PDA

View Full Version : Where to rank Wofford...

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 08:01 PM
Beat Transitional Presby (who has 2 FCS wins)
Beat Chuck South (All FCS wins in Big South plus Savanah State)
Lost to South Carolina
Beat Georgia Southern (best win is Northeastern)
Beat Chattanooga (winless in FCS)
Beat Western Carolina (beat Chattanooga)
Beat Elon (has ONE quality win, Furman)
Lost by 46 to one of best teams in country.

I can't see rating them in top 15, but open to arguments.

griz&beer
November 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
well I would put the any where from 7to 8

Eight Legger
November 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
Ahead of Northern Arizona. :D

Actually, I think I will put Wofford somewhere in the 12-15 range. Clearly they had a bad game, but not too many FCS teams were going to compete well with App Friday night down there (no, not even JMU). I still think Wofford is one of the best 10 or 15 teams in the nation.

beauvighn
November 2nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
I think we should stay in the top 10.

GSUhooligan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:14 PM
CAA beats eachother up, they're amazing. SoCon beats eachother up, "only the top team deserves to be in the top 15." What BS xrolleyesx

andy7171
November 2nd, 2008, 08:15 PM
Im not asking myself where to rank Wofford. Im contemplating whether or not to put Apy #1 or respect the JMU defeat. Seriously, that Madison ASU game was a life time ago.

After that game Friday night, Im leaning towards giving the Mountainers my #1 vote. And it has nothing to do with my intense hatred of the Dukes. :D :p :o xwhistlex

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 08:28 PM

they are, in my poll. :p

AppStateSVX
November 2nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
When App fires on all cylinders, we are clearly the best team in the FCS (example - first half of JMU, Wofford game friday night)

I think you have to respect the JMU win though, and place App 2nd.

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 08:31 PM
Put another way - should they be ahead of:

JMU - no
ASU - no
UNI - no
Montana - no
Weber State - no
Cal Poly - no
SIU - no
Richmond - no
UNH - maybe
W & M - maybe
Villanova - maybe
Furman - toss up
Elon - yes
UMass - maybe

Actually, that was a helpful exercise... :)

millwoga1
November 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Lost to South Carolina

the teams you have beaten have a combined 14-38 record 14 wins and 38 losses that's bad let's do Woffords 24- 31 that's bad too but not nearly as unimpressive as yours

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 08:37 PM
the teams you have beaten have a combined 14-38 record 14 wins and 38 losses that's bad let's do Woffords 24- 31 that's bad too but not nearly as unimpressive as yours

Where do I put NAU in my original post? This has nothing to do with NAU. I am trying to figure out were to put Wofford.

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2008, 08:38 PM
He's not arguing that NAU is better than Wofford

soccerguy315
November 2nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
if I was voting, I would put then in the 8-12 range. Clearly they did not play up to their potential, but nonetheless, they got demolished.

CAA beats eachother up, they're amazing. SoCon beats eachother up, "only the top team deserves to be in the top 15." What BS xrolleyesx

best CAA team beats 2nd best CAA team on the last play of the game

best SoCon team beats 2nd best SoCon team by ~50

... not really equal results

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2008, 08:50 PM
I have them #11.

grizband
November 2nd, 2008, 08:52 PM

JMU - no
ASU - no
UNI - no
Montana - no
Weber State - no
Cal Poly - no
SIU - no
Richmond - no
UNH - maybe
W & M - maybe
Villanova - maybe
Furman - toss up
Elon - yes
UMass - maybe

This method can be very helpful when creating a poll! xnodx

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 09:13 PM

The problem with your argument on behalf of Wofford is not Northern Arizona, but all the other FCS teams with better records and strength of schedule.

As of Sagarin's 11/2 ratings, Wofford's strength of schedule ranks 31st among all FCS teams, just behind Northern Arizona at 30th and Montana at 29th. Thirty teams, not two, have better strength of schedule ratings.

More importantly, many of the teams with stronger schedules also have equal or better records against those stronger teams, as compared to Wofford. Consensus #1 JMU's SoS rating is #6. App State is #16, Villanova #5, and Weber #6.

Moreover, some of the teams with three losses have stronger schedules, including Massachussetts at #14, Richmond #15, Furman #18, and McNeese State #24.

There is not justification at this point to keep Wofford at #3 or even in the top ten. Maybe there will be in three weeks.

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2008, 09:23 PM

I still have Elon in the 5-15 range. xthumbsupx

McNeese75
November 2nd, 2008, 09:28 PM

Actually, I think I will put Wofford somewhere in the 12-15 range. Clearly they had a bad game, but not too many FCS teams were going to compete well with App Friday night down there (no, not even JMU). I still think Wofford is one of the best 10 or 15 teams in the nation.

xthumbsupx

gbhmt
November 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM

Yeah I don't think anyone, even before NAU's two conference losses, had them ahead of Wofford.

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Yeah I don't think anyone, even before NAU's two conference losses, had them ahead of Wofford.

Reading comprehension, folks. it is not that hard.

(Well, maybe for Citadel grads)

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2008, 09:42 PM
Lost to South Carolina

It's not just the quality of the teams that they have beaten, but how they have won the games. In terms of conference rankings and determing the conference championship, a 1 point win is no difference than a 50 point win. When determining national rankings, that is not so.

