24) Northeastern
25) Central Arkansas

Top 10 just missed the cut:
South Dakota State, Brown, UC Davis, Lafayette, Montana State
Liberty, North Dakota State, Colgate, Northwestern State, Citadel

Source:http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

furman94
November 2nd, 2008, 12:40 PM
Those look pretty good minus a few; W&M seems too high, UDel doesnt deserve to be in the rankings at all, GSU is a bit too high and a few others

introvertedGSUfan
November 2nd, 2008, 12:44 PM
Those look pretty good minus a few; W&M seems too high, UDel doesnt deserve to be in the rankings at all, GSU is a bit too high and a few others

Oh c'mon, we haven't done well lately but we lost by a combined 4 points to three SoCon teams that were once all in the top 5.

furman94
November 2nd, 2008, 12:45 PM
I understand, but a loss is a loss! Im not one for moral victories :D

gsu1moretime
November 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
slowly and very nerve racking with the games moving our way up the polls. Will it hurt or help GSU with only 11 games this year. compared to the few with 12 games? also remember playing fbs uga...?

introvertedGSUfan
November 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
I understand, but a loss is a loss! Im not one for moral victories :D

Those losses still must have a played a role in the ratings calculations because I don't think I see any other 5-4 team higher than us.

ASU88
November 2nd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Oh c'mon, we haven't done well lately but we lost by a combined 4 points to three SoCon teams that were once all in the top 5.

GSU is a tough win and is on their way back, but if you're going to talk almosts ... you almost got blown out by Western Carolina.

Works both ways.

introvertedGSUfan
November 2nd, 2008, 01:01 PM
GSU is a tough win and is on their way back, but if you're going to talk almosts ... you almost got blown out by Western Carolina.

Works both ways.

You don't think I'm aware of that? I was merely explaining why we're ranked higher than some people think. Everyone of our games, minus Chattanooga, has been close.

ekufbfan
November 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
1) James Madison 40th overall
2) Appalachian State 58th overall
3) Richmond 62nd overall
4) Montana 67th
5) Villanova 68th
6) Weber State 80th
7) Wofford 90th
8) Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo 92nd
9) William & Mary 98th
10) Massachusetts 100th
11) New Hampshire
12) Elon
13) Furman
14) Northern Iowa
15) Maine
16) Samford
17) Georgia Southern
18) Northern Arizona
19) Western Illinois
20) Southern Illinois
21) Harvard
22) McNeese State
23) Delaware
24) Northeastern
25) Central Arkansas

AMAZING! Samford, hardly a mention while in the OVC, moves to the So Co and first year, suddenly they are the radar...seems to me a little conference bias going on here.....

mainejeff
November 2nd, 2008, 01:26 PM
Delaware will have played #1, #3, #5, #9, #10, and #15......xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

SeattleGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
AMAZING! Samford, hardly a mention while in the OVC, moves to the So Co and first year, suddenly they are the radar...seems to me a little conference bias going on here.....

That's typical. The SoCon overall is a tougher conference, so now that Samford is playing in it, their overall ranking rises as well.

TheValleyRaider
November 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Delaware will have played #1, #3, #5, #9, #10, and #15......xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

...and #13 Furman xeekx

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
You all realize this is a computer rating right? Don't take it personally if the computer doesn't treat your team the way you want it to. The computer doesn't have feelings.

introvertedGSUfan
November 2nd, 2008, 01:30 PM
You all realize this is a computer rating right? Don't take it personally if the computer doesn't treat your team the way you want it to. The computer doesn't have feelings.

How do you know?! My computer would take a bullet for me any day.

SU 82
November 2nd, 2008, 01:37 PM
That's typical. The SoCon overall is a tougher conference, so now that Samford is playing in it, their overall ranking rises as well.

Samford is also a much improved team from one year ago. I don't know if there is conference bias or not, but if that exists, I don't think it's the only reason for the improved ranking.

Teams do get better, you know...

WMTribe90
November 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

WM is now 6-2 versus an all DI schedule. We lost by 10 to #5 Villanova with our back-up QB and we lost by 10 to a good NCST team. We have a win over UNH. The #9 spot might to a touch high, but I have us top 12 right now.

ekufbfan
November 2nd, 2008, 02:28 PM
Samford is also a much improved team from one year ago. I don't know if there is conference bias or not, but if that exists, I don't think it's the only reason for the improved ranking.

