PDA

View Full Version : 01 Nov Big Sky Thread

Native
November 1st, 2008, 02:06 PM
Up this week (Conference record, 10/26 Sagarin rank in parenthesis):

Northern Colorado (1-3, #51) at Montana State (2-2, #34)

Northern Arizona (4-1, #16) at Montana (3-1, #4)

Portland State (2-2, #54) at Weber State (5-0, #3)

Sacramento State (1-4, #48) at Eastern Washington (2-2, #26)

Idaho State (0-5, #94) at Cal Poly (Great West 2-0, #8)

Native
November 1st, 2008, 02:26 PM
Montana is up 21-0 over Northern Arizona in Missoula at the top of the second (correction) quarter.

Bergquist is 7/10 for 78 yards and a TD for Montana. Chase Reynolds has 69 yards and two TDs on 8 carries.

Running back Deonte Williams is back for NAU despite last week's reported injury and averaging 7 ypc but has only 4 carries. Two turnovers in the first quarter have given the Grizz over ten minutes' possession compared to less than five for the Lumberjacks, so far.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 1st, 2008, 02:34 PM
I see it as 31-0 at the half for the Griz over NAU.

Native
November 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
I see it as 31-0 at the half for the Griz over NAU.

Turnovers! Northern Arizona: two lost fumbles and two interceptions.

The Grizz are looking good!

Native
November 1st, 2008, 02:52 PM
Weber up 17-0 with 12 minutes left in the second quarter.

Native
November 1st, 2008, 02:58 PM
MSU finally scores a TD in the third quarter to lead UNC 13-0.

appstate38
November 1st, 2008, 03:02 PM
So let's get it started.... Is NAU overrated???? xsmiley_wix

Shellin
November 1st, 2008, 03:07 PM

After the last six quarters I would think that is a safe bet, we'll see how they come out against us here in the 3rd quarter.

Native
November 1st, 2008, 03:12 PM

Turnovers, turnovers, turnovers...

Bottom line: I don't think NAU will be getting an invitation this year.

Now it's all Montana and Weber State for the Big Sky.

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:28 PM
Montana now up 38-3 in the third.

Native
November 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Weber up 17-0 with 12 minutes left in the second quarter.

Weber leads 24-0 at the half.

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
Correct that 45-3

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2008, 03:34 PM
I think NAU still deserves a playoff bid if they can stay within 50. This is just a testament to how good Montana is.

Right? xwhistlex

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:35 PM
I think NAU still deserves a playoff bid if they can stay within 50. This is just a testament to how good Montana is.

Right? xwhistlex

No.

Sorry no one wanted to take your bait.

That rule only applies in the SoCon.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
No.

Sorry no one wanted to take your bait.

That rule only applies in the SoCon.

The post has only been up for 2 minutes ... someone may fall for it. Shhh... xsmiley_wix

Native
November 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM

Right? xwhistlex

Oh sure... and Prairie View should get a bid, and Maine, and... xrolleyesx

I would love for NAU to get an invitation and for the BSC to get three teams into the post-season brackets, but after the eight auto-bids, exactly which top 14 team would we leave out of the playoffs to make a place for Northern Arizona? xconfusedx xconfusedx

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:39 PM
The post has only been up for 2 minutes ... someone may fall for it. Shhh... xsmiley_wix

Be quiet 89Hen might here you. If you feed him he won't leave.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2008, 03:41 PM
Be quiet 89Hen might here you. If you feed him he won't leave.

See, I trapped the Weber fan ... you just didn't wait long enough.

Funny re: 89hen. I'll walk away quietly now. xpeacex

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:42 PM
See, I trapped the Weber fan ... you just didn't wait long enough.

Funny re: 89hen. I'll walk away quietly now. xpeacex

The Weber fan is new don't pray on the weak.

You Spiders and the twisted webs you weave. :D

Native
November 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
The Weber fan is new don't pray on the weak.

You Spiders and the twisted webs you weave. :D

It wouldn't be any fun if no one fell for the trap! xsmiley_wix

Native
November 1st, 2008, 03:45 PM
MSU finally scores a TD in the third quarter to lead UNC 13-0.

The Bears score a TD in the fourth quarter to give Montana State a game of it, trailing only 7-13 with about 10 minutes to go.

