PDA

View Full Version : If your team could have only 1 All-American...

Jerbearasu
November 2nd, 2008, 10:10 PM
Thought this might be fun as we only have a few weeks left in the season...

Obviously for App Armanti would be a strong candidate but with other QB's having good seasons as well (Landers, Higgins, Brown, Riddle, Coen, Bomar, Bernquist, etc), I think the obvious choice has to be Mark Legree (FS).

Stats: 8 games played, 40 total tackles (23 solo), 2 TFL (1 sack), 3 PBR, 1 FF, and a whopping 7 INT's including 3 against a team who had yet to throw an INT all year and an INT against Georgia Southern to win the game.

Let's hear them. Remember only 1 per team and I am not looking for your team's best player necessarily but the one that has the best stats to be considered an All-American.

crusader11
November 2nd, 2008, 10:21 PM
Dom Randolph.

33 completions per game (most in the nation)
337 yards per game (2nd most in the nation)
23 touchdowns (5th in the nation)...has 4 rushing as well
Is also greatly responsible for leading HC to 26.4 first downs per game (most in the nation)

He does not get as much exposure as some of the other QBs, but I would think he should be considered, and have a decent shot, for the Walter Payton Award and All American.

Big Dawg
November 2nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
I'm going to name 2 of FAMU's impact players, QB Curtis Pulley and Safety/KR Leroy Vann

Pulley has thrown for 897 yards 11 TD's and 4 INT's and has also rushed for 583 yards on 83 carries with 2 TD's...and he splits time with another QB which is STUPID, IMO.

Vann has 821 yards on Kick Returns with a long of 99 yards and 293 yards on punt returns with a long of 92 yards. He also has returned 4 or 5 kicks for TD's.

Both of those guys have been big and have put FAMU in position to win games this season. I'm gonna pick Pulley because he doesn't take all the snaps and without him I don't know where this team would be. Vann is a close 2nd

Jerbearasu
November 2nd, 2008, 11:25 PM
Dom Randolph.

33 completions per game (most in the nation)
337 yards per game (2nd most in the nation)
23 touchdowns (5th in the nation)...has 4 rushing as well
Is also greatly responsible for leading HC to 26.4 first downs per game (most in the nation)

He does not get as much exposure as some of the other QBs, but I would think he should be considered, and have a decent shot, for the Walter Payton Award and All American.

Good stats... I haven't payed attention to HC as much as i should so far. Those are pretty decent stats but when you say completions per game a fair stat would also include attempts per game... What is his completion percentage and also QB rating?

KiddBrewer
November 2nd, 2008, 11:34 PM
MARK LEGREE gets my vote from App. which may be suprising, because if you dont follow Appalachian very closely, you may not know the name.

GolfingGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:35 PM
Marc Mariani

9 games

13 receiving TDs

165 Total yards per game

siuham
November 2nd, 2008, 11:41 PM
Larry Warner

956 yards rushing, 7 TD's
80 yards receiving
518 return yards, 2 TD's.

1554 all-purpose yards (#1 in the nation)

crusader11
November 2nd, 2008, 11:46 PM
Good stats... I haven't payed attention to HC as much as i should so far. Those are pretty decent stats but when you say completions per game a fair stat would also include attempts per game... What is his completion percentage and also QB rating?

He attempts 48 passes a game, and thus completes 68% of his passes. His passer rating is 140.5, and it probably should be even higher if some of the passes were not deflected off a receiver's hands and into a defenders. He has thrown some passes that he probably should have thrown away or taken the sack, but some of the interceptions are on the receivers end.

Jerbearasu
November 2nd, 2008, 11:51 PM
Marc Mariani

9 games

13 receiving TDs

165 Total yards per game

Love it... 45 catches. Over 20 YPC... Now in your honest opinion does he deserve it more than Ramses Barden, Terrell Hudgins or Andre Roberts and why?

JMUSaxMRD
November 2nd, 2008, 11:52 PM
I'm tempted to say Landers... but then I'm not...

I pick SCOTTY MCGEE!

Jerbearasu
November 2nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Larry Warner

956 yards rushing, 7 TD's
80 yards receiving
518 return yards, 2 TD's.

1554 all-purpose yards (#1 in the nation)

Have to be honest this is the first I am hearing his name. After Hill, Zumbrusky and Jacobs it's been tough thinking about who the Salukis would find next to step up. They've had a great season though and if you say he's in the driver's seat for AA then I have to go your way. I love Donaldson and Scott though just because I've known of them for a while...

siuham
November 3rd, 2008, 12:10 AM
Warner is our only Stand-out on offense. He had 256 yards rushing alone this week against ND, including a 75 yard touchdown.

