PDA

View Full Version : Does beating SIU help the Leathernecks?

leatherneck177
November 3rd, 2008, 09:04 AM
Assuming they win out, they will finish at 8-3. Let's say that SIU also finishes 8-3.

This would give WIU's most impressive wins on the year @ NDSU and @ SIU. The three losses would be @ Arkansas, @ SDSU and UNI.

Do either of these teams get in? Is this game a play-in game for the 2nd MVFC spot?

siuham
November 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Your last line.

That.

It'd still be possible for SIU to get a spot if other teams stumble: IE Elon & UMass.. Though Elon stumbling would likely be to Furman giving them a compelling argument to be in.

I mentioned in the playoff prognostication thread about W&M but I think they have to win against either Richmond or JMU to get in, and if it's Richmond, Richmond would likely be out.

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 09:08 AM
It won't hurt. :p

nmatsen
November 3rd, 2008, 09:13 AM
I just don't foresee the MVC getting three teams in.

I also don't foresee SIU losing to WIU.

I do see SIU losing to SDSU.

SIU will get the at-large due to more overall victories, UNI gets the AUTO Bid, SDSU gets a slap on the back and is a member as one of the last two out.

Killsback
November 3rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
SIU is winning out, so UNI cannot stub their toe the next few weeks. The Saluki defense is really playing well and won't be threatened by WIU, SDSU or Illinois State the next three weeks. SIU will get the auto bid and UNI has to hope for the at-large call.

nmatsen
November 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM
Has to hope? Basing this argument that UNI's next 3 opponents have a combined 6 wins between them we are staring down the barrel at a 3 or 4 seed with a 10-2 record. You better not get too excited about your defense. The way the committee hates the Gateway you will probably be looking at a second round trip to the dome. We know how much your flying saluki dogs that eat children love the dome.

ValleyChamp
November 3rd, 2008, 12:26 PM
SIU better HOPE that they don't stumble with some very losable games to finish the season.

RabidRabbit
November 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Assuming they win out, they will finish at 8-3. Let's say that SIU also finishes 8-3.

This would give WIU's most impressive wins on the year @ NDSU and @ SIU. The three losses would be @ Arkansas, @ SDSU and UNI.

Do either of these teams get in? Is this game a play-in game for the 2nd MVFC spot?

IF (HUGE IF) the MoValley gets in 3 to the playoffs, it would include the winner of this game.

If Leathernecks lay an egg like last week's UNI game, they're toast.

If Salukis lose, then they are in must win the rest of the way. And with a rejuvenated Rabbits running into Carbondale, that game is shaping up to be a HUGE play in game for the JACKS.

I look at the polls, and struggle with how voters can rate MVFC teams without having the Jacks higher than the Leathernecks and Bison. SIU and SDSU are IMHO about equal, and we'll put to rest which of speedsters, Rabbits or Salukis have more point making abilities.

ValleyChamp
November 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
SDSU should definitely be ranked ahead of the Bison. That SDSU vs SIU game WILL be huge, but more so for the Salukis in my opinion. I dont see any way that SDSU gets into the playoffs as an at large selection. Meaning they would have to get the auto-bid to get in, and way too many things need to happen for the Jacks to get the auto-bid.

UNI Pike
November 3rd, 2008, 01:03 PM
SDSU is playing for respect at this point, not a bid. I know, I know, there is a possibility that SDSU could get the auto bid.

There is also a possibility of me getting together with Selma Hayek. But the odds of that and SDSU winning the autobid are about the same. Actually, SDSU probably has a better chance beacuse they would not have to get past my wife...xshhhx

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
Has to hope? Basing this argument that UNI's next 3 opponents have a combined 6 wins between them we are staring down the barrel at a 3 or 4 seed with a 10-2 record. You better not get too excited about your defense. The way the committee hates the Gateway you will probably be looking at a second round trip to the dome. We know how much your flying saluki dogs that eat children love the dome.

