PDA

View Full Version : SoCon way overrated?

Ronbo
October 31st, 2008, 10:11 PM
I didn't see the number 3 team in the nation tonight. Except for App. State that Conference is WAY overrated. xrolleyesx

LehighFan11
October 31st, 2008, 10:12 PM
Maybe App is just that good.

millwoga1
October 31st, 2008, 10:16 PM
I didn't see the number 3 team in the nation tonight. Except for App. State that Conference is WAY overrated. xrolleyesx

I think we just want that easy first round game to Montana

Ronbo
October 31st, 2008, 10:17 PM
That Wofford team isn't as good as the one last year by a long shot. Last year's Wofford team would kick this year's Wofford team's butt.xnodx

PantherRob82
October 31st, 2008, 10:18 PM
I wondered where Wofford and Elon sit in the national picture as well.

millwoga1
October 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
That Wofford team isn't as good as the one last year by a long shot. Last year's Wofford team would kick this year's Wofford team's butt.xnodx

I can see why you would say that but I think they are at least as good as last year. Serioulsly, I know many would laugh after how they looked tonight but they could be better than last years team that made the second round.

LarryBoy
October 31st, 2008, 10:21 PM
This same App team needed Furman turnovers to barely get by at home last week. Tonight, Wofford just had a bad night and App had a good night.

Though I'm certainly liking our chances in Spartanburg now.xnodx

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2008, 10:22 PM
I don't think they're "WAY" overrated, but Wofford and Elon definitely had no business being in the top 5. I won't say I'll drop Wofford out of my top 10, but they won't be in my top 5.

Wofford is still a dangerous team. They're not out of it, yet.

I think we just want that easy first round game to MontanaI hope you get your wish. This Montana team is playing better than last year's ever did, and I know I'm looking for a rematch.

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 31st, 2008, 10:23 PM
If the SoCon was way overrated and was a one-team league you'd think App. would go through the SoCon schedule like a hot knife through butter, but of course that has not been the case. xrolleyesx

Let's give App. a chance to play Elon before we pass judgements. And for that matter let's see what Wofford does versus Furman, The Citadel, and Samford before we pass any judgements on them.

eaglewraith
October 31st, 2008, 10:27 PM
Man up and travel to Statesboro....we'll see who's overrated then.

millwoga1
October 31st, 2008, 10:28 PM

Hypothetically reverse the score and all would be saying the SOCOn is deeper than expected. You can't erase the rest of the year

KiddBrewer
October 31st, 2008, 10:28 PM
This same App team needed Furman turnovers to barely get by at home last week. Tonight, Wofford just had a bad night and App had a good night.

so it was a fluke, if i follow you correctly?

KiddBrewer
October 31st, 2008, 10:29 PM
Hypothetically reverse the score and all would be saying the SOCOn is deeper than expected. You can't erase the rest of the year

smartest thing ive heard said in a while.xthumbsupx

appstate38
October 31st, 2008, 10:30 PM
This same App team FORCED Furman turnovers to barely get by at home last week. Tonight, Wofford just had a bad night and App had a good night.

Fixed it for you

Still can't let it go.... You had to option of not letting us force those turnovers, which the last time I checked are a part of the game.

Reign of Terrier
October 31st, 2008, 10:36 PM
I would have to say so. 4 teams uneligible for playoffs. at least one more to follow. plus two upper echilon teams get blown out.

I also think App is now the best team in the country now.

ASU88
October 31st, 2008, 10:37 PM
This same App team needed Furman turnovers to barely get by at home last week.

You know ... that was a tight, competitive game most of the way. I was there. But since when is an 11 point win "barely getting by?"

I heard the same from a NAU fan last year after they scored a late TD to close to within 13 points! Called it a nailbiter, he did!

No, I'd say a Hail Mary or a last play punt return to steal a win is barely getting by. Winning by two scores is not.

LarryBoy
October 31st, 2008, 10:37 PM
Fixed it for you

Still can't let it go.... You had to option of not letting us force those turnovers, which the last time I checked are a part of the game.

Sheesh...the point is that the conference is competitive, and that Furman played App tough. I didn't say that App didn't win the game deservedly.

I'm sure we'll all bow down to the Golden Mountaineer at season's end. Happy?

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2008, 10:38 PM
I would have to say so. 4 teams uneligible for playoffs. at least one more to follow. plus two upper echilon teams get blown out.

I also think App is now the best team in the country now.I'd agree, but I don't want to be flooded by fans of an under-performing JMU program all saying how it's impossible, since they beat ASU. xlolx

But you're right. App is playing better than pretty much everyone right now. xnodx

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2008, 10:39 PM
No, I'd say a Hail Mary or a last play punt return to steala win is barely getting by. Winning by two scores is not.xlolxxlolx

I see what you did there. xsmiley_wix

ASU88
October 31st, 2008, 10:42 PM
I'd agree, but I don't want to be flooded by fans of an under-performing JMU program all saying how it's impossible, since they beat ASU.
Hard to argue the truth. They been squeaking by, but they've been winning. And they beat App St, so they should be #1.

But boy, I'd love to see them again in the playoffs. On anyone's field.

ASU88
October 31st, 2008, 10:45 PM
xlolxxlolx

I see what you did there. xsmiley_wix

I don't mean that those are "less of a win" by the way. Good teams need a break here and there, too. And they make their own breaks.

So that wasn't a slight, just helping others understand the distinction between PERCEIVED squeaking by and ACTUAL squeaking by.

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2008, 10:46 PM
Hard to argue the truth. They been squeaking by, but they've been winning. And they beat App St, so they should be #1.

But boy, I'd love to see them again in the playoffs. On anyone's field.Ever since "Just winning" wasn't good enough for Montana last year, I've been hesitant to agree with the mantra.

That said, I don't think JMU is playing like the #1 right now. xpeacex

19Duke97
October 31st, 2008, 10:58 PM
Ever since "Just winning" wasn't good enough for Montana last year, I've been hesitant to agree with the mantra.

The difference is we are "just winning" on the road against top ten (arguable top 5) teams. We have beaten 4 top 10 teams, and App state head to head, what else can JMU do to prove they are worthy of #1? Win big - yeah we've done that too. xrotatehx

appstate38
October 31st, 2008, 11:06 PM
Ever since "Just winning" wasn't good enough for Montana last year, I've been hesitant to agree with the mantra.

The difference is we are "just winning" on the road against top ten (arguable top 5) teams. We have beaten 4 top 10 teams, and App state head to head, what else can JMU do to prove they are worthy of #1? Win big - yeah we've done that too. xrotatehx

I think his point was that since that head-to-head match up it seems that JMU has had more times when they weren't hitting on all cylinders and improving week to week.

appvette
October 31st, 2008, 11:07 PM
I wondered if App would be #1 after this performance, but I still think JMU is #1 for obvious reasons. But, I think it's a toss up that will be settled in December. That's the great thing about this division.

uofmman1122
October 31st, 2008, 11:09 PM
The difference is we are "just winning" on the road against top ten (arguable top 5) teams. We have beaten 4 top 10 teams, and App state head to head, what else can JMU do to prove they are worthy of #1? Win big - yeah we've done that too. xrotatehxI'm not advocating that everyone shouldn't vote for JMU as #1, but after the last two weeks, I just don't see them as #1. It doesn't really matter, either way, though. They'll make the playoffs, and then we'll see. Whining about one person not considering you #1 in the beginning of November is kind of pointless.

I think his point was that since that head-to-head match up it seems that JMU has had more times when they weren't hitting on all cylinders and improving week to week.
Yeah, something like that, and I don't think JMU could beat ASU (again) or Cal Poly at this point, which is why they're not my #1. xpeacex

UNIFanSince1983
October 31st, 2008, 11:10 PM
I don't care who you are scoring 70 points and winning by 46 against the #3 team in the country is absolutely ridiculous!

ERASU2113
October 31st, 2008, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't say the SoCon is overrated at all.

We beat GSU by 1...should have lost the game.
Furman plays us tough every year....most of the time.
Tonight...well you saw.

ASU may be good, but we no one can crown them champs after this week. No one is allowed the title.

The factor of the matter is: It's any given Saturday (or Friday?)

beauvighn
October 31st, 2008, 11:23 PM
The SoCon is not over rated. App St. just decided to open an extra large can of whip ass on my Terrierrs tonight. I contend that not many teams in the FCS could have withstood the onslaught of speed and talent that was exhibited by App. St. tonight. They played a level of football tonight I am not accustomed to.

ASU88
October 31st, 2008, 11:29 PM
The SoCon is not over rated. App St. just decided to open an extra large can of whip ass on my Terrierrs tonight. I contend that not many teams in the FCS could have withstood the onslaught of speed and talent that was exhibited by App. St. tonight. They played a level of football tonight I am not accustomed to.

