PDA

View Full Version : Fulmer done at Tenessee-- all FCS schools should be calling Dave Clawson

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3679810

Fulmer will be stepping down. I would think Clawson will have to come back to FCS as a HC, unless a low level FBS school is well informed and gives him a chance. He probably becomes the leading HC canidate for any FCS school looking for a new coach.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
Watched the USC/UT game with my brother-in-law who is a Gamecock and he said Fulmer would be out by today. xeyebrowx

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 10:14 AM
LOL - bye bye Phat Phil...

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
Wonder if they'll keep him around in some sort of administrative capacity. He truly loves Tennessee (although for the life of me I can't see why xlolx ).

Feel bad for Clawson. Left a primo FCS position for a year of hell. Now, you've got to think that he'll end up at a lower position. I would not think that he would be up for any FBS coordinator positions.

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Wonder if they'll keep him around in some sort of administrative capacity. He truly loves Tennessee (although for the life of me I can't see why xlolx ).

Feel bad for Clawson. Left a primo FCS position for a year of hell. Now, you've got to think that he'll end up at a lower position. I would not think that he would be up for any FBS coordinator positions.

Ya, Dave got hosed. This Tennessee team doesnt have a lot of talent, and his has been undermined by Fulmer. One would think he is headed toward an FCS HC position, with the possibility an an FBS OC or HC (HC in FBS seems slim)

ur2k
November 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
An open letter to Dave Clawson:

Dave, you can come back and be our offensive coordinator but if not, please stay the heck out of the CAA.

Signed,
richmond fans

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Ya, Dave got hosed. This Tennessee team doesnt have a lot of talent, and his has been undermined by Fulmer. One would think he is headed toward an FCS HC position, with the possibility an an FBS OC or HC (HC in FBS seems slim)

There was always some speculation in this neck of the woods that Clawson got handcuffed by Fulmer's playcalling.

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2008, 10:26 AM
There was always some speculation in this neck of the woods that Clawson got handcuffed by Fulmer's playcalling.

I dont follow Volunteers FB, but from what I have seen and heard I do agree that has been the case.

appfan2008
November 3rd, 2008, 10:27 AM
it was time for fulmer...

dennisdent
November 3rd, 2008, 10:30 AM
Delaware--PLEASE, please don't hire him.That would mean firing KC, and we in UMass land love him as your coach.xlolx

FCS Go!
November 3rd, 2008, 10:35 AM

The Vols are consistently ranked as one of the top recruiting schools in the country (top 10 every year). Talent isn't the problem.

Clawson to the Mocs? Yeah, probably not.

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2008, 10:39 AM
The Vols are consistently ranked as one of the top recruiting schools in the country (top 10 every year). Talent isn't the problem.

Clawson to the Mocs? Yeah, probably not.

Recruiting ranking are BS--please. The real indicator of team talent is how many kids get drafted by the NFL-- too lazy to look that up however. Also Tenessee may have talent but they are either not developing the talent or not using it properly. Either way they are not very good right now.

Clawson wouldnt go to the Mocs?? What else will he do?

appmaj
November 3rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
That sucks

FCS Go!
November 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Recruiting ranking are BS--please. The real indicator of team talent is how many kids get drafted by the NFL-- too lazy to look that up however. Also Tenessee may have talent but they are either not developing the talent or not using it properly. Either way they are not very good right now.

I dont follow Volunteers FB, but from what I have seen and heard I do agree that has been the case.

Your analysis of the problems at UT suffers from your admission that you don't know anything about it. The Vols have dozens of players in the NFL. Look it up.

Clawson is viewed by some as an interloper who is part of the problem at UT. This hurts his chances at Chattanooga. I think he would be a great match but there are other candidates who might fit the regional outlook of the school better.

Thanks for breaking the news! xpeacex

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Your analysis of the problems at UT suffers from your admission that you don't know anything about it. The Vols have dozens of players in the NFL. Look it up.

Clawson is viewed by some as an interloper who is part of the problem at UT. This hurts his chances at Chattanooga. I think he would be a great match but there are other candidates who might fit the regional outlook of the school better.

But, if you DO follow UT football, you also know that the offense hasn't changed much since Clawson came over. A lot of people still see this as Clawson getting stuck with Fulmer's offense. In fact, on the radio on the way in this morning, the sports guys were saying that they could not see anything new that Clawson brought. They weren't blaming it on Clawson, more blaming it on Fulmer and his reluctance to try some new things.

89Hen
November 3rd, 2008, 10:58 AM
Think Fulmer will ask for his $1,000,000 donation to UT to be returned? :p

KiddBrewer
November 3rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
i doubt we'll be callin him..........

letsgopards04
November 3rd, 2008, 11:42 AM
Tennessee FB is caught in the '90s. Fulmer runs the same plays as he did with Manning at the helm.