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:46 PM
If UNC beats Montana State again I have a feeling we won't hear from Bobcat fans for a very long time.

BigHouseClosedEnd
November 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
Good luck to both of you. Part of me is hoping I get to make a trip to one of your cities very soon...

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:48 PM
It wouldn't be any fun if no one fell for the trap! xsmiley_wix

You Utahns are annoyingly nice. xlolx

Native
November 1st, 2008, 03:54 PM
If UNC beats Montana State again I have a feeling we won't hear from Bobcat fans for a very long time.

Have we heard from those folks at all lately?

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Have we heard from those folks at all lately?

As the season goes on the volume goes down. It's annual science.

Native
November 1st, 2008, 04:00 PM
Good luck to both of you. Part of me is hoping I get to make a trip to one of your cities very soon...

Why thank you! The pleasure would be all ours.xsmiley_wix

mtgrizfan4life
November 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM
Montana 45, NAU 10

Are the GRIZ back? Thanks for the butt kicking Weber State. It helped us a ton. We want a playoff rematch!

Native
November 1st, 2008, 04:06 PM
As the season goes on the volume goes down. It's annual science.

That's a shame. xsmhx The kids on the field deserve their fans' support, whether they are 10-0 or 0-10! xnodx

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM
Not sure how bad I want a rematch right now - Weber is not slowing down either.

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 04:07 PM
That's a shame. xsmhx The kids on the field deserve their fans' support, whether they are 10-0 or 0-10! xnodx

That's true. Weber needs to fill their stands!!!

Native
November 1st, 2008, 04:10 PM
That's true. Weber needs to fill their stands!!!

All the Weber fans support the team through thick and thin, but the five of us are not enough to fill Stewart. xbawlingx

catbob
November 1st, 2008, 04:14 PM
I'm here. Nothing to talk about with my Cats, our offense is absolutely abysmal. We benched Kempt today!

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 04:18 PM
I'm here. Nothing to talk about with my Cats, our offense is absolutely abysmal. We benched Kempt today!

You got the W that's what counts and you are still in the thick of things. UNC is not nearly as bad as they used to be.

You benched Kempt? When in the game?

Ducks could use him right now xbawlingx

Native
November 1st, 2008, 04:33 PM

Welcome, CatBob! 20-7 ain't bad! ...better than Weber's margin at home against the Bears. Apparently the placekicker got you on the board to start MSU scoring, but espn is not publishing the box score.

Dish out the details?

GOKATS
November 1st, 2008, 04:42 PM
Welcome, CatBob! 20-7 ain't bad! ...better than Weber's margin at home against the Bears. Apparently the placekicker got you on the board to start MSU scoring, but espn is not publishing the box score.

Dish out the details?

Kempt threw a pick late in the fourth and took a pretty good hit- he hadn't done anything all day so they put Iddins in. The offense only put up two FG's (the first one from 53 yds.), the two TD's came from the 'D' (the first one Crawford did run in one one play drive after the 'D' gave them great field position- the second was a pick6). Crawford had a good day running but that was about it for the 'O' today.

CrazyCat
November 1st, 2008, 04:44 PM
Offense was horrible except for Crawford. Kempt was injured in the 4th and Iddins did o.k. replacing him.

Defense kept us in the game with 4 INT's, 5 sacks,9 TFL, and kept UNC to 5 yards rushing.

You can get the stats

http://www.msubobcats.com/livestats/fb/xlive.htm (http://www.msubobcats.com/livestats/fb/xlive.htm)

Native
November 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Montana:
Cole Bergquist 14/23 for 186 yards and 3 TDs.
Chase Reynolds 12 carries for 157 yards and 3 TDs.
Brody McKnight 1/1 FG and 6/6 PATs for 9 points.

Northern Colorado:
Lance Kriesien 14/22 for 83 yards, no TDs and 1 INT.
Michael Herrick 2/6 for 30 yards, not TDs and 1 INT.
Deonte Williams 15 carries for 105 yards and 1 TD.

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
Montana:

Northern Arizona:

Fixed it for ya

JALMOND
November 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
3:46 left 4th

Weber 31
PSU 21

PSU just scored but maybe too late.

Peems
November 1st, 2008, 04:59 PM
Montana 45, NAU 10

Are the GRIZ back? Thanks for the butt kicking Weber State. It helped us a ton. We want a playoff rematch!