I am not saying that Samford is not "better", I am saying that were you still in the OVC, as you were last year and let's say Samford had beat every other team in the OVC up to this point, SU still would not be on the radar. Most people on this board want to use the last 20 years to predict who should/should not get an invite to post season, so if we look at SU's time in the OVC, you record is not so hot. How many conference championships did you win in football and how many times did you get a playoff game while in the OVC? My point is this, if you are going to use past perfromance as an indicator, Samford is overrated. If you are using the fact that they are in the SO CO now then there is a conference bias going on here. Nevetheless, you were smarter than the rest of us by saying adios to the OVC, for the above mentioned reason and others I won't mention.

GO EKU...31 consecutive winning seasons!!!!!xbowx

appfan2008
November 2nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
this looks like a whos who in the socon and the caa ...

Maroons
November 2nd, 2008, 03:21 PM
this looks like a whos who in the socon and the caa ...

It's no secret in the age of the RPI and computer models that the company you keep is every bit as important as your team's individual performance.

SeattleGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 03:22 PM

Wasn't implying Samford didn't have the capacity to improve, just addressing the conference "bias" factor. Its the same if you play an FBS school closely, and they kick butt all year, it pulls you up in the ratings.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM

...and all of it is taken into account by Sagarin's unbiased, unemotional computer. xcoffeex

EKU Pride
November 2nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
1) James Madison 40th overall
2) Appalachian State 58th overall
3) Richmond 62nd overall
4) Montana 67th
5) Villanova 68th
6) Weber State 80th
7) Wofford 90th
8) Cal-Poly San Luis Obispo 92nd
9) William & Mary 98th
10) Massachusetts 100th
11) New Hampshire
12) Elon
13) Furman
14) Northern Iowa
15) Maine
16) Samford
17) Georgia Southern
18) Northern Arizona
19) Western Illinois
20) Southern Illinois
21) Harvard
22) McNeese State
23) Delaware
24) Northeastern
25) Central Arkansas

I find it odd that a West Kentucky fan has an interest in posting on a FCS site?!

wkuhillhound
November 2nd, 2008, 05:43 PM
I find it odd that a West Kentucky fan has an interest in posting on a FCS site?!

I have been a member since 2003 when WKU was a FCS team. I have every right to post. :D

Retro
November 2nd, 2008, 06:47 PM
I have been a member since 2003 when WKU was a FCS team. I have every right to post. :D

No one said you didn't have a right to post.

He just say's he find's it odd that you do.. I do also, considering your team is now a FBS Bottom Feeder and gave lowly North Texas their first win in a year. xlolx

Plus in your signature you post stuff about your team from a conference not affliliated with the FCS and no relevance to this board! xrolleyesx

wkuhillhound
November 2nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
No one said you didn't have a right to post.

He just say's he find's it odd that you do.. I do also, considering your team is now a FBS Bottom Feeder and gave lowly North Texas their first win in a year. xlolx

I knew you would go there. We had a chance to win that game we was on the 3 yd line until that pick. What's even worse is both of their wins was against WKU. xnonono2x

We still got a national championship to hang our hats on. You would know something about that would ya. Revenge is such a b!tch. :D

Plus I have made numerous amount of friends on this board. I wouldn't dare to leave just because WKU has moved to FBS. I also have a Weight Watchers thread on the Lounge so I must stay. A very inspirational thread. :)

ekufbfan
November 2nd, 2008, 06:55 PM
I knew you would go there. We had a chance to win that game we was on the 3 yd line until that pick. What's even worse is both of their wins was against WKU. xnonono2x

We still got a national championship to hang our hats on. You would know something about that would ya. Revenge is such a b!tch. :D

Plus I have made numerous amount of friends on this board. I wouldn'y dare to leave just because WKU has moved to FBS. I also have a Weight Watchers thread on the Lounge so I must stay. A very inspirational thread. :)

Do they teach English at WKU? ;)

wkuhillhound
November 2nd, 2008, 06:59 PM
Do they teach English at WKU? ;)

Graduated in 2001 and I wasn't very good anyway. I passed the class and that is all that matters. xlolx

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2008, 07:02 PM
WKU at 141 xlolx

wkuhillhound
November 2nd, 2008, 07:07 PM
WKU at 141 xlolx

Very ashamed. WKU will bounce back. Believe me I laughing with you. xnodx

Boots Harvey
November 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
After last year's bs with the CAA getting all of those teams in the playoffs, anyone from that conference should be very quiet about any other conference especially the SoCon being over-rated.