Not as much as we love even numbered years.xnodx

I agree with you that UNI is a cinch to win out and likely to get a seed, and that whomever is in from the MVC will play each other in the second round, probably us. (The CAA teams will be placed on both sides of the bracket and not play each other as long as possible). As for our defense, the stats do say that we shouldn't get too excited, but stats are like bikinis, what they reveal is very interesting, what they don't reveal even moreso. This defense makes big plays in big games, they have team mojo. People, and imo, polls, underestimate what this team has done so far in circumstances similar to those of Michigan and Eastern Washington, but the offense is expanding their new system each week and we could make some noise if we get in the playoffs.

RabidRabbit
November 3rd, 2008, 02:04 PM
SDSU is playing for respect at this point, not a bid. I know, I know, there is a possibility that SDSU could get the auto bid.

There is also a possibility of me getting together with Selma Hayek. But the odds of that and SDSU winning the autobid are about the same. Actually, SDSU probably has a better chance beacuse they would not have to get past my wife...xshhhx

Jacks are still playing for a bid. IF (danged big two letter word) Jacks win out, they will be 7-1, in MVFC, with only loss to UNI at UNI. They will have wins vs NDSU, SIU, WIU (ranked opponents) and 8 D-I wins. Would selection committee choose a team who finished below them in MVFC, and has no more quality OOC wins than Jacks? xnonono2x xnonono2x No way! Would the selection committee NOT select a SINGLE CO -Champ of the MVFC who's ONLY conference loss was to auto-bid winner? xoopsx xoopsx

Sure, lose, Jacks out. Win them all? MVFC has gone a fair time since they only had the auto-bid in. And when was the last time that a SINGLE Co-Champ, with 1 loss not selected from the MVFC. Jacks schedule was tougher than virtually any team in FCS this year, so they would VERY LIKELY be selected.xthumbsupx

leatherneck177
November 3rd, 2008, 02:25 PM
Jacks are still playing for a bid. IF (danged big two letter word) Jacks win out, they will be 7-1, in MVFC, with only loss to UNI at UNI. They will have wins vs NDSU, SIU, WIU (ranked opponents) and 8 D-I wins. Would selection committee choose a team who finished below them in MVFC, and has no more quality OOC wins than Jacks? xnonono2x xnonono2x No way! Would the selection committee NOT select a SINGLE CO -Champ of the MVFC who's ONLY conference loss was to auto-bid winner? xoopsx xoopsx

Sure, lose, Jacks out. Win them all? MVFC has gone a fair time since they only had the auto-bid in. And when was the last time that a SINGLE Co-Champ, with 1 loss not selected from the MVFC. Jacks schedule was tougher than virtually any team in FCS this year, so they would VERY LIKELY be selected.xthumbsupx

Jacks win out, they have to be in.

skinny_uncle
November 3rd, 2008, 02:38 PM
In answer to the original question-yes.
Will it happen? I doubt it. The strongest part of WIU's offense is running the ball (Donaldson). Unfortunately for them, the Saluki run D is lights out for the last month. It should be interesting to see how that plays out. NDSU is the last team to rush for over 100 yards against the Dawg's D.
Recent totals:

Team Rushing yards
Indiana State 99
Youngstown 70
Missouri St. 32
North Dakota 20

Anyone else see a trend?

jackmd
November 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM
Jacks win out, they have to be in.

What he said. However, lets say we do it, I'm still not counting my chickens.

leatherneck177
November 3rd, 2008, 02:48 PM
Will it happen? I doubt it. The strongest part of WIU's offense is running the ball (Donaldson). Unfortunately for them, the Saluki run D is lights out for the last month. It should be interesting to see how that plays out. NDSU is the last team to rush for over 100 yards against the Dawg's D.
Recent totals:

Team Rushing yards
Indiana State 99
Youngstown 70
Missouri St. 32
North Dakota 20

Anyone else see a trend?

Western has used Dre Gibbs/Donaldson in the backfield as well. Check with NDSU fans, we used two backs. Bottom line, we run the ball. When we can't run the ball, we can't score.

We have had some success running the ball this year though, so I anticipate a close game on Saturday.

UNI Pike
November 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM

Agree - If the Jacks win out, then they will be the second slot from the MVFC. However, I see the WIU, SIU & SDSU round robin yielding 2-1 results. Plus, you have NDSU. They would love to return the favor you gave them last year. (I think that may be a bit of an understatement).

