PDA

View Full Version : If Elon Loses to App on Nov. 15 do they make the playoffs?

ASU_MBA
November 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
Just a thought and question....

Could Elon be playing for not only a share of the SoCon title but a playoff berth as well?

If they have 3 loses to Wofford, Richmond and App do they make it....?

Assuming both teams win out of course....

19Duke97
November 2nd, 2008, 08:17 PM
Too early to tell - we'll have to wait and see if there are any upsets that knock other teams down, but it would put them severely on the bubble. I think it may come down to UMASS vs Elon for the last at large bid. Given last year with 5 CAA bids, that may help Elon..

ASUdrummer
November 2nd, 2008, 08:19 PM
If the SoCon gets 3 teams in they get the bid. I don't see the SoCon NOT getting 3 teams in.

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2008, 08:41 PM
UMass is not making the playoffs, so if it comes down to them and Elon, Elon is a lock.

LarryBoy
November 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM
The wildcard here is if Furman wins against GSU and Wofford. If that's the case, Elon, Wofford, and Furman could end up with identical records (both overall and conference). In this scenario, rankings-wise, it'll be Furman, Wofford, and Elon in order. It helps Furman that the loss to Elon came earlier on.

I think all four should get in, but in this scenario, if anyone stays home, it's probably Elon.

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 08:45 PM
Elon has one ace - the win over Furman.

If UMass wins out, and finishes 9-3, they are more deserving than Elon.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
Im sorry, but........ Elon has lost to the Number #3 (Richmond when they played them), #4( Wofford) , and if App #2 teams in the nation.........and if those are the only losses.....they deserve at large period

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2008, 09:12 PM
On the basis of what? Beating a little-tested UNH team? In that case, UNH doesn't make it and you'll catch grief from everyone on here about that. There is zero chance they both make it. UMass has one chance for a semi-quality win left, but if they get it, they might knock that team out of the playoffs, thereby rendering it not-as-quality of a win. No offense to Maine, but beating them is not going to earn UMass a bid either.

4th and What?
November 2nd, 2008, 09:38 PM

Elon's more holding onto a King and just praying it holds up. They need to at least look good against App St and then have a good win against Liberty to close out the season. If they get blown out by App, and then go to Lynchburg and not look very strong, they are going to have a tough time getting in. When you are on the bubble, you need to finish strong the last few weeks. Whoever ends up winning out in the CAA North, whether it is UNH, UMass, or Maine, will look a lot stronger at the end of the season than Elon. Though if the CAA North teams finish 1-1 with each other, they are in the same boat as I think Elon will be in. Of course on the flip side, Elon could go and beat App St, and they would be in.

Forget both the CAA and SoCon though, UC Davis will get a win over Cal Poly and you'll see two teams from the Great West in the playoffs! Yeahhh!!!! Go Aggies!!!! xthumbsupx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2008, 09:39 PM
If Elon has 9 wins they should be in, period. And they do not have to beat App to get 9 wins.

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Im sorry, but........ Elon has lost to the Number #3 (Richmond when they played them), #4( Wofford) , and if App #2 teams in the nation.........and if those are the only losses.....they deserve at large period

Anyone can lose to top 5 teams, why should that get them into the playoffs?

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM

especially because one of their losses is against Texas Tech

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM
If Elon has 9 wins they should be in, period. And they do not have to beat App to get 9 wins.

I agree with this.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 2nd, 2008, 09:52 PM
If Elon finishes with 9 wins and UMass does also win out compare the wins.........

Elon- Stony Brook, Presbyterian, Furman (ranked), @ Citadel (Was ranked), @ GA Southern (Was Ranked), @ Liberty , Western Carolina, Samford Chattanooga

UMass- Albany, @ Holy Cross, Delaware, Northeastern, Bryant, @ Rhode Island, Maine (Ranked), @ UNH (Ranked), and Hofstra..........

hm..... I dont know if you completely understand how tough away games in Charleston and Statesboro truly are....

PaladinFan
November 2nd, 2008, 09:55 PM
Someone from the SoCon is going to get screwed.

