PDA

View Full Version : 8 D-I threshold?

Khan4Cats
November 3rd, 2008, 10:43 AM
I know 7 D-I wins is the general rule for at-large play-off teams, but its looking like 8 will more likely be the case this year.

Looking at the Division, there are 39 teams that could still get to 8 D-I wins.

Two of those are Ivy Schools (Harvard and Brown), one is Grambling and also out, a fourth is transitional Central Arkansas.

That leaves 35 teams. 3 Pioneer League schools (Dayton, San Diego, and Jacksonville), 2 NEC schools (Sacred Heart and Albany), Liberty from the Big South and Cal-Poly from the Great West leave 28 schools from auto-bid leagues. Of these non-auto-bid representatives, Cal-Poly has the best shot providing they can get to 7 D-I wins, that assumes the committee gives thought to the cancelled McNeese game (never been tested) and/or weight to the FBS win (has been tested the last two years- Montana State in '06 and UNH last year). Of the others, Liberty has what would have been a nice win pre-season over YSU, and a game yet with Elon, but I'm not sure it will be enough. San Diego, Jacksonville, and Sacred Heart are all not even leading their conferences and none have a good OOC win. Likewise, Albany and Dayton do not have quality OOC wins, with the best being Dayton over Fordham (4-4).

That leaves 28 teams from the auto-bid leagues that could get to 8 D-I wins. 7 of those will win their conference auto-bids (nobody in the Southland can get to 8).

So 21 teams are still alive to get to 8 D-I wins, there will probably be 7 at-large slots available. 3 weeks of fun.

DetroitFlyer
November 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
I know 7 D-I wins is the general rule for at-large play-off teams, but its looking like 8 will more likely be the case this year.

Two of those are Ivy Schools (Harvard and Brown), one is Grambling and also out, a fourth is transitional Central Arkansas.

That leaves 35 teams. 3 Pioneer League schools (Dayton, San Diego, and Jacksonville), 2 NEC schools (Sacred Heart and Albany), Liberty from the Big South and Cal-Poly from the Great West leave 28 schools from auto-bid leagues. Of these non-auto-bid representatives, Cal-Poly has the best shot providing they can get to 7 D-I wins, that assumes the committee gives thought to the cancelled McNeese game (never been tested) and/or weight to the FBS win (has been tested the last two years- Montana State in '06 and UNH last year). Of the others, Liberty has what would have been a nice win pre-season over YSU, and a game yet with Elon, but I'm not sure it will be enough. San Diego, Jacksonville, and Sacred Heart are all not even leading their conferences and none have a good OOC win. Likewise, Albany and Dayton do not have quality OOC wins, with the best being Dayton over Fordham (4-4).

That leaves 28 teams from the auto-bid leagues that could get to 8 D-I wins. 7 of those will win their conference auto-bids (nobody in the Southland can get to 8).

So 21 teams are still alive to get to 8 D-I wins, there will probably be 7 at-large slots available. 3 weeks of fun.

Dayton could potentially finish with 10, Division I wins. How many other FCS conference champions could finish with 10, Division I wins?

If Dayton does get to 10, they will have earned it having won at San Diego, at Butler and at JU. There is absolutely no guarantee that Dayton wins out, but if it should happen, I doubt that they will have much company in FCS.

appfan2008
November 3rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
AT LARGE
3-CAA
2-SOCON
1-MVFC
1-Big Sky
1-Cal Poly

that is my prediciton... i think it is too many CAA but that is what they will get...

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
AT LARGE
3-CAA
2-SOCON
1-MVFC
1-Big Sky
1-Cal Poly

that is my prediciton... i think it is too many CAA but that is what they will get...

I don't know on the breakdown just yet, but I agree that all of the at-larges will come from the 4 major conferences, with the exception of Cal Poly. Other than Poly, there isn't one team outside of those conferences (who isn't in line for an AQ already) that has a resume worthy of an at-large this year.

appfan2008
November 3rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Dayton could potentially finish with 10, Division I wins. How many other FCS conference champions could finish with 10, Division I wins?

If Dayton does get to 10, they will have earned it having won at San Diego, at Butler and at JU. There is absolutely no guarantee that Dayton wins out, but if it should happen, I doubt that they will have much company in FCS.

ASU can get to 10 D1 wins...
Elon can get to 10 D1 wins...
UNH can get to 10 D1 wins...
JMU can get to 10 D1 wins (if NC Central couts)...
UNI can get to 10 D1 wins...
TSU can get to 10 D1 wins...
Dayton can get to 10 D1 wins...