UNI Pike
November 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Most importantly - what is the future of the Fulmer Cup? I hope this does not turn into another Pac Bell, SBC -errr, AT&T Park in SF (all within about 5 years).

ngineer
November 3rd, 2008, 12:34 PM
Ironically he was given a contract extension at the end of last season.xrotatehx

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2008, 12:35 PM
i doubt we'll be callin him..........

I meant schools with an opening.

GATA
November 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM

Chattanooga get on the phone!

DFW HOYA
November 3rd, 2008, 01:13 PM
Syracuse ought to give Clawson a call.

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2008, 01:15 PM

Wow. If anyone ought to be turning down anyone in this scenario, it should be Clawson turning down Chatty, not the other way around. That said, I hope you don't even interview him. The rest of the FCS thanks you in advance.

Uncle Buck
November 3rd, 2008, 01:17 PM
I meant schools with an opening.

We don't have an opening, but we'll make one for him! xthumbsupx

TexasTerror
November 3rd, 2008, 01:24 PM
Sam Houston State anyone...?

We are known for our offensive teams over the years and to have Clawson would be the steal of the century...

Eight Legger
November 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Dave has a pretty solid history of coaching at top level academic schools. I would suspect to see him land at a similar school if he comes back to FCS, not at a big state school. (I'm not knocking state schools, just saying.) That didn't exactly work out this year.

MaroonDoom
November 3rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Anybody see Mike Leach from Texas Tech heading to the SEC?

Appaholic
November 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Could Cutcliffe return to TN as HC? He's done an impressive job with the Duke program this year......

MaroonDoom
November 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
Another good choice, but they must update that stale offense.

youwouldno
November 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
UTC would have to be retarded not to make a go at Clawson. One would think he'd prefer to coach in the CAA or SoCon, and how many open jobs will there be?

MaroonDoom
November 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
What about App State? When they win another NC this year & Moore can retire on top?

ysubigred
November 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
F%#@ at this point Y-Town is willing to call Larry, Moe and Curly xbawlingx

Hell we'd even give phat Phil a chance xeyebrowx

StrikeJMU
November 3rd, 2008, 01:42 PM
What about App State? When they win another NC this year & Moore can retire on top?

I think App. State will pass. After tearing apart the 3rd place team (not that they deserved it) on national television, why would Moore ever want to leave.

dennisdent
November 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
After reading stuff like this, I bet he'll be happy to get out of UT. They didn't even give him a full season before skewering his intelligence and coaching ability--hello and goodbye SEC.xlolx

http://moondogsports.com/2008/10/16/volunteers-dave-clawson-epic-fail/

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
After reading stuff like this, I be he'll be happy to get out of UT. They didn't even give him a full season before skewering his intelligence and coaching ability--hello and goodbye SEC.xlolx

http://moondogsports.com/2008/10/16/volunteers-dave-clawson-epic-fail/

Clawson is one of the smartes football coaches in the nation (from a general perspective) The guy went to Williams, one of the most difficult schools in the country to get into, he is a smart guy and a good coach. Impossible situation for him at Tenessee.

AppGrad06
November 3rd, 2008, 02:01 PM

Living in Knoxville and following the Vols and having watched Richmond in the past, I guarantee it!

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Living in Knoxville and following the Vols and having watched Richmond in the past, I guarantee it!

Yea, the offense didn't look much different than last year's offense.

AppGrad06
November 3rd, 2008, 02:02 PM
Hey UTC could use a good coach, or a coach period!

dennisdent
November 3rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
Clawson is one of the smartes football coaches in the nation (from a general perspective) The guy went to Williams, one of the most difficult schools in the country to get into, he is a smart guy and a good coach. Impossible situation for him at Tenessee.

Its funny to read the blogger's bio and than compare it to Clawson's bio...
xrotatehx

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Dave has a pretty solid history of coaching at top level academic schools. I would suspect to see him land at a similar school if he comes back to FCS, not at a big state school. (I'm not knocking state schools, just saying.) That didn't exactly work out this year.

He started his career coaching at Albany and Buffalo...:p

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Let's not feel too bad for Clawson. He got paid to work there for 10 months at over $30,000 per month and now he likely will get a buyout on his contract.

I wouldn't mind having his troubles.

I sure hope he doesn't land anywhere in the CAA!

Anovafan
November 3rd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Let's not feel too bad for Clawson. He got paid to work there for 10 months at over $30,000 per month and now he likely will get a buyout on his contract.

3 year guaranteed buyout, he will get paid big time. It's just a shame he jumped on a sinking ship. He had a nice thing going at UR.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 3rd, 2008, 02:32 PM
3 year guaranteed buyout, he will get paid big time. It's just a shame he jumped on a sinking ship. He had a nice thing going at UR.

There you go. Let's just hope he didn't waste his time selling his house here and buying one in Knoxville!

UNI Pike
November 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM

Why? What would he gain - maybe some $. But he has everything he wants, especially now that he beat TX.

GATA
November 3rd, 2008, 04:26 PM

That would be a dumb move. He could get the same money in the Big 12 with more job security.