I'm wondering if a 9-3 Furman would get in over a 9-3 Elon even though the Phoneix would have won the head to head. Furman would get a win over a top 10 (Wofford) and have two FCS losses compared to Elon's three.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 2nd, 2008, 09:58 PM

I'm wondering if a 9-3 Furman would get in over a 9-3 Elon even though the Phoneix would have won the head to head. Furman would get a win over a top 10 (Wofford) and have two FCS losses compared to Elon's three.

I really hope no one from the SoCon gets screwed because it is the CAA's turn..... I think App is the only lock right now. If Elon beats Western and Liberty and gets to 9 wins then......they should be in. The Wofford and Furman game might decide the third.... even though all four should be in IMO xwhistlex

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 10:00 PM
If Elon finishes with 9 wins and UMass does also win out compare the wins.........

Elon- Stony Brook, Presbyterian, Furman (ranked), @ Citadel (Was ranked), @ GA Southern (Was Ranked), @ Liberty , Western Carolina, Samford Chattanooga

UMass- Albany, @ Holy Cross, Delaware, Northeastern, Bryant, @ Rhode Island, Maine (Ranked), @ UNH (Ranked), and Hofstra..........

hm..... I dont know if you completely understand how tough away games in Charleston and Statesboro truly are....

Please don't use the "Ranked at the time" argument - it is BS. Early season rankings are a crap shoot, and have no value when determing quality wins.

Elon hasn't beaten Liberty yet...

For that matter, Delaware was ranked at one time this season, but no one would consider that a quality win.

Every conference has tough places to win. Charleston or Statesboro are cream puffs compared to Missoula ;).

matfu
November 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
it could be very interesting if furman wins out (9-3) and elon loses only to app state (9-3) and that would mean wofford if they win out except for furman would be 9-3 also. finishing strong has meant alot in the past so i would think furman would trump elon. of course wofford could lose to samford or citadel, furman to ga southern or wofford, elon to liberty. if furman wins out, i really like our chances. 8-3, 9-3 almost always gets a caa or so con team in the playoffs, but yes, someone could get screwed this year. hopefuly it will shake out within no one getting screwed.

umassfan
November 2nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
If UMass wins out they will be in PERIOD!

Their losses would be to BCS #2, GPI #1 and 3. How would you leave a team with only those losses out?

youwouldno
November 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
The committee cares about good wins more than it cares about "good" losses . If UMass wins out they're in, because its five in a row with a quality road win over UNH (though UNH is admittedly overrated).

The problem for Elon is that their home win against Furman really isn't very helpful. If Furman beats GSU and Wofford, then one of Elon/Furman/Wofford will get the shaft, and it will be Elon. The head-to-head can't be used to decide anything because, in this scenario, Furman beat Wofford, Wofford beat Elon, and Elon beat Furman. So it's a circular argument.

The deciding factor will be who has the better wins. In this scenario, those would be something like this:

Furman (after Wofford, the order is arbitrary right now)
@ Wofford
@ Samford OR home vs. GSU
@ Colgate

Wofford
@ Elon
@ GSU
@ Samford

Elon
Furman
@ GSU
@ Liberty

The two best wins on this list are @ Wofford and @ Elon... leaving Elon on the outside.

The real kicker would be if Elon won @ App St. That would put Elon in and bring it down to Wofford vs. Furman... in that case, I think the committee would have to go with the head-to-head, since it is @ Wofford and is the last game of the season for both teams.

In any case, I don't think the decision will actually be so difficult... Wofford is a favorite vs. Furman and if the Terriers win out, they are a lock, Furman is eliminated, and Elon is on the bubble, probably competing with a CAA team for one of the last spots.

SLO_LIFE
November 3rd, 2008, 01:21 AM
If UMass wins out they will be in PERIOD!

Their losses would be to BCS #2, GPI #1 and 3. How would you leave a team with only those losses out?

I don't think it's so much about the quality of your defeats as it is about the quality of your victories. That's not at all to say UMass isn't deserving; just important to keep it in the right perspective when assessing any team's case--especially those teams with tougher schedules.

Tribe4SF
November 3rd, 2008, 04:13 AM
It's about both wins, and losses. If ASU destroys Elon (as I think they will), it will be the third time they've come up way short against top FCS teams.