Grambling can get to 10 D1 wins...

that is it...

others can get to 10 wins just not all D1 including montana, weber st and others...

nmatsen
November 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
Technically UNI can only get 9, I don't believe that USD counts as they are in their FIRST year of transition. Next year they would have counted. However, I think USD would have won at least 8 if not all of the 10 D-I wins that Dayton has.

I don't know why UNI schedules any non-conference games that are out of the Pioneer League. If the NCAA counts them as D-I wins why not take advantage.

Big Al
November 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM

Actually, UNI's win over USD doesn't count because they're in their first year of transition from D-2. UNI maxes out at 9 D-1 wins.

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
others can get to 10 wins just not all D1 including montana, weber st and others...

Montana's win over DII Central Washington is much more impressive than wins over Valpo, Campbell, Davidson, etc.

Khan4Cats
AT LARGE
3-CAA
2-SOCON
1-MVFC
1-Big Sky
1-Cal Poly

I agree.

The CAA will get JMU (likely auto-bid), Nova, Richmond, and the winner of the UNH-Maine-UMass round robin the last three weeks. W&M has to beat either JMU or Richmond to have more than 7 D-I wins.

Socon will have ASU auto, Elon (unless they stumble vs Liberty) and the winner of the Wofford-Furman match-up.

Big Sky is Weber (AB) and Montana.

MVFC will be UNI and either SDSU (win out) or SIU (loss can be to WIU alone, or to SDSU if NDSU then beats the Rabbits).

Cal-Poly is in as long as they only lose 1 more game.

appfan2008
Actually, UNI's win over USD doesn't count because they're in their first year of transition from D-2. UNI maxes out at 9 D-1 wins.

my bad didnt realize that usd doesnt count... probably the same thing then for jmu with nc central bc they are in their first year as welll

lizrdgizrd
November 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM

These teams could do it (some would exclude others if it happened): ASU, JMU, Elon, UNI, UNH, Montana, Tenn St.

DetroitFlyer
November 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Technically UNI can only get 9, I don't believe that USD counts as they are in their FIRST year of transition. Next year they would have counted. However, I think USD would have won at least 8 if not all of the 10 D-I wins that Dayton has.

I don't know why UNI schedules any non-conference games that are out of the Pioneer League. If the NCAA counts them as D-I wins why not take advantage.

Uh.... Because you just might lose. Ask Illinois State how that scheduling a win against the PFL thing worked out.

Granted, you could try to offer big bucks to Campbell or Valpo, but I doubt that they would take the bait.... As for my Flyers, offer a home and home, no money. We do not play money games, if you want to play the Flyers, plan on a visit to Welcome Stadium in Dayton, Ohio!

And another thing.... How hypocritical is it that App State can count a win over Jacksonville, but Georgia Tech could not count a win over JU towards bowl eligibility.... In fact, any win by App State over an Ivy, PL, NEC or PFL team counts as a Division I win, but no teams from these four, FCS, conferences can have a game with an FBS team count towards that FBS team's bowl eligibility.

Yes, believe it or not, the NCAA is pretty much screwed up relative to this issue!

Khan4Cats
November 3rd, 2008, 11:11 AM

that is it...

Montana can get to 10, 12 game schedule and only one non-counter.

UNI has been addressed.

Grambling can not get to 10, they have 2 losses and Langston is a non-counter, 9 max.

lucchesicourt
November 3rd, 2008, 11:13 AM
And what happens, if Cal Poly's one loss is to UCD, and UCD wins out? UCD could end with 7 D1 wins and Conference champs over Cal Poly.

19Duke97
November 3rd, 2008, 11:17 AM
And what happens, if Cal Poly's one loss is to UCD, and UCD wins out? UCD could end with 7 D1 wins and Conference champs over Cal Poly.

If that happens, then your conference really does not deserve a bid to the playoffs, even though they'll get one. UCD lost to a mediocre Northeastern team that is 1-4 in the CAA.

Khan4Cats
November 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM
Uh.... Because you just might lose. Ask Illinois State how that scheduling a win against the PFL thing worked out.

Oh yeah that game. I think we played the same team that beat Illinois State, and wiped their home field with them.

But hey those OOC wins over 4-4 Fordham and 4-5 Robert Morris are convincing for the Flyers. Of course that loss to 2-6 Duquesne makes a GREAT case too.

And as for future seasons, sure have your AD call. We would love to have you guys visit sometime.

To answer the earlier question about our scheduling South Dakota. I think it is a five year deal, H-H-A-H-A. Only this season is a non-counter, the rest will count.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM
I was under the impression that the win against NC Central counted, but I have no link to prove it. Regardless, it likely won't matter anyway.

tingly
November 3rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
NC Central is counting for Cal Poly getting to 7 D-I wins. They play Saturday.