I'd put ASU, Wofford, Elon, GSU, Furman up against the top five from CAA. And, wouldn't be surprised if Samford shocked a few of you either.

Also, GSU's Foster won the Peyton Award last year. ASU's Armanti Edwards should win it this year and next. ASU won the NC for the last 3 years and could possibly do it again this year. Wofford was screwed last year with a first round road trip and drilled Montana (Sorry Grizz...I like your school). The CAA got an extra team in at the expense of Elon and/or GSU.

SoCon is not over-rated. Get a lot of press. Yes. They should. The SoCon is the SEC of FCS.

Jiggs
November 2nd, 2008, 07:20 PM

No bias....Samford, top to bottom, is just a much better team than last year. Like, night and day.

R.A.
November 2nd, 2008, 07:22 PM
No bias....Samford, top to bottom, is just a much better team than last year. Like, night and day.

Dats da truth xthumbsupx

CrunchGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 07:39 PM
After last year's bs with the CAA getting all of those teams in the playoffs, anyone from that conference should be very quiet about any other conference especially the SoCon being over-rated.

I'd put ASU, Wofford, Elon, GSU, Furman up against the top five from CAA. And, wouldn't be surprised if Samford shocked a few of you either.

Also, GSU's Foster won the Peyton Award last year. ASU's Armanti Edwards should win it this year and next. ASU won the NC for the last 3 years and could possibly do it again this year. Wofford was screwed last year with a first round road trip and drilled Montana (Sorry Grizz...I like your school). The CAA got an extra team in at the expense of Elon and/or GSU.

SoCon is not over-rated. Get a lot of press. Yes. They should. The SoCon is the SEC of FCS.

...so now we have a new definition for "drilled": A one-point win.

Chi Panther
November 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
...so now we have a new definition for "drilled": A one-point win.

LOL....I agree with ya Cruch...

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 07:59 PM
Sagarin Strength of Division 1 Schedule Ratings:

(Date order: Strength of Schedule Rank, Conference, Team)

1 SOCON Chattanooga (played Oklahoma, remember? plus SoCon)
2 CAA Delaware (Maryland)
3 CAA Northeastern (Ball State, Syracuse)
4 SOCON Samford (Mississippi)
5 CAA Villanova (West Virginia)
6 CAA JMU (Duke)
7 BIG SKY Weber State (Hawaii, Utah)
8 GREAT WEST Southern Utah (Air Force, Wisconsin)
9 BIG SKY Eastern Washington (Texas Tech, Colorado)
10 SOCON Citadel (Clemson)
11 BIG SKY Sacramento State (Colorado State)
12 BIG SKY Northern Colorado (Purdue)
13 GREAT WEST South Dakota (?)
14 CAA Massachussetts (Texas Tech)
15 CAA Richmond (Virginia)
16 SOCON App St (LSU)
17 CAA Hofstra (Connecticut)
18 SOCON Furman (Virginia Tech)
19 Southland Stephen F. Austin (TCU)
20 CAA Rhode Island (Boston College)
21 BIG SKY Idaho State (Boise State)
22 Southland Sam Houston (Kansas)
23 Southland Nicholls State (Memphis)
24 Southland McNeese State (North Carolina)
25 SOCON Western Carolina (Florida State)
26 MISSOURI VALLEY Youngstown State (Ohio State)
27 SOCON Georgia Southern (Georgia)
28 BIG SKY Montana State (Kansas State, Minnesota)
29 BIG SKY Montana - all D1 FCS opponents
30 BIG SKY Northern Arizona (Arizona State)

The only conferences with teams among the top ten toughest schedules are SOCON, CAA and Big Sky.

The teams with the toughest schedules are not necessarily among the top ten (Sagarin) rated teams. The only exceptions are James Madison and Weber State.