He set the tone for the UNI game returning the opening kick-off, and also returned a kick-off against Hampton right after HU scored to kill any momentum they thought about taking.

Our defense is pretty good, but it's a definite team defense, not a single person stand-out, though a couple have had big games.

UNCBears2010
November 3rd, 2008, 12:12 AM
Christian Sarmento

106 Tackles (#3 in the nation)
10 TFL
7 Sacks
2 PBU
4 FF

Maroon&White
November 3rd, 2008, 12:15 AM
Victor Cruz - WR - Massachusetts

9 games
56 catches
923 yds
16.5 yds/catch
6 TDs
102.56 ypg (tied with Mariani and Hudgins)

coover
November 3rd, 2008, 12:30 AM
Ramses Barden ... Probably as good a wide receiver as there is in the NCAA, FBS, FCS, DII, or DIII.

He'll be a first round draft choice for somebody this year.

UNCBears2010
November 3rd, 2008, 12:38 AM
Ramses Barden ... Probably as good a wide receiver as there is in the NCAA, FBS, FCS, DII, or DIII.

As good as Michael Crabtree or Percy Harvin?

FargoBison
November 3rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
OLB Ramon Humber
75 Tackles, 9.5 TFL, 3.5 Sacks, 1 Int, 2 BrUp, 6 QBH, 2 FF

The guy is all over the field making plays.

unipanthers8907
November 3rd, 2008, 01:00 AM

lol Barden is good and he probably will be drafted, but he will never be in the same sentence as Crabtree and Harvin.

Peems
November 3rd, 2008, 01:02 AM
lol Barden is good and he probably will be drafted, but he will never be in the same sentence as Crabtree and Harvin.

Maybe not in College, but he has tools that you can't teach, the main one being size.

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM
Greg Miller

coover
November 3rd, 2008, 01:08 AM

If you get an opportunity to watch him in the playoffs this year, I think you will find yourself agreeing with me.

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2008, 01:36 AM

are you delusional?

coover
November 3rd, 2008, 01:56 AM
are you delusional?

No!

It's obvious you haven't seen Barden yet. Don't tell me anybody is better until you've seen him play.

But there is more to Barden than his athletic ability. He's very bright, an honor Engineering student, not just some dumb jock who is only in school because he's bigger, stronger, and/or faster than most others.

But fortunately for Poly, he is bigger, stronger, and faster than most. How the FBS recruiters missed him is hard to understand.

Jerbearasu
November 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
are you delusional?
some of the best WRs have come from the fcs (TO, randy moss, and jerry rice just to name a few). Why is it inconceivable barden doesn't fit this mold?

bjtheflamesfan
November 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
My first most obvious choice is Rashad Jennings but definitely would consider Dominic Bolden as a kick returner

beauvighn
November 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
Armanti Edwards is the best player in FCS football and if he played for a BCS school he would be in the running for the Heisman. Put AE on any FCS team and the4y are the favorite to win the NC.

FUwolfpacker
November 3rd, 2008, 08:48 AM
I know we're just supposed to pick one, but I'd be fine with either one of these guys...

OT - Joel Bell
CB - William Middleton: 80 tackles, 6.5 tackles for loss, 5 sacks, 4 INT's, 7 passes defended, at least 1 fumble recovery

813Jag
November 3rd, 2008, 08:49 AM
My vote goes to Juamorris Stewart of Southern. Here are his numbers: 57 REC 849 YDS 14.9 AVG 11 TD
Thanks University of Southern Mississippi!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/cdwells750/ochoocho.jpg

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
UNH punter Tom Bishop is having a fantastic season

UNCBears2010
November 3rd, 2008, 09:18 AM
No!

It's obvious you haven't seen Barden yet. Don't tell me anybody is better until you've seen him play.

But there is more to Barden than his athletic ability. He's very bright, an honor Engineering student, not just some dumb jock who is only in school because he's bigger, stronger, and/or faster than most others.

But fortunately for Poly, he is bigger, stronger, and faster than most. How the FBS recruiters missed him is hard to understand.

I bet the FBS recruiters didn't miss him. Like you said, he's smart, probably chose Cal Poly to get his education. I had a friend that was a running back for my HS, and he got looks from several Division I teams, both FBS and FCS, but went to the D2 Colorado School of Mines so he could get a good (free) education.

siuham
November 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM

xlolx

I expected you to be a Delaware fan talking about your punter as a bright spot.