The Griz are much better now than when we played Weber, but we still wouldn't be able to stop Smith.

Native
November 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
3:46 left 4th

Weber 31
PSU 21

PSU just scored but maybe too late.

Yeah, too late, but Cameron Higgins and the offense looks terrible in the second half!

JALMOND
November 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM
WSU just got a gift, probably cinched the win. Pass interfenrence on a ball thrown at least four or five yards out of bounds, officials call the penalty and WSU gets first down.

Native
November 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM
Weber takes the win.

Not a championship caliber performance by the offense.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2008, 05:12 PM
To all those who thought Weber would score 50+ and 60+ on PSU,

Final

Weber 31
PSU 21

I know, next week Montana will score 60+ (fat chance!!!).

Native
November 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM
WSU just got a gift, probably cinched the win. Pass interfenrence on a ball thrown at least four or five yards out of bounds, officials call the penalty and WSU gets first down. xbawlingx

The game was called pretty well and relatively even. xnodx

Portland State has several outstanding components, xbowx but not a great team. xsmhx

See ya next year in Portland! xcoolx

Native
November 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
The Griz are much better now than when we played Weber, but we still wouldn't be able to stop Smith.

The Grizz could have stopped Smith today! The offense was terrible in the second half.

SeattleGriz
November 1st, 2008, 05:47 PM
Montana:

Northern Colorado:

Not sure if you are making fun of the broadcast, since they had Montana beating Northern Colorado for the first quarter and a half. Oh well, one can't complain with free satellite coverage.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
The Grizz could have stopped Smith today! The offense was terrible in the second half.

Give credit to the PSU defense (not that anyone ever does). PSU D did what they were supposed to do in the second half to give us a chance. Actually, for the whole ball game. PSU D often found themselves on a short field, something you can't do playing against that potent Weber offense.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2008, 05:54 PM
xbawlingx

The game was called pretty well and relatively even. xnodx

Portland State has several outstanding components, xbowx but not a great team. xsmhx

See ya next year in Portland! xcoolx

You're too new here to know that I am usually very objective and unbiased. I call them as I see them. The game was called relatively OK for Big Sky standards (a lot of times, no guts to call a close penalty on the home team, no matter where the game is played, Portland included), but not good enough for Glanville and Davis to get their blood boiling. No sour grapes here (unless you want to go further with that particular penalty). We dug too deep a hole to try to get out of. Congrats, Weber.

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 05:56 PM
I hate to say this, but I becoming a Weber Believer™ (note I have trademarked Weber believer, any unauthorized use without express written permission is strictly forbidden) - just don't screw it up and lose in the first round.

I Bleed Purple
November 1st, 2008, 05:57 PM
Somewhere close to 10k today in Ogden. Only the end bleachers didn't have a bunch of people in them.

And I mentioned it your game thread, Jalmond, the PI call was legit. Nothing like the two unsportsmanlike calls Glanville got last year.

UNCBears2010
November 1st, 2008, 06:00 PM
I don't think Waggener was totally healthy today, and we couldn't have done much worse offensively with Orms in there. In short, Orms should have started today, not Waggener.

JALMOND
November 1st, 2008, 06:13 PM
Somewhere close to 10k today in Ogden. Only the end bleachers didn't have a bunch of people in them.

And I mentioned it your game thread, Jalmond, the PI call was legit. Nothing like the two unsportsmanlike calls Glanville got last year.

The ball has to be catchable to have pass interference. Hard for it to be catchable when it is so far out of bounds (just my opinion).

Still, as I said before, we dug too big a hole, with all our offensive miscues the first half. The pass interference call would not (and did not) have made any difference. If we would have got it, it would have made it interesting, but the long run, would not have made any difference. A loss is still a loss.

I have to say, it was really nice of the Wildcats to keep throwing the ball in the fourth quarter and not let Smith chew up time. Made us think we still had a chance.:D

Grizaholic17
November 1st, 2008, 06:37 PM
I hate to say this, but I becoming a Weber Believer™ (note I have trademarked Weber believer, any unauthorized use without express written permission is strictly forbidden) - just don't screw it up and lose in the first round.

I have been a weber believer ever since before they beat us. Great work guys! Win out and take the title and kick some a$$ in the playoffs.