The Cats
November 3rd, 2008, 06:57 AM
Assuming both teams win out of course....

nice after thought. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xlolx xlolx xlolx

alexale23
November 3rd, 2008, 07:34 AM
YES they are in

appfan2008
November 3rd, 2008, 07:38 AM
at 9-3 the losses that Elon would have... there is no way you can leave them out

Eaglegus2
November 3rd, 2008, 07:47 AM
Please don't use the "Ranked at the time" argument - it is BS. Early season rankings are a crap shoot, and have no value when determing quality wins.

Elon hasn't beaten Liberty yet...

For that matter, Delaware was ranked at one time this season, but no one would consider that a quality win.

Every conference has tough places to win. Charleston or Statesboro are cream puffs compared to Missoula ;).

I have a vague rememberance of NAU coming to Statesboro. What was the score? I do believe you were treated worse than Missoula.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2008, 07:54 AM

Sure, Furman would have 2 FCS losses to Elon's 3. But Elon would have 9 D-I wins to Furman's 8, with a win over Furman.

We'll be screwed. We've been screwed before (1999). 9-2, which was 7-2 without D-II wins, 4-2 against ranked opponents. Ranked 8th in the Sagarin for I-AA.

elcid96
November 3rd, 2008, 07:58 AM
If the SoCon gets 3 teams in they get the bid. I don't see the SoCon NOT getting 3 teams in.

Based on what I saw last year, The SOCON will be lucky to get three bids.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 3rd, 2008, 08:06 AM

Of course GSU, Elon, and El Cid were all 7-4 with one sub-DI win. This time Furman is the only team with a realistic playoff chance that has a sub-DI win. That will hurt them if they end up with the same record as Elon.

Hopefully GSU will spare the committee of having to pick between Elon and Furman.

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
Of course GSU, Elon, and El Cid were all 7-4 with one sub-DI win. This time Furman is the only team with a realistic playoff chance that has a sub-DI win. That will hurt them if they end up with the same record as Elon.

Hopefully GSU will spare the committee of having to pick between Elon and Furman.

Thank you. A lot of people always fail to see that without 7 D-I wins, it's much less of a "screw job" than people think. The real irony is that I think a 7-4 Ga. So. deserves to be in this year, but there will be too many 8-3 type teams to let that happen.

If I'm reading the schedule right (and I really only glanced at it) the SoCon should have 4 playoff "eligible" teams at the end of the year (barring any crazy upsets). I think at least 3 get in, with Furman possibly being on the outside looking in because of the sub D-I win. Of course, if Furman wins the head to head with Wofford, it will be interesting. Could we be looking at the sequel of "Woofed"??

Woof
November 3rd, 2008, 08:21 AM

Agreed. As long as CAA officials are licking the envelopes for the invites, someone in the SoCon will get "woofed"..... and we all know who that is most likely to be since we coined the term. xmadx xmadx xmadx

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
I have a vague rememberance of NAU coming to Statesboro. What was the score? I do believe you were treated worse than Missoula.

Damn, I was hoping no one remembered that. I sure as heck have tried to forget it...;)

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 08:38 AM
Agreed. As long as CAA officials are licking the envelopes for the invites, someone in the SoCon will get "woofed"..... and we all know who that is most likely to be since we coined the term. xmadx xmadx xmadx

Seriously?? Since when did the CAA officials lick the invites?
The only team from the CAA that anybody could have a beef with last year was UNH, and they were definitely not the worst at-large team. On top of that, the only SoCon team that had an argument was GSU and they didn't have 7 D-I wins. A SoCon fan's already pointed that out, but perhaps it should be emphasized again.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2008, 10:03 AM
Seriously?? Since when did the CAA officials lick the invites?
The only team from the CAA that anybody could have a beef with last year was UNH, and they were definitely not the worst at-large team. On top of that, the only SoCon team that had an argument was GSU and they didn't have 7 D-I wins. A SoCon fan's already pointed that out, but perhaps it should be emphasized again.

Except that 7 D-I wins is not a requirement. And the fact that everyone keeps saying that only perpetuates this myth that it is a requirement.

Also, Elon was as deserving as GSU was too. Same record. Elon beat GSU. Both slouched near the end of the year.

