PDA

View Full Version : We got embarrassed

woffordgrad94
October 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
First of all, I don't want to hear any ***** about ASU running up the score. The bottom line is that we sucked tonight and deserved to get blown out like we did. It was like we weren't even trying to play defense out there at times. I know what Elon must have felt like a week ago. It sure hurts to be on this end of the ledger. For some reason we just seemed unprepared. I don't know what happened. It's so unlike a Mike Ayers-coached team to be so badly outplayed. I know this is so cliched, but we just have to put this one behind us. We have three more games to go, and now we have to win them all to get into the playoffs and perhaps get a chance to redeem ourselves against ASU. I know most of you ASU fans know we are capable of much better than what we showed tonight. And yes, it is more than just a little embarrassing for our school, our team, and our fans to play like we did on ESPN2 with people across the whole country watching. But it's over now. There's nothing we can do now but learn from it. I stayed untill the bitter end and I will always support Wofford and be proud to be a Terrier. ASU is a great program, and the Mountaineers should be very proud of what they have in Boone. Aside from the game, Boone is a great town with great people. I am now going to hit a bar or two and forget about this game! xsmiley_wix :p

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:51 PM
I think we need to (see sig.)

appstate38
October 31st, 2008, 10:55 PM
Did it surprise any of you T-Dogs to see the offense not line up in your traditional wing bone. It seemed you were able to run the ball quite well no matter what formation you were in. The first int. seemed to let the air out of your sails.

DLS
October 31st, 2008, 10:56 PM
turnovers had a lot to do with it

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:56 PM
Did it surprise any of you T-Dogs to see the offense not line up in your traditional wing bone. It seemed you were able to run the ball quite well no matter what formation you were in. The first int. seemed to let the air out of your sails.

we don't run nearly as much wing bone as people think. we run the spread like everyone else but use wingbone fundamentals.

beauvighn
October 31st, 2008, 10:59 PM
Congrats to App. You guys beat us every way we could be beaten. Ae is a special athlete and your team was a machine tonight. No excueses here. We just have to get better. Good luck the rest of the season

appstate1998
October 31st, 2008, 11:00 PM
I see no reason why Wofford won't win out there last three games and easily make the playoffs. Losing to South Carolina and only FCS loss to App should even keep you on this coast for the playoffs imo

HiHiYikas
October 31st, 2008, 11:00 PM
Good, decent, reasonable, refreshing words, woffordgrad (except perhaps for the thread title). If I could hit you with rep points twice I would.

alexale23
October 31st, 2008, 11:01 PM
......YEH YOU DID

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:02 PM
First of all, I don't want to hear any ***** about ASU running up the score. The bottom line is that we sucked tonight and deserved to get blown out like we did. It was like we weren't even trying to play defense out there at times. I know what Elon must have felt like a week ago. It sure hurts to be on this end of the ledger. For some reason we just seemed unprepared. I don't know what happened. It's so unlike a Mike Ayers-coached team to be so badly outplayed. I know this is so cliched, but we just have to put this one behind us. We have three more games to go, and now we have to win them all to get into the playoffs and perhaps get a chance to redeem ourselves against ASU. I know most of you ASU fans know we are capable of much better than what we showed tonight. And yes, it is more than just a little embarrassing for our school, our team, and our fans to play like we did on ESPN2 with people across the whole country watching. But it's over now. There's nothing we can do now but learn from it. I stayed untill the bitter end and I will always support Wofford and be proud to be a Terrier. ASU is a great program, and the Mountaineers should be very proud of what they have in Boone. Aside from the game, Boone is a great town with great people. I am now going to hit a bar or two and forget about this game! xsmiley_wix :p

If I was there, I'd have to buy you a beer or twelve.

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 11:03 PM
Yeah, you got embarrassed. App St kicked your butt. Yeah, they ran up the score too but in the end, don't get too discouraged. ASU beats a lot of teams at the Rock. ASU is a team to be reckoned with and Wofford is too. Playoffs are a few weeks away and a SOCON championship is still up for grabs.