You get an at-large if you're roughly top-12 this season, especially with Central Arkansas out of the way now. I don't see Davis jumping that high just from a Poly win.

lucchesicourt
November 3rd, 2008, 11:30 AM
That didn't answer the question. I am not saying UCD, after starting out 1 and 4 deserves a bid, I am saying what happens if Cal Poly loses to UCD and UCD is conference champs. Is this an elimination game for Poly?

WileECoyote06
November 3rd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I was under the impression that the win against NC Central counted, but I have no link to prove it. Regardless, it likely won't matter anyway.

You are correct. NC Central is in year two of the transition.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM

North Carolina Central is in their second year of their transition and is a counter this year.

Khan4Cats
November 3rd, 2008, 11:36 AM
That didn't answer the question. I am not saying UCD, after starting out 1 and 4 deserves a bid, I am saying what happens if Cal Poly loses to UCD and UCD is conference champs. Is this an elimination game for Poly?

The difference is Cal-Poly's win over FBS SDSU. That has been used in the past to put 7 D-I win teams in (Montana State in '06 and UNH last year). And for them to still get to 7 wins with a loss to UC-Davis, they will have to beat FBS Wisconsin. 2 FBS wins will probably put them in. UC-Davis at 7 D-I wins, including a win over Cal-Poly, isn't as quality as Cal-Poly at 7 D-I wins, including 2 FBS scalps.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Yeah Poly probably won't get in if they lose to UCD, but of course if they go on to beat Wisconsin after that who knows...

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM

The only way Cal Poly makes the playoffs with a loss to UC Davis is if they beat Wisconsin the next week. I would hate to have our playoff hopes riding on a win in Madison no matter how down the Badgers are this year.

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 11:40 AM

Looking at the Division, there are 39 teams that could still get to 8 D-I wins. ...

No way that all 21 will be equally deserving of an at large bid, but it looks like there will be as many deserving teams left out as make it in.

Will the 20-team playoff in 2010 solve this problem or make it worse?

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
No way that all 21 will be equally deserving of an at large bid, but it looks like there will be as many deserving teams left out as make it in.

Will the 20-team playoff in 2010 solve this problem or make it worse?

It certainly helps in years like this, where there are a good amount of teams that may be deserving but that will be left out. Its 2 more at-large bids.

However, there is the potential to have a year like last year where there aren't really a lot of 7+ DI win teams sitting on the bubble.

aggiemba
November 3rd, 2008, 11:48 AM
WOW! Even the Poly fanboys are kind of predicting an Aggie win, with all this talk about them having to beat Wisconsin to make the playoffs. xpeacex

89rabbit
November 3rd, 2008, 11:50 AM
MVFC will be UNI and either SDSU (win out) or SIU (loss can be to WIU alone, or to SDSU if NDSU then beats the Rabbits).

Agreed. xnodx

Big Al
November 3rd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Agreed. xnodx

I'm still trying to wrap my head around a scenario that puts SDSU in the playoffs...

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM

that is it...

Excuse ME! We go 11-1 and that's 10 D-1 wins and our DII was against the #5 DII team that might win the DII championship. When did Southern Utah get lowered to less than a D-I? At least they have 63 schollies which is more than I can say for you East Coast teams that play all those non schollie D-I teams.

Silenoz
November 3rd, 2008, 11:54 AM
double post

Silenoz
November 3rd, 2008, 11:56 AM

that is it...

Montana can reach 11 wins, 10 of them D1
1 - Cal Poly
2 - Southern Utah
3 - UC Davis
4 - Eastern Washington
5 - Sacremento State
6 - Northern Colorado
7 - Northern Arizona
8 - Portland State
9 - Idaho State
10 - Montana State

edit: Ah, Ronbo beat me to it. Once again I don't realize I'm not looking at the last page of the thread

Ronbo
November 3rd, 2008, 12:03 PM
And ASU played Jacksonville. Zero schollies. They SHOULD NOT count as a D-1 win. And Presbyterian? Is that a schollie team?

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
And ASU played Jacksonville. Zero schollies. They SHOULD NOT count as a D-1 win. And Presbyterian? Is that a schollie team?

Agreed on non-schollie. Presby is first year as counter, in the Big South. former schollie D-II move up. probably around 50 schollies this year.

98hoya
November 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM

DetroitFlyer,

The best thing that could happen to the Dayton team is if they do NOT get picked. There is no quicker way to get outed as a D-III team masquerading as 1-AA than to get beat by 80 points by Wofford in the first round of the playoffs.