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 10:10 AM
Except that 7 D-I wins is not a requirement. And the fact that everyone keeps saying that only perpetuates this myth that it is a requirement.

Also, Elon was as deserving as GSU was too. Same record. Elon beat GSU. Both slouched near the end of the year.

I never said it was a requirement. But when you get down to it, it's obvious that it's something the committee looks at.

I also think it hurt them that they both appeared to slouch at the end.

Either way, the beef shouldn't be with the CAA. I'm pretty sure the OVC got an at-large and neither of their teams looked as competitive as UNH.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2008, 10:17 AM
I never said it was a requirement. But when you get down to it, it's obvious that it's something the committee looks at.

Either way, the beef shouldn't be with the CAA. I'm pretty sure the OVC got an at-large and neither of their teams looked as competitive as UNH.

Slouching at the end was probably a big reason for lack of consideration. But we've all be through the arguments before. D-II vs Non-Scholarship games and why do D-II penalize while NS FCS does not (ie UNH playing Iona). I think that is a real gripe.

And I think the bigger gripe goes to regionalization, which seems to hurt eastern teams more than others because it seems the NCAA wants to spread bids evenly across the various regions.

Anyway. I just don't like people talking like 7 D-I wins is some requirement, when it isn't. Just like there is no cap on how many teams a conference can get in.

Woof
November 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Seriously?? Since when did the CAA officials lick the invites? .

Yes, seriously....Since a committee chaired by a CAA guy invited a record 5 teams from its own conference to a 16 team playoff !...no sour grapes, just the facts xwhistlex

DX Man
November 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM
IF Elon loses to App and IF Furman wins out, I think Furman will get a bid.

PhoenixPhan06
November 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
Assuming we win our games against Western Carolina (HC) and @ Liberty, a loss in Boone would hurt our chances and possibly put us on the bubble but I don't think it will be enough to keep us out.

Furman right now is the feather in our cap. Add in the other 2 road wins over then top 25 opponents GSU and The Citadel along with a good record in one of the strongest conferences in America and that should be enough.

I know some of you may sneeze at wins over GSU and The Citadel but thats why I emphasize then top 25. We can't help how they play in the rest of their games but when we played them, they were top 25 teams.

Hopefully it all won't come down to this and we can sneak away with a win in Boone.

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Yes, seriously....Since a committee chaired by a CAA guy invited a record 5 teams from its own conference to a 16 team playoff !...no sour grapes, just the facts xwhistlex

See my above post.

Also, the CAA guy has to step out of the room, I think.

Do you really think the 5th CAA team was the last one to get in? If not, then what's the issue? If I were a SoCon fan, I'd be mad that the OVC got two bids instead of another SoCon team.

How many OVC people are on the committee? Do you know?

WrenFGun
November 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM
On the basis of what? Beating a little-tested UNH team? In that case, UNH doesn't make it and you'll catch grief from everyone on here about that. There is zero chance they both make it. UMass has one chance for a semi-quality win left, but if they get it, they might knock that team out of the playoffs, thereby rendering it not-as-quality of a win. No offense to Maine, but beating them is not going to earn UMass a bid either.

UNH and UMass could both make the field, but it would require the CAA getting five bids. UMass could get in at 8-4, with a loss to UNH, if Richmond beats W&M and the CAA gets 5 bids again. UMass would get in at 9-3, IMO, with a tiebreaker over UNH. What happens if UNH beats 'Nova but loses to UMass (assume, for hypothetical purposes, both beat Maine)? That leaves 9-2 UNH and 9-3 UMass from the North, and both of those teams are getting in. Then you have either 8-3 W&M or 9-3 Richmond along with 8-3 Villanova and 10-1 JMU. What if Richmond beats W&M, but W&M beats James Madison.

