PDA

View Full Version : Students rush the field = lose home field advantage?

Skjellyfetti
October 31st, 2008, 08:07 AM
Increased attention is being focused on the sidelines this year because a NCAA ruling makes it possible for home field advantage in playoffs to be lost if students rush the field, Demarest said.

http://theapp.appstate.edu/content/view/4234/1/

Anyone know if this quote is accurate?

How many schools have had students rush the field so far this year? xconfusedx

th0m
October 31st, 2008, 08:12 AM
I'd assume this would be if the field is rushed during the playoffs, a team forfeits a home game in the next round.

The Cats
October 31st, 2008, 08:19 AM
Don't worry....... I don't think there will probably be enough Wofford students in attendance at the game to rush the field after their win....... xcoffeex

CrackerRiley
October 31st, 2008, 08:32 AM
I've literally read about half of the official NCAA rules and cannot find anything that deals with fans rushing the field. I do not think it is a NCAA rule. Maybe someone else is enforcing it. I hate when people just throw these kind of statements out there.
I know there are students here at app that want to rush the field after the game tonight. I pray that there aren't enough of them to influence a ton of people in doing it because it would be completely retarded if anyone rushed the field tonight.

19Duke97
October 31st, 2008, 09:09 AM
I doubt there is any merit to this, but if it were true, and since we already stormed the field against App, we would be in "trouble". could you imagine if we won the rest of our games, ended up #1, and lost home filed advantage, I think MM would blow a gasket, and JMU alumni would be sitting outside the NCAA offices. but again, I doubt there is any merit in this at all.. You shouldn't punish a team for its fans behaviour.

Edge316007
October 31st, 2008, 10:12 AM
It's just a rumor going around.

I know there are students here at app that want to rush the field after the game tonight. I pray that there aren't enough of them to influence a ton of people in doing it because it would be completely retarded if anyone rushed the field tonight.

Everyone was ready to rush against GSU last year. It depends on the game situation.

Appguy
October 31st, 2008, 10:18 AM
Everyone was ready to rush against GSU last year. It depends on the game situation.
Exactly, if another Miracle on the mountain happens...its basically guaranteed.
Close game with plenty of lead changes and a pulled out W at the last second... possible.
more than a touchdown lead...unlikely

ASUMountaineer
October 31st, 2008, 10:25 AM
Don't worry....... I don't think there will probably be enough Wofford students in attendance at the game to rush the field after their win....... xcoffeex

Were you alive the last time West Carolina had a reason to rush the field? I mean 2004, we weren't a playoff team either so winning the jug wouldn't have been enough--at least I wouldn't think.

Hammerhead
October 31st, 2008, 10:28 AM
Oregon lets fans onto the field after every game.

I was at the 1986 D-II football championship (at a neutral site in Florence, Al.) and there was a whole posse of mounted police officers who lined up in each end zone at the end of the game.

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2008, 10:30 AM

ASU has averaged 15,249 fans per game over its last nine playoff games. Last year's three-game average attendance was 18,376. I can think of only one school in America that can touch that average. The NCAA is not going to pass up that pile of cash. Plus, TV viewers like to see fans rush the field or court in basketball. It confirms to them that the game they just saw was important and well worth their time.

smallcollegefbfan
October 31st, 2008, 10:35 AM
I'd assume this would be if the field is rushed during the playoffs, a team forfeits a home game in the next round.

Why would anyone rush the field until the semis anyway? This seems like a stupid rule because nobody really rushes the field after first or second round wins because the home team is usually favored and ranked higher anyway.

Hoyadestroya85
October 31st, 2008, 10:36 AM
ASU has averaged 15,249 fans per game over its last nine playoff games. Last year's three-game average attendance was 18,376. I can think of only one school in America that can touch that average. The NCAA is not going to pass up that pile of cash. Plus, TV viewers like to see fans rush the field or court in basketball. It confirms to them that the game they just saw was important and well worth their time.
i can think of three schools...

HiHiYikas
October 31st, 2008, 10:40 AM
I like that ASU lets fans onto the field after games - my earliest memories of ASU football are waiting for the long, boring games to end so I could get out on the bright green turf and do what little boys do best - run and tumble around.

As for field rushing, I'll reaffirm what I've posted multiple times here an AGS - there's nothing left for ASU to accomplish that warrants a field rush. No disrespect to Wofford, but they're simply not worth it.