He must be good then. :)

Panther88
November 3rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
My vote goes to Juamorris Stewart of Southern. Here are his numbers: 57 REC 849 YDS 14.9 AVG 11 TD
Thanks University of Southern Mississippi!
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa108/cdwells750/ochoocho.jpg

No Bryant Lee 8Jag? xconfusedx

Man, give us BLee and we WALK through the SWAC unblemished. xthumbsupx

813Jag
November 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
No Bryant Lee 8Jag? xconfusedx

Man, give us BLee and we WALK through the SWAC unblemished. xthumbsupx
BLee is a given, I picked Stewart because he stepped up big time in replacing Landry and is having a career season. Plus some of the catches he's made...xeekx

appmaj
November 3rd, 2008, 10:04 AM
I still go AE...

JmuSkinsfan
November 3rd, 2008, 10:08 AM
Obviously, Rodney Landers. But, that is just as obvious as an App fan saying AE. So I'll give the 2nd in my opinion...

I would have to go with Scotty McGee. He has won two games for us (UR and probably ASU). He also has 4 returns this season.

PR: 22 returns, 13.6 YPR, 3 TDs
KR: 13 returns, 34.8 YPR, 1 TD

The one thing that can't be shown here is starting field position. Kicking away from Scotty is killing opposing teams.

UNIFanSince1983
November 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
I would say either Darrell Lloyd or James Ruffin for the Panthers.

Lloyd is our second leading tackler and has blocked 3 kicks including the very important EP against Youngstown last week.

Ruffin has 43 Tackles, 10.5 TFL, 6 Sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR and has blocked 1 kick.

Woof
November 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Armanti Edwards is the best player in FCS football and if he played for a BCS school he would be in the running for the Heisman. Put AE on any FCS team and the4y are the favorite to win the NC.

Even though it is a xbandwagonx pick, I have to agree. He can kill you with his arm and/or his feet. I used to think he was primarily dangerous on the broken play, but am now a believer that he has the total package. He threw one ball against us on Friday that the annoucers calculated as being65 yards on a line and made it look like he had arm to spare! There are lots of good players around the league, but nobody is more of a game changer than this guy. I guarantee the Gamecocks or Tigers would take him now !

smallcollegefbfan
November 3rd, 2008, 10:11 AM

He one of the best for sure. I was thinking more like 2nd or 3rd round but that would be awesome to see him go 1st round. I know he isn't near 1st round now but hopefully the Senior Bowl invites him and he does well enough to end up in the 1st round like DRC and Flacco did.

Panther88
November 3rd, 2008, 10:18 AM
BLee is a given, I picked Stewart because he stepped up big time in replacing Landry and is having a career season. Plus some of the catches he's made...xeekx

Tis true. But w/out someone to put it there where he needs it while more than naught avoiding a rush and making GREAT reads... I'm ridiculously prejudiced towards QBs. lol True, a great QB needs great WRs to go get it but if one is under constant pressure and STILL delivers? He's numero uno greatest in my book.

Hats off to Mr Lee!xthumbsupx

813Jag
November 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Tis true. But w/out someone to put it there where he needs it while more than naught avoiding a rush and making GREAT reads... I'm ridiculously prejudiced towards QBs. lol True, a great QB needs great WRs to go get it but if one is under constant pressure and STILL delivers? He's numero uno greatest in my book.

Hats off to Mr Lee!xthumbsupx
I'm not discounting Lee at all, he'll be one of the best QBs at Southern when he finishes. But the reason why I listed Stewart here is because his play has elevated to a level I didn't expect. He's put it all together and he's making plays similar to Michael Hayes and that great WR core of '03.

appst97
November 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Obviously, Rodney Landers. But, that is just as obvious as an App fan saying AE. So I'll give the 2nd in my opinion...

I would have to go with Scotty McGee. He has won two games for us (UR and probably ASU). He also has 4 returns this season.

PR: 22 returns, 13.6 YPR, 3 TDs
KR: 13 returns, 34.8 YPR, 1 TD

The one thing that can't be shown here is starting field position. Kicking away from Scotty is killing opposing teams.

If McGee isn't an All-American at the returner position then something is wrong. His KR against App was the momentum changer that JMU used to roll thru the 2nd half, very similar to Legree's first (of three) Friday night.