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM
Sac is beating EWU in the 4th. 15-13

I Bleed Purple
November 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
They showed a replay on the video board from ground level. Ball went out of bounds within reach of Phillips.

People in our area, me included, were wondering if the call would be pass interference or holding.

Plus, you can only wave off PI if when the infraction occurred, the official knows it's uncatchable. You can't retroactively wave it off. The PI happened when Higgins had just released the ball, so you have to call it.

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 06:39 PM
I have been a weber believer ever since before they beat us. Great work guys! Win out and take the title and kick some a$$ in the playoffs.

I know this aint the poli lounge but you're a commie. xnonono2x ;)

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 06:40 PM
you will be hearing from my attorney.

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:41 PM
you will be hearing from my attorney.

can I also borrow your attorney?

DuckDuckGriz
November 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM
You will all be hearing from mine.

alexale where are you son

grizbeer
November 1st, 2008, 06:48 PM
can I also borrow your attorney?I don't see why not (he's an attorney, it's not like he is honest or I trust him).

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 06:50 PM
I don't see why not (he's an attorney, it's not like he is honest or I trust him).

xlolx xlolx xlolx

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
Good to know that Montana can run 223 yards on the best run defense in FCS, especially when, according to some people, we don't have any run game what-so-ever. xlolx

Nice game, Griz! xthumbsupx

GrizFanStuckInUtah
November 1st, 2008, 10:30 PM
Man, somewhere it must have gotten missed that Eastern Wa. got beat by Sac St. xeekx

Crazy day for football, I didn't get to watch much though. I had to work on my car and go to a nephew's birthday party. I too think the Griz have played so much better since the Weber game, bad loss, but woke them up a bit :)

Cleets
November 1st, 2008, 10:48 PM
The Griz absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball today...

xbowx

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 11:33 PM
The Griz absolutely dominated on both sides of the ball today...

xbowxBy my count that's four weeks in a row! xthumbsupx

This team looks far more dominant than last year's team. And Chase Reynolds is going to be a freaking MONSTER!

Grizzly train is picking up speed! xwhistlex

UNCBears2010
November 1st, 2008, 11:36 PM
By my count that's four weeks in a row! xthumbsupx

This team looks far more dominant than last year's team. And Chase Reynolds is a freaking MONSTER!

We can shorten that middle part up a bit.xnodx

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 11:37 PM
By my count that's four weeks in a row! xthumbsupx

This team looks far more dominant than last year's team. And Chase Reynolds is going to be a freaking MONSTER!

Lets hope we don't run out of coal on the way to PSU.

Peems
November 1st, 2008, 11:46 PM
The main difference to me is that Hauck is finally going with speed guys, instead of big possession guys.

FCS Go!
November 1st, 2008, 11:50 PM
The main difference to me is that Hauck is finally going with speed guys, instead of big possession guys.

Yeah, the Griz seemed in love with big (but slower) receivers the past 3 or 4 years. I like the change. xnodx

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 11:54 PM
Yeah, the Griz seemed in love with big (but slower) receivers the past 3 or 4 years. I like the change. xnodx

And this group of receivers will block! Just give them the chance to hit somebody and they will not disappoint.

Peems
November 1st, 2008, 11:58 PM

Harkens back to the old days!!! Also in the RB department, Lex was quick to the hole but I never would consider him "Fast." Early on Chase was used sparingly but now he is the man, and schmidt just comes in to pace him it seems. Reynolds is the back for the offense that we are running now and I'm excited to see what he brings.

griz&beer
November 2nd, 2008, 01:18 AM
You never can say to much about the great O Line Play. Good job big boys.

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2008, 01:51 AM
Right now I really hope Weber wins out and ensures themselves a home game, which I figure would "probably" get them a date with Cal Poly, giving the Griz a game with the Southland.

edit: This is of course assuming that if all three teams win out, it will be Weber and not CP that gets the seed.