Among the teams with top 30 toughest schedules, 8 apiece belong to Big Sky (89% of the conference!) and CAA (67%) followed by SoCon with 7 (78%), Southland with 4 (50%), and Great West with 2 (40%). This suggests that these conferences are tough and/or they tend to schedule tough out-of-conference games.

Missouri Valley has only one team with a top 30 schedule (11%), and it's not a playoff team. Ohio Valley, Patriot and MEAC, the other three auto-bid conferences, have NONE. This suggests that both in-conference and out-of-conference schedules are weak.

ref: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 08:35 PM
Sagarin Strength of Division 1 Schedule Ratings:

(Date order: Strength of Schedule Rank, Conference, Team)

1 SOCON Chattanooga (played Oklahoma, remember? plus SoCon)
2 CAA Delaware (Maryland)
3 CAA Northeastern (Ball State, Syracuse)
4 SOCON Samford (Mississippi)
5 CAA Villanova (West Virginia)
6 CAA JMU (Duke)
7 BIG SKY Weber State (Hawaii, Utah)
8 GREAT WEST Southern Utah (Air Force)
9 BIG SKY Eastern Washington (Texas Tech, Colorado)
10 SOCON Citadel (Clemson)
11 BIG SKY Sacramento State (Colorado State)
12 BIG SKY Northern Colorado (Purdue)
13 GREAT WEST South Dakota (?)
14 CAA Massachussetts (Texas Tech)
15 CAA Richmond (Virginia)
16 SOCON App St (LSU)
17 CAA Hofstra (Connecticut)
18 SOCON Furman (Virginia Tech)
19 Southland Stephen F. Austin (TCU)
20 CAA Rhode Island (Boston College)
21 BIG SKY Idaho State (Boise State)
22 Southland Sam Houston (Kansas)
23 Southland Nicholls State (Memphis)
24 Southland McNeese State (North Carolina)
25 SOCON Western Carolina (Florida State)
26 MISSOURI VALLEY Youngstown State (Ohio State)
27 SOCON Georgia Southern (Georgia)
28 BIG SKY Montana State (Kansas State, Minnesota)
29 BIG SKY Montana - all D1 FCS opponents
30 BIG SKY Northern Arizona (Arizona State)

The only conferences with teams among the top ten toughest schedules are SOCON, CAA and Big Sky.

The teams with the toughest schedules are not necessarily among the top ten (Sagarin) rated teams. The only exceptions are James Madison and Weber State.

Among the teams with top 30 toughest schedules, 8 apiece belong to Big Sky (89% of the conference!) and CAA (67%) followed by SoCon with 7 (78%), Southland with 4 (50%), and Great West with 2 (40%). This suggests that these conferences are tough and/or they tend to schedule tough out-of-conference games.

Missouri Valley has only one team with a top 30 schedule (11%), and it's not a playoff team. Ohio Valley, Patriot and MEAC, the other three auto-bid conferences, have NONE. This suggests that both in-conference and out-of-conference schedules are weak.

Editing note: #13 "South Dakota" may refer to South Dakota State, which played Iowa State early in the season. If this is the case, Great West loses one and it is picked up by the Missouri Valley.

ref: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

soccerguy315
November 2nd, 2008, 08:44 PM

I'm sure everyone is eagerly awaiting your argument for which CAA team didn't belong in the playoffs based on the results from the first round.

not to let facts ruin your argument, but

Richmond beat Elon (7-1) by 18
JMU beat ASU (7-2) by 3

GSU beat Northeastern (2-7) in OT
Furman beat Delaware (3-6) by 2

glad to see your "good" teams can squeak by the bottom of the CAA

crunifan
November 2nd, 2008, 09:04 PM
And this can be considered reliable how? Just because you play a tough FBS opponent like Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas Tech, etc. doesn't mean you had a tough schedule and then that goes and artificially inflates everyone else in the conference.

UNI Pike
November 2nd, 2008, 09:22 PM
We have to schedule tough to counteract Indiana State. I wonder how many places we would go up if ISU was out of the MVFC?

PantherRob82
November 2nd, 2008, 09:30 PM
Very ashamed. WKU will bounce back. Believe me I laughing with you. xnodx

Hulk believe WKU get better soon. Hulk think FBS move a good one. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Just playing. Sure it was a typo.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
And this can be considered reliable how? Just because you play a tough FBS opponent like Oklahoma, Ohio State, Texas Tech, etc. doesn't mean you had a tough schedule and then that goes and artificially inflates everyone else in the conference.