But my Vote still goes for Armanti!

appfan2008
November 3rd, 2008, 10:31 AM
MARK LEGREE gets my vote from App. which may be suprising, because if you dont follow Appalachian very closely, you may not know the name.

even if you do follow app you may not... he only bursted onto the scene a few weeks ago and as he kept intercepting passes on friday i kept having to tell people in the stands around me who he was... they had no idea...

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 3rd, 2008, 10:33 AM
xlolx

I expected you to be a Delaware fan talking about your punter as a bright spot.

He must be good then. :)

I knew I'd get it for listing a punterxnodx

clenz
November 3rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
I would say either Darrell Lloyd or James Ruffin for the Panthers.

Lloyd is our second leading tackler and has blocked 3 kicks including the very important EP against Youngstown last week.

Ruffin has 43 Tackles, 10.5 TFL, 6 Sacks, 2 FF, 1 FR and has blocked 1 kick.
I thought that The Claw...er...The Clew or Cloo or whatever it is, got that kick.

At any rate I would agree with this.

grizband
November 3rd, 2008, 10:52 AM
Mariani is the obvious choice for the Griz, so I will choose our punter, Ken Wood. As a RS Freshman, he averages 41.9 yards/punt, 5/29 punts have gone for 50+ yards (long of 73), and he has put 8/29 punts inside the 20.

Out To Lunch
November 3rd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Adrian Tracy, DE William & Mary

Maroon&White
November 3rd, 2008, 11:18 AM

Wow, completely forgot about our punter. Now that you say it, I'd go with Brett Arnold for UMass.

Not only leads the conference in punting average (Bishop is 4th), but is #1 in country with 44.89yds a punt. xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 3rd, 2008, 11:21 AM
It would have to be a force on D. With the way JMU is playing, the D is what has me a little worried. We made some good adjustments from the Nova game in terms of def. schemes to help the young LBs, but it is still a weak spot.

Not naming anyone, but I'd take a LB/DE type.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 11:29 AM
He one of the best for sure. I was thinking more like 2nd or 3rd round but that would be awesome to see him go 1st round. I know he isn't near 1st round now but hopefully the Senior Bowl invites him and he does well enough to end up in the 1st round like DRC and Flacco did.

I do not think that Ramses has a fast enough 40 time to go in the first round (I think he will run around a 4.5 forty), but I think with a good Senior Bowl and combine he could go as high as the second round. He is a beast of a WR who uses his big body well when going after a ball. I think that he could be an impact player in the NFL like Marques Colston from Hofstra has been for the Saints.

mainejeff
November 3rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
For Maine: Jovan Belcher - DL

already123
November 3rd, 2008, 03:38 PM
No!

Yes, I have always wondered this. How does a 6'6 reciever with good biuld and speed go overlooked in CALIFORNIA? Isn't Cali the second more recruited state in the country??!!
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

already123
November 3rd, 2008, 03:41 PM
Our vote would be Cornerback KJ Gerard
His numbers speak for themselves...

19 career INTs
over 200 tackles
over 40 TFLs
over 30 PBUs

ericsaid
November 3rd, 2008, 05:06 PM
some of the best WRs have come from the fcs (TO, randy moss, and jerry rice just to name a few). Why is it inconceivable barden doesn't fit this mold?

Not to burst your bubble but Randy Moss made his way to 1-aa Marshall by way of royally SCREWING UP at bigger schools. Wouldn't count him even though he did play at a 1-AA school.

gbhmt
November 3rd, 2008, 06:49 PM
Love it... 45 catches. Over 20 YPC... Now in your honest opinion does he deserve it more than Ramses Barden, Terrell Hudgins or Andre Roberts and why?

Since when do they only choose one WR as All-American?

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2008, 06:53 PM
Pat Illig- OL he's huge and pretty beastly. Just a sophomore but some believe him to have NFL talent.

Silenoz
November 3rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
I'll give Cole Bergquist some love. Last I heard he was trailing only Dally in QB rating

coover
November 3rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
He (Barden) one of the best for sure. I was thinking more like 2nd or 3rd round but that would be awesome to see him go 1st round. I know he isn't near 1st round now but hopefully the Senior Bowl invites him and he does well enough to end up in the 1st round like DRC and Flacco did.

Ramses Barden has been invited to play in the East - West game in Houston on January 17. I don't know whether that conflicts with the Senior Bowl and whether or not he'll be invited to that game. But the East - West will be televised on ESPN 2.