NoCoDanny
November 2nd, 2008, 01:59 AM
We were terrible today, it wasn't as close as the score might indicate. The TD we did get was a gift otherwise we were totally inept. I think we only have like 10 plays in the playbook our playcalling is like the old Tecmo Bowl 2 runs and 2 passes. And one run is the reverse we run 4 times a game and that get's stuffed for a 10 yard loss every time. :(

We're going 1-10, book it, the team has given up on the coaching staff. xnodx

placidlakegriz
November 2nd, 2008, 07:40 AM
We were terrible today, it wasn't as close as the score might indicate. The TD we did get was a gift otherwise we were totally inept. I think we only have like 10 plays in the playbook our playcalling is like the old Tecmo Bowl 2 runs and 2 passes. And one run is the reverse we run 4 times a game and that get's stuffed for a 10 yard loss every time. :(

We're going 1-10, book it, the team has given up on the coaching staff. xnodx

Joe Glenn looks like he might be availible later this year, maybe you can hire him back.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 11:00 AM
They showed a replay on the video board from ground level. Ball went out of bounds within reach of Phillips.

People in our area, me included, were wondering if the call would be pass interference or holding.

Plus, you can only wave off PI if when the infraction occurred, the official knows it's uncatchable. You can't retroactively wave it off. The PI happened when Higgins had just released the ball, so you have to call it.

Holding or contact would have made more sense than PI. Either way, it still would have resulted in a first down. It did not make the difference in the game. We were still too far down at that point.

Also interesting about the penalty is that McBride mentioned it as "crucial" and Glanville just glossed over it.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 11:15 AM

No one can say that the Grizz lack depth.xnodx

placidlakegriz
November 2nd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Right now I really hope Weber wins out and ensures themselves a home game, which I figure would "probably" get them a date with Cal Poly, giving the Griz a game with the Southland.

edit: This is of course assuming that if all three teams win out, it will be Weber and not CP that gets the seed.

I am hoping for a cal ploy and weber loss, for the stars to align and for us to be one of the four seeded teams.

griz&beer
November 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
The Griz should be ahead of Polly win or not.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 11:35 AM
I am hoping for a cal ploy and weber loss, for the stars to align and for us to be one of the four seeded teams.

Eastern Washington is a 20 point underdog to Weber State on the road. UC Davis has slightly better chances, at only a 15 point disadvantage to Cal Poly. That's a lot of stars to line up. xeyebrowx

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 11:36 AM

Weber will need some help to get that CP game in Ogden. Unless they get a seed, CP might/will outbid them for the right to host. Great season for the Wildcats and yet they might find themselves on the road first round. Still, I'd like the chances of Weber going to CP than App State or Northern Iowa.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
Weber will need some help to get that CP game in Ogden. Unless they get a seed, CP might/will outbid them for the right to host. Great season for the Wildcats and yet they might find themselves on the road first round. Still, I'd like the chances of Weber going to CP than App State or Northern Iowa.

Perhaps. Cal Poly's attendance is about a third higher than Weber's and the weather is nicer, but the logistics of getting fans to Ogden are much easier, the potential attendance is higher, the stadium capacity is double, and potential corporate and advertising interest is probably greater in the Salt Lake City metroplex than in San Luis Obispo. xcoffeex

Concur that Weber's best shot in round one is probably Cal Poly compared to Appalachian State - with virtually even odds when factoring in SLO home field advantage. I am sure the UNI dome is raucous, but UNI has not been blowing people out at home, and the odds would still favor Weber by nearly a touchdown. xcoolx

Texas State at home would be even better! Yeah, baby! xthumbsupx

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Perhaps. Cal Poly's attendance is about a third higher than Weber's and the weather is nicer, but the logistics of getting fans to Ogden are much easier, the potential attendance is higher, the stadium capacity is double, and potential corporate and advertising interest is probably greater in the Salt Lake City metroplex than in San Luis Obispo. xcoffeex

Concur that Weber's best shot in round one is probably Cal Poly compared to Appalachian State - with virtually even odds when factoring in SLO home field advantage. I am sure the UNI dome is raucous, but UNI has not been blowing people out at home, and the odds would still favor Weber by nearly a touchdown. xcoolx

Texas State at home would be even better! Yeah, baby! xthumbsupx

Money talks and, if you don't have a seed (FCS only seeds the top 4), it is open to the highest bidder. Most of the time the committee deals with true numbers and not speculation. Few years back, we had the auto-bid and, instead of playing at home (with our 30,000 seat stadium in a metro downtown area and Nike HQ 3 miles away), we got shipped out to Delaware.