By far their best performance of the year. Can't expect that every week. I think they were just really up tonight considering:

- match up for lead in SoCon
- against Wofford ... revenge
- ESPN2. National audience

Maroons
October 31st, 2008, 11:37 PM
Sheesh... it's just one game. Wouldn't we all agree that anything can happen in a given game? Then we can't go making sweeping generalizations about the SoCon from one game.

I'd just like to thank god for the playoff system that exists in the FCS so this garbage can be settled on the field rather than on the ballot (or in the computer) as it is in the FBS.

JMU99
November 1st, 2008, 12:05 AM
I'm not advocating that everyone shouldn't vote for JMU as #1, but after the last two weeks, I just don't see them as #1.
You are so right, we played horrible in our bye two weeks ago.
xlolx

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 AM
Any team with Armanti at QB is the team to beat in the tournament AND by default makes the conference one of the best. Wofford can certainly move the ball and, like all others, simply doesn't have a way to stop ASU's offense -- especially when the latter knows that it (they) can show off on national TV...

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 12:11 AM
You are so right, we played horrible in our bye two weeks ago.
xlolxxrolleyesx

Fine, three weeks. Certainly doesn't make it any better. :p

JMU99
November 1st, 2008, 12:21 AM
xrolleyesx

Fine, three weeks. Certainly doesn't make it any better. :p

Again, you are so right, back to back wins on the road against LEGITIMATE top 10 teams is so embarassing!

BDKJMU
November 1st, 2008, 12:22 AM
Mickey Matthews was right...xsmiley_wix

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 12:28 AM
Again, you are so right, back to back wins on the road against LEGITIMATE top 10 teams is so embarassing!Kudos.

I still think JMU would lose to Cal Poly or ASU (again), based on all three teams's performances over the last few weeks. Thus, I didn't vote them #1. xpeacex

GreatAppSt
November 1st, 2008, 12:29 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmhx

19Duke97
November 1st, 2008, 12:32 AM
Kudos.

I still think JMU would lose to Cal Poly or ASU (again), based on all three teams's performances over the last few weeks. Thus, I didn't vote them #1. xpeacex

Well thank god we have a playoff so whoever votes for #1 really natter very little, but yeah ASU looked really good tonight, unfor, its October, not December, kinda like JMU's 56-0 win over Hofstra.

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 12:36 AM
Well thank god we have a playoff so whoever votes for #1 really natter very little, but yeah ASU looked really good tonight, unfor, its October, not December, kinda like JMU's 56-0 win over Hofstra.Actually, it's November right now. At least where I am. :p

Since I'm in November and others might still be in October, does that make my opinion matter more? xlolxxsmiley_wix

mlbowl
November 1st, 2008, 12:38 AM
Yup...It's hillarious bashing the Big Sky but....oh no....you better not say a word about the CAA or the SoConxrolleyesx ...never mind...I remember...Weber St. that gave Utah a good game SUXxrolleyesx

GGASU
November 1st, 2008, 12:42 AM
On national tv...App would have beaten anyone in the FCS that badly tonight.

You do not want to play the Mountaineers at home....for God's sake not at night!!

uofmman1122
November 1st, 2008, 12:45 AM
On national tv...App would have beaten anyone in the FCS that badly tonight.

You do not want to play the Mountaineers at home....for God's sake not at night!!Man, that kool aid sure is doing the trick. xlolx
xhomerx

GGASU
November 1st, 2008, 12:54 AM
Man, that kool aid sure is doing the trick. xlolx
xhomerx

ASU night home games in last 15 years: just off memory...

ASU 24 14 Marshall (marshall ranked #1 1994)

ASU 55-35 Richmond (2007 semi-finals)

ASU 70-24 Wofford (2008 Wofford ranked #3)

See you guys in Chatt......no one is beating App in Boone

has ASU ever lost at night at home or neutral?.....all three title games at night....and Pres. earlier this year.

SeattleGriz
November 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM

A little attitude deserves it in return.

Tell you what Chief, you make the playoffs for the first time in three years this year, and we shall see.

eaglewraith
November 1st, 2008, 01:03 AM
A little attitude deserves it in return.

Tell you what Chief, you make the playoffs for the first time in three years this year, and we shall see.

Tell some people in our conference to lose more :p

OldSouth
November 1st, 2008, 01:27 AM
JMU has won some close games and deserve respect for never quitting, especially 15 pts in what :57 seconds on Richmond, however you are three plays away from a 4-4 season. Both conferences can trade barbs, but the only reason y'all got that many teams in the playoffs is that you have 12 teams. SoCon only has eight teams. Can't wait to play again, in Boone.

19Duke97
November 1st, 2008, 01:51 AM
JMU has won some close games and deserve respect for never quitting, especially 15 pts in what :57 seconds on Richmond, however you are three plays away from a 4-4 season. Both conferences can trade barbs, but the only reason y'all got that many teams in the playoffs is that you have 12 teams. SoCon only has eight teams. Can't wait to play again, in Boone.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Fact is, we are 7-1, not 4-4. I think if we meet again this year it will be in Chatty, anything les would be a travesty to either team given current circumstances. And yeah, we look forward to a rubber match as well if it comes to that. To be the best, you have to beat the best - especially in the National Championship game. Good luck to you all the rest of the season (unless against us) xsmiley_wix

th0m
November 1st, 2008, 02:57 AM

This has been reiterated so many times, but because you're new I'll try again.

ASU - wasn't that close in the end. Certainly not won on a 'last' play.
Richmond - it was a TIE when McGee ran the punt back, not a losing game
Villanova - the only one that could go either way.

Let me see, one game that we won in the last couple of seconds...Didn't ASU beat GSU in the last couple of seconds?

mountaineer_dax
November 1st, 2008, 02:59 AM
If the SoCon was way overrated and was a one-team league you'd think App. would go through the SoCon schedule like a hot knife through butter, but of course that has not been the case. xrolleyesx

Let's give App. a chance to play Elon before we pass judgements. And for that matter let's see what Wofford does versus Furman, The Citadel, and Samford before we pass any judgements on them.

we still have our easiest games left on our schedule away and Elon is at Kid Brewer...

Cincy App
November 1st, 2008, 03:08 AM
I don't believe the SoCon is overrated. The playoffs should help reflect that again this year. ASU had very tough games against GSU and Furman leading into Wofford. ASU also still better be ready to play its last 3 games - particularly against Elon.

Wofford is still a very good team - just ask Elon. Wofford still accumulated nearly 500 yards of offense in this game. The game got way out of hand due to its "minus 5" in turnovers. ASU was clicking just like against Delaware & Richmond last year - and then add +5 in turnovers in the mix and you see the result.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 05:15 AM
short answer, yes
Appy is head and shoulders above everyone
The CAA is so much better this year it isn't even funny, last year it was closer, this year.. much ado about nothing

Native
November 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM

Wofford was certainly overrated at #3. Not so sure whether SOCON is overrated, but the polls don't seem to be a very good indicator of game performance.

blueballs
November 1st, 2008, 05:47 AM
If over rated means 5 out of the last 10 national titles,
If over rated means a representative in the title game 7 out of the last 10 years,
If over rated means its representatives are the only FCS teams on prime time national TV during the regular season,
If over rated means having the three longest home winning streaks in division history,
If over rated means having the program with the most national titles,
If over rated means having the priogram with the most playoff wins,
If over rated means having the program with the most title game appearances,
If over rated means having the only FCS program ever to defeat a BCS team ranked in the top 5,
If over rated means having the last three NC's and most recent Payton Award winner,

then, yes, the SoCon is over rated.

jus10asu
November 1st, 2008, 07:26 AM

Weak sauce....the socon would smash the big skyxsmiley_wix

Dukie95
November 1st, 2008, 07:29 AM
Those that think JMU hasn't been playing like the #1 team lately are those that don't think UR and Nova are quality opponents.

Those that think the SoCon is overrated feel that there's proof to support that Wofford and Elon have been overrated this season.

Just more of those SoCon/CAA divides that will just have to be settled in December.

furman94
November 1st, 2008, 08:24 AM

Me too...

Besides, it is ANY GIVEN SATURDAY!

appst97
November 1st, 2008, 08:28 AM
Those that think JMU hasn't been playing like the #1 team lately are those that don't think UR and Nova are quality opponents.

Those that think the SoCon is overrated feel that there's proof to support that Wofford and Elon have been overrated this season.

Just more of those SoCon/CAA divides that will just have to be settled in December.