It's not like Wofford is barely squeaking by all of these teams. They have one of the best offenses in the country. They should still be a top-10.

By the way, I think App., Elon, and Wofford fans will agree that GSU is an even match for anyone when playing in Statesboro, and Wofford won there.

Hoyadestroya85
November 2nd, 2008, 09:46 PM

JMU - no
ASU - no
UNI - no
Montana - no
Weber State - no
Cal Poly - no
SIU - no
Richmond - no
UNH - maybe
W & M - maybe
Villanova - maybe
Furman - toss up
Elon - yes
UMass - maybe

Not a chance in hell they should be in front of Villanova... for shame

th0m
November 3rd, 2008, 02:31 AM

JMU - no
ASU - no
UNI - no
Montana - no
Weber State - no
Cal Poly - no
SIU - no
Richmond - no
UNH - maybe
W & M - maybe
Villanova - no
Furman - yes
Elon - yes
UMass - maybe

fixed it for you ;)

Tribe4SF
November 3rd, 2008, 03:59 AM
I had Wofford at #8 last week, and have dropped them to #12 this week.

The Terriers are a good team, but an incomplete team. ASU exposed their vulnerability to the vertical pass, and they lack a passing game of their own to contend with the top teams. Actually, I think Wofford would probably match up better with JMU than they would with most of the other top teams. Their defensive front is strong.

Reign of Terrier
November 3rd, 2008, 06:35 AM
I had Wofford at #8 last week, and have dropped them to #12 this week.

The Terriers are a good team, but an incomplete team. ASU exposed their vulnerability to the vertical pass, and they lack a passing game of their own to contend with the top teams. Actually, I think Wofford would probably match up better with JMU than they would with most of the other top teams. Their defensive front is strong.

I think if we played at Gibbs it would have been a better game. App is not 46 points better than us. I think we should be ranked 12th minimum.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2008, 07:28 AM
The problem with your argument on behalf of Wofford is not Northern Arizona, but all the other FCS teams with better records and strength of schedule.

No....the REAL problem with his argument is that apparently all the punctuation keys on his keyboard are broken. xoopsx

appfan2008
November 3rd, 2008, 07:43 AM
I moved wofford from 3 to 11

BestOfBreed
November 3rd, 2008, 07:53 AM

Same here.

uofmman1122
November 3rd, 2008, 08:32 AM
3 to 10, here.

I was really drinking the Wofford Kool Aid, too. xsmhx

Syntax Error
November 3rd, 2008, 08:34 AM
well I would put the anywhere from 7 to 8xnodx

Ivytalk
November 3rd, 2008, 08:36 AM

Same here.

I also believe in the mystical significance of the #11!:D

Rekdiver
November 3rd, 2008, 09:03 AM
I think if we played at Gibbs it would have been a better game. App is not 46 points better than us. I think we should be ranked 12th minimum.

Errrrr,

I do believe that ASU is 46 points better than Wofford. I would move them from 3 to 9 BUT if they lose another game they are out of the top 16. I'll be interested to see how they respond.

siuham
November 3rd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Went from 5 to 12. My first push put them at 9, but then I liked the quality of a couple other team's wins over their poor showing, then I felt I had Weber St. too low so they got bumped another spot.

WUTNDITWAA
November 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
Wofford won't be in my bottom 10.

Hope that helps. :D

KAUMASS
November 3rd, 2008, 09:36 AM
Wofford should drop 8-10 spots with the loss. The point loss amount will hurt them more in the human polls. Wofford should be ranked around 12th in the human polls, maybe a bit lower(8-10) in the some of the computer models. Sagarian stayed the same at #7.

Dropping 8-10 spots will not hurt Wofford all that bad. Wofford has Citadel, Samford & Furman to finish off the year. Win those 3, and they should be ranked in the top 10 at year's end and have at least an at-large. Lose 1, there on the cut line, but I think they get in. Lose 2, could be in jeopardy. Lot's of football left.

AppStsGr8
November 3rd, 2008, 09:45 AM
I'd say Wofford goes to 10th or 12th. Wofford's still a very good team in my opinion. It would have been tough for any FCS team to beat App Friday night at home playing well on both sides of the ball and special teams for all four quarters.

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 10:21 AM
Not a chance in hell they should be in front of Villanova... for shame

dude - chill.

For the record, I ended up ranking Villanova ahead of Wofford. Happy? :D

dbackjon
November 3rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
I ended up ranking them 13.

terrierbob
November 3rd, 2008, 12:48 PM
I had 'Nova 9th, Wofford 10th.

phillyAPP
November 3rd, 2008, 04:44 PM
I had 'Nova 9th, Wofford 10th.

Wofford is a TEAM no one wants to play in the playoffs. They are good, coached excellent, and can win any game any saturday.

I also think they have some of the nicest SoCon fans. Even in our loss last year they behaved like good people. They won and they bragged with respect.

Good luck to Wofford the rest of the way.

I rank them 10.

And go NOVA FOOTBALL !!! i remember playing b-ball in the fieldhouse watching Howie Porter, and jumping in the streets when G-Town went down.

As far as Nova football Howie Long was it for me. I wish i could have been there for Westbrook. Hope to see you and APP in NOOGA. Delaware was a lot of fun last year.