That's not to say an ASU vistory wouldn't justify celebration - Wofford's a tough team and an ASU win won't come easy. The game could come down to the wire. ASU could win (or lose) in dramatic fashion.

But, when a program has accomplished what ASU has accomplised the past few years, fans should know better than to rush the field after beating an outranked conference foe in the regular season.

When it comes to FCS, ASU is at the top. Fans of other schools ought to rush the field when they beat us, not the other way around.

Plus, I don't want to hear the knuckleheads at the Deuce badmouthing the University (again) because our fans don't know how to celebrate properly.

Edge316007
October 31st, 2008, 10:49 AM
Why would anyone rush the field until the semis anyway? This seems like a stupid rule because nobody really rushes the field after first or second round wins because the home team is usually favored and ranked higher anyway.

We rushed the field after the win against JMU last year because it was just such an improbable win. A forced fumble at the 9 with 30 seconds to go to keep the season alive? That never happens.

Again, it all depends on the game situation.

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM
i can think of three schools...

For playoff attendance? I'm thinking Montana and I'll spot you a Delaware.

Grizaholic17
October 31st, 2008, 11:54 AM
Unless it is a playoff game or a huge conference rival, we students at UM don't find the true need to. Also, they line event staff in front of us after the game and let us on only after everyone is shaking hands and the team has sung the fight song to the parents.

appfan2008
October 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
If its true JMU is in trouble!

tribe_pride
October 31st, 2008, 12:53 PM

Don't quote me on this, but I have to believe the Tribe fans rushed the field in the Quarters in 2004 against Delaware when it trailed 31-10 going into the 4th and came back to win 44-38 in 2 OTs. If not, they should have. Best comeback ever.

Appaholic
October 31st, 2008, 01:29 PM
Were you alive the last time West Carolina had a reason to rush the field? I mean 2004, we weren't a playoff team either so winning the jug wouldn't have been enough--at least I wouldn't think.

You're confusing WCU fans rushing the field, which really doesn't happen, and WCU players running back to hide in lockerroom, which is a fairly common occurence....xwhistlex

blueballs
October 31st, 2008, 01:37 PM
I don't think the NCAA did anything to App when their students tore down the goalposts in 2003 and vandalized the GSU team bus with one of the uprights in addition to destroying the GSU team's post game meal.

If nothing was done then I doubt anything will be done now.

Appaholic
October 31st, 2008, 01:40 PM
I like that ASU lets fans onto the field after games - my earliest memories of ASU football are waiting for the long, boring games to end so I could get out on the bright green turf and do what little boys do best - run and tumble around.

As for field rushing, I'll reaffirm what I've posted multiple times here an AGS - there's nothing left for ASU to accomplish that warrants a field rush. No disrespect to Wofford, but they're simply not worth it.

That's not to say an ASU vistory wouldn't justify celebration - Wofford's a tough team and an ASU win won't come easy. The game could come down to the wire. ASU could win (or lose) in dramatic fashion.

But, when a program has accomplished what ASU has accomplised the past few years, fans should know better than to rush the field after beating an outranked conference foe in the regular season.

When it comes to FCS, ASU is at the top. Fans of other schools ought to rush the field when they beat us, not the other way around.

Plus, I don't want to hear the knuckleheads at the Deuce badmouthing the University (again) because our fans don't know how to celebrate properly.

Totally agree......if we win tonight, please act like it's not the first time.....

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2008, 01:48 PM
I don't think the NCAA did anything to App when their students tore down the goalposts in 2003 and vandalized the GSU team bus with one of the uprights in addition to destroying the GSU team's post game meal.

If nothing was done then I doubt anything will be done now.

Really? I'm surprised nobody has said anything about this before. xrolleyesx

Syntax Error
October 31st, 2008, 02:49 PM
... there's nothing left for ASU to accomplish that warrants a field rush... when a program has accomplished what ASU has accomplised the past few years, fans should know better than to rush the field after beating an outranked conference foe... When it comes to FCS, ASU is at the top. Fans of other schools ought to rush the field when they beat us, not the other way around. Plus, I don't want to hear the knuckleheads at the Deuce badmouthing the University (again) because our fans don't know how to celebrate properly.omigawd, the arrogance!

Here's a shortlist of what ASU can accomplish this year:
1. #1 ranking (outside of preseason)
2. Outright SOCON championship
3. Unbeaten SOCON season

This game is a chance to advance those goals.

