PDA

View Full Version : Why The ASU-Wofford Game Means Less Than You Think It Does

AlphaSigMD
November 1st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Leading up to this game, I saw a lot of conversation on this board about how ASU and Wofford match up. Many people (frankly, almost all non-ASU, non-Wofford fans) puffed out their chests and predicted that Wofford would brazenly come into Kidd Brewer and easily beat the Mountaineers. Several were predicting outlandish scores, and I made mention of this in several posts. Likewise, there were many ASU fans who were predicting close wins with a significant minority predicting a blowout.

Nobody (except FCSpwnsFBS early in the in-game thread...xthumbsupx ) could have a predicted the way the game really turned out. As a result, there was one of the most immediate and drastic changes in opinion I have seen since joining this board. In the eyes of many posters, Wofford went from being arguably the best team in the country to being an overrated sham of a team, simply by losing big to ASU at home. Suddenly it became in vogue to use this one game as a microcosm of the season and secondarily use it as a rationalization that the SoCon is an inferior conference. I'm certain that its easier for many others to bash Wofford than it is to praise a much-hated ASU program, but I don't think that it is the central problem.

In my opinion, the fact that we often forget about the entire season, and judge only based on a "what have you done for me lately" mindset is one of the most frustrating and limiting parts of the board. A few thoughts on this.

1. Wofford is a good football team. They played like the No. 1 team in the country at Elon (the same Elon that played Richmond as well as say Furman played App State). Is that game, in itself, an adequate assessment of Wofford or Elon...NO. Assuming so would be a mistake.

2. ASU is a good football team. They played like the No. 1 team in the country last night. Will they continue to play like that...i.e. out of their mind good...it remains to be seen. I don't think any team in the country can play that well on a week by week basis. It would be dangerous for any ASU fan to assume that we are "that" good ever time we step on the field. We cannot forget how we have at times looked suspect during some of our games this year. However, in the instances that we can elevate our level of play to the way we played last night, I believe that there is no team in the country that can stand against us.

3. JMU is a good football team. They certainly played like that No.1 team in the country during the 2nd half of the JMU-ASU game. They played like a champion on the last 2 plays of two critical game this year. They have passed every FCS test thrown at them...including a shellacking of Delaware today. They certainly have a case as being the No. 1 team in the country based on their merits across the entire season. I've seen some conjecture about how "ASU is playing better than JMU right now in the season"...and I have to dismiss that, because it frankly doesn't matter right now. It only matters how well we play if and when we meet in the playoffs. Lets wait to have those conversations during the week leading up to a ASU-JMU national championship game xsmiley_wix. JMU has earned the right (atleast until the playoffs - if they keep winning) not to be second guessed.

4. For those who want to slam the SoCon as weak...(Big Sky...I'm looking firmly in your direction) there are countless arguments to be made against that assessment. I prefer for you to keep thinking like that though, because that can only help when either Elon or Wofford play against your teams in the playoffs. I think an Elon vs. Webber match up would be quite intriguing - Elon having the edge of course!xthumbsupx .

I think that overall, it would be very helpful for all of us (ASU, Wofford, and everyone else...) to sit back and take a breath before we jump to conclusions based on one game. There is a lot of football left to play, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Weber State, Montana, Appalachian State, James Madison, Wofford, and Elon are all really good teams that all have a chance at winning a few playoff games this year.

That is all. xcoffeex

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 1st, 2008, 09:04 PM
Leading up to this game, I saw a lot of conversation on this board about how ASU and Wofford match up. Many people (frankly, almost all non-ASU, non-Wofford fans) puffed out their chests and predicted that Wofford would brazenly come into Kidd Brewer and easily beat the Mountaineers. Several were predicting outlandish scores, and I made mention of this in several posts. Likewise, there were many ASU fans who were predicting close wins with a significant minority predicting a blowout.

Nobody (except FCSpwnsFBS early in the in-game thread...xthumbsupx ) could have a predicted the way the game really turned out. As a result, there was one of the most immediate and drastic changes in opinion I have seen since joining this board. In the eyes of many posters, Wofford went from being arguably the best team in the country to being an overrated sham of a team, simply by losing big to ASU at home. Suddenly it became in vogue to use this one game as a microcosm of the season and secondarily use it as a rationalization that the SoCon is an inferior conference. I'm certain that its easier for many others to bash Wofford than it is to praise a much-hated ASU program, but I don't think that it is the central problem.

In my opinion, the fact that we often forget about the entire season, and judge only based on a "what have you done for me lately" mindset is one of the most frustrating and limiting parts of the board. A few thoughts on this.