Retro
November 3rd, 2008, 04:35 PM

What a crock of ****! The indicator of talent is what you get out of it as a team! There are plenty of successful teams with few draft picks each year and Clawson went to a school with always a decent crop of talent..

The fact is he was near the bottom in both run and pass offense and considering the talent at UT vs Temple, he didn't accomplish much.. I wouldn't want him on my staff.

Franks Tanks
November 3rd, 2008, 06:44 PM
What a crock of ****! The indicator of talent is what you get out of it as a team! There are plenty of successful teams with few draft picks each year and Clawson went to a school with always a decent crop of talent..

The fact is he was near the bottom in both run and pass offense and considering the talent at UT vs Temple, he didn't accomplish much.. I wouldn't want him on my staff.

You're quite incorrect. No way UT has the talent of Florida, Georgia, LSU or other SEC teams this year. Second Clawson is barely getting a chance to run his offense. Indications are that he wanted to bench the starting QB and Fulmer wouldnt allow it. Fulmer is polluting the offense and wont let Clawson do his thing. Of course Tenessee has talent but relative to the top of the SEC they arent at the same level right now.

Skjellyfetti
November 3rd, 2008, 06:52 PM
You're quite incorrect. No way UT has the talent of Florida, Georgia, LSU or other SEC teams this year. Second Clawson is barely getting a chance to run his offense. Indications are that he wanted to bench the starting QB and Fulmer wouldnt allow it. Fulmer is polluting the offense and wont let Clawson do his thing. Of cousre Tenessee has talent byt relative to the top of the SEC they arent at the same level right now.

Yeah, I agree with this assessment. I don't think Fulmer ever really gave the reigns to Clawson.

As Franks already mentioned... Clawson wanted to bench Crompton after the UCLA game-- Fulmer resisted. Clawson wanted to get Eric Berry involved in the offense and Clawson wanted to start Creer over Foster... Fulmer resisted those too.

And, the offense was pretty much identical to the offense Tennessee has been running since the mid, early '90's.

WoffDoc04
November 3rd, 2008, 07:09 PM
Watched the USC/UT game with my brother-in-law who is a Gamecock and he said Fulmer would be out by today. xeyebrowx

Gamecocks fans are used to coaches getting fired after they beat them.:D

chattanoogamocs
November 3rd, 2008, 08:20 PM
Don't worry too much for ol Phil, he is getting a $6 million buyout.

As for Clawson, we have been talking about him on Mocfans for over a month (even more intriguing when you add in that Chattanoogan BJ Coleman, a freshman QB for the Vols mired at the bottom of the depth charter, has been rumored to not to be that happy in Knoxville)...that could be a nice combo package of Clawson and Coleman for UC.

Not to veer this off topics, but he four that get the most ink (in the press rumor mill and on Mocfans)...

Hudpesth at North Alabama, Tony Ball at UGA (UC Alum) Randy Sanders at UK and Clawson.

I don't think the Mocs could go wrong with any of those guys (both Sanders and Ball have openly expressed interest...though both maintain their focus is on their current teams until the season is over).

The nice thing about Clawson is, his boss is now a lame duck, so he can presumably talk to whoever he wants, whenever he wants.

Most Moc fans seem to really be pushing/longing for someone with head coaching experience (we have not had the best of luck of big time assistants), putting Hudspeth and Clawson at the top of the list (especially Clawson though, since he has "straightened out" two FCS programs already). But Tony is still the sentimental favorite (HC experience or not) and the one preferred by the football alums.

hawkeye
November 3rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
I hate it for all his coaches. This is terrible on the spouses and family. Its a tough profession and easy for fans to throw rocks. I know they make good money but your going to have some tough times. I think he has done a fine job at Tenn. and hate it for coach Fulmer and his family and coaches.xsmhx

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2008, 11:04 PM

Not to be technical here, but the Tennessee newspaper articles I looked up all showed Clawson making 340k a yr, which would be 28k a month. Couldn't find anything about a buyout clause though.

Anovafan
November 4th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Not to be technical here, but the Tennessee newspaper articles I looked up all showed Clawson making 340k a yr, which would be 28k a month. Couldn't find anything about a buyout clause though.

He has a 3 year buyout around $1.2M, maybe bonuses put it to $400K annually. The way the buyout typically works is that if he gets a new job Tennessee is only on the hook for the difference between the two salaries. Either way, he gets around $1.2M over the next three years.

chattanoogamocs
November 5th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Clawson A Candidate for UTC Job?
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
November 4, 2008 - 10:44PM
Darrell Patterson

Dave Clawson, who'll likely lose his job as the Tennessee Vols offensive coordinator when a replacement for Phillip Fulmer is hired, is believed to be interested in talking to the folks at UTC about replacing Rodney Allison as the Mocs head coach.

http://www.newschannel9.com/sports/clawson_972923___article.html/coach_tennessee.html
(http://www.newschannel9.com/sports/clawson_972923___article.html/coach_tennessee.html)