Just like it was settled last December

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2008, 08:34 AM
Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. Fact is, we are 7-1, not 4-4. I think if we meet again this year it will be in Chatty, anything les would be a travesty to either team given current circumstances. And yeah, we look forward to a rubber match as well if it comes to that. To be the best, you have to beat the best - especially in the National Championship game. Good luck to you all the rest of the season (unless against us) xsmiley_wix

Yes, but there is a difference between winning by single digits on fluke last-minute plays and winning big. It's interesting that Wofford does not get the benefit-of-the-doubt when they have been a scoring machine this season (their offense was prolific against App, they just made too many boneheaded mistakes inside the App 30) including putting a number of points on South Carolina comparable with some of their toughest SEC foes.

People need to look at the entire season and stop focusing on one game. App. has hardly had a smooth path to their current undefeated conference record.

bigchocolate
November 1st, 2008, 08:37 AM
If over rated means a representative in the title game 7 out of the last 10 years,
If over rated means its representatives are the only FCS teams on prime time national TV during the regular season,
If over rated means having the three longest home winning streaks in division history,
If over rated means having the only FCS program ever to defeat a BCS team ranked in the top 5,
If over rated means having the last three NC's and most recent Payton Award winner,

This is the 2008 season....great history ....but just do it on the fieldxwhistlex

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2008, 08:38 AM
If over rated means 6 out of the last 10 national titles,.

Fixed it xpeacex

mlbowl
November 1st, 2008, 08:45 AM
People need to look at the entire season and stop focusing on one game. App. has hardly had a smooth path to their current undefeated conference record.

Wow...what a concept....but you forgot to mention that it only applies to the CAA & SoCon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2008, 08:46 AM
short answer, yes
Appy is head and shoulders above everyone
The CAA is so much better this year it isn't even funny, last year it was closer, this year.. much ado about nothing

Might want to double-check App.'s schedule and results so far...only domination wins are versus Wofford and The Citadel xrulesx

CamelCityAppFan
November 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Might want to double-check App.'s schedule and results so far...only domination wins are versus Wofford and The Citadel xrulesx

As much as it pains me to agree with an Eaglet, he's right. Furman and GaSo are two games App could have easily lost. Last night's beat down had to do more with the Woofies not playing to their potential than App playing some kind of miracle space-age football. App finally put together a game where they had things hitting on all cylinders, and they happened to come up against an uncharacteristically flat Wofford team.

GATA
November 1st, 2008, 10:11 AM
I didn't think the SOCON was the best conference in the country anyway and I still don't.

I think the CAA is the deepest conference and the SOCON would be second. The problem is...nobody cares how tough your conference is...win in the playoffs! Until one of these big bad CAA teams can knock off app state when it counts nobody cares.

The only teams app state has lost to in the past 3 years are FBS teams, SOCON teams, and James Madison by one point...

However, the SOCON is far from being a cakewalk conference.

I also wouldn't put too much stock into the fact that App state destroyed Wofford last night...they play their best when they're on a big stage.

If I remember correctly App State basically embarrassed the 3 best teams out of the CAA on their way to the national title last year...they have an explosive team that is capable of going off on people the way they did last night.

appstate38
November 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM
To all those App fans who were asking for 4 quarters of football.... I think you got it. SoCon overrated, not even close. Because if we are then so is the CAA since in the 4 head-to-head games we split them. Bottom line, Wofford is still a very good team, they just ran into a buzz saw. I doubt any team INCLUDING JMU could have stopped the onslaught last night.

mlbowl
November 1st, 2008, 10:34 AM
To all those App fans who were asking for 4 quarters of football.... I think you got it. SoCon overrated, not even close. Because if we are then so is the CAA since in the 4 head-to-head games we split them. Bottom line, Wofford is still a very good team, they just ran into a buzz saw. I doubt any team INCLUDING JMU could have stopped the onslaught last night.

I would agree with all of that...Also, I knew when Wofford got down a couple scores they were in some trouble. Come from behind is not their style.

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 10:36 AM
I would agree with all of that...Also, I knew when Wofford got down a couple scores they were in some trouble. Come from behind is not their style.

Exactly what I kept saying throughout the game. By the same token, you don't want to let the Terriers take a 2 score lead on you (see- Elon). Then they just run it down your throats all night.

SideLine Shooter
November 1st, 2008, 10:38 AM

then, yes, the SoCon is over rated.xoutofrepx

mlbowl
November 1st, 2008, 10:39 AM
By the same token, you don't want to let the Terriers take a 2 score lead on you (see- Elon). Then they just run it down your throats all night.

Yupxnodx

Hellgate60
November 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM

Take App State out of the conference and how many of those statements can you say? My point is that the Big Sky gets a lot of grief for only Montana doing well yet the socon gets praised for App State doing well

asucrutch23
November 1st, 2008, 11:04 AM
Take App State out of the conference and how many of those statements can you say? My point is that the Big Sky gets a lot of grief for only Montana doing well yet the socon gets praised for App State doing well

Taking out App's accolades:

2 of the last 7 national titles
Title representative 4 of the last 7 years
Two longest home winning streaks in division history
Still has the program with the most national titles
Still has the program with the most playoff wins
Still has the program with the most title game appearances
Still has the most recent Payton Award winner

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

PaladinFan
November 1st, 2008, 11:12 AM
I agree. If you want to call the conference overrated, keep our schools from playing in the national title game.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM
Just like it was settled last December

The CAA proved it was the superior conference.. Appy proved they were the best team.. there is a difference
for example.. say Memphis won a national title last year in hoops, does that mean that the Conference USA is the best?
absolutely not

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 1st, 2008, 11:26 AM

Granted, but the SoCon has produced 4 of the best 5 dynasties (and arguably 4 of the 5 only dynasties) in the FCS.

appirishmen
November 1st, 2008, 11:38 AM
no the socon is not over rated. the CAA is over rated. Well, the div. that JMU is in is. they dont play anyone. o well. they are still a good team. i think our team finally showed up for a whole game. i think we have been saving our whole package for these last two hard games.

Hoyadestroya85
November 1st, 2008, 11:42 AM
no the socon is not over rated. the CAA is over rated. Well, the div. that JMU is in is. they dont play anyone. o well. they are still a good team. i think our team finally showed up for a whole game. i think we have been saving our whole package for these last two hard games.

your logic has holes in it about as big as the holes in wofford's coverage last night

mainejeff
November 1st, 2008, 12:09 PM

Agreed.

smallcollegefbfan
November 1st, 2008, 12:12 PM

One thing to remember is that this was a revenge game and App had circled this game last year. If you noticed they have several young players like LeGree, Quick, etc. who have been playing very well the last couple weeks and have certainly caught their groove and contributed to the whipping. I still think Wofford is a top 5 team and I do believe that Furman and GSU are top 25 caliber. The SoCon will get 3 teams in the playoffs as long as nobody lays an egg among ASU, Wofford, and Elon and I would not be surprised if 2 of the 3 were playing in the Semis against someone from the CAA and another CAA team or Weber State.

ASUG8
November 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM

Agreed - I don't think anybody in FCS could have stayed within 3 scores of App last night. It's amazing to me that the defenses have keyed on AE'Last night s running game, and he's turned into a smart, incredibly accurate, efficient passer when the run won't happen. We have a good shot at running the table now, although I'm not ruling any of our future opponents out. Elon will be tough, but at least we have home field on that one. I'm pretty confident about UTC and Western, but GSU learned about letting your guard down on a lesser ranked team last year. Last night was exceptional, but we have to move on and focus on next week.

FCS Go!
November 1st, 2008, 01:04 PM
Kudos to you Ronbo! They took the bait and ran with it full steam. xsmiley_wix

woffordgrad94
November 1st, 2008, 02:36 PM
Kudos to you Ronbo! They took the bait and ran with it full steam. xsmiley_wix

What bait? xconfusedx

I don't think you can base an opinion of the conference on just one game as some of you seem to be doing. Dr. Keller, professor of Philosophy at Wofford, would call your argument a "fallicious one". ASU's other conference games were closer. ASU was ready to make a statement against the Terriers, and they did so. Wofford played very poorly, had 5 turnovers, and simply did not answer the challenge on defens on this particular night. In summary, ASU brought their A+ game, and Wofford brought their F game. But anyone who thinks it would be an automatic win for any team in any other conference against any SoCon team other than ASU is flawed in his or her thinking. Okay, I just heard the bell. Saturday school is over. Run along now, and have a GREAT day. xlolx xwhistlex

FCS Go!
November 1st, 2008, 11:45 PM
What bait? xconfusedx

I don't think you can base an opinion of the conference on just one game as some of you seem to be doing. Dr. Keller, professor of Philosophy at Wofford, would call your argument a "fallicious one". ASU's other conference games were closer. ASU was ready to make a statement against the Terriers, and they did so. Wofford played very poorly, had 5 turnovers, and simply did not answer the challenge on defens on this particular night. In summary, ASU brought their A+ game, and Wofford brought their F game. But anyone who thinks it would be an automatic win for any team in any other conference against any SoCon team other than ASU is flawed in his or her thinking. Okay, I just heard the bell. Saturday school is over. Run along now, and have a GREAT day. xlolx xwhistlex

Maybe I'm totally wrong about Ronbo on this one but I interpreted his thread/comment as a joke/play on the discussions that happen re: the Big Sky/Montana is overrated and the Big Sky is a one team conf. Any blowout win by the Griz is proof that the BSC is weak and a one team conf. Not true this year? Why is Weber still not a top 10 team?