1. Wofford is a good football team. They played like the No. 1 team in the country at Elon (the same Elon that played Richmond as well as say Furman played App State). Is that game, in itself, an adequate assessment of Wofford or Elon...NO. Assuming so would be a mistake.

2. ASU is a good football team. They played like the No. 1 team in the country last night. Will they continue to play like that...i.e. out of their mind good...it remains to be seen. I don't think any team in the country can play that well on a week by week basis. It would be dangerous for any ASU fan to assume that we are "that" good ever time we step on the field. We cannot forget how we have at times looked suspect during some of our games this year. However, in the instances that we can elevate our level of play to the way we played last night, I believe that there is no team in the country that can stand against us.

3. JMU is a good football team. They certainly played like that No.1 team in the country during the 2nd half of the JMU-ASU game. They played like a champion on the last 2 plays of two critical game this year. They have passed every FCS test thrown at them...including a shellacking of Delaware today. They certainly have a case as being the No. 1 team in the country based on their merits across the entire season. I've seen some conjecture about how "ASU is playing better than JMU right now in the season"...and I have to dismiss that, because it frankly doesn't matter right now. It only matters how well we play if and when we meet in the playoffs. Lets wait to have those conversations during the week leading up to a ASU-JMU national championship game xsmiley_wix. JMU has earned the right (atleast until the playoffs - if they keep winning) not to be second guessed.

4. For those who want to slam the SoCon as weak...(Big Sky...I'm looking firmly in your direction) there are countless arguments to be made against that assessment. I prefer for you to keep thinking like that though, because that can only help when either Elon or Wofford play against your teams in the playoffs. I think an Elon vs. Webber match up would be quite intriguing - Elon having the edge of course!xthumbsupx .

I think that overall, it would be very helpful for all of us (ASU, Wofford, and everyone else...) to sit back and take a breath before we jump to conclusions based on one game. There is a lot of football left to play, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Weber State, Montana, Appalachian State, James Madison, Wofford, and Elon are all really good teams that all have a chance at winning a few playoff games this year.

That is all. xcoffeex

xthumbsupx Rep points for you 2.

APPStrongNC
November 1st, 2008, 09:16 PM
good post man......

OldSouth
November 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Ditto. Thats why I love the playoffs. A fumble on the five, bad Coach calls, make you go home. Who cares what rating you were going into the playoffs.

LehighFan11
November 1st, 2008, 09:21 PM
Thank you!

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 09:30 PM

Thanks for giving us credit. We got Scared to death at the Rock. I believe if we could hit the do-over button we would play better. We may not have won but we would at least kept it competitive. Now that you've beaten us expect us to play perfecter football because we learn from our mistakes. See you in the playoffsxpeacex

matfu
November 1st, 2008, 09:33 PM
On a given day app state, wofford, elon, furman, ga southern could be the others when one was having a bad game and the other a good one; i still give the edge to the caa as the best conference this year with the southern conf being a close second. what we do know is most likely james madison and app will have the homefield advantage in the playoffs

AlphaSigMD
November 1st, 2008, 10:14 PM
Thanks for giving us credit. We got Scared to death at the Rock. I believe if we could hit the do-over button we would play better. We may not have won but we would at least kept it competitive. Now that you've beaten us expect us to play perfecter football because we learn from our mistakes. See you in the playoffsxpeacex

You're welcome.

I think that ASU might have been able to have that kinda performance 2 times out of 10. Wofford did not respond well and it ended up lopsided because the difference was exaggerated.

Wofford could probably play up and have a similar game 2/10 times against ASU, especially if ASU didn't perform well concurrently.

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 10:18 PM

Is that better than "gooder"? xeyebrowx

HiHiYikas
November 1st, 2008, 10:20 PM
perfecter is way gooder than gooder, everybody know this.

Reign of Terrier
November 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM

We really played near perfect offense before this game.

HensRock
November 1st, 2008, 11:47 PM

That is all. xcoffeex

No. You forgot Richmond and Villanova.

Personally, I think Villanova is very, very good this year and will go deep into the playoffs. Possibly a NC appearance.

Edit: And you should have forgotten about Elon!

ASU
November 2nd, 2008, 07:17 AM
Well.....at least the SoCon will get one team into the playoff this year.....how many members of the CAA now? 17,000? I am sure someone will get them all in some way.....because we have been told by THEM that they are the best over and over and over and over and over and over again.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 08:04 AM

Great post! Wofford is, was, and remains a good football team. App just had their number Friday night. Other teams that play the Terriers may not get the same results. I think they will do well in the playoffs.

App's D does get to practice against one of the best option players in the country. It's not like we did not know what to expect. I did think Wofford got away from its ground game too early.