Correct. Strength of schedule is only a piece of the puzzle, not the entire puzzle. FBS opponents are only a small part of the Sagarin ratings with regard to FCS teams. But when you combine it with other indicators the entire systems approach certainly makes sense.

If you play a softer schedule all year it will be harder to elevate your game at playoff time. But when you are down in the playoffs against a strong opponent and know you have scored and defended successfully against even stronger opponents, it changes the nature of your performance.

For example, being up on Hawaii 17-10 at the half and putting up 240 yards in the first three quarters against the first team Utah defense probably helped Weber performance and confidence a great deal, and I am sure counts more towards Weber's strength of schedule than Chattanooga's blowout by Oklahoma. ...Just as Northern Iowa's showing against BYU and close contest at Southern Illinois will stand UNI in good stead and counted for more than Yongstown's getting blown out by Ohio State.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 2nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
I'm sure everyone is eagerly awaiting your argument for which CAA team didn't belong in the playoffs based on the results from the first round.

not to let facts ruin your argument, but

Richmond beat Elon (7-1) by 18
JMU beat ASU (7-2) by 3

GSU beat Northeastern (2-7) in OT
Furman beat Delaware (3-6) by 2

glad to see your "good" teams can squeak by the bottom of the CAA

First of all GSU has not played a non close game all season, they play close games, it has been like that since the game after Georgia. Second of all a win is a win and a loss is a loss, did you think Delaware was gonna be as bad as they were...NO... because when Delaware played Furman they were RANKED NUMBER 6 in the nation with only a 7 pt loss to Maryland and many people from CAA picked Delaware to beat down Furman. xrulesx So make sure you get your facts straight before you criticize someone else.

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2008, 09:35 PM
Uhhh, South Dakota does not have the 13th most difficult schedule, maybe the 13th least difficult if anything. Also SUU does not play Wisconsin. I'm sure there are more errors, based on those 2 very obvious ones.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 09:37 PM
Uhhh, South Dakota does not have the 13th most difficult schedule, maybe the 13th least difficult if anything. Also SUU does not play Wisconsin. I'm sure there are more errors, based on those 2 very obvious ones.

Thanks, P.P.! xthumbsupx

I fixed the error with SUU's schedule. I looked at South Dakota's schedule to see why it was ranked so high. I don't understand it either, but it really is 13th on Sagarin's list of 11/02. I am not doing any number crunching, only reporting Sagarin's work. I like Sagarin's work, but maybe there is a mistake in this case?

Let me know if you find any more errors?

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks, P.P.! xthumbsupx

I fixed the error with SUU's schedule. I looked at South Dakota's schedule to see why it was ranked so high. I don't understand it either, but it really is 13th on Sagarin's list of 11/02. I am not doing any number crunching, only reporting Sagarin's work. I like Sagarin's work, but maybe there is a mistake in this case?

Let me know if you find any more errors?

I'm sure it has to do with how Sagarin counts sub DI teams, since USD is playing so many in their first transition year. UNI and CP are helping boost their SOS also.

JackTwice
November 2nd, 2008, 10:02 PM
It could be likely that Sagarin meant South Dakota State and just shortened it. Not the first time that has happened on a national stage as many people are surprised there is plumbing in South Dakota let alone 2 colleges.

Poly Pigskin
November 2nd, 2008, 10:05 PM
It could be likely that Sagarin meant South Dakota State and just shortened it. Not the first time that has happened on a national stage as many people are surprised there is plumbing in South Dakota let alone 2 colleges.

You guys have plumbing? xeekx xlolx

If you look at the "SCHEDL(RANK)" column, USD is indeed ranked that high, 35 spots ahead of SDSU. Obviously, he has a problem in his formula.

dbackjon
November 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
You guys have plumbing? xeekx xlolx

If you look at the "SCHEDL(RANK)" column, USD is indeed ranked that high, 35 spots ahead of SDSU. Obviously, he has a problem in his formula.

