PDA

View Full Version : OVC Playoff Scenario

jaxstatealum
October 29th, 2008, 10:57 AM
From the gojaxstate message board and I'll give credit to the author JSU02:

I realize our playoff chances are slim to none at this point, but I thought of a very plausible scenerio where we would be in a decent position to get an at large spot. We had been hoping that our TnST game would end up being the OVC championship game, but it now looks like that game will actually be EKU v UTM. If UTM loses to EKU, then EKU would win the OVC and autobid. UTM will only have 6 D-I wins and not qualify for an at large bid. Now IF (BIG IF) JSU can win out and defeat TnST in a dominate manner we would be 8-3. Now even if TnST does lose in Jacksonville, they are playing 12 games this year and would have the potential to finish 9-3. So my question to y'all is, would the selection committee pick an 8-3 JSU team (with losses to GT, OVC champ EKU, and UTM) over an 9-3 TnST team (with losses to FAMU, JSU, and SEMO).

What would happen if UTM beats EKU and we win out (gamecock99) ? It does raise an interesting question as we hope against hope... Any thoughts...

Lehigh Football Nation
October 29th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I think it could happen, but there are a lot of power conferences that would need to lose in front of you. Notably, you would need to be big fans of Garnder-Webb upsetting Liberty - and then having the Flames upset Elon, who lose that game and one more.

You'd probably also become huge fans of UC Davis upsetting Cal Poly, too.

I think the very slim chance is there, but you need an awful lot to happen to get consideration. Liberty getting one or two losses and Elon absolutely getting two losses, I think, would be a prerequisite.

appfan2008
October 29th, 2008, 11:06 AM
wow we sure are stretching things here arent we... always good to hope but IMO until an ovc team wins a playoff game this millenium no need to talk about at large spots

jaxstatealum
October 29th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Of course I'm hoping against hope, but isn't that part of what makes life fun? By the way... Appy hasn't always been on top and soon the OVC will be stronger. There was a day when EKU carried the banner for our conference....

siuham
October 29th, 2008, 11:20 AM
It's not that the OVC couldn't get 2 bids, it's just not this year. The play-off field is a little on the congested side.

nmatsen
October 29th, 2008, 11:23 AM
I have no idea why the OVC EVER gets two bids. Have they won more than 5 playoff games in the last 20 years? Heck, Eastern Illinois had a seed and Tony Freaking Romo and still couldn't win a game.

hawkeye
October 29th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Hopefully we beat SEMO and EKU and you guys win out........getting at large bid.........but........I dont see the OVC getting the at large bid this year. Of course, that has been said last several years and OVC gets ALB.

For you guys, I see you have A. Peay and Tenn St at Paul Snow Stadium w/ Tenn Tech away. Home field is big as usual. Skyhawks have EKU at home and SEMO away. Look what happened to Tenn St against SEMO. xsmhx EKU also has SEMO away this week xthumbsupx and Murray St. at home.
It all takes me back to 2006 as I stood at Martin on a cold cloudy day and watched a final second field goal sail through the upright for a EKU win. We had to share the OVC Championship w EIU. Martin has not forgot that last second field goal and should we beat SEMO, Coach Simpson & Boone will have the players peeing vinegar and eating nails in anticipation for the Colonels.

appfan2008
October 29th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I have no idea why the OVC EVER gets two bids. Have they won more than 5 playoff games in the last 20 years? Heck, Eastern Illinois had a seed and Tony Freaking Romo and still couldn't win a game.

Me neither... they shouldnt until they prove something on the field...

OL FU
October 29th, 2008, 11:37 AM
wow we sure are stretching things here arent we... always good to hope but IMO until an ovc team wins a playoff game this millenium no need to talk about at large spots

I believe they had two (auto and at large) last year, not that long ago.

UAalum72
October 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM
I believe they had two (auto and at large) last year, not that long ago.
Last year and also in 2006.

Only win in the last ten years was by Western Kentucky (no longer in the OVC, or even in FCS) and it was against a MEAC team (no wins in the last nine years)

UNI Pike
October 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
What would happen if UTM beats EKU and we win out (gamecock99) ? It does raise an interesting question as we hope against hope... Any thoughts...

You would lose in the first round of the playoffs xcoffeex

TTUEagles
October 29th, 2008, 12:46 PM
The past failures of OVC teams to win a playoff game should have no bearing on who gets a playoff bid in that current year. This year's teams of UTM, EKU and Jax St. can't help what OVC teams did in 1985 much less what happened last year. New year, new teams. If the playoff committee declares that an OVC team deserves an at-large bid, so be it. Personally, I thought both deserved the bids last year, but only 1 should get it, this particular year.