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 12:00 AM
Montana fans are delusional. This ridiculous crap of Wofford and Elon being overrated is crap. I'm sure almost all Montana posters haven't seen an Elon game all year and that was the first Wofford game. App played really well and Wofford still belongs in the top ten and could probably still handle Montana really well.

Widmyer(Sp?) hadn't thrown an interception until this game and it's like this, "Sometimes when it rains, it pours." In this game and it was raining Touchdown passes from the left arm of Armanti Edwards. As it has been said before, this wasn't the Wofford team of 2008. This game got out of hand because of who knows why but Wofford will bounce back and make a run in the playoffs, and after reading this thread, my preference would be to see them beat Montana again.

Peems
November 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Maybe I'm totally wrong about Ronbo on this one but I interpreted his thread/comment as a joke/play on the discussions that happen re: the Big Sky/Montana is overrated and the Big Sky is a one team conf. Any blowout win by the Griz is proof that the BSC is weak and a one team conf. Not true this year? Why is Weber still not a top 10 team?

Montana fans are delusional. This ridiculous crap of Wofford and Elon being overrated is crap. I'm sure almost all Montana posters haven't seen an Elon game all year and that was the first Wofford game. App played really well and Wofford still belongs in the top ten and could probably still handle Montana really well.

Widmyer(Sp?) hadn't thrown an interception until this game and it's like this, "Sometimes when it rains, it pours." In this game and it was raining Touchdown passes from the left arm of Armanti Edwards. As it has been said before, this wasn't the Wofford team of 2008. This game got out of hand because of who knows why but Wofford will bounce back and make a run in the playoffs, and after reading this thread, my preference would be to see them beat Montana again.

Another one bites!!!!

Silenoz
November 2nd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Some Montana fans are delusional. This ridiculous crap of Wofford and Elon being overrated is crap. I'm sure almost all Montana posters haven't seen an Elon game all year and that was the first Wofford game. App played really well and Wofford still belongs in the top ten and could probably still handle Montana really well.

Widmyer(Sp?) hadn't thrown an interception until this game and it's like this, "Sometimes when it rains, it pours." In this game and it was raining Touchdown passes from the left arm of Armanti Edwards. As it has been said before, this wasn't the Wofford team of 2008. This game got out of hand because of who knows why but Wofford will bounce back and make a run in the playoffs, and after reading this thread, my preference would be to see them beat Montana again.~

BDKJMU
November 2nd, 2008, 01:01 AM
Taking out App's accolades:

2 of the last 7 national titles
Title representative 4 of the last 7 years
Two longest home winning streaks in division history
Still has the program with the most national titles
Still has the program with the most playoff wins
Still has the program with the most title game appearances
Still has the most recent Payton Award winner

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Can't find a darn playoff history now that I-AA.org is no longer up, but last 4 years was UD/Colgate, JMU/Montana ASU/UNI, ASU/UMass, ASU/UD. So So-Con other than ASU has only had a title rep 2 of the last 7 years, and zero of the last 5. Right now the So-Con has a great program in ASU. Take out ASU, the league is still decent (still would better than the other scholly leagues of Southland, OVC, MEAC, SWAC, Big South, Great West + Patriot). Wouldn't be as good as the CAA or MVC, and would be debateable about the Big Sky.

mlbowl
November 2nd, 2008, 01:07 AM
Another one bites!!!!

xlolx xnodx xlolx

Grizaholic17
November 2nd, 2008, 02:18 AM
Maybe App is just that good.

They have a loss, let's not forget.
We know they are destructible.
Wofford was definitely overrated, maybe not the socon as a whole.

Grizaholic17
November 2nd, 2008, 02:21 AM

MUAHAHAHA. I remember when you started posting on here. Homer then, homer now. Hater then, hater now. xpeacex xpeacex

Wofford can make another trip to Montana for all I care, but maybe we'll actually make a field goal to win it with a bad kicker instead of an nfl kicker. :p

Yosef@therock
November 2nd, 2008, 06:01 AM

You make me laugh. If you take the "beat down" of '06 App and Furman is usually decided by 3-6 points with the winning team scoring with a minute to go.

Yosef@therock
November 2nd, 2008, 06:07 AM

The SOCON is the best conference in FCS. Any given Saturday you can have 1 team beat the other. Each victory is earned. When is the last time a Big Sky team won a Nat'l Championship?

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
When is the last time a Big Sky team won a Nat'l Championship?2001

If you think that was a long time ago, you're obviously an App fan. xlolx:p

appstate38
November 2nd, 2008, 06:29 AM

If you think that was a long time ago, you're obviously an App fan. xlolx:p

Just welcome him to AGS and let it go at that!!!! xsmiley_wix

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2008, 06:35 AM
Just welcome him to AGS and let it go at that!!!! xsmiley_wixSorry! Sorry!

Hair trigger. xlolxxsmiley_wix

SideLine Shooter
November 2nd, 2008, 08:28 AM

That's what Mickey says, so it must be true.

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2008, 08:33 AM
Look the SoCon is a very good Conference , always is. But my point is that it appears that Elon and Wofford were extremely overrated at #3 and #4 just a couple weeks ago. That's what made the SoCon overrated. They are probably closer to #8 to #11 teams.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
MUAHAHAHA. I remember when you started posting on here. Homer then, homer now. Hater then, hater now. xpeacex xpeacex

Wofford can make another trip to Montana for all I care, but maybe we'll actually make a field goal to win it with a bad kicker instead of an nfl kicker. :p

No not a homer, just everything about Montana fans saying the SoCon is overrated is a joke when a SoCon team came to Montana last year and knocked you out of the playoffs, it's ridiculous to be really making assumptions about the conference as a whole after you see only two of the teams play.

Wofford played South Carolina tough and had then 13-13 I believe going into the fourth quarter. No ones mentioned that, Friday was just a bad night for them and it happened to be where everyone in the country could watch. Maybe some people should just accept that App is actually capable of what they did Friday and quit writing off every team they beat as overrated. It's pathetic.xnonox

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM

....living in the past a bit, are we? xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:46 AM
Can't find a darn playoff history now that I-AA.org is no longer up, but last 5 years was UD/Colgate, JMU/Montana ASU/UNI, ASU/UMass, ASU/UD. So So-Con other than ASU has only had a title rep 2 of the last 7 years, and zero of the last 5. Right now the So-Con has a great program in ASU. Take out ASU, the league is still decent (still would better than the other scholly leagues of Southland, OVC, MEAC, SWAC, Big South, Great West + Patriot). Wouldn't be as good as the CAA or MVC, and would be debateable about the Big Sky.

Ahhh......perspective is refreshing, isn't it? xnodx xnodx xnodx

reppies for you, my friend. xthumbsupx

ASU88
November 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
....living in the past a bit, are we? xlolx xlolx xlolx
No games being played right now, so you are either talking about accomplishments (living in the past) or discussing upcoming games (speculating about the future).

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
No games being played right now, so you are either talking about accomplishments (living in the past) or discussing upcoming games (speculating about the future).

To determine whether the SoCon is overrated TODAY, Blueballs erroneously uses arguments from the PAST. See how that works? If it's too complicated for you, I can repeat it. ;)

4th and What?
November 2nd, 2008, 08:53 AM
Well, take a look at the OOC results

App St - 2-2 - loss to LSU and JMU, Wins vs Pres and Jacksonville
Elon - 2-1 - loss to Richmond, Wins vs Stoney Brook and Pres
Wofford - 2-1 - loss to South Carolina, Wins vs Pres and Charleston Southern
Furman - 3-1 - loss to Virginia Tech, Wins vs Delaware, Colgate, Mars Hill
Georgia Southern - 2-1 - loss to Georgia, Wins vs Austin Peay, Northeastern
Samford - 2-1 - loss to Ole Miss, Wins vs Faulkner, West Georgia
Citadel - 2-1 - loss to Clemson, Wins vs Webber Int, Princeton
Western Carolina - 2-2 - losses to Florida St, Liberty, Wins vs Shorter College, Pres
Chattanooga - 1-3 - losses to Oklahoma, Florida St, Jacksonville St, Win vs Cumberland U

Overall OOC record - 18-13
I-AA OOC record - 12-4

12-4 overall against I-AA schools is pretty good, but there really isn't much as far as quality wins go apart from Furman. Furman has wins against Colgate and Delaware. But every other test they have had they have come up short, losing to JMU, Richmond, Liberty.

