PDA

View Full Version : Colgate-Lafayette

KAUMASS
October 31st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Big game...suprised no dedicated thread..love to hear your thoughts on whose got the inside track. I see a barn-burner cookin' here.

I see Lafayette by 1-2 points at Colgate. Coin flip!!

Franks Tanks
October 31st, 2008, 08:53 AM
It will be a very close game. Lafayette is quite banged up, we are down to our 4th string running back and our best defensive player is not 100%. Jordan Scott may be out for Colgate, but that may be a blessing in disguise as Eachus may be better already.

Both teams want to run the football and should be able to do it reasonably well. A turnover or big play will probably decide this one. I am hoping that big play comes from Shaun Adair by a punt return or big play in the passing game!

LehighFan11
October 31st, 2008, 09:08 AM
It will be a very close game. Lafayette is quite banged up, we are down to our 4th string running back and our best defensive player is not 100%. Jordan Scott may be out for Colgate, but that may be a blessing in disguise as Eachus may be better already.

Both teams want to run the football and should be able to do it reasonably well. A turnover or big play will probably decide this one. I am hoping that big play comes from Shaun Adair by a punt return or big play in the passing game!

What is Lafayette's RB situation? Is White healthy? Both freshman for Lafayette and Colgate have done very well but the true test is a big game like this, an inexperienced fumble could cost someone the game.

Franks Tanks
October 31st, 2008, 09:12 AM
What is Lafayette's RB situation? Is White healthy? Both freshman for Lafayette and Colgate have done very well but the true test is a big game like this, an inexperienced fumble could cost someone the game.

White is out. Coon and Morrow are both pretty banged up still as well. They may play or may not, bit neither are 100%. Rudolph the 4th stringer got a concussion last week as well--so its pretty dicey at this point.

carney2
October 31st, 2008, 09:38 AM
The "line" is Lafayette by 5 1/2. The Lafayette tailback situation is

#1 White - Out. Is iffy for a return this season at all. Tavani says "last two games - maybe."

#2 Coon - "Questionable." Reinjured ankle on 1st carry @ Fordham. I do not expect to see him at all.

#3 Morrow - Out.

#4 Rudolph - Coming off minor concussion @ Fordham, but otherwise OK.

#5 Ferber - Injured for entire season up until about 2 weeks ago. Seems OK now.

Personally, I like Lafayette's defense against Colgate's offense better than I like Colgate's defense against Lafayette's offense. On the other hand, Lafayette never - NEVER - wins this game. These are the two best offensive lines in the league at the moment. I expect Time of Possession to be a very meaningful statistic in this game. I will be glued to my TV.

LehighFan11
October 31st, 2008, 09:41 AM

#1 White - Out. Is iffy for a return this season at all. Tavani says "last two games - maybe."

#2 Coon - "Questionable." Reinjured ankle on 1st carry @ Fordham. I do not expect to see him at all.

#3 Morrow - Out.

Personally, I like Lafayette's defense against Colgate's offense better than I like Colgate's defense against Lafayette's offense. On the other hand, Lafayette never - NEVER - wins this game. I will be glued to my TV.
If Rudolph isn't 100% I question how effective Lafayette's offense will be. I don't know if Curley can carry the offense without a running game.

carney2
October 31st, 2008, 09:53 AM
If Rudolph isn't 100% I question how effective Lafayette's offense will be. I don't know if Curley can carry the offense without a running game.

Frank says that Rudolph is ready to go with no ill effects from last week. My concern about him continues to be that he weighs 170. Perhaps Ferber (215) and Russo (235; Fullback) as Mr. Inside and Mr. Inside, and Rudolph as Mr. Outside. On the other hand, the Lafayette O-line gave Rudolph lots of inside room last week against a large Fordham D-line. Colgate's D-anything is not a strength of that team.

Go...gate
October 31st, 2008, 11:57 AM

#3 Morrow - Out.