There's still plenty of time for all hell to break lose, and that doesn't even consider if Maine knocks some teams off.

rcny46
November 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
UNH and UMass could both make the field, but it would require the CAA getting five bids. UMass could get in at 8-4, with a loss to UNH, if Richmond beats W&M and the CAA gets 5 bids again. UMass would get in at 9-3, IMO, with a tiebreaker over UNH. What happens if UNH beats 'Nova but loses to UMass (assume, for hypothetical purposes, both beat Maine)? That leaves 9-2 UNH and 9-3 UMass from the North, and both of those teams are getting in. Then you have either 8-3 W&M or 9-3 Richmond along with 8-3 Villanova and 10-1 JMU. What if Richmond beats W&M, but W&M beats James Madison.

There's still plenty of time for all hell to break lose, and that doesn't even consider if Maine knocks some teams off.

That's what I like:the voice of reason and logic. xnodx

19Duke97
November 3rd, 2008, 12:19 PM

I think UNH and Maine would be decent wins. In defense of UMASS, their losses would be to Texas Tech (throw that out as every FCS team would lose to them), JMU and UR. Those are not chop liver losses. Also, it would mean UMASS ended the season on a 5 game winning streak, whereas Elon would have lost 2 out of their last 4. In no way is there a clear picture here.

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Here's a great idea.

Why not just fill the Playoffs with CAA teams. Heck, all 12, why not.

Then let everyone else fight over the last 4 spots.

19Duke97
November 3rd, 2008, 12:39 PM

Show us an example of an at large team with 6 D-1 wins or less getting into the playoffs, and we will all stop talking about it. It may not be a hard rule for all conferences (true), but it might as well be one.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 3rd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Show us an example of a team with 6 D-1 wins or less getting into the playoffs, and we will all stop talking about it. It may not be a hard rule for all conferences (true), but it might as well be one.

Exactly, if you look at the selections made the past few seasons, it has been made very clear that the guideline of seven D-I wins might as well be a requirement. Probably the only reason it isn't is to cover their butts in case they don't have enough teams to choose from with those seven wins. And for the record, CAA teams have been burned by this as well.

Ditto on the D-II argument, the committee made it clear years ago they were going to value any D-I win over a D-II, D-III or NAIA win. Until you get the NCAA to modify that criteria, any non D-I school scheduled is done at your own risk. You can cry a river about how much better a D-II team is and how we should be giving them the opportunity to play up, but the NCAA doesn't agree or doesn't care. Bottom line is that they set the criteria.

There is nothing new nor clandestine about this playoff criteria.

Edit: the seven D-I wins applies to at large bids, I believe we've had six win AQ teams make the playoffs.

ElonPride
November 3rd, 2008, 12:58 PM
Show us an example of an at large team with 6 D-1 wins or less getting into the playoffs, and we will all stop talking about it. It may not be a hard rule for all conferences (true), but it might as well be one.

Didn't Montana St make it in about 4 or 5 years ago with a 7-5 record and only 6 D-I wins?

ASU
November 3rd, 2008, 01:32 PM
I think UNH and Maine would be decent wins. In defense of UMASS, their losses would be to Texas Tech (throw that out as every FCS team would lose to them), JMU and UR. Those are not chop liver losses. Also, it would mean UMASS ended the season on a 5 game winning streak, whereas Elon would have lost 2 out of their last 4. In no way is there a clear picture here.

U do have to admit....UMass has a pretty good win/loss schedule this year.
I do believe that the Number of teams coming from one particular conference should also be taken into consideration. 5 teams from one conference is just TOO many ..... even when U have a conference with 17 million teams in it. Conference play should clear that out during the season.....I believe that there should be a rule that you Have to play the other members of your conference each year in order to have a conference. Then put a maximum of 3 teams from one conference Maximum.

youwouldno
November 3rd, 2008, 01:43 PM
Assuming we win our games against Western Carolina (HC) and @ Liberty, a loss in Boone would hurt our chances and possibly put us on the bubble but I don't think it will be enough to keep us out.

Furman right now is the feather in our cap. Add in the other 2 road wins over then top 25 opponents GSU and The Citadel along with a good record in one of the strongest conferences in America and that should be enough.

I know some of you may sneeze at wins over GSU and The Citadel but thats why I emphasize then top 25. We can't help how they play in the rest of their games but when we played them, they were top 25 teams.

Hopefully it all won't come down to this and we can sneak away with a win in Boone.

Elon fans keep saying the Furman win is a big deal but it really isn't... Furman can still easily get an at large while Elon is left at home. It happens all the time in playoff selections.