In his SOS formula, he doesn't count non D-1 teams. So with USD's limited D-1 schedule, it looks very good. Simple as that.

tingly
November 2nd, 2008, 10:27 PM
He used to count UC Davis games as D-I when they were D-II (on purpose). He's a brilliant guy, but he makes you wonder sometimes.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 11:01 PM
I'm sure it has to do with how Sagarin counts sub DI teams, since USD is playing so many in their first transition year. UNI and CP are helping boost their SOS also.

According to the web site, Sagarin does not count sub-D1 teams at all, only the 245 Division I (combined FBS and FCS) teams listed on the web site:

"...In COLLEGE FOOTBALL the W-L records include ALL games, but ONLY
games between the 245 TEAMS RATED here are used for RATING and SCHEDULE STRENGTH computations."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt08.htm

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 11:04 PM

Plumbing in South Dakota? That's an improvement from when I worked on a custom harvest crew in the summers as a lad. xsmiley_wix

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 11:07 PM

Aha! South Dakota State would make more sense, having played Iowa State! If this is the case, Great West loses one and the Missouri Valley gains one. Thanks for the tip! xthumbsupx

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
Teams with games against NAIA competition should not be on that list.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Teams with games against NAIA competition should not be on that list.

Nothing but D1 games count.

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM
Nothing but D1 games count.

I know... I'm just saying.

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:11 AM
Delaware at #2 is a bit misleading...we are doing everything possible to make other teams look really good.

Keeler thinks that the FCS is going to institute some sort of draft for FBS transfers and he wants to make sure we get a good pick next year.

coover
November 3rd, 2008, 01:04 AM
Sagarins's "Predictor" Poll tries to predict the difference between teams in points. Subtract the difference between the higher rating team and the lower rated team... Add 2.78 points for home field advantage. By these numbers, App State should have been a 10 point favorite over Wofford.

1. JMU 73.25
2. Montana 72.30
3. Richmond 71.17
4. App State 69.68
5. Villanova 67.36
6. Cal Poly 66.66 (the team of the devil?)
7. Weber State 65.65
8. Wm & Mary 62.94
9. Wofford 62.45
10. Mass 62.36

siuham
November 3rd, 2008, 01:05 AM

bwahaha

appfan2008
November 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Sagarins's "Predictor" Poll tries to predict the difference between teams in points. Subtract the difference between the higher rating team and the lower rated team... Add 2.78 points for home field advantage. By these numbers, App State should have been a 10 point favorite over Wofford.

1. JMU 73.25
2. Montana 72.30
3. Richmond 71.17
4. App State 69.68
5. Villanova 67.36
7. Weber State 65.65
8. Wm & Mary 62.94
9. Wofford 62.45
10. Mass 62.36

interesting... well we beat that 10 point mark

Houndawg
November 3rd, 2008, 07:15 AM

I heard they wear shoes there.xnodx

igo4uni
November 3rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Aha! South Dakota State would make more sense, having played Iowa State! If this is the case, Great West loses one and the Missouri Valley gains one. Thanks for the tip! xthumbsupx

Iowa State hurts strength of schedule.xreadx xreadx xreadx xwhistlex xwhistlex xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Native
November 3rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Iowa State hurts strength of schedule.xreadx xreadx xreadx xwhistlex xwhistlex xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Perhaps! But not when compared against the weaker sisters of most of the FCS conferences.

We are trying to figure out why Sagarin gave "South Dakota" in the Great West Conference the 13th highest "strength of schedule" rating among all FCS programs.

One theory is that Sagarin really means South Dakota State, which plays in the Missouri Valley conference. Playing an FBS program such as Iowa State helps the strength of schedule rating. SDSU played Iowa State, which would contribute to a strengthening of the SDSU schedule.

Another theory is that the results are a bit skewed, since South Dakota does not have many D1 teams on its schedule. (Sagarin only computes the D1 matches - at least in theory.) Maybe there are too many teams in transition the Great West. If Cal Poly, Montana State, Northern Iowa and Southest Louisiana are the only games that count, with no D1 cupcakes, then that would be a pretty darn tough schedule!

Of course, strength of schedule alone does not mean much. Strength of schedule combined with outstanding performances against that schedule means a great deal, especially when compared with similar performances against weaker schedules.

slostang
November 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
interesting... well we beat that 10 point mark

Not by much.xsmiley_wix