PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh- 33 Georgetown- 13

ngineer
November 1st, 2008, 09:13 PM
Just got in from Washington. What a gorgeous day..75 degrees and brilliant sun. As for the game. Lehigh did the same thing as in the previous week against Holy Cross and came out flat on defense. Georgetown has some very quick backs and gave us problems early, going out to a 13-7 lead in taking advantage of an interception. Clark at QB, again, was erratic, overthrows and not seeing wide open receivers, such as the tight end. Though we missed Yansane, Jr. Brien Ruyak stepped up and made some nice catches. Big loss with TB McGowan going down in the third quarter with what looks like a serious ankle injury. First reports are negative on a fracture, but torn ligaments are likely. FB Watson showed some hard running in his absence, and backup Campbell is shifty, but much smaller. Leo missed two extra points, again, and was replaced on the last TD with Randazza. Not sure what's going on there. Defense got its act together in the second half. Had McGowan not gotten hurt, I think the score would have been bigger as he was ripping some nice runs of 7 plus and several occasions as well as some excellent screen passes.
Overall, the win was good, but it was far from a well played game. Lehigh still shows great support. There were more Lehigh fans in the stadium than Hoya fans, easily.
If the Hoyas can get bigger in the trenches, they are going to pretty good. As I said, they have some very dangerous backs and receivers, and very young. I hope they can have a solid win with Marist next week.
As for Lehigh, their work is cut out. The defense must come to play early against Colgate. If McGowan is out, the defense will be needed to keep the game close. Lehigh's strength this year has been against the run, and they will need to force Colgate to pass. Lehigh did have a couple more interceptions today to lead the PL. They will have to play like they did at Harvard to have a shot against the Raiders.

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
As for Lehigh, their work is cut out. The defense must come to play early against Colgate. If McGowan is out, the defense will be needed to keep the game close. Lehigh's strength this year has been against the run, and they will need to force Colgate to pass. Lehigh did have a couple more interceptions today to lead the PL. They will have to play like they did at Harvard to have a shot against the Raiders.

Except come out with more points!:p

ngineer
November 1st, 2008, 09:19 PM
Except come out with more points!:p

Obviously talking about the effort, especially on defense.;) That was a real tough loss and I think had a carry over effect the following week at Holy Cross.

Ivytalk
November 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Obviously talking about the effort, especially on defense.;) That was a real tough loss and I think had a carry over effect the following week at Holy Cross.

Just jerkin' your chain, ng! xsmiley_wix Should be a barnburner at Goodman next week!xnodx

Especially if you get Cole Hamels' hot wife to sing the National Anthem...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2008, 09:22 PM
I just don't see this team beating a solid team right now. They appear to have regressed over the last 2 weeks and the loss of McGowan could be the death blow. Not only is his running lost but so is pass blocking and leadership on the field. The only hope Lehigh has IMO is if Colgate comes in flat as a pancake otherwise it could be an ugly Saturday at Goodman.

ngineer
November 1st, 2008, 09:39 PM
I just don't see this team beating a solid team right now. They appear to have regressed over the last 2 weeks and the loss of McGowan could be the death blow. Not only is his running lost but so is pass blocking and leadership on the field. The only hope Lehigh has IMO is if Colgate comes in flat as a pancake otherwise it could be an ugly Saturday at Goodman.

No question we'll be heavy underdogs, especially if McGowan is out. But this is one of "those games" where a stellar defensive effort could spark the offense. I think the devastating loss last minute loss at Harvard had a effect on the team. I also agree, it is the job of the coaches to get a team refocused. But when you're dealing with 20 year old kids, you never know how they're going to react. I also agree that Clark is still a work in progress, but with Yansane returning next week hopefully, the passing game reaches a new level. The thing about playing Colgate is that this is a game the Lehigh should be sky-high over. It will right their listing ship with a big upset and put the Mountain Hawks on track toward getting the program turned around. Too bad Kankam quit this year when faced with being third on the depth chart. Now, he'd be starting.

LehighFan11
November 1st, 2008, 09:42 PM
This has to be a throwback game for Lehigh. They have a chance to prove something vs. Colgate in front of the home crowd on Parents weekend. The offense is a struggle right now, but if Lehigh is to win it will come from the defensive side of the ball. Colgate is a great team, but if you can contain the run? There is a reason why the Minny Vikings aren't good, you can't just run the ball.

DFW HOYA
November 1st, 2008, 10:00 PM
Just got in from Washington. What a gorgeous day..75 degrees and brilliant sun...There were more Lehigh fans in the stadium than Hoya fans, easily.

Maybe louder, but I don't see how the numbers would be that way. Attendance was 2,053, and the visitor side only seats about 700. What, were there Lehigh fans in the Georgetown student sections?

Attendance is an ongoing dilemma with Georgetown. Games are not promoted off campus (since there's no surface parking when people do arrive) and it's getting tougher to market to a student population that hasn't seen a home win in 2+ seasons. Still, they're averaging 97% capacity, so the thinking is "what would they do with the extra people"?

colgate13
November 1st, 2008, 10:28 PM
Parents weekend for Lehigh vs. Colgate? Why are they all so late this year...

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM
Parents weekend for Lehigh vs. Colgate? Why are they all so late this year...

The lack of home games i'm guessing. Lehigh has only had two home games since Sept. 6th.

ngineer
November 1st, 2008, 11:38 PM
Maybe louder, but I don't see how the numbers would be that way. Attendance was 2,053, and the visitor side only seats about 700. What, were there Lehigh fans in the Georgetown student sections?
Attendance is an ongoing dilemma with Georgetown. Games are not promoted off campus (since there's no surface parking when people do arrive) and it's getting tougher to market to a student population that hasn't seen a home win in 2+ seasons. Still, they're averaging 97% capacity, so the thinking is "what would they do with the extra people"?

If the visitor section seats only 700, then I'd say there were about 600 Lehigh fans and 400-500 Georgetown fans, and the 'real' attendance was about 1000. The home stands were only 1/3 filled, so they must have counted tickets sold. I actually counted about 250 across the way just before kickoff, with a few others showing up a little later.

HoyaMetanoia
November 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
I'm actually inclined to believe the attendance was way less than reported, as seems to often be the case with the Georgetown games.

Lehigh looked like they had a decent crowd, and I'd be surprised if the Georgetown side was as full for a game that wasn't: a. the home opener b. Homecoming or c. Parent's weekend.