ERASU2113
October 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
I just got back from the game and I have to say I was surprised. I along with alot of people I know thought it would be a Wofford win or a close ASU win...

The turnovers were the difference. That was a different Appalachian St. team than I've seen this year. That wasn't the team that played Furman or pulled off a miracle against GSU.

Regardless....from watching Wofford play. You guys definitely should be in the playoffs. Tonight was just a bump in the road.

Woffordgrad if I knew where you were....I would have found you - taken you down to Parthenon or somewhere and bought a pitcher. Terrier fans are top notch.

ASUG8
October 31st, 2008, 11:09 PM
I was hangin' with Wofford grads and one Cit grad you know tonight. The first quarter set what I thought was the shootout I expected, but the turnovers killed WC. WoCo is a great team as evidenced by the win against Elon last week - tonight, AE found his groove and put up a lot of yards. Also, the misdirection that confounded us so badly last year in our loss to WoCo seemed to be negated somewhat this year. I hoped for a closer game ( and I don't think the score was a run up) but WoCo seemed that they were not ready defensively tonight. I'm happy for the win, but not by the margin. WoCo is better than this and will do well in the playoffs.xthumbsupx

thmst30
October 31st, 2008, 11:15 PM
This is how a REAL fan reacts to a game like tonight's. Rep added.xthumbsupx

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 11:17 PM
This is how a REAL fan reacts to a game like tonight's. Rep added.xthumbsupxThanks! xthumbsupx

Appguy
October 31st, 2008, 11:21 PM
Theyre talkn about us still on the LSU board
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=10504800

mostly positive

i like this one line about the fcs
"I was just wondering how ****ty #4 must be?"

GOKATS
October 31st, 2008, 11:22 PM

Good post by a good fan.xnodx ***** happens! Wofford will do just fine.

thmst30
October 31st, 2008, 11:29 PM
Thanks! xthumbsupx

xlolx Yea right.xanim_chaix

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 11:33 PM
xlolx Yea rightSir, you need to stop imbibing and relax. Your posting is quite over the top for the discussion board here. Try your local team board. xnodx xpeacex

Grizo406
October 31st, 2008, 11:35 PM
The score was embarrassing, but this Griz fan has YET to see anything else associated with Wofford, and their football program that is remotely close to that word!!!xwhistlex

thmst30
October 31st, 2008, 11:40 PM
Sir, you need to stop imbibing and relax. Your posting is quite over the top for the discussion board here. Try your local team board. xnodx xpeacex

What the hell are you talking about. Its ok for you to hate on all the App fans constantly, but can't take a little of it yourself. xnonox Plus yea, my posts in here are WAY over the top. Wow.xbawlingx

blueballs
November 1st, 2008, 06:56 AM
You could see this coming a mile away... Wofford shot their wad last week at Elon and the combination of their being flat and App being on fire produced a blowout.

However, Wofford can take solace in knowing it is only one loss, and a one point loss is no more damaging than a 46 point loss. After your defeat last night you have just became Elon fans.

Bad losses don't doom a team in FCS the way they do in the BCS. Case in point: In 2000 GSU rolled into Furman for Furman's homecoming as defending champions with their only loss being a season opening loss at Georgia, who was ranked in the top 10 in BCS.

After playing to a 10-7 stalemate in the first half Furman destroyed GSU in the second half and the final was 45-10. Louis Ivory set an all time single game rushing record and MOL won the Payton award with that game.

GSU picked up the pieces from that point and went on to run the table and win their second consecutive national title.

You can't change the past, all you can do is learn from it and do better in the future. Wofford's season is far from over... they aren't as bad a team as last night would indicate and all their goals are still attainable.