A lot of the responses have stated SoCon's historical strength, and I don't think there's too much question of that. The question asked is about their strength this year. I think at 12-4, and 12-2 if you drop off Western Carolina and Chattanooga against I-AA opponents shows they are still a dominant conference.

Do I think SoCon teams minus App St can hang with Cal Poly, JMU, Montana? Probably not, but I don't think CAA team minus JMU can hang with App St either. I know a lot of SoCon teams will be gunning for JMU in the playoffs, and CAA teams will be looking for payback vs App St this year in the playoffs. If nothing else, it should be fun.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 08:58 AM

Western Carolina - 2-2 - losses to Florida St, Liberty, Wins vs Shorter College, Pres
Chattanooga - 1-3 - losses to Oklahoma, Florida St, Jacksonville St, Win vs Cumberland U

I-AA OOC record - 12-4

12-4 overall against I-AA schools is pretty good, but there really isn't much as far as quality wins go apart from Furman. Furman has wins against Colgate and Delaware. But every other test they have had they have come up short, losing to JMU, Richmond, Liberty.

A lot of the responses have stated SoCon's historical strength, and I don't think there's too much question of that. The question asked is about their strength this year. I think at 12-4, and 12-2 if you drop off Western Carolina and Chattanooga against I-AA opponents shows they are still a dominant conference.

Do I think SoCon teams minus App St can hang with Cal Poly, JMU, Montana? Probably not, but I don't think CAA team minus JMU can hang with App St either. I know a lot of SoCon teams will be gunning for JMU in the playoffs, and CAA teams will be looking for payback vs App St this year in the playoffs. If nothing else, it should be fun.

And a win against Delaware this year ain't nothin' to hang your hat on either.

I agree with your analysis completely. xnodx xnodx xnodx

ASU
JMU
Weber
Cal Poly
Montana

That's your top 5, and the NC is coming from that group. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM

I-AA OOC record - 12-4

This is about the Southern Conference, including Appalachian State not excluding them. App raises the conference up to whole other level yes, but you can't exclude them from the discussion when talking about where you rank the conference.

Anytime a SoCon team beats a decent team, which according to some people never happens, then they are overrated. It's ridiculous and just degrading. After Wofford beat Elon 55-20 Elon was way overrated and Wofford was suddenly going to go to App and wipe them out on thier way to a number one ranking. Then App beats them 70-24 and now everyone second guesses the conference after this happens.

Why? It's conference play and everyone knows how much can change from game to game when playing against conference teams.xspankx

SideLine Shooter
November 2nd, 2008, 09:04 AM
And a win against Delaware this year ain't nothin' to hang your hat on either.

I agree with your analysis completely. xnodx xnodx xnodx

ASU
JMU
Weber
Cal Poly
Montana

That's your top 5, and the NC is coming from that group. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Without a doubt!!xnodx

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2008, 09:08 AM

I-AA OOC record - 12-4

Where do most of the CAA's OOC games come from? Ivy teams? NEC teams? Patriot and Pioneer teams? Come on, it's not as if the CAA has grueling OOC competition, either. Colgate did lose to a mediocre Big South team, where a good portion of the SoCon's OOC opponents come. How can you call Colgate a decent win and not do the same for Stony Brook?

And yes, I'd put at least App, Wofford, and Elon up against Poly, JMU, and UM. The SoCon is balanced and not top-heavy, and anyone who thinks so needs to look at the App. scores game-by-game.

4th and What?
November 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
This is about the Southern Conference, including Appalachian State not excluding them. App raises the conference up to whole other level yes, but you can't exclude them from the discussion when talking about where you rank the conference.

Why are you quoting me? I completely agree with this, and as I said, Furman is the team in the SoCon with quality OOC wins.

Just like you can't negate App State when looking at the SoCon, you can't negate JMU from the CAA, Weber State/Montana from the Big Sky, or Cal Poly from the Great West.

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
This is about the Big Sky Conference, including Montana not excluding them. UM raises the conference up to whole other level yes, but you can't exclude them from the discussion when talking about where you rank the conference.

Anytime a BSC team beats a decent team, which according to some people never happens, then they are overrated. It's ridiculous and just degrading.Do you go back to old Big Sky bashing threads and pull ideas from us? xlolxxsmiley_wix

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:17 AM
Why are you quoting me? I completely agree with this, and as I said, Furman is the team in the SoCon with quality OOC wins.

Just like you can't negate App State when looking at the SoCon, you can't negate JMU from the CAA, Weber State/Montana from the Big Sky, or Cal Poly from the Great West.

I misunderstood you, my apologies.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:19 AM
Do you go back to old Big Sky bashing threads and pull ideas from us? xlolxxsmiley_wix

Montana fans are as bad as women, turning things around on you and brining up things irrelevent to what is being talked about but then it ends up being talked about regardless.

STOP, it's annoying and most people probably deal with it enough at home as it is anyway.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 09:20 AM
Montana fans are as bad as women, turning things around on you and brining up things irrelevent to what is being talked about but then it ends up being talked about regardless.

STOP, it's annoying and most people probably deal with it enough at home as it is anyway.

Why must you constantly make blatant generalizations? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

uofmman1122
November 2nd, 2008, 09:22 AM

STOP, it's annoying and most people probably deal with it enough at home as it is anyway.xlolxxlolxxlolx

The thing you don't seem to realize is that you're using the exact same argument Montana and BSC fans have used for years regarding the strength of our conference. It wasn't valid when we used it, but when it applies to the SoCon, it somehow holds true? xeyebrowx

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:38 AM
xlolxxlolxxlolx

The thing you don't seem to realize is that you're using the exact same argument Montana and BSC fans have used for years regarding the strength of our conference. It wasn't valid when we used it, but when it applies to the SoCon, it somehow holds true? xeyebrowx

Maybe when Montana wins 3 straight.......xpeacex xwhistlex

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Maybe when Montana wins 3 straight.......xpeacex xwhistlex

ASU's success doesn't imply SoCon strength. Right CAA fans? xlolx xlolx xlolx

GATA
November 2nd, 2008, 10:33 AM

This assumes that if App State wasn't in the conference that somebody else from the conference wouldn't have ever had a chance at making one of the last 3 title games...that's a big and stupid assumption...

Phoenix87
November 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM

Speaking from experience, this years Wofford team is much better than last years. What happened this past week against App State is the same thing that happened to Elon against Wofford. One team was flat and the other was playing a perfect game.

When the top teams out of the CAA or Socon are playing their A game it is near impossible to beat them unless you match it. If you don't than you will get blown out because the teams are that good.

I would take the top three teams in the Socon or CAA over anyone else at this level 9 times out of 10 this year.

BigApp
November 2nd, 2008, 10:50 AM

Since the SoCon is sooo weak, you're certainly welcome to have your AD contact our Commish and offer to have Montana play all our teams in non-conference matchups (except for Appalachian, you "can't afford (http://www.grizzoulian.com/2007/01/articles/-football/oday-money-may-be-too-great-an-obstacle-for-game-between-appalachian-st-and-um/)" to play l'il ol us). Heck, since we're sooo bad you can even boost your ego by travelling down here to whip up on us!

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 10:51 AM
This assumes that if App State wasn't in the conference that somebody else from the conference wouldn't have ever had a chance at making one of the last 3 title games...that's a big and stupid assumption...

but a bigger (and much stupider assumption) is to assume that someone else from the conference WOULD have made one of the last three title games... ;)

4th and What?
November 2nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Where do most of the CAA's OOC games come from? Ivy teams? NEC teams? Patriot and Pioneer teams? Come on, it's not as if the CAA has grueling OOC competition, either. Colgate did lose to a mediocre Big South team, where a good portion of the SoCon's OOC opponents come. How can you call Colgate a decent win and not do the same for Stony Brook?

And yes, I'd put at least App, Wofford, and Elon up against Poly, JMU, and UM. The SoCon is balanced and not top-heavy, and anyone who thinks so needs to look at the App. scores game-by-game.

Stony Brook has hardly had a good year. 1-5 outside their conference with a 43-3 loss to Hofstra and 33-0 to Liberty. At least they showed up against Elon and Maine. As far as their win against Colgate, I don't know what to tell you, I haven't seen a game this year by either team, so I can only go off their stats, schedules, and final scores. Or does this mean I should take Colgate off the decent win list and give SoCon's best OOC win so far as Delaware?

