PDA

View Full Version : Perilloux to stay for senior year

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 09:28 AM
JACKSONVILLE — The day Ryan Perrilloux signed to continue his playing career at Jacksonville State, one of the first questions asked after those about his character was how long the quarterback was going to stay.

Being one of the nation's top prospects coming out of high school, Perrilloux was expected to be on a fast track to the NFL, with Jacksonville State a short detour along the way.

JSU coach Jack Crowe said he has "every expectation" Perrilloux will return next season. The junior appears committed to doing so, and not even the possibility of an NCAA penalty keeping the Gamecocks out of the playoffs next year would change that.

"I think I'm a good football player and I think I can play at the next level, but I want to get my degree and I want to do different things before I leave college," Perrilloux said. "I'm not in any hurry to start the career that hopefully is promised me."

"I think our future is next year and I have every expectation Ryan is going to be here," Crowe said, responding to an unrelated question regarding the plans for freshman backup Marques Ivory now that their playoff hopes seem gone.

The NCAA's public APR announcement is expected in the spring, several weeks after the NFL Draft, so Perrilloux would have to declare his intentions to enter the draft before that, although it's likely JSU would know its penalties before then.

"That's all new to me; I don't know what I want to do," Perrilloux said. "Basically, what I'm doing here is, I definitely want to stay and get my degree. I want to stay here and lead us to a championship before I go; this year we had it in our grasp and let it slip away.

MaroonDoom
October 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
After that EKU game maybe is stock has dropped, but not his waiste line.

beauvighn
October 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I'm sure all 32 pro teams can now rest easy knowing that there will not be a Ryan Perrilloux bidding war.xeyebrowx

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 09:37 AM
xconfusedx

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
After that EKU game maybe is stock has dropped, but not his waiste line.

xconfusedx

Hoyadestroya85
October 30th, 2008, 09:53 AM
If he had left early he would have become another Xavier Lee, but if he stays, could he be Bobby Reid?

introvertedGSUfan
October 30th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Why is this even news? I thought it was pretty much agreed that Perilloux isn't at the level where he could be drafted yet?

FCS Go!
October 30th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Why is this even news? I thought it was pretty much agreed that Perilloux isn't at the level where he could be drafted yet?

Fans worry about their own. I think some (few) had unrealistic expectations as to how good he would be in FCS and expected him to tear through the weak I-AA competition like a daisy cutter bomb through a heard of sheep.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
The junior appears committed to doing so, and not even the possibility of an NCAA penalty keeping the Gamecocks out of the playoffs next year would change that.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

xeekx

Does this mean that Jacksonville State basically *knows* they're going to get the postseason ban due to their poor APR numbers over the past three years????

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Somebody who has more internal knowledge than myself would have to answer the APR question. There is no arguing that we fail in this area although I'm not sure how much of it is totally under the coaches control.

Assuming that we get some sort of break then we can look forward to next year more optomistically

UNI Pike
October 30th, 2008, 11:23 AM
NCAA APR - are they tying the past JSU graduation success to future playoff eligibility? Is that the reference to NCAA penalty?

How low would that APR be? Is it just for FB or all sports?

appfan2008
October 30th, 2008, 12:19 PM
no surprise that he will stay... his draft prospects are no where near where people thought they would be coming into this year...

MaroonDoom
October 30th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Agreed, but if he stays on the right path, his potential is scary. If JSU get's a few D-1 transfers the OVC better beware.

aust42
October 30th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Is Perilloux having a good year? Is he good enough to even consider leaving early?

mikebigg
October 30th, 2008, 01:17 PM
I'm glad he's gonna get his degree..that's the least he can do for himself. His chances at the pros are increased with another year to play and develop while also showing the past is behind him. I'm glad and proud of the season he's had so far...and I don't even know his stats. Just glad to see him progressing. Hope it continues from here on out...he has to stay focused during the offseason. I think he will!

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Is Perilloux having a good year? Is he good enough to even consider leaving early?

Passing:
GP-GS Effic Cmp-Att-Int Pct Yards TD Long Avg/G
8-8 141.5 134-215-10 62.3 1676 15 66 209.5

Rushing:
GP-GS Att Gain Loss Net Avg TD Long Avg/G
8-8 88 418 175 243 2.8 6 35 30.4

UNI Pike
October 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM
mikebigg - that is some avatar. love that hair, but I don't know how that could get crammed into a helmet, except one of those inflatable tunnel jobs.

UNI Pike
October 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
BTW - how are JSU fans taking the season so far. There were some high expectations when the season began. Any blowback?

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Blowback - no; mad as hell - yes :)

mikebigg
October 30th, 2008, 02:55 PM
mikebigg - that is some avatar. love that hair, but I don't know how that could get crammed into a helmet, except one of those inflatable tunnel jobs.

I only played in high school, but it really wasn't difficult. I would just push it toward the back and slid the helmet on in the general direction. We actually thought it was cool (this was in the mid 70's) to have hair protruding out the back of your helmet...chicks really dug it. Hard to believe why nowadays. The fro is long gone... I grew it back about 6 years ago (not quite so tall) and it was okay. I don't think it would pass now though...got some thin spots in the lawn.

grizband
October 30th, 2008, 03:21 PM
no surprise that he will stay... his draft prospects are no where near where people thought they would be coming into this year...
Especially given the crop of quarterbacks who could declare for the draft this season...

I-AA Fan
October 31st, 2008, 11:42 AM
Like he has any choice. Unless he wants to walk-on to an NFL team or go arena.

Cocky
October 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
BTW - how are JSU fans taking the season so far. There were some high expectations when the season began. Any blowback?

My biggest blowback maybe that most on here are judging RP with the present coaching. RP has the tools to play in the NFL but our system is out of whack. Not only RP but JSU has a fair amount of talent this year.

Maybe the APR score will cause our BOT to either apply a great deal of pressure or make some changes.

GrizFanStuckInUtah
October 31st, 2008, 02:41 PM
I only played in high school, but it really wasn't difficult. I would just push it toward the back and slid the helmet on in the general direction. We actually thought it was cool (this was in the mid 70's) to have hair protruding out the back of your helmet...chicks really dug it. Hard to believe why nowadays. The fro is long gone... I grew it back about 6 years ago (not quite so tall) and it was okay. I don't think it would pass now though...got some thin spots in the lawn.

Ya well, I have some lawn in the thin spots xthumbsupx ;)