ASU is not ranked higher than WOF by everyone. ASU is not at the top. There was a good reason the Deuce badmouthed ASU fans last year.

coover
October 31st, 2008, 02:57 PM
You shouldn't punish a team for its fans behaviour.

Unfortunately, your opinion does not count.

WUTNDITWAA
October 31st, 2008, 03:07 PM
omigawd, the arrogance!

3. Unbeaten SOCON season

ASU is not ranked higher than WOF by everyone. ASU is not at the top. There was a good reason the Deuce badmouthed ASU fans last year.

Yeah, they were critical, but they're back tonight for a regular season game. That wouldn't (and hasn't) happened for anyone else in the FCS, so perhaps that "good reason" is what got them back up the Mountain tonight. xrulesx

coover
October 31st, 2008, 03:08 PM
Unless it is a playoff game or a huge conference rival, we students at UM don't find the true need to.

Besides, it's too cold to remain out in the open. Got to get to the car where there is a heater. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr

HiHiYikas
October 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM
omigawd, the arrogance!

3. Unbeaten SOCON season

Now you know better than call me arrogant, SE (or at least you ought to). I'm not suggesting that ASU stands alone at the top, that they're unbeatable, that there's no other conceivable measure of success they can attain. That would be a silly argument, and it's silly to assume I'd make such a statement.

And you certainly don't need to tell me what the Mountaineers can accomplish. I'm obviously not suggesting there's nothing left for the program to accomplish.

What I am saying is this: no further ASU accomplishment, in light of recent accomplishments, warrants a field-rushing celebration. Sooner or later, fans of a winning program ought to figure out how to win magnanimously.

OL FU
October 31st, 2008, 03:37 PM
Now you know better than call me arrogant, SE (or at least you ought to). I'm not suggesting that ASU stands alone at the top, that they're unbeatable, that there's no other conceivable measure of success they can attain. That's a silly argument, and it's silly to assume I'd make such a statement.

And you certainly don't need to tell me what the Mountaineers can accomplish. I'm obviously not suggesting there's nothing left for the program to accomplish.

What I am saying is this: no further ASU accomplishment, in light of recent accomplishments, warrants a field-rushing celebration. Sooner or later, fans of a winning program ought to figure out how to win magnanimously.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Agreed, but when you are to drunk to stand running on the field is an alternativexlolx

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2008, 03:47 PM

I'm pretty sure the Hens have nothing to worry about this year, on both counts.

BlueHen86
October 31st, 2008, 03:49 PM
Now you know better than call me arrogant, SE (or at least you ought to). I'm not suggesting that ASU stands alone at the top, that they're unbeatable, that there's no other conceivable measure of success they can attain. That would be a silly argument, and it's silly to assume I'd make such a statement.

In other words, act like you've been there before, which you guys have been.

Marcus Garvey
October 31st, 2008, 03:56 PM

If true, that would seem excessive.
I'm in favor of this rule:
If students rush the field during or after the game, they shall have their civil rights violated by police and security personnel through the use of nightsticks and mace!

Hell, I'd attend more games just to see some spoiled little frat boy get his nose smashed by a night stick just has he's yelling "WOOOOO" and waving his arms like a jackass! That'd be #@!&ing priceless! xnodx

HiHiYikas
October 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM
In other words, act like you've been there before, which you guys have been.
That's all I'm saying.

I guess there's a tinge of arrogance in saying "we've been there before." That's certainly something to be proud of. And I'm proud of the fact that plenty of other programs would call a win over ASU a banner win (or a T-Shirt win) or even a program milestone (Incidentally, Wofford is definitely NOT one of those teams).

On the other hand, when you say "act like you've been there before," you're calling for a measure of respect, dignity, and humility.

So it's a careful balance.

Skjellyfetti
November 1st, 2008, 11:44 PM
Bump. The announcer at the App-Wofford game on Friday night made repeated reference to this new rule by the NCAA.

I'm still curious as to what the rule says or if there even is a rule.

If it is a new rule... why wasn't there a press release or anything on the NCAA website about it. I haven't found anything.

Edge316007
November 2nd, 2008, 09:13 AM
Again, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a stupid rumor started by our newspaper reporting incorrect facts. Wouldn't be the first time

texcap
November 2nd, 2008, 11:55 AM
My problem with the new rule, if such a rule does exists, is that they ae trying to regulate the fans emotions and you just can't do that. If it is an emotional game at the end I think it is wrong to punish a team, other than maybe a penalty on the field, for the emotion of their fans.