MaroonDoom
October 29th, 2008, 02:36 PM
As a EKU alum & fan the OVC must start making some noise in the playoffs to receive some props. Someone needs a 'perfect storm' type season to begin that ball rolling again & get a first round home game. This year I see only one team making it & again that team hitting the road for a L.

ekufbfan
October 29th, 2008, 04:32 PM
As a EKU alum & fan the OVC must start making some noise in the playoffs to receive some props. Someone needs a 'perfect storm' type season to begin that ball rolling again & get a first round home game. This year I see only one team making it & again that team hitting the road for a L.

Guaren-d-tee WHOEVER gets the auto will be on the road. When the OVC is sent on the road everytime you are going to come up with more L's than W's, that is a fact. Now that does not at all makeup for the dismal record the OVC has had, but it sure as shootin' hasn't helped. I guarantee there isn't a team out there that would volunteer to go on the road and would take every game at home if that were possible, any fan that says that is not so is lying to themselves and everyone else.

Seeding is another problem. Because the OVC has done so poorly in playoff games since EKU dominated, the OVC can't buy a pre-season top 20 spot. If you do not start out ranked or you start lowly ranked and lose a game or two you are doomed, while a team who starts out highly ranked, loses a game or two may not ever fall out of the top 25.

The only thing I see helping the OVC is to play So Con teams or other FCS teams and get some wins there. Stop playing IA teams (EKU does this and looks like we are going to continue to do so for the next couple of years) and pretty much assures itself 2 loses and other OVC teams stop playing NAIA, DII, DIII teams which do not help at all.

EKU has started out the last number of years with loses to NC State, Oregon, Kentucky (2x), Cincinnati (2x), Vandy and will play both Kentucky and Indiana next year. That is our philosophy, but it sure does not help with rankings.

While I am at it, there is sentiment by many to get out of the OVC, including me.

ekufbfan
October 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
UTM 6-2
Beat Baker Univ (NAIA,DII or III?)
Beat Concordia (NAIA,DII,III?)
Lost to South Florida (FBS)
Lost to TSU at home

EKU 5-3
Lost to Univ of Cincinnati (FBS)
Lost to Western Ky (FBS
Lost to TSU away
Probably means nothing, yet who are Baker U and Concordia?

danefan
October 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
UTM 6-2 EKU 5-3
Beat Baker Univ (NAIA,DII or III?) Lost to Univ of Cincinnati (FBS)
Beat Concordia (NAIA,DII,III?) Lost to Western Ky (FBS)
Lost to South Florida (FBS) Lost to TSU away
Lost to TSU at home

All that means that neither should get an at-large. xpeacex

There are just too many good teams outside the OVC for the OVC to get two teams in.

I don't think anyone but the CAA, Socon, MVFC, or BSC is getting more than their AQ in this year. Top heavy FCS this year.

ekufbfan
October 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM
All that means that neither should get an at-large. xpeacex

There are just too many good teams outside the OVC for the OVC to get two teams in.

I don't think anyone but the CAA, Socon, MVFC, or BSC is getting more than their AQ in this year. Top heavy FCS this year.

Maybe so, but it amazes me how much fans of other conferences and schools THINK they know....

TTUEagles
October 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I agree with most of what you say, ekufbfan, except for playing FBS teams. That's way too much money to turn down. The exposure doesn't hurt, and I think it helps recruiting. I hate the NAIA games, okay with one D-II game (kind of hypocritical if I didn't write that - FBS fans hate the FCS games). If TTU didn't play an FBS games, they'd probably be done as a program --- $$$ is a HUGE issue there in all of athletics.

I would love to see OVC teams play more upper echelon teams from the Gateway, CAA, Southern, etc. I don't think you can really get better unless you play teams that are better - but not "better" as in playing in the SEC, etc. I'm not saying the OVC would fare so well initially, but it really shows what kind of talent you need to recruit to compete nationally.

danefan
October 29th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Maybe so, but it amazes me how much fans of other conferences and schools THINK they know....

xconfusedx
Well no one knows at this point. Everything is speculation.

But we have the same information as the Selection Committee. They don't have some secret info to make the selections.

Saint3333
October 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM
Of course I'm hoping against hope, but isn't that part of what makes life fun? By the way... Appy hasn't always been on top and soon the OVC will be stronger. There was a day when EKU carried the banner for our conference....

ASU hasn't always been national champions, but since 1985 they've been one of the best. Prior to the 3-peat run they had 12 appearances in the playoffs and 5 SoCon championships in 20 years.