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 08:07 AM

Ah, the Grammar police. I think you need a copy of that great grammar book by Jeff Foxworthy "How to Speak English More Gooder Fastly." I am sure Barnes & Nobles can get you a copy.

jonmac
November 2nd, 2008, 08:34 AM
Ah, the Grammar police. I think you need a copy of that great grammar book by Jeff Foxworthy "How to Speak English More Gooder Fastly." I am sure Barnes & Nobles can get you a copy.

No, it's not the grammar police this time, it's the "using words that don't make sense or even exist" police. How does one do something "perfecter"(more perfect), isn't perfect, well, um, PERFECT?xsmiley_wix

Just kidding youngterrier, you point was well taken.

blueballs
November 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM
It isn't who the best team is, it is who plays the best that day...

Having seen Elon, Wofford, and App against a common opponent there isn't a slither of difference in the talent level and coaching between the three. You can also throw GSU in that mix too even though they lost by a combined 4 points to those three (I haven't seen Furman and Samford yet).

Take this to the bank: App ain't 46 points better than Wofford and Wofford ain't 5 TD's better than Elon, although both were those particular days. Elon vs. App will be a barnburner game, with the team making the less mistakes coming out on top. The same can be said between 'nova, JMU, and Richmond.

The top teams in the CAA and the SoCon are probably very close in talent level and coaching. Whoever wins in the playoffs will be determined by health, momentum, and execution that given Saturday... none of these teams is head and shoulders better than the rest, which is why the playoffs will be so much fun this year.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2008, 09:02 AM

Having seen Elon, Wofford, and App against a common opponent there isn't a slither of difference in the talent level and coaching between the three. You can also throw GSU in that mix too even though they lost by a combined 4 points to those three (I haven't seen Furman and Samford yet).

Take this to the bank: App ain't 46 points better than Wofford and Wofford ain't 5 TD's better than Elon, although both were those particular days. Elon vs. App will be a barnburner game, with the team making the less mistakes coming out on top. The same can be said between 'nova, JMU, and Richmond.

The top teams in the CAA and the SoCon are probably very close in talent level and coaching. Whoever wins in the playoffs will be determined by health, momentum, and execution that given Saturday... none of these teams is head and shoulders better than the rest, which is why the playoffs will be so much fun this year.

One more thing I'd like to add is that you really can't overlook the "revenge factor", especially when the win from the previous year was by 10 points or more. Last year Elon beat Wofford by 11, Wofford beat App. by 11, and App. beat Elon by 17. If the SoCon critics are right about App. being the only real team in the conference it should be a blowout, but I'm not going to bet on it. xpeacex

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2008, 09:10 AM

Personally, I think Villanova is very, very good this year and will go deep into the playoffs. Possibly a NC appearance.

Edit: And you should have forgotten about Elon!lol

After re-reading my post, I see how you could make the assumption that I meant only those teams are capable of winning playoff games.

That's ridiculous. Of course Richmond, Nova, Elon, McNeese, Northern Iowa, etc. all have a chance at winning playoff games. I've never thought otherwise.

However, I was only referring to the teams he mentioned. xpeacex

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2008, 01:51 PM

GSU has the talent but always play at their opponent's level. That's because they are young. If I'm going to pick anyone to topple ASU in the next couple years it's definitely them.

DB_Atlantic10
November 2nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

I think that overall, it would be very helpful for all of us (ASU, Wofford, and everyone else...) to sit back and take a breath before we jump to conclusions based on one game. There is a lot of football left to play, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Five or six weeks ago... I predicted that no team would come into the Rock and upset ASU...if I could find the post I would..... I knew better..... Many got upset when coach Matthews made the SoCon statement....but he knew noone would/could beat this team knowing their schedule and where the games would be played. Yet with all of the whining...no one has proven him wrong. ASU as predicted, will be playing at home in the play-offs...that's why JMU has to win out as they don't have the luxury of a weak schedule and favorable play-off pairings.....xreadx

DB_Atlantic10
November 2nd, 2008, 03:20 PM

The top teams in the CAA and the SoCon are probably very close in talent level and coaching. Whoever wins in the playoffs will be determined by health, momentum, and execution that given Saturday... none of these teams is head and shoulders better than the rest, which is why the playoffs will be so much fun this year. This doesn't make any sense.....some of these games are straight blow-outs..... So you are saying that next week if they played Elon could put up 56 on Wofford or better yet Wofford could put up 70 on ASU. I strongly disagree...that is not great football. Good football games go down to the wire....regardless of the score. Now if it were Wofford 69 and ASU 70....that I could understand.