As far as the CAA goes, do you really want to put SoCon's OOC record up against CAA's this year? Well, let's see.....you brought up Elon's win over Stony Brook 30-20. Elon is one of your top tier SoCon teams? Well, Maine beat them 28-13, and Hofsta beat them 43-3. And yes, the CAA has a lot of wins against the NEC, Ivy League, and Patriot league. I would list additional wins however over Elon, Army, App State, UC Davis, and dishing out all 3 of Albany's losses.

This thread however is not about the CAA/SoCon argument, as there are plenty of those we can post in. It's simply whether the SoCon is overrated, which they are not. The SoCon can put up just as many wins I am sure against NEC, Ivy, and Patriot league teams, they just haven't had them scheduled, and the poor showing Wofford put up on Friday, whether it was due to App State "firing on all cylinders" or Wofford just not showing up to the game, it brought up some real questions. I for one was just flat disappointed that a I-AA game broadcast on prime time ESPN2 turned into the App State show. The average BCS fan knows about App State beating Michigan, and this game made it look like FCS is a league with one or two decent schools running over everyone else. Wofford was ranked #3, and a #3 team has no place looking they way they did on national television (and yes, I agree the Duke loss was bad also).

ASU88
November 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
... (and yes, I agree the Duke loss was bad also).
Actually with the way Duke has played this year, that loss isn't that bad. They are not the joke they have been in years past.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 2nd, 2008, 11:05 AM
Im sorry but you cannot compare Elon's win over Stony Brook with Maine's and Hofstra's because of the insane weather that played a huge part in that game.

4th and What?
November 2nd, 2008, 11:10 AM
Actually with the way Duke has played this year, that loss isn't that bad. They are not the joke they have been in years past.

Agreed, but JMU couldn't even hang with them, and at the time, while people expected Duke to have the year they are having, they had yet to prove themselves, coming off of a 1-11 season.

Im sorry but you cannot compare Elon's win over Stony Brook with Maine's and Hofstra's because of the insane weather that played a huge part in that game.

But FCS_Pwns_BCS wants to use it as a quality win for SoCon, what should I compare it against? I know nothing about that game, so was comparing it with what I had available. I was simply trying to show that Stony Brook is hardly a win that SoCon can use to show they are a top tier conference, which they are anyway.

yosef1969
November 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Said it before I'll say it again, if you aren't hated you aren't very good. As long as the App hate continues I know that all is right with the world.

CAA is the best conference this year and probably last year as well. Prior to that is was the Gateway but the reality is the strength of the conference doesn't do much in terms of NC results. All that matters is that a team is tested enough to prepare them for the playoffs. I feel that has been the issue for Montana in recent years (maybe not this season) and it was certainly the case for McNeese last year. SoCon is a good balance, 3 or 4 teams that in the right circumstances, can beat anyone. The big sky hasn't had that in recent years and not sure that the MVC has it right now.

A relentlessly tough schedule can take a toll and I think this has been evidenced in the CAA/Gateway-MVC playoff/championship appearances. The teams in these conferences have had to take it on the road to get to the NC (Delaware, UNI, UMass and JMU). Out of that group only JMU carried it all the way to finish. ASU benefitted from UM and MSU losses to get home field throughout last year but it allowed them to make a run without the hangover effect of extensive travel. This year may turn out different now that it appears JMU will get much deserved home field advantage. Although it has benefitted ASU, IMO it's just more evidence that the NCAA needs to go back to seeding the entire field.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
App would also have homefield throughout as long as they get thre #2 seed. Assuming they win out they should recieve that.

Syntax Error
November 2nd, 2008, 12:04 PM
"SoCon way overrated?"

No.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
"SoCon way overrated?"

No.

Deep thoughts by Jack Handy.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM
Said it before I'll say it again, if you aren't hated you aren't very good. As long as the App hate continues I know that all is right with the world...

xnonox We have very real enemies in this world and it's not the team we play against on Saturday. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
Big Sky<MVFC<Southern<CAA

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 12:26 PM
Big Sky<MVFC<Southern<CAA

This from the latest GPI rankings.

Conference Ranking:
Rank, League, Total Average
1. Colonial Athletic Association (22.16)
2. Southern Conference (29.29)
3. Big Sky Conference (30.45)
4. Great West Football Conference (31.40)
5. Southland Conference (33.57)
6. Missouri Valley Football Conference (36.78)
7. Ivy League (49.02)
8. Big South Conference (49.09)
9. Patriot League (49.61)
10. Ohio Valley Conference (50.92)
11. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (61.33)
12. Northeast Conference (66.50)
13. Southwestern Athletic Conference (69.98)
14. Pioneer Football League (75.43)
15. Independents (79.28)

But, don't bother with the facts....they only get in the way. xthumbsupx

yosef1969
November 2nd, 2008, 12:27 PM
xnonox We have very real enemies in this world and it's not the team we play against in Saturday. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

Not real hate, just a healthy dose of good old fashioned sports hate.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:30 PM
This is how Sagarin sees it:

1 COLONIAL
2 SOUTHERN
3 BIG SKY
4 GREAT WEST
5 SOUTHLAND
6 MISSOURI VALLEY
7 BIG SOUTH
8 PATRIOT LEAGUE
9 IVY LEAGUE
10 OHIO VALLEY
11 MID-EASTERN
12 NORTHEAST
13 SOUTHWESTERN
14 PIONEER
15 I-AA INDEPENDENTS

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc08.htm

ASU88
November 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
This is how Sagarin sees it:

1 COLONIAL
2 SOUTHERN
3 BIG SKY
4 GREAT WEST
5 SOUTHLAND
6 MISSOURI VALLEY
7 BIG SOUTH
8 PATRIOT LEAGUE
9 IVY LEAGUE
10 OHIO VALLEY
11 MID-EASTERN
12 NORTHEAST
13 SOUTHWESTERN
14 PIONEER
15 I-AA INDEPENDENTS

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc08.htm

That looks about right.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:32 PM
Not real hate, just a healthy dose of good old fashioned sports hate.

Well, ok then. xnodx

AlphaSigMD
November 2nd, 2008, 12:50 PM
I would put the Missouri Valley ahead of the Big Sky.

1a - CAA
1b - SoCon
3 - Missouri Valley
4 - Big Sky

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
That looks about right.

Yup. Southern is a couple of points behind Colonial. Those two deserve to be at the top, in my opinion.

Big Sky is another five points down from SoCon, while the Great West, Southland and Missouri Valley are a couple of points below the BSC.

Big South, Patriot and Ivy drop another five points, and the Ohio Valley slips a couple of points below Ivy.

MEAC and the Northeast are six points below the Ohio Valley.

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 12:58 PM

1a - CAA
1b - SoCon
3 - Missouri Valley
4 - Big Sky

Don't have to study statistics or logic in that medical curriculum? xconfusedx

gophoenix
November 2nd, 2008, 01:06 PM
Stony Brook has hardly had a good year. 1-5 outside their conference with a 43-3 loss to Hofstra and 33-0 to Liberty. At least they showed up against Elon and Maine. As far as their win against Colgate, I don't know what to tell you, I haven't seen a game this year by either team, so I can only go off their stats, schedules, and final scores. Or does this mean I should take Colgate off the decent win list and give SoCon's best OOC win so far as Delaware?

As far as the CAA goes, do you really want to put SoCon's OOC record up against CAA's this year? Well, let's see.....you brought up Elon's win over Stony Brook 30-20. Elon is one of your top tier SoCon teams? Well, Maine beat them 28-13, and Hofsta beat them 43-3. And yes, the CAA has a lot of wins against the NEC, Ivy League, and Patriot league. I would list additional wins however over Elon, Army, App State, UC Davis, and dishing out all 3 of Albany's losses.

This thread however is not about the CAA/SoCon argument, as there are plenty of those we can post in. It's simply whether the SoCon is overrated, which they are not. The SoCon can put up just as many wins I am sure against NEC, Ivy, and Patriot league teams, they just haven't had them scheduled, and the poor showing Wofford put up on Friday, whether it was due to App State "firing on all cylinders" or Wofford just not showing up to the game, it brought up some real questions. I for one was just flat disappointed that a I-AA game broadcast on prime time ESPN2 turned into the App State show. The average BCS fan knows about App State beating Michigan, and this game made it look like FCS is a league with one or two decent schools running over everyone else. Wofford was ranked #3, and a #3 team has no place looking they way they did on national television (and yes, I agree the Duke loss was bad also).

Uhm, that Elon/SB game had 5" of rain and much of 2 quarters were unviewable from the Box according to the game callers. Look at many of the NE games that weekend; they were all sloppily played because of the weather. Not isn't a good measure for accessing any team.