TribeGuy09
November 3rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
AT LARGE
3-CAA
2-SOCON
1-MVFC
1-Big Sky
1-Cal Poly

Too many CAA?? lol. 2 SoCon is wayyyy too many. I mean Wofford was just WOEFUL on Saturday! CAA South alone should get 2 at large, but they deserve 3.

DetroitFlyer
November 3rd, 2008, 12:29 PM
DetroitFlyer,

The best thing that could happen to the Dayton team is if they do NOT get picked. There is no quicker way to get outed as a D-III team masquerading as 1-AA than to get beat by 80 points by Wofford in the first round of the playoffs.

Yeah right, say like the App State Wofford game this past weekend? You have obviously never seen the Flyers play.... If you had seen them play, you would realize how silly your statement is.... Ask Fordham if we could hold our own in the FCS playoffs.... By the way, did Fordham get blown out last year in the FCS playoffs? You know, the PL champion team that lost to the Flyers?

Taking this a step further, show me a team, ANY TEAM, that has been hurt by being blown out in the FCS playoffs?

I suppose that the fact that the Flyers finished 2007 ranked in the top 25 of some FCS polls means that they are masquerading as a Division III team?

You know, sometimes you really should think just a little bit before you post....

grizbeer
November 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
And ASU played Jacksonville. Zero schollies. They SHOULD NOT count as a D-1 win. And Presbyterian? Is that a schollie team?Maybe instead of 7 D-1 wins it should be 441 scholarship victories - 63 scholarships x 7 wins. Beat a 36 schollie D-II or a 50 schollie D-1 and pick up partial credit. Beat a 85 scholly FBS and a D-II and it counts just a little less than 2 full FCS teams.

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
Maybe instead of 7 D-1 wins it should be 441 scholarship victories - 63 scholarships x 7 wins. Beat a 36 schollie D-II or a 50 schollie D-1 and pick up partial credit. Beat a 85 scholly FBS and a D-II and it counts just a little less than 2 full FCS teams.

I actually like that idea. I would put it at 425 though, because many teams are at 60-61, etc.

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
Requiring scholarships is stupid and something NCAA will never do. Why require scholarships? The only thing it does is hide the fact that some schools are wasting money? Why do you guys think scholarships should be required if teams can put a good product on the field without offering 1 scholarship?

grizbeer
November 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Requiring scholarships is stupid and something NCAA will never do. Why require scholarships? The only thing it does is hide the fact that some schools are wasting money? Why do you guys think scholarships should be required if teams can put a good product on the field without offering 1 scholarship?
Interesting, could you expand on how scholarships are a waste of money exactly? It seems to me all scholarships do is take money and give it to the school on behalf of a student athlete. If 2 schools spend the same amount on athletics, and 1 team funds scholarships and the other spends on non-academic expenses, which is a bigger waste of money?

I suppose getting rid of scholarships would be o.k. if everyone could afford to pay for their education, or if we decide only those who can afford to pay should be allowed to play football.

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
Interesting, could you expand on how scholarships are a waste of money exactly? It seems to me all scholarships do is take money and give it to the school on behalf of a student athlete. If 2 schools spend the same amount on athletics, and 1 team funds scholarships and the other spends on non-academic expenses, which is a bigger waste of money?

I suppose getting rid of scholarships would be o.k. if everyone could afford to pay for their education, or if we decide only those who can afford to pay should be allowed to play football.

Huh? Folks in this thread are advocating for scholarships because they think that scholarships=better product on the field.

I'm not saying that scholarships are a waste of money when they provide an education for a student. What I'm saying is that some schools are spending a lot of money on football scholarships and putting sub-par product on the field.

On the other hand there are schools that are spending ZERO dollars on football scholarships that are putting a decent product on the field. Those schools a glaring reminder to the alumni and student-body of bad scholarship schools that a school is "wasting" money on scholarship football.

And BTW, the vast majority of kids who play non-scholarship football (Ivy, PFL, etc.) are not paying full price to go to school. They aren't getting athletic scholarships, but they aren't paying full price either.

grizbeer
November 3rd, 2008, 05:13 PM
Huh? Folks in this thread are advocating for scholarships because they think that scholarships=better product on the field.

I'm not saying that scholarships are a waste of money when they provide an education for a student. What I'm saying is that some schools are spending a lot of money on football scholarships and putting sub-par product on the field.

On the other hand there are schools that are spending ZERO dollars on football scholarships that are putting a decent product on the field. Those schools a glaring reminder to the alumni and student-body of bad scholarship schools that a school is "wasting" money on scholarship football.