If you make it, you deserve it. I think that it is possible, just not probable.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
Recent totals:

Team Rushing yards
Indiana State 99
Youngstown 70
Missouri St. 32
North Dakota 20

Anyone else see a trend?

I think SIU will handle WIU this weekend in Carbondale, but I do see a trend. And that is not very good teams you have played in your last 4.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
I think SIU will handle WIU this weekend in Carbondale, but I do see a trend. And that is not very good teams you have played in your last 4.

:D

Correct. But still, holding YSU and MSU to fewer yards rushing than ISUBlue? I think Donaldson will get 100 yards, we've given it up to good teams, but when he gets it will be crucial; like last year when he was over 100 yds. in the first half but was held to 35 yds in the second half, only 7 of which were gained in the 4th quarter and SIU prevailed 10-9.xnodx

Chi Panther
November 3rd, 2008, 04:11 PM
Off topic, but I don't see SDSU winning in C-dale.....sorry.

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
Not as much as we love even numbered years.xnodx

A lot of that has to do with not playing in the Dome. :D

PantherRob82
November 3rd, 2008, 05:59 PM
We have had some success running the ball this year though, so I anticipate a close game on Saturday.

Didn't you say that last week? xconfusedx

ValleyChamp
November 3rd, 2008, 06:07 PM
I really don't see SDSU making the playoffs. Way too many things have to happen.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 06:31 PM
A lot of that has to do with not playing in the Dome. :D

xoopsx It's got to end sometime.

Tell you what though, we might have stolen the game this year, but that's the kind of team we have this year: opportunists; and that's the kind that can break a streak against a team that most people think is better, although I think if we play again the gap will be narrower as we continue to adjust our personnel to a new system.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
To get back on topic yes beating SIU would help the Leathernecks quite a bit especially if either SIU or NDSU goes on to beat SDSU. I think WIU needs this game quite a bit. After watching them play I just am not sure if I can see it happening.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 07:32 PM
To get back on topic yes beating SIU would help the Leathernecks quite a bit especially if either SIU or NDSU goes on to beat SDSU. I think WIU needs this game quite a bit. After watching them play I just am not sure if I can see it happening.

I'd say it hurts them pretty badly if they don't beat SIU; conference losses to UNI, SIU, and SDSU. SIU should beat them at home, but you never know when they're going to pull one of those schizo things they've been doing this.

Pantherpower
November 3rd, 2008, 08:08 PM
Of course it will help. The team that I think has the best chance of beating the Salukis is the one that at first glance would be least likely, and that will be ILST on the road in Normal. I think the Birds will get them.

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2008, 08:13 PM
I really don't see SDSU making the playoffs. Way too many things have to happen.

I think it is pretty simple, if they win out they are in. They'll have 8 DI wins, will be 7-1 in the MVFC, would have won 5 straight games, would have played against a very tough schedule, and would have beaten SIU and WIU. The MVFC is likely to get 2 bids and if SDSU runs the table they get the last one.

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Of course it will help. The team that I think has the best chance of beating the Salukis is the one that at first glance would be least likely, and that will be ILST on the road in Normal. I think the Birds will get them.

Agreed, that's a trap game. They always play us tough, it would make their season, and getting up emotionally after WIU and SDSU won't be easy. Bound to have some injuries in those two games.

JayJ79
November 3rd, 2008, 09:16 PM
xoopsx It's got to end sometime.

Tell you what though, we might have stolen the game this year, but that's the kind of team we have this year: opportunists; and that's the kind that can break a streak against a team that most people think is better, although I think if we play again the gap will be narrower as we continue to adjust our personnel to a new system.

SIU isn't the only team that has improved in the past month or two.

Pantherpower
November 3rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Agreed, that's a trap game. They always play us tough, it would make their season, and getting up emotionally after WIU and SDSU won't be easy. Bound to have some injuries in those two games.

You nailed it. I didn't mean it as a slight to SIU, but as you mentioned, they always seem to play you guys tough; even in down years such as this one.

Houndawg
November 4th, 2008, 07:18 AM
You nailed it. I didn't mean it as a slight to SIU, but as you mentioned, they always seem to play you guys tough; even in down years such as this one.

Looking at our schedule before the season, I felt the same way about MoState because I thought we'd be drained after a tough game at a ranked YSU. I was almost half-right.