Sir William
November 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
2 weeks ago, App was #2, Elon was #3 and Wofford was #4. In that two week span, Wofford beat Elon and App beat Wofford.

What the heck does any of this have to do with whether or not the SoCon is overrated?

"SoCon way overrated?" What an absolutely stupid question posed by Ronbo. The fact is that at this point the CAA is probably top-to-bottom the best conference, and the SoCon at this point is second best behind them, and them alone. If the SoCon is so overrated, then maybe Ronbo and the rest of Griz nation need to make a lucid argument as to why the Big Sky is rated third by Sagarin. Wanna talk overrated...Big Sky #3?

Ronbo
November 2nd, 2008, 01:17 PM
The SoCon is always overrated and the Big Sky proves it every year.

EWU, a 2nd place team, goes to the rock and plays ASU toe to toe. NAU, a team that wasn't even a factor in the Sky last season gave them a good game. Come on ASU, go play these guys at their fields some time and they'll beat you! Why is ASU afraid to go play a BSC team on their home field. I heard from a very good source that it was ASU that backed out of a home and home with the Griz last year.

A Furman team goes to MSU and GETS THEIR ARSES HANDED TO THEM.

The best Furman team ever goes to the NC in 2001 and Montana shuts their butts out till the last second. They didn't even get close to scoring the entire game till the hail mary at the end.

Yes, the SOCON is always overrated year after year after year!!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 2nd, 2008, 01:24 PM

EWU, a 2nd place team, goes to the rock and plays ASU toe to toe. NAU, a team that wasn't even a factor in the Sky last season gave them a good game. Come on ASU, go play these guys at their fields some time and they'll beat you! Why is ASU afraid to go play a BSC team on their home field. I heard from a very good source that it was ASU that backed out of a home and home with the Griz last year.

The best Furman team ever goes to the NC in 2001 and Montana shuts their butts out till the last second. They didn't even get close to scoring the entire game till the hail mary at the end.

Furman did have a pretty good team in 2001, but it was one of your two NC teams so it must have been one of your best teams ever. I'm not sure long-time Furman fans would say it was the best. They'd probably agree that their 2005, 1988, and 1989 teams were better. And it's not like you guys blew them out, either.

Furman from 2006 was a total bubble team. That was one of the worst SoCons ever.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
2 weeks ago, App was #2, Elon was #3 and Wofford was #4. In that two week span, Wofford beat Elon and App beat Wofford.

What the heck does any of this have to do with whether or not the SoCon is overrated?

"SoCon way overrated?" What an absolutely stupid question posed by Ronbo. The fact is that at this point the CAA is probably top-to-bottom the best conference, and the SoCon at this point is second best behind them, and them alone. If the SoCon is so overrated, then maybe Ronbo and the rest of Griz nation need to make a lucid argument as to why the Big Sky is rated third by Sagarin. Wanna talk overrated...Big Sky #3?

This is how it plays out for me (not a Griz fan, but a Big Fluff fan). Two weeks ago, yes App State #2, Elon #3, Wofford #4. Then Wofford beat Elon pretty handily at Elon and this past week, Wofford more or less did not show up for the App State game. Last week, mostly what I was hearing was that Elon was not really a top 10 team. This week, I'd be hard pressed to place Wofford in the top 10. What is emerging, to me at least, is this year, unlike years past, the SoCon is basically App State and the rest, similar to what has been said for years on this board about Montana and the Big Fluff. What I look at in the top 10 possibly are 3+ from the CAA, 2 from Big Fluff, 2+ from MoValley, and just App State from the SoCon. Two teams from the Big Fluff, Montana and Weber State, could not be above App State, but definitely right behind them, based on the performance of the #2 SoCon team (whether Wofford or Elon). Pretty close I would say. Whereas I would not like to play at Furman or Georgia Southern, I think the SoCon would find it equally as difficult to play at Northern Arizona, Montana State, or even Portland State.

ASU88
November 2nd, 2008, 01:27 PM
xlolx
EWU was getting their butt kicked in that game, and they made a nice comeback that fell short almost completely due to our awful special teams.

NAU had to have a late score to lose by 13.

NAU made the trip during the regular season, but that's about it. Otherwise, we play who comes to us in the playoffs.

How many times has Montana been to The Rock?

Sir William
November 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Furman did have a pretty good team in 2001, but it was one of your two NC teams so it must have been one of your best teams ever. I'm not sure long-time Furman fans would say it was the best. They'd probably agree that their 2005, 1988, and 1989 teams were better. And it's not like you guys blew them out, either.

Furman from 2006 was a total bubble team. That was one of the worst SoCons ever.

The 1985 FU team was our best (lost NC to GaSouthern in final secs). Toss-up between 1988 (won NC), 1989, and 2005. The 2001 team was a good one, but I'm not sure they would even rank as our 5th best all-time.

Thanks, FCS_pawn_FBS, for your precise insights. Rep points to you.

GATA
November 2nd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Does is really even matter if the SOCON is overrated?

We all know what's going to happen...the SOCON is gonna get shafted again and only get 2 teams in the playoffs while the CAA will get a ridiculous 5 or 6 teams.

After that happens Appalachian State will run through the playoffs probably beating 4 consecutive CAA teams on their way to a 4th championship. xcoffeex

Sir William
November 2nd, 2008, 01:32 PM

Yep...just like a Wofford team goes to Missoula and hands the Griz's arse to them...served up cold. What's your point?

alexale23
November 2nd, 2008, 01:35 PM

We all know what's going to happen...the SOCON is gonna get shafted again and only get 2 teams in the playoffs while the CAA will get a ridiculous 5 or 6 teams.

After that happens Appalachian State will run through the playoffs probably beating 4 consecutive CAA teams on their way to a 4th championship. xcoffeex

Just because app is good doesnot mean you should get extra teams in.
You will get 3 teams in easy
APP WOF ELON

CAA will get 5

UNH
MASS
JMU
RICHMOND
NOVA

GATA
November 2nd, 2008, 01:38 PM
APP WOF ELON

CAA will get 5

UNH
MASS
JMU
RICHMOND
NOVA

Well..I guess the SOCON should just add 3 more teams if we want to get 5 or 6 in...

I say Coastal Carolina, North Alabama, and Valdosta.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
The Socon isn't WAY overrated but we are down a bit this year. only 5 teams qualify for the playoffs and GSU could be out if they lose to Furman.

blazrdog#1
November 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM
Say next November to Birmingham and play OUR kind of ball.We will introduce you to good ol' fashioned southeastern football.

DuckDuckGriz
November 2nd, 2008, 01:55 PM
Yep...just like a Wofford team goes to Missoula and hands the Griz's arse to them...served up cold. What's your point?

I'm not really involved in this one but a 1 pt win off a missed FG isn't exactly getting your ass handed to you. Wofford deserved the win - but what you got in Bozeman was a blowout and that is definite ass handing.

The SoCon/Big Sky can only claim 1 road win each when playing eachother. Wofford last year and Montana at Marshall in 1995 - that doesn't exactly spell dominance by either conference.

Reign of Terrier
November 2nd, 2008, 01:56 PM
Say next November to Birmingham and play OUR kind of ball.We will introduce you to good ol' fashioned southeastern football.

Yawn.

matfu
November 2nd, 2008, 02:25 PM

It is one thing to make statements backed up by facts and another which is just totally hot air. There is a difference between having something to say and having to say something.

A fair to good Furman team lost to Montana State in the playoffs in 2006 when it was announced we had to travel to Montana. The 2001 team was no where near our best team as others have stated. The Southern Conference is superior to the Big Sky overall this year but not by much.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 02:29 PM
EWU only scored 7 points on offense until the final six minutes of the game when App pulled their starters. Then EWU scored two garbage touchdowns and App won pretty easily in that game and anyone who saw it knows that.

GATA
November 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
SOCON = way overrated...

Next.

Saint3333
November 2nd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Yep we heard this every game the last 12 playoff games, how'd that work out again?:D

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 2nd, 2008, 04:04 PM
Just saying (App fans dont take this seriously) if Elon beats App State next week......what can anyone say, App is not a Top 10 team....highly unlikely...bottom line the SoCon may not be the best conference, but it is far from overrated. It is one of the only conferences that the term any given saturday really takes part. Think about it App, Wofford, Elon, Furman, Citadel, Samford, GA Southern are all teams who have honestly beat up on each other. Western Carolina a supposed bottom feeder in the conference had a 31-3 lead on GA Southern, a team that lost to App, Elon, and Wofford by a combined four points. Samford another team expected not to compete took Furman to the wire yesterday and the only reason the game didnt go to OT was 2 botched field goals It is insane to say the SoCon is overrated because week in and out you have to show up and play because if you dont you can and will be beaten.

yosef1969
November 2nd, 2008, 04:05 PM

Holy crap! Is that a Samford fan talking smack? Never thought I'd live to see the day. Enjoy your visit to the rock next year. You'll be introduced to good ol' fashioned NWSE football.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
Just saying (App fans dont take this seriously) if Elon beats App State next week......what can anyone say, App is not a Top 10 team....highly unlikely...bottom line the SoCon may not be the best conference, but it is far from overrated. It is one of the only conferences that the term any given saturday really takes part. Think about it App, Wofford, Elon, Furman, Citadel, Samford, GA Southern are all teams who have honestly beat up on each other. Western Carolina a supposed bottom feeder in the conference had a 31-3 lead on GA Southern, a team that lost to App, Elon, and Wofford by a combined four points. Samford another team expected not to compete took Furman to the wire yesterday and the only reason the game didnt go to OT was 2 botched field goals It is insane to say the SoCon is overrated because week in and out you have to show up and play because if you dont you can and will be beaten.