If the NCAA wants to remove the emotion from the game they might as well play the game without the spectators. You can't have it both ways: wanting fans to be passionate and emotional and then at the same time expecting them to sit on their hands.

By the way, it looks like Texas Tech will lose at least two playoff home games after last nights win against Texas. I also did not hearr the announcing crew criticizing the fans and calling them classless. They recognized the emotion in the moment.

KiddBrewer
November 2nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
there is no doubt in my mind, none whatsoever, that this "rule" is not even close to what the newspaper stated it was. its all a way to scare ASU students into not running on the field. they can say whatever they need to say, but you mention to App kids that they may lose a home game! A HOME GAME WHERE THEY HAVE AN EXCUSE TO GET DRUNK!?....they will stay in their seats like little sheep......or most likely yet, leave at halftime.

tribe_pride
November 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
By the way, it looks like Texas Tech will lose at least two playoff home games after last nights win against Texas. I also did not hearr the announcing crew criticizing the fans and calling them classless. They recognized the emotion in the moment.

They should have criticized them. The fans caused 2 15 yard penalties in that game (I am pretty sure) and ran onto the field before the game was over. If fans are going to go onto the field, they better not do it before the game is over.

Edge316007
November 2nd, 2008, 12:18 PM
there is no doubt in my mind, none whatsoever, that this "rule" is not even close to what the newspaper stated it was. its all a way to scare ASU students into not running on the field. they can say whatever they need to say, but you mention to App kids that they may lose a home game! A HOME GAME WHERE THEY HAVE AN EXCUSE TO GET DRUNK!?....they will stay in their seats like little sheep......or most likely yet, leave at halftime.

xnonono2x

And yet without the student section the place would be dead silent. Just because you are too mature for that stuff doesn't mean you need to cast judgment on others for enjoying themselves. Calling us sheep, yeah right. Jealous that App finally enjoyed prolonged success years after you graduated?

yosef1969
November 2nd, 2008, 12:34 PM
xnonono2x

And yet without the student section the place would be dead silent. Just because you are too mature for that stuff doesn't mean you need to cast judgment on others for enjoying themselves. Calling us sheep, yeah right. Jealous that App finally enjoyed prolonged success years after you graduated?

Probably shouldn't speak for anyone else so I won't but I think you should consider registering for a reading comprehension course. It's called sarcasm. He was trying to make a point with hyperbole.

MountaineerGuy
November 2nd, 2008, 12:41 PM
I guess I can't really speak to whether it's an "official" NCAA rule, but I know the loud voice in the speakers was talking about it Friday, so I assume it has some merit. Following that, I would assume it means if fans rush the field at any game, the team forfeits a playoff home game.

What we were talking about in the stands was what happens if you rush the field after the semifinals...I assume it would carry over to the next year that team makes it to the playoffs?

I do agree that there would have been no reason for us to rush the field Friday night...frankly I didn't think it was warranted even last year after the 1pt victory over JMU...it was exciting yes, but it was the quarterfinals.

I've heard people say this is "The App St. rule" because of last year at the NC. From what I understood people's main objection was the fans being down there so early. I don't know if this has been discussed on this board or not, but the security people waved the fans from behind the endzone onto the field before the game ended...it wasn't like they just hopped the barrier and ran past them.

If I was a JMU fan and we beat App at home (especially after last year), I would probably want to rush the field.

If I was an ECU fan and we beat West Virginia I would probably want to rush the field.

That doesn't mean I'd be trampling over tiny girls, and I'd also like not to have my skull arbitrarily bashed.

AmsterBison
November 2nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Well, if this rule is real, it's not about "controlling fans' emotions", it's about a school having decent security.

BTW, I think NDSU could average 18,000+ for three playoff games... of course, being good enough to host a playoff game is the trick.

Edge316007
November 2nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
Probably shouldn't speak for anyone else so I won't but I think you should consider registering for a reading comprehension course. It's called sarcasm. He was trying to make a point with hyperbole.

You're right, you probably shouldn't. I take issue with the last few thoughts on him calling students sheep and such. I understand sarcasm and I understand hyperbole. Neither of those occurred in that post.

It was an underhanded shot while still trying to make his point about the rumor being a scare.