19Duke97
November 3rd, 2008, 01:50 PM
U do have to admit....UMass has a pretty good win/loss schedule this year.
I do believe that the Number of teams coming from one particular conference should also be taken into consideration. 5 teams from one conference is just TOO many ..... even when U have a conference with 17 million teams in it. Conference play should clear that out during the season.....I believe that there should be a rule that you Have to play the other members of your conference each year in order to have a conference. Then put a maximum of 3 teams from one conference Maximum.

Yeah I don't think the CAA will get more than 4. Not advocating more than 4 either, but you could make the argument (and it will be done) that some CAA team is getting screwed - even with 4 teams in.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Didn't Montana St make it in about 4 or 5 years ago with a 7-5 record and only 6 D-I wins?

I believe they were the BSC AQ that year. The seven D-I wins guideline doesn't apply in that case. And actually it was Lafayette a couple of years ago that I was thinking about only having six wins. Regardless, both were AQs.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 3rd, 2008, 02:13 PM

You are welcome to that opinion and I'm not saying it's a bad opinion. But it isn't part of the guidelines/requirements that the committee uses to select the at large bids. The most overriding criteria as I understand it is to select the eight best teams.

You know if Elon had beat Richmond, GA Southern had beaten Northeastern more decisively and Furman had beaten Delaware more decisively, it would have been the SoCon in the four at large bid discussion right now. Would you still be a strong advocate for the three team max criteria? Just curious. Be careful what you ask for. ;) xwhistlex

ElonPride
November 3rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
I believe they were the BSC AQ that year. The seven D-I wins guideline doesn't apply in that case. And actually it was Lafayette a couple of years ago that I was thinking about only having six wins. Regardless, both were AQs.

You are correct.....sorry for the mistake.....

But they both did have less than 7 D-I wins xsmiley_wix

Yosef84
November 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM

Sorry, GoPhoenix, but I have to agree with 19Duke97. I've had this debate with my App friends. Some refuse to acknowledge it, but although this is not a codified "rule", it is clearly a guideline used by the committee. If the committee is using it, then it might as well be considered a rule. If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck....might as well call it a duck.

That being said, Elon deserves to get into the playoffs with a 9-3 record. I would hope that the SoCon will get 3 into the playoffs. I don't think the CAA would have had 5 teams last year if other valid options had met the 7 game "rule."

gophoenix
November 3rd, 2008, 02:50 PM
All I am saying is it isn't a rule.

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 02:52 PM
Sorry, GoPhoenix, but I have to agree with 19Duke97. I've had this debate with my App friends. Some refuse to acknowledge it, but although this is not a codified "rule", it is clearly a guideline used by the committee. If the committee is using it, then it might as well be considered a rule. If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck....might as well call it a duck.

That being said, Elon deserves to get into the playoffs with a 9-3 record. I would hope that the SoCon will get 3 into the playoffs. I don't think the CAA would have had 5 teams last year if other valid options had met the 7 game "rule."

I agree. The issue was last year was not with there being 5 playoff worthy teams from the CAA, but there weren't enough from other conferences. This year, I think the opposite will be true, especially if you look at teams with a 12 game schedule. There will be a LOT of quality teams. SoCon will probably get 3 and CAA 4. Then the issue will be that the two conferences took up almost half the field.

PaladinFan
November 3rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Another curve to throw in there, but with the new polls out Furman has a dominate win over a top 25 team on the road with their victory over Colgate.

The way I see it, App is in barring a monumental collapse. Elon will be in if they win two of their last three. Provided that both teams take care of their business up until their meeting in the last week, the winner of Furman/Wofford should lock up a third and likely final SoCon bid.

JDC325
November 3rd, 2008, 03:16 PM

It is a requirement for Socon teams for sure.

mcveyrl
November 3rd, 2008, 03:19 PM
It is a requirement for Socon teams for sure.

If you're going to look at it that way, it's a requirement for everybody. As has been pointed out, no at-large bid has been given to ANY team with less than seven D-I wins.

OL FU
November 3rd, 2008, 03:22 PM

LAst year was diffferent. only two teams had 7 DI wins