EKU hasn't won a playoff game since 1994, I don't believe the OVC has won one since 1996.

I respect both EKU and JSU and hope to see them on our schedule soon, but let's look at the facts here. The OVC isn't getting an at-large selection this year unless at least 4 teams in the Big Sky, CAA, and SoCon implode in the final month.

Maroons
October 29th, 2008, 08:30 PM

While I don't feel particularly strongly for an at-large case for any OVC team this year (I felt differently last year), it seems to me that the selection committee occasionally ignores what the polls and GPI suggests to take a second OVC team before they take a 3rd/4th/5th place team from the 2 or 3 "power leagues." In my opinion, that leaves the door open in 2008 perhaps more than it should be. Still plenty of pigskin to play, however... We'll just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

danefan
October 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM
While I don't feel particularly strongly for an at-large case for any OVC team this year (I felt differently last year), it seems to me that the selection committee occasionally ignores what the polls and GPI suggests to take a second OVC team before they take a 3rd/4th/5th place team from the 2 or 3 "power leagues." In my opinion, that leaves the door open in 2008 perhaps more than it should be. Still plenty of pigskin to play, however... We'll just have to wait and see how it unfolds.

That's true. Last year is a great example of that. Villanova was a much more deserving team then EIU. But the committee took EIU for some reason, most likely to avoid giving 6 bids from the CAA, because there is no other explanation.

So I guess in that sense, there's a possibility.

hawkeye
October 29th, 2008, 08:33 PM
UTM 6-2
Beat Baker Univ (NAIA,DII or III?)
Beat Concordia (NAIA,DII,III?)
Lost to South Florida (FBS)
Lost to TSU at home

EKU 5-3
Lost to Univ of Cincinnati (FBS)
Lost to Western Ky (FBS
Lost to TSU away
Probably means nothing, yet who are Baker U and Concordia?

Who are they? WINS. Next question: What is Auburn and South Florida? MONEY. UTM has beat Tech, Murray and A. Peay on the road. Your road test comes up with SEMO,Murray and then UTM. THREE ROAD GAMES. How bout this, we both try to win the next two and have a hell of a game on Nov 22 @1pm in Martin Tenn. I hope I answered your question.xoopsx

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 08:42 AM
All of the comments are noted and valid. That was my hope in this thread. I just love college football and like some wish we could get the heck out of the OVC.

However, why such disdain for our conference? As conferences are ranked we are in the middle not at the bottom as some would want you to believe. Between EKU & JSU there are tons of playoff wins and at least one national title. I don't care whether it was DII or not. I guess if Valdosta State or North Alabama came on board they would suck too because after all they are not in the SoCon or similar league.

No one on this board ever denies the upper echelon of Appy, JMU, etc. but the other schools on this board deserve some respect.

This message board is dedicated to all of the FCS schools - NOT the select few. I love the jabs, friendly rivialries, opinions, etc. of others, but just because the OVC has not won a playoff game recently does NOT mean they should be overlooked. JSU took Furman twice to the very wire once when they were #2 in the nation and had to win on a time expiring touchdown - you can't tell me that the folks in purple were not at a high
pucker factor. We can play with most anyone.

Now...some of the elitest on the board can fire some more at me and the OVC... xpeacex

MoreheadEagle
October 30th, 2008, 09:02 AM
Perception sometimes trumps reality.
Unfortunately, the OVC's lack of postseason success in football and basketball is hurting the conference overall. The OVC has several pretty good programs, but lack of postseason success hurts the perception of the conference among recruits, fans, and selection committees. Hopefully this will be the year the streak ends.

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 09:06 AM
You are right and I hope so xthumbsupx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 30th, 2008, 09:13 AM
*Delete Post*

MaroonDoom
October 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I do not see EKU leaving the OVC any time soon. I think the programs that are in the OVC should step up & follow what the great Don Corleone said "act like a man!"

hawkeye
October 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM
You are right and I hope so xthumbsupx

Jaxstatealum-Dont let it bother you about comments from others. Keep in mind, many of the bloger jargon comes from a person who has never touched a football field and wouldnt make a mole on a football players *ss. xthumbsupx

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 02:53 PM
xlolx xlolx Thanks!

nmatsen
October 30th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Jaxstatealum-Dont let it bother you about comments from others. Keep in mind, many of the bloger jargon comes from a person who has never touched a football field and wouldnt make a mole on a football players *ss. xthumbsupx

Jaxstatealum, go ahead and let it bother you. I have been on a football field a lot and I don't think the OVC deserves an Auto Bid, let alone an at-large. Let them play in that "gridiron classic" with the Pioneer League or something. Can we give Indiana State to the OVC?

jaxstatealum
October 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
It'd take more than that to get to me. I've been a JSU fan to long xcoffeex

hawkeye
October 30th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Jaxstatealum, go ahead and let it bother you. I have been on a football field a lot and I don't think the OVC deserves an Auto Bid, let alone an at-large. Let them play in that "gridiron classic" with the Pioneer League or something. Can we give Indiana State to the OVC?

