing probably is a potential by-product that hasn't been looked at yet or was banned so long ago no one can remember. xthumbsupx

seantaylor
November 4th, 2008, 01:06 AM
Dakota and Covington have been robbed the last 3 weeks for DPOW. Adam Urbano should have won FOTW.

appstate38
November 4th, 2008, 06:28 AM
Dakota Walker for DPOW:
8 Tackles
5 Tackles for Loss
2 Forced Fumbles
2 Sacks
1 Blocked Kick
1 QB Hurry

7 Tackles
4.5 Tackles for Loss
1 Forced Fumble
1 Pass Break UP
3 Sacks
1 QB Hurry

Pretty good stat line but not even close to the game LeGree had. Tackles they go head to head. You tie a record for picks in a game that gives you the inside track for DPOW in my opinion.

The Cats
November 4th, 2008, 07:13 AM
http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1617113

I'd probably have to agree that the boone boys did earn those 3 awards.

appfan2008
November 4th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Dakota Walker for DPOW:
8 Tackles
5 Tackles for Loss
2 Forced Fumbles
2 Sacks
1 Blocked Kick
1 QB Hurry

7 Tackles
4.5 Tackles for Loss
1 Forced Fumble
1 Pass Break UP
3 Sacks
1 QB Hurry

nice... but... this week there was a player who did better!!!

eaglewithabus
November 4th, 2008, 07:25 AM
Pretty good stat line but not even close to the game LeGree had. Tackles they go head to head. You tie a record for picks in a game that gives you the inside track for DPOW in my opinion.

Yea but for an interception all you have to do is be lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, and catch the ball of course. QB sacks, blocked kicks, tackles for losses, and caused fumbles, those stats mean you are gettin after it, especially from the defensive line position.