Thunderstruck84
November 3rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Tyler Roehl: 832 yards, 6.0 ypc, 10 TDs

But I'd take Armanti Edwards
or Cole Berquist
or Scott Riddle
or Jonathan Dally
or R.J. Toman
or Liam Coen
or Cameron Higgins
or Nathan Brown

...in fact just give me any QB you have, maybe you're towel boy has an accurate arm and a head on his shoulders... maybe your punter wants a shot under center.

letsgopards04
November 3rd, 2008, 07:19 PM
Andy Romans - LB

malibudude
November 3rd, 2008, 07:25 PM
[/B]

Yes, I have always wondered this. How does a 6'6 reciever with good biuld and speed go overlooked in CALIFORNIA? Isn't Cali the second more recruited state in the country??!!
xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Basketball player out of a small SoCal high school, Flintridge Prep. Played a bit of football his senior year. He red shirted his freshmen year and just continued to develop. This is why scouting services for high school atheletes are just keeping bums in a job, IMHO.

appstate1998
November 3rd, 2008, 07:31 PM
punters aren't real people....Mike Golic said so

MaroonDoom
November 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM
Allan Holland/ QB/ EKU

DTSpider
November 3rd, 2008, 07:51 PM
Richmond - Justin Rogers - CB

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 09:03 PM

I think it would take a big game from him against Wisconsin for an NFL team to consider using a precious first round pick on him. A big performance on that stage might help stimulate media hype, which would be essential--an NFL coach/GM is less likely to be on the hot seat for a small school pick that's on everyone else's radar too.

Oh, and he's actually working on a business degree, concentrating in marketing.:)

coover
November 3rd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Go here ...

http://gopoly.com/uploads/BardenCatch2.wmv

for a video of one of Ramses Barden's one handed catch against Idaho State. It is the 2nd play on the clip.

I apoligize for CBS's poor coverage on this. They only had one camera in the stadium.

Hoyadestroya85
November 3rd, 2008, 11:46 PM

Because Michael Crabtree is dominating against ridiculous competition..
I'm not disputing that Barden is a great player, but he's not on the same level as Crabtree

813Jag
November 4th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Not to burst your bubble but Randy Moss made his way to 1-aa Marshall by way of royally SCREWING UP at bigger schools. Wouldn't count him even though he did play at a 1-AA school.
So does that count for any other transfer? Because I'm sure most schools have some?

BobcatJH
November 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Armanti Edwards.....All this guy does is win, and win consistently.

Bulldog Fan
November 4th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Paul Polomski - LB - Bryant U

PhoenixPhan06
November 5th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Hmm, Scott Riddle or Terrell "T-Mobile" Hudgins? While I know that both players are essential to our success, I'd have to go with Terrell Hudgins.

I could argue valid points for both players and what makes it even tougher is that their greatness depends on one another. I decided on Hudgins (Jr.) over Riddle (So.) for the fact that he had 1000+ yards receiving his freshman year without a great QB. Sure Wes Pope was an upgrade from the previous disasters at QB but not the caliber QB that Riddle is.

PhoenixSupreme
November 5th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hmm, Scott Riddle or Terrell "T-Mobile" Hudgins? While I know that both players are essential to our success, I'd have to go with Terrell Hudgins.

I could argue valid points for both players and what makes it even tougher is that their greatness depends on one another. I decided on Hudgins (Jr.) over Riddle (So.) for the fact that he had 1000+ yards receiving his freshman year without a great QB. Sure Wes Pope was an upgrade from the previous disasters at QB but not the caliber QB that Riddle is.

I could see either being Elon's All-American representative as well, and you're right about them being dependent on one another.

I'd like to maybe mention Andrew Wilcox (the PK) as a candidate. While a PK isn't as stellar as a QB or a WR, Elon wouldn't have won as many games so far this year without Wilcox's clutch kicking. He is 18-20 in FGs and has nailed quite a few from the 40-49 yard range as well. He had 5 FGs in the Georgia Southern game, a game which was won by 2 pts, and was 3-for-4 in the 6 pt win over Samford, as well as 2-2 in the 4 pt victory over the Citadel. I just feel that his relative consistency thus far is one of the critical aspects as to why Elon is 7-2 right now instead of maybe 4-5

madisonfan87
November 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I'm tempted to say Landers... but then I'm not...

I pick SCOTTY MCGEE!
xbowx xhurrayx

Walkon79
November 5th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Bobby Daly. Just because