PDA

View Full Version : Should David McCarty be a Payton Candidate

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Here's what he's done so far this year:

1348 rushing yards (4.97 yd avg.) and 22 receptions for 311 yards with 11 total TDs.

Third nationally in yards per game with 149.78
Third in the nation for all-purpose rushers, and
First in the nation for all purpose yards not counting return yards.

Other RBs on the Payton Watch list:
Herb Donaldson (WIU) 1207 rushing (5.6 avg), 72 receiving with 17 TDs
Rashad Jennings (Lib) 1195 rushing (5.9 avg), 124 receiving with 15 TDs
Mike Mcleod (Yale) 579 rushing (3.4 avg), 89 rec, with 6 TDs.
Jordan Scott (Colgate) 972 rushing (5.7 avg), 26 rec, with 11 TDs.
David Sinisi (Monmouth) 1413 rushing (6 avg), 80 rec, with 17 Tds.

I say yes. But I am biased. What do you think?

DetroitFlyer
November 3rd, 2008, 12:50 PM
Not biased and I have seen him play in person. YES!!!!!

smallcollegefbfan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:54 PM
Here's what he's done so far this year:

1348 rushing yards (4.97 yd avg.) and 22 receptions for 311 yards with 11 total TDs.

Third nationally in yards per game with 149.78
Third in the nation for all-purpose rushers, and
First in the nation for all purpose yards not counting return yards.

Other RBs on the Payton Watch list:
Herb Donaldson (WIU) 1207 rushing (5.6 avg), 72 receiving with 17 TDs
Rashad Jennings (Lib) 1195 rushing (5.9 avg), 124 receiving with 15 TDs
Mike Mcleod (Yale) 579 rushing (3.4 avg), 89 rec, with 6 TDs.
Jordan Scott (Colgate) 972 rushing (5.7 avg), 26 rec, with 11 TDs.
David Sinisi (Monmouth) 1413 rushing (6 avg), 80 rec, with 17 Tds.

I say yes. But I am biased. What do you think?

I would bet that McLeod comes off this week so McCarty could be added. I would not put him over Donaldson and Jennings but you could make an argument for the others. Scott won't come off because he will pass 1,000 yards and have the career resume. Does it really matter if he is added though? AE, Landers, and Higgins have pretty much locked up spots in Chatty for the awards ceremony.

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:55 PM
I would bet that McLeod comes off this week so McCarty could be added. I would not put him over Donaldson and Jennings but you could make an argument for the others. Scott won't come off because he will pass 1,000 yards and have the career resume. Does it really matter if he is added though? AE, Landers, and Higgins have pretty much locked up spots in Chatty for the awards ceremony.

It certainly matters. I think its a great honor to be recognized as one of the top offensive players in the nation. Even if not the top, to be in the category is a great honor.

smallcollegefbfan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
It certainly matters. I think its a great honor to be recognized as one of the top offensive players in the nation. Even if not the top, to be in the category is a great honor.

Oh I know it matters but when you are looking at how voters will cast ballots it is much more likely that the Montana QB should and would receive votes or someone like Dally at Cal Poly due to their team's rank and their numbers. With that said while McCarty is a top player he wouldn't get enough votes to make any difference and likely will get snubbed for one of those others. While I don't think he will make the Payton list or would finish in the bottom 3 I do believe he will make All-America lists and if he doesn't you should really feel cheated. He has been great all year and deserves All-America mention, at the very least.

Maroon&White
November 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM
Yes he should be on. I completely agree that it matters to be on the list, even if not winning it or one of the top 3.