AppHokie
November 1st, 2008, 07:30 AM
Sir, you need to stop imbibing and relax. Your posting is quite over the top for the discussion board here. Try your local team board. xnodx xpeacex

DISGUSTING, App throwing home run balls and going for it repeatedly on fourth down even when they lead by over 40.... shame

I have seen you in all of the App boards posting on the score and the way App handled the game, you even created a thread on it! Do you watch football or just moderate threads? It has been apparent you are not happy with the outcome of the game and I believe you should not be taking it out on others here (see above:the posting was not "over the top"). Move on Syntax.

[As a note: I assume with this post I will probably be on "probabtion" in AGS now]

CID1990
November 1st, 2008, 08:30 AM

Don't worry. Your defense will get a confidence builder next week.

CID1990
November 1st, 2008, 08:31 AM
DISGUSTING, App throwing home run balls and going for it repeatedly on fourth down even when they lead by over 40.... shame

I have seen you in all of the App boards posting on the score and the way App handled the game, you even created a thread on it! Do you watch football or just moderate threads? It has been apparent you are not happy with the outcome of the game and I believe you should not be taking it out on others here (see above:the posting was not "over the top"). Move on Syntax.

[As a note: I assume with this post I will probably be on "probabtion" in AGS now]

Don't feed the attention whore.

NC Aggie
November 1st, 2008, 09:10 AM
I see no reason why Wofford won't win out there last three games and easily make the playoffs. Losing to South Carolina and only FCS loss to App should even keep you on this coast for the playoffs imo

Wofford got exposed last night...bound to one style of football and just don't have the speed athletes to compete at the top. I don't think they deserve the playoffs. When you give up 60 points......let someone else have a crack.

South Carolina Duke
November 1st, 2008, 09:24 AM

What defense????

Yosef84
November 1st, 2008, 09:36 AM

Wofford is a good team. They have a potent offense. Last night the INT's obviously offset a ton of running. The Wofford/Furman game will be a good one this year. It will be interesting to see how Furman's new D matches up with Wofford. Also, can Wofford figure out how to stop a QB who can throw? I give the edge to Wofford, but it's far from a given.

Yosef84
November 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
Honestly, I don't think Wofford should be embarrassed. 500 yards of offense means that this game could easily have played out very differently. If the turnovers (uncharacteristic for Wofford) had gone the other way, who knows?

One poster said that Wofford doesn't deserve the playoffs because of this. Sorry NC A&T fan, but that's just rediculous. One game does NOT a season make. Wofford can play with anyone in the FCS.

Hold your head up, Terriers. This too shall pass.

BarefootApp
November 1st, 2008, 10:00 AM
grad94: class act. I hope Wofford wins out.

Grizzaholic
November 1st, 2008, 10:02 AM

I yelled at my TV all night. Wofford could run the ball all day long and went away from it. Wofford was gaining yards hand over fist and just went away from it. I know they were down but if they would have just stuck to the run game you could have controlled a little bit of clock while giving your D a rest.

Hats off to App St.

AppGrad06
November 1st, 2008, 10:23 AM
I yelled at my TV all night. Wofford could run the ball all day long and went away from it. Wofford was gaining yards hand over fist and just went away from it. I know they were down but if they would have just stuck to the run game you could have controlled a little bit of clock while giving your D a rest.

Hats off to App St.

Yea I was surprised they kept going to the passing game as well. I guess they felt to catch up the were going to have put points up faster than their run game would allow (hard to imagine, I know). they may also have been trying to give their RBs a break as they were working hard raking up almost 400 yards rushing, unfortunately they weren't rewarded with the point for their effort.

Never would I have thought Wofford could drop 397 RUSHING yards on us and App come away with a W much less a rout.

woffordgrad94
November 1st, 2008, 01:07 PM
......YEH YOU DID

Bite my a$$. No one likes you.

woffordgrad94
November 1st, 2008, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the kind words from ASU fans. You guys are a class act. You know, when we got blown out at GSU a few years back like 58-10 or something, their fans heckled and taunted us. I'm not saying that all GSU fans are classless jerks, a few of them said "don't pay them any attention" to me and seemed to be classy folks. But on the whole, ASU was a MUCH better experience for me personally than GSU was. People told me to keep my head up, and that after tonight, they hoped we won every game. Very good folks; a few rowdy, and I suspect drunk students were classless, but that is to be expected- those are everywhere. We decided to, as was suggested on this board, check out The Library. I had a good time. The bartenders are nice and don't mind talking. In fact, I left a BIG tip! (with money, I know what some might be thinking)