Personally, I like Lafayette's defense against Colgate's offense better than I like Colgate's defense against Lafayette's offense. On the other hand, Lafayette SOMETIMES wins this game. These are the two best offensive lines in the league at the moment. I expect Time of Possession to be a very meaningful statistic in this game. I will be glued to my TV.

I have seen some nice wins by the Leopards over the past 4 decades and we really respect you guys. This game is going to be awfully tough. With all the likely running of the football, it probably will be a short game, too. Too bad it is not on grass - it looks to be a very old-fashioned eastern football matchup.

carney2
October 31st, 2008, 12:18 PM
I have seen some nice wins by the Leopards over the past 4 decades and we really respect you guys. This game is going to be awfully tough. With all the likely running of the football, it probably will be a short game, too. Too bad it is not on grass - it looks to be a very old-fashioned eastern football matchup.

You changed my "Lafayette never - NEVER - wins this game" to "Lafayette SOMETIMES wins this game." Colgate coach Dick Biddle is, I believe, 12-1 in this matchup. If that amounts to a "sometimes," it's barely in that range. Without making a stand - and soon - the Pard wins are in danger of getting lost in the rounding.

TheValleyRaider
October 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM
I think there's little talk because I think both sides are a bit anxious about the game

Lafayette, in spite of being the favorite, has this large amount of injuries, is playing on the road, and is facing a team that has beaten them 11 of the last 12 years. That may not be weighing on the minds of the players, but certainly the fans who do the talking have to know it's there

Colgate, while the home team, is dealing with injuries of their own (one Mr. Scott) and while Eachus has been a more than pleasant surprise, I at least would still feel more comfortable with the school and League's all-time leading rusher. Also, many Raider fans are unfamiliar with the feeling of anxiety that's come from the defensive side of the ball this year. Usually, the defense is very much the strongsuit. This year, well, they've been lacking at times

Combined record for the two teams is 12-3, 6-1 combined for the soon-to-be-completed month of October. Each riding winning streaks of at least 3 games. Certainly is shaping up to be the best game in the PL so far this season, but I think we both know that Holy Cross is still waiting in the wings as well

carney2
October 31st, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think there's little talk because I think both sides are a bit anxious about the game

I am a lifelong nail biter. I'm up to the 2nd knuckle of each finger this week. Have not really been this way for any other game this year. With Liberty I expected to lose. When it got to 21-7, I began mumbling "Hey, maybe!...They can't really screw this up, can they?" Last year Colgate came from something like 21 down. I don't see either team doing anything like that this time around.

Pard94
October 31st, 2008, 01:32 PM
I have this nagging suspiscion that something unexpected is going to happen. I think one set of fans will be sitting by thier TVs/Computers or in the stands saying, "I didn't see that coming". In other words I don't think this game is going to be close. Logic dictates that it would be but I can just as easily see one team blowing the other one out. Or at least winning fairly handily. Much like what happened with Liberty. I think many of us thought if Lafayette wins it will probably be done so in a very tight fashion. Nobody predicted Liberty would suffer a blow out at our hands.

The problem here is I think it could be etiher team that does the blowing out. Exciting stuff.

ngineer
October 31st, 2008, 08:42 PM
This should be an ol' "slobberknocker". I going with Colgate purely on the statistical adage of 3 points to the home team. It will be that close.

Fordham
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 PM
I pick Laffy in an easier than expected win. No offense to Colgate but they stomped all over our soft and light D all night ... and somehow it still came down to the last 9 seconds of the game to determine the outcome. I think LC is much more stout on D than we were and will figure out a way to contain the much-too-one-dimensional 'Gate O enough to win.

Either way, certainly the game of the year thus far in the PL.

BigPapi
October 31st, 2008, 10:57 PM
What is Scott's status?

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 1st, 2008, 01:33 AM
Interested to see what kind of turnout there is at Colgate. When Lehigh-Colgate used to clash every year in the late 90's early 00's the crowds at Andy Kerr were always less than stellar. I think the biggest crowd between the two was maybe 7-8k with 2k being LU fans.