And BTW, the vast majority of kids who play non-scholarship football (Ivy, PFL, etc.) are not paying full price to go to school. They aren't getting athletic scholarships, but they aren't paying full price either.
O.K. I see what you are saying now (I thought this was like when the environmental studies department starts writing letters to the editor that the school is wasting money on athletic scholarships that could have been spent on protesting).

Those schools that don't use their scholarships wisely are not going to win enough games to get into the playoffs anyways, so I don't think that is an issue.

But to look closer at my suggestion, let's say you need 420 scholarship wins. If you win 8 games over teams with at least 30 scholarships, and 3 games over teams with 60+ scholarships you are eligible.

Also I don't see why "need based aid" if given to an athlete should be treated any different from an athletic scholarship in this case.

danefan
November 3rd, 2008, 05:20 PM
O.K. I see what you are saying now (I thought this was like when the environmental studies department starts writing letters to the editor that the school is wasting money on athletic scholarships that could have been spent on protesting).

Those schools that don't use their scholarships wisely are not going to win enough games to get into the playoffs anyways, so I don't think that is an issue.

But to look closer at my suggestion, let's say you need 420 scholarship wins. If you win 8 games over teams with at least 30 scholarships, and 3 games over teams with 60+ scholarships you are eligible.

Also I don't see why "need based aid" if given to an athlete should be treated any different from an athletic scholarship in this case.

Need-based aid is counted as scholarship money if it isn't available to all students. PFL and IVY league football programs do not give any aid that isn't technically available to all students. That's what differs from the Ivy/PFL model and the Patriot League, who gives "equivalencies".

I don't agree with the idea of mandating the level of scholarships a particular school has to offer in order to be eligible for the playoffs. Schools such as the PFL and Ivy have chosen to focus their money on other areas and have still been able to provide student-athletes a solid experience of Division I FCS football and have provided some decent teams.

FCS football is and always will be, cost-containment football. Mandating scholarship levels is contrary to that philosophy.

And, BTW, I am an advocate of Albany being a full-scholarship school. But I advocate that way because I believe for Albany to compete for national championships on a year-in, year-out basis, they need the depth of talent that 63 scholarships offers. They cannot offer the other incentives (academic, history, etc...) to recruits that the PFL and Ivy league schools can.

Retro
November 3rd, 2008, 05:23 PM

Who are you saying hasn't been tested? Cal-Poly? They lost barely to Montana and beat a good SDSU team.. Mcneese also beat SDSU. Cal-poly will most certainly get in if only 1 more loss or none..

The committee does not look at previous year's record as it has NO bearing on current year success or quality win's, etc..

Green Laser
November 3rd, 2008, 05:42 PM

Poly has already lost to Montana in San Luis Obispo, so a loss to Davis would give them two losses and finish them.

Obzerver
November 3rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
Montana's win over DII Central Washington is much more impressive than wins over Valpo, Campbell, Davidson, etc.

Central Washington is the best college football team in the state at any level...doesn't say much for U of WA, WA State U or Eastern WA

Khan4Cats
November 4th, 2008, 07:35 AM
Who are you saying hasn't been tested? Cal-Poly? They lost barely to Montana and beat a good SDSU team.. Mcneese also beat SDSU. Cal-poly will most certainly get in if only 1 more loss or none..

The committee does not look at previous year's record as it has NO bearing on current year success or quality win's, etc..

The "testing" comment had to do with how the committee looks at situations.

There are two that apply to Cal-Poly this year:

1) The committee will give weight to the fact they had a game cancelled because of the hurricanes. Some have stated that the committee will look at this as a factor, but they never have as of yet, or at least have never placed a team in the field over other qualified teams using this.

2) The victory over FBS SDSU holding more weight for a team with only 7 D-I wins. This has been tested and applied the last two years. Montana State in 2006 got an at-large (and a home game) with a 7-4 record that included a loss to a D-II team, but they had an FBS win that helped make their case over other teams. Last year, UNH got in at 7-4. I think the general concensus was that their FBS win was the difference between them and other 7 win teams.

The statement had nothing to do with any team being tested on the field.

th0m
November 4th, 2008, 07:47 AM
Excuse ME! We go 11-1 and that's 10 D-1 wins and our DII was against the #5 DII team that might win the DII championship. When did Southern Utah get lowered to less than a D-I? At least they have 63 schollies which is more than I can say for you East Coast teams that play all those non schollie D-I teams.

Haven't you heard? Non-scholly eastcoast teams can hang with, and beat, top 25 teams!