As for the game, maybe we were just due a bad one. We had been so good about not turning the ball over before, but last night was a different story. You have to give the ASU defense some credit. I just hope we got the turnovers out of our system and can come back next Saturday and take care of those Cadets at home.

mistersykes
November 1st, 2008, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the kind words from ASU fans. You guys are a class act. You know, when we got blown out at GSU a few years back like 58-10 or something, their fans heckled and taunted us. I'm not saying that all GSU fans are classless jerks, a few of them said "don't pay them any attention" to me and seemed to be classy folks. But on the whole, ASU was a MUCH better experience for me personally than GSU was. People told me to keep my head up, and that after tonight, they hoped we won every game. Very good folks; a few rowdy, and I suspect drunk students were classless, but that is to be expected- those are everywhere. We decided to, as was suggested on this board, check out The Library. I had a good time. The bartenders are nice and don't mind talking. In fact, I left a BIG tip! (with money, I know what some might be thinking)

As for the game, maybe we were just due a bad one. We had been so good about not turning the ball over before, but last night was a different story. You have to give the ASU defense some credit. I just hope we got the turnovers out of our system and can come back next Saturday and take care of those Cadets at home.

grad94, thanks for the kind words. I apologize for any classless fans - I'm a student and I respect the opponent and their fans whether I've had a few drinks or not. That won't stop me from cheering my head off though! :D I too hope you win out, and as everyone has been saying, "One game does not a season make". Good luck and make it back to Boone someday - maybe later this year (?).xnodx

Chi Panther
November 1st, 2008, 02:41 PM
VERY EMBARRASSED!!!!!xoopsx

Woof
November 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM

Truer words were never spoken! xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx It seemed like our O coordinator and Widmeyer panicked when we got down 2 scores. We proved we can score quickly even when we run the ball xconfusedx ...but I think we got caught up in playing fast-break football and let App dictate the pace of the game when we should have been slowing things down, playing ball control and keeping Edwards off the field.xbangx xbangx xbangx

Hats off to the Appy's we ran into a xanim_chaix tonight. Perfect storms happen. They were firing on all cylinders and we played our worst game by far. Not sure any FCS team would have beat them last night. Here's hoping MA and the boys from Sparklecity get another crack at you this year. xpeacex

appfan2008
November 1st, 2008, 03:53 PM
great game from our perspective... I know it sure has been talked about plenty but why not run more??? wofford could do whatever they wanted with EB up the middle... I dont know why they ever got away from that...

R.A.
November 1st, 2008, 04:23 PM

It's all about how Wofford bounces back. 70-24... this is a test of character for Wofford. They have to push the Appy State loss out of their minds and play hard nose football down the stretch.

NC Aggie
November 1st, 2008, 04:57 PM
Honestly, I don't think Wofford should be embarrassed. 500 yards of offense means that this game could easily have played out very differently. If the turnovers (uncharacteristic for Wofford) had gone the other way, who knows?

One poster said that Wofford doesn't deserve the playoffs because of this. Sorry NC A&T fan, but that's just rediculous. One game does NOT a season make. Wofford can play with anyone in the FCS.

Hold your head up, Terriers. This too shall pass.

70 points? Sorry, I think the score means something. And by the way, I am not an A&T fan.

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM
Appalachian isn't 46 point better than Wofford. I believe you guys will win out and make some noise in the playoffs.

R.A.
November 1st, 2008, 05:27 PM
I tell you what... if the MEAC's playoff squad happens to be SCSU, I rather them play Furman than Wofford.

purplepeopleeaterv2
November 1st, 2008, 05:44 PM
Appalachian isn't 46 point better than Wofford. I believe you guys will win out and make some noise in the playoffs.