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
Five or six weeks ago... I predicted that no team would come into the Rock and upset ASU...if I could find the post I would..... I knew better..... Many got upset when coach Matthews made the SoCon statement....but he knew noone would/could beat this team knowing their schedule and where the games would be played. Yet with all of the whining...no one has proven him wrong. ASU as predicted, will be playing at home in the play-offs...that's why JMU has to win out as they don't have the luxury of a weak schedule and favorable play-off pairings.....xreadx

Weak schedulexrolleyesx. GSU, Furman, Wofford, and Elon yep that's a weak one.

Favorable play-off pairing: JMU, EWU, Richmond, and Delaware yep you got us there too, are you saying the CAA is weak I'm confused. xreadx

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2008, 04:51 PM
.that's why JMU has to win out as they don't have the luxury of a weak schedule and favorable play-off pairings.....xreadx

JMU has a tough schedule... no doubt. But... Appalachian State does NOT have a weak schedule.

According to the NCAA website JMU has the 2nd toughest schedule and Appalachian has the 7th toughest. Is any schedule not in the top 5 weak??

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/toughest%20schedule/fcs_9games_cumm.pdf

Green26
November 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I don't believe the "strength of schedule" on the ncaa website has any meaning at all. I believe it merely calculates the records of the opponents played and to be played.

It doesn't measure strength at all.

Edge316007
November 2nd, 2008, 06:39 PM
That is exactly what strength of schedule is.

appsfan
November 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM
Looking at the games remaining "strength of schedule" appears to favor ASU, Montana, Weber State, Villanova,and UNI among others, to have an easier stretch drive of the regular season.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM
JMU has a tough schedule... no doubt. But... Appalachian State does NOT have a weak schedule.

According to the NCAA website JMU has the 2nd toughest schedule and Appalachian has the 7th toughest. Is any schedule not in the top 5 weak??

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Internet/toughest%20schedule/fcs_9games_cumm.pdf

The NCAA SOS list is worthless. Sagarin does a better job of analysis:

Here are Sagarin's the top 20 FCS teams arranged by order of strength of schedule against Division 1 opponents:

SOCON 16 Samford 120
CAA 5 Villanova 122
CAA 1 James Madison 123
BIG SKY 6 Weber State 126
CAA 3 Richmond 134
SOCON 2 Appalachian State 135
CAA 10 Massachusetts 133
SOCON 13 Furman 138
SOCON 17 Georgia Southern 147
BIG SKY 4 Montana 149
BIG SKY 18 Northern Arizona 150
SOCON 7 Wofford 152
CAA 15 Maine 154
SOCON 12 Elon 156
MISSOURI VALLEY 14 Northern Iowa 160
CAA 9 William & Mary 162
MISSOURI VALLEY 19 Western Illinois 163
GREAT WESTERN 8 Cal Poly-SLO 165
CAA 11 New Hampshire 174
MISSOURI VALLEY 20 Southern Illinois 176

Skjellyfetti
November 2nd, 2008, 07:19 PM
The NCAA SOS list is worthless. Sagarin does a better job of analysis:

Here are Sagarin's the top 20 FCS teams arranged by order of strength of schedule against Division 1 opponents:

SOCON 16 Samford 120
CAA 5 Villanova 122
CAA 1 James Madison 123
BIG SKY 6 Weber State 126
CAA 3 Richmond 134
SOCON 2 Appalachian State 135
CAA 10 Massachusetts 133
SOCON 13 Furman 138
SOCON 17 Georgia Southern 147
BIG SKY 4 Montana 149
BIG SKY 18 Northern Arizona 150
SOCON 7 Wofford 152
CAA 15 Maine 154
SOCON 12 Elon 156
MISSOURI VALLEY 14 Northern Iowa 160
CAA 9 William & Mary 162
MISSOURI VALLEY 19 Western Illinois 163
GREAT WESTERN 8 Cal Poly-SLO 165
CAA 11 New Hampshire 174
MISSOURI VALLEY 20 Southern Illinois 176

The point remains... Appalachian has the 6th toughest sos according to Sagarin and the 7th toughest according to the NCAA website.

App's schedule is hardly weak.

ASU_MBA
November 2nd, 2008, 07:50 PM
Good post but it was great to get revenge from last year on Nat'l TV...

terrierbob
November 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM

More better.

AZGrizFan
November 3rd, 2008, 01:00 PM

Edit: And you should have forgotten about Elon!

I agree:

Montana
Weber
JMU
ASU
Wofford
Villanova
Richmond
Cal Poly

Barring a matchup of any of these in the first round, these should be the last 8 teams standing. Any ONE of them is good enough to be National Champion.

Appguy
November 3rd, 2008, 01:04 PM
If there's anything taken from this game I think it would be the emergence of 6-5 Brian Quick as the go to guy at receiver.