PDA

View Full Version : How would "round-robin" play work in the MEAC?

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Question for AGS experts:

I for one think that the MEAC should look to expand to 12 football playing schools. (14 total). To be able to split into a divisonal format. (North-South alignment) With the following schools.

MEAC North
1 Delaware State
2 Hampton
3 Howard
4 Morgan State
5 Norfolk State
6 North Carolina A&T

MEAC South
1 Bethune-Cookman
2 Florida A&M
3 South Carolina State
4 Winston-Salem
5 Savannah State*
6 North Carolina Central*
(* denotes potential MEAC-affiliated schools)

IMO this would help with the high travel costs of being such a geographically large conference. (Delaware to Florida) by allowing the schools to schedule regionally and coordinate travel plans more effectively. And it would open up our non-conference slate to other schools instead of having WSSU, NCCU, and SSU counting as our OOCs. Killing our GPI in the process. xnonono2x

From my perspective, playing 5 games against divisional foes and 3 against the other division, leaving 3 (4 in some years) open of OOC games. And also included in the 3 other division games, one would be guaranteed (so some rivalries could be preserved) and the other two would rotate on an annual basis. Does anyone see any potential problems with this?

Any and all comments and opinions welcome. xpeacex

gr8ness97
November 1st, 2008, 07:33 PM
Why does everyone make the NCAT/NCCU mistake

NCCU should be in the north since they are closer to the North Schools than NCAT....

Oh course, anything that makes too much sense means that the commish isnt gonna do it

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 08:05 PM

NCCU should be in the north since they are closer to the North Schools than NCAT....

Oh course, anything that makes too much sense means that the commish isnt gonna do it

Details man, details xlolx

my mistake, thats why I'm not one of the AGS experts xpeacex

Potential (guaranteed) rivalry game:
WSSU- NCCU

trying to think of others...xoopsx

but most of the rivalry games would already be within the division:

Hampton-Howard
Norfolk-Hampton
Howard-DSU
FAMU-BCU
among others

it would probably be best to make it optional, but that would depend on scheduling.

Poly Pigskin
November 1st, 2008, 08:10 PM
And it would open up our non-conference slate to other schools instead of having WSSU, NCCU, and SSU counting as our OOCs. Killing our GPI in the process. xnonono2x

How does including bad schools in your conference help your GPI? xconfusedx

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 08:13 PM
How does including bad schools in your conference help your GPI? xconfusedx

They won't be bad forever...conference affiliation can do wonders for recruiting and competitiveness of a program, and plus with the round robin format, we won't be playing these so-called "bad schools" every year. xnodx

813Jag
November 1st, 2008, 08:44 PM
They won't be bad forever...conference affiliation can do wonders for recruiting and competitiveness of a program, and plus with the round robin format, we won't be playing these so-called "bad schools" every year. xnodx
not always true, Valley has been in the SWAC for years 0 championships.
I say you play a 5+3 schedule.

DSUrocks07
November 1st, 2008, 08:57 PM
not always true, Valley has been in the SWAC for years 0 championships.
I say you play a 5+3 schedule.

moreso than being an I-AA/FCS independant. In MVSU's case, its a case of poor recruiting in relation to other "more prestigious" SWAC schools (Southern, Grambling, Jackson and so forth) WSSU, NCCU and SSU wouldn't have this problem in the MEAC.

R.A.
November 1st, 2008, 10:04 PM

A&T has some good rivalries with northern teams. HU, HIU, NSU.

DSUrocks07
November 2nd, 2008, 06:04 AM
A&T has some good rivalries with northern teams. HU, HIU, NSU.

Thats true. It probably makes more sense to keep them within the same division as those teams. That way they can play those teams every year. And if A&T wants too they could play NCCU every year if they like. But in my opinion I would think that WSSU and NCCU would make more natural rivals. And were only talking a distance of 50 miles or so from Greensboro and Durham.

A&T should be in the North

WSSU and NCCU should be in the South.

And both WSSU and NCCU can split the guarantee win A&T so they'll play them every other year.

So for example:

2012 - A&T plays NCCU
2013 - A&T plays WSSU

and so on and so forth.