I agree with him. Tough loss but those type of games happen. See USC and their past 2 seasons. Doesn't mean they are not a good team.

matfu
November 1st, 2008, 05:55 PM
I am just glad to know a mike ayers team is normal and can have a bad game! Wofford absolutely can beat app state if they play again in the playoffs, even in boone. Mark my word. It could happen!

ASU Tailgaiteer
November 1st, 2008, 07:01 PM
The first 8 minutes of the ballgame were incredible!

This could have been a totally different game if Wofford had gone ahead 28-14 and then really focused on the run game.

We sat behind Eric Breitenstein's parents last night. His pop was raising he!! in the ASU section. We talked some smack to him at first, then realized who he was. (Eric played high school ball at Watauga High in Boone)

It was pretty cool to see a proud pop pull for his son and the Terriers despite the crowd and despite the score. Eric (and the Wofford rushing attack) was pretty special last night (except for the fumbles) and it was cool to see his son have a breakout game on National TV last night. We were almost rooting for an Eric TD once the game was decided.

I was at Wofford last year for the loss, and must say that as long as the Terriers can establish the run, they can beat anyone in 1-AA (I refuse to use FCS!)!

HiHiYikas
November 1st, 2008, 07:44 PM
The first 8 minutes of the ballgame were incredible!

This could have been a totally different game if Wofford had gone ahead 28-14 and then really focused on the run game.

We sat behind Eric Breitenstein's parents last night. His pop was raising he!! in the ASU section. We talked some smack to him at first, then realized who he was. (Eric played high school ball at Watauga High in Boone)

It was pretty cool to see a proud pop pull for his son and the Terriers despite the crowd and despite the score. Eric (and the Wofford rushing attack) was pretty special last night (except for the fumbles) and it was cool to see his son have a breakout game on National TV last night. We were almost rooting for an Eric TD once the game was decided.

I was at Wofford last year for the loss, and must say that as long as the Terriers can establish the run, they can beat anyone in 1-AA (I refuse to use FCS!)!
Oh you arrogant &%*!%...so typical of us ASU fans.

Seriously, though...

I couldn't make the game, but my dad was there and got to see Eric's mom and dad. He's been delivering to them since before Eric was born, and, like most of the Mountaineer-crazy high-country, is proud to see a local product doing well at the college level (even if it's at a conference rival).

18 runs for 157 yards - I only wish he'd gotten into the end zone at some point.

Appstate29
November 1st, 2008, 07:49 PM
Nothing to be embarassed about for Wofford, you guys played a less than perfect game against an ASU squad literally firing on all cylinders. I would much rather face UM or Weber St. in the playoffs than a ticked off Wofford team looking for revenge. BTW if you are a Wofford fan and drive a black Chrysler 300M or whatever the model is from Texas with a Wofford sticker and a Wofford License plate cover, I was behind you most of way down the mountain today, wanted to say thanks for coming up, but after we got down the mountain, your car was faster than mine! xbowx

rudy1648
November 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
The interception absolutely turned things around. It was just a matter of ASU getting that extra touchdown lead, and Wofford could just not catch up. They had to go away from their strength and that cost them. I was scared to death that Wofford would use that powerful ground game and just drive the ball on us all night long. It was not like they were totally dominated by our defence. They moved the ball on our D. It was the turnovers that killed them. What,,,two interceptions inside our 20? A completed pass here and there and they are in the game the whole time. I know the score looks like a total domination and maybe running up the score,,,but look at Wofford's total yards. My God,,,,Breitenstein had about 150 yards rushing!!! It was a great game,,,an exciting game,,,and I think ASU is just now beginning to come together as a team. At the first of the year, we were in the process of putting in a bunch of new players. Replacing 2 defensive ends,,replacing a starting running back,,,getting new receivers and quarterback clicking. Last night,,it just all came together. It was like "The Perfect Storm" and Wofford just got caught in it.