Far from the only conference. Most conference games can find the bottom giving the top teams fits, especially if the bottom team is playing at home. That does not just happen in the SoCon, but most of the other conferences, too. For any team to go through conference play undefeated says alot about the quality of that team, regardless of the overall strength of the conference. Same in the Big Sky, with Weber State having beaten one of our bottom teams, Northern Colorado, by a rather shocking score of 17-10.

SoCon overrated, maybe slightly this year. SoCon way overrated (the title of this topic), no way.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 2nd, 2008, 04:21 PM
Far from the only conference. Most conference games can find the bottom giving the top teams fits, especially if the bottom team is playing at home. That does not just happen in the SoCon, but most of the other conferences, too. For any team to go through conference play undefeated says alot about the quality of that team, regardless of the overall strength of the conference. Same in the Big Sky, with Weber State having beaten one of our bottom teams, Northern Colorado, by a rather shocking score of 17-10.

SoCon overrated, maybe slightly this year. SoCon way overrated (the title of this topic), no way.

I stated that it is one of the only conferences because there are no gimmes, maybe except Chattanooga

james_lawfirm
November 2nd, 2008, 04:38 PM
Holy crap! Is that a Samford fan talking smack? Never thought I'd live to see the day. Enjoy your visit to the rock next year. You'll be introduced to good ol' fashioned NWSE football.

NWSE ??? What the heck is that? Directional parity? Perhaps we should just welcome them to The Rock.

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM

1a - CAA
1b - SoCon
3 - Missouri Valley
4 - Big Sky

and that would be based on what? xconfusedx xconfusedx

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:37 PM

Are you Forest Gump? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:38 PM
Well..I guess the SOCON should just add 3 more teams if we want to get 5 or 6 in...

I say Coastal Carolina, North Alabama, and Valdosta.

Yeah, that way you could play 9 conference games every year and NEVER play ANYBODY worth a ****. Just like the CAA. :)

Col Hogan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, that way you could play 9 conference games every year and NEVER play ANYBODY worth a ****. Just like the CAA. :)

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Yea, Texas Tech isn't worth a ****...Appy isn't worth a ****...xlolx xlolx xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:41 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx Yea, Texas Tech isn't worth a ****...Appy isn't worth a ****...xlolx xlolx xcoffeex

I'm talking about conference games, junior. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx Or did they move Texas Tech into the CAA? :)

Col Hogan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm talking about conference games, junior. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx Or did they move Texas Tech into the CAA? :)

Don't junior me, junior...JMU is # 1...most of the ranked CAA teams have played them...or is that chopped chicken liver????

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:46 PM
Don't junior me, junior...JMU is # 1...most of the ranked CAA teams have played them...or is that chopped chicken liver????

JMU is for real. For the rest of the teams (8 or 10) that make the playoffs, they only have one real challenge all year---beating the one good team from the conference. They all pad their resumes on cupcakes... xnodx xnodx xnodx you can't deny it. xcoffeex

Col Hogan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:52 PM
JMU is for real. For the rest of the teams (8 or 10) that make the playoffs, they only have one real challenge all year---beating the one good team from the conference. They all pad their resumes on cupcakes... xnodx xnodx xnodx you can't deny it. xcoffeex

Clearly no conference can be JMU-strong top to bottom...

If that's your yard-stick, then the bottom teams in each conference are "cup cakes"...

I know UMass best...yea, URI was a walk-over...but if you look at the prediction thread, lots of folks saw it as a match...I agree Bryant was a "cupcake"...but good on them for scheduling up...isn't that how a team improves...

But we're played JMU, Richmond, Texas Tech, and still have UNH and Maine...that's not a schedule "padded" with cup cakes...xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
November 2nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
:D

If that's your yard-stick, then the bottom teams in each conference are "cup cakes"...

I know UMass best...yea, URI was a walk-over...but if you look at the prediction thread, lots of folks saw it as a match...I agree Bryant was a "cupcake"...but good on them for scheduling up...isn't that how a team improves...

But we're played JMU, Richmond, Texas Tech, and still have UNH and Maine...that's not a schedule "padded" with cup cakes...xcoffeex

Let's go start a CAA Overrated thread, Colonel. :D :D

Native
November 2nd, 2008, 05:58 PM

xsmhx Maybe four or five challenges for CAA, three or four for SOCON and two or three for BIG SKY, at least this year.

Lots of challenges in Southland and the Missouri Valley, but no true big dogs to chase.

JALMOND
November 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM

The Big Sky (Eastern Washington) played Texas Tech, too. Played them pretty well, I remember.

AppinATL
November 2nd, 2008, 06:11 PM

IIRC, Furman turnovers have been a big factor in the last 4 games between us (all App wins). So it's one of two things:

A) App is pretty good at forcing turnovers or,

B) Furman wets their pants every time they have to play us lately

which is it, big guy?

LarryBoy
November 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
IIRC, Furman turnovers have been a big factor in the last 4 games between us (all App wins). So it's one of two things:

which is it, big guy?

I can't really speak regarding the wetness/dryness of our players' collective pants.

And sorry, we just turn over the ball all the time, period. Nothing special about App. Turnovers are part of the game (and what keeps Furman from being a great team instead of a good team), but, save for 2006, Furman always plays App tough. I don't think there's any pants-wetting/fear to worry about here.

ericsaid
November 2nd, 2008, 09:32 PM

which is it, big guy?

App forced five Wofford turnovers and have the interception leader of the entire country Friday.

YoUDeeMan
November 2nd, 2008, 10:42 PM
If I remember correctly App State basically embarrassed the 3 best teams out of the CAA on their way to the national title last year...

You better do some memory exercises. xnodx

JMU embarrased ASU most of the game. Then, in the end, they embarrassed themselves. xlolx

MountaineerGuy
November 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM
You better do some memory exercises. xnodx

JMU embarrased ASU most of the game. Then, in the end, they embarrassed themselves. xlolx

Bad form. Let a JMU fan make that comment. You stick to explaining why in the NC we put our backup QB in and he breaks a 60+yard TD run the first play. ;)

YoUDeeMan
November 3rd, 2008, 12:03 AM
Bad form. Let a JMU fan make that comment. You stick to explaining why in the NC we put our backup QB in and he breaks a 60+yard TD run the first play. ;)

JMU fans can't comment...they'd need weeks of therapy if they tried to pull up the last few seconds of that game from their memory. xnodx

As for the ASU backup QB TD play, UD teams under Keeler still don't know that a team's backup QB can actually be on the playing field during a game. Look carefully at the replay...our D was looking around expecting a flag for an illegal substitution. They still can't believe those MEAC refs didn't call it. xrulesx

:p

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2008, 12:20 AM

CAA will get 1/3 of their teams in. So-Con will get 1/3 of their teams in.
That would be 4 from the CAA and 3 from the So-Con.

BDKJMU
November 3rd, 2008, 12:24 AM
APP WOF ELON

CAA will get 5

UNH
MASS
JMU
RICHMOND
NOVA

Nope kid, CAA will get 4. Only twice before in Yankee/A-10/CAA history has their been more than 3 teams in, 4 in 04' and 5 last season.

unipanthers8907
November 3rd, 2008, 12:59 AM
ok i didnt read through all 18 pages of this post so if someone already said this, sorry! I am willing to go out on a limb and say that the SoCon is probably the 2nd toughest conference in the FCS, behind the CAA. The SoCon is one of the toughest conferences top to bottom, for example the MVFC is having a down year this year, but I bet you could take Georgia Southern and put them in the MVFC this year and they would be up there competing for 1st and 2nd place with UNI, SIU, WIU, and SDSU. No I'm not bashing the MVFC either, I love the Valley, but I am just being honest and unbiased, the Valley is down this year and the SoCon is a tough conference from top to bottom, App State just played a perfect game vs. Wofford.