Does marchin with the band count? No more smack thats not what its about. Your entitled to your opinion and like buttholes eveyone has one.........most stink.

ekufbfan
October 30th, 2008, 06:23 PM

Of course you are THE expert and you would know....xeyebrowx

1.There have been great football players come out of the OVC and continue on with a career in the NFL (how many years did you play in the NFL?) and I would guess they would say the OVC deserves an auto bid.
2. Since you have been on the "football field a lot", just how many OVC teams have you ever played?
3. I don't know much about UNI, and obviously you don't know much about EKU. EKU has a proud tradition and I don't appreciate your implied putdown for one of the historically best programs in IAA/FCS
4. To paraphrase the UTM fan, opinions are like.... ..... everyone has one...you included.
5. Thank goodness ego's like yours don't get to make that decsion

EKU Pride
October 30th, 2008, 08:45 PM
The past failures of OVC teams to win a playoff game should have no bearing on who gets a playoff bid in that current year. This year's teams of UTM, EKU and Jax St. can't help what OVC teams did in 1985 much less what happened last year. New year, new teams. If the playoff committee declares that an OVC team deserves an at-large bid, so be it. Personally, I thought both deserved the bids last year, but only 1 should get it, this particular year.

Amen! The past performance has nothing to do with current performance. If this was the case then the Tampa Devil Rays would have folded after finishing dead last two seasons ago.

The EKU faithful was disappointed in last year's loss to Richmond, but if that game was played at Roy Kidd Stadium with our fan support, much better facilities and a healthy quarterback, the outcome would have been much different. No disrespect for Univ. of Richmond, but I was disappointed that we didn't get the home game and after arriving at the field in Richmond, VA....the reaction was one of WOW? There were less than 3000 fans in attendance at the game and EKU brought at least 1000. I won't talk about the field conditions, but I was embarrassed for the Univ. of Richmond.

jaxstatealum
October 31st, 2008, 08:45 AM
I'm not sure where the disdain for nmatsen comes from. I guess well before I joined the board. What I do know is this: EKU and JSU both have rich traditions that go back farther than most on this board remember.

I think our fans do a fair job of giving props to other schools when they are deserved. The past is the past - this is a new day. Jabs, and smack talk are a ton of fun, but ultimately a love for the game and mutual respect should be given the thumbs up xthumbsupx

For what it's worth - I still hope the Cocks win out and get an at large bid. Then we will see what happens in the first round.

MaroonDoom
October 31st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Agreed on the facilites. I was suprised the facilities were that below par, but I think that Richmond team would have beat us at either stadium. No direspect for EKU just one fans opinion.

nmatsen
October 31st, 2008, 09:59 AM
Of course you are THE expert and you would know....xeyebrowx

1.There have been great football players come out of the OVC and continue on with a career in the NFL (how many years did you play in the NFL?) and I would guess they would say the OVC deserves an auto bid.
2. Since you have been on the "football field a lot", just how many OVC teams have you ever played?
3. I don't know much about UNI, and obviously you don't know much about EKU. EKU has a proud tradition and I don't appreciate your implied putdown for one of the historically best programs in IAA/FCS
4. To paraphrase the UTM fan, opinions are like.... ..... everyone has one...you included.
5. Thank goodness ego's like yours don't get to make that decsion

To answer question #1, I have no accredited seasons in the NFL. Its a good thing that the NFL doesn't have a say in who makes the playoffs. Funny thing about Playoffs, your golden boy from the OVC Tony Romo STILL DOES NOT BELONG IN THE PLAYOFFS AND CANNOT WIN A FREAKING POSTSEASON GAME! Which leads me to question #3.

I have played against 1 OVC team in my career and it was a game that should have been played at the UNI Dome but for some reason the seed (xoopsx ) was given to EIU. Well, we went in there and beat them proving that even with a seed an OVC could not win a freaking game against an un-seeded opponent.

Storied program? Maybe in the History books. How many playoff victories have you had in the last 20 years? Being a tough fish in the kiddie pool does not grant you a right to go swimming with the sharks in the deep end. So be it, you can beat teams in the OVC, congratulations. If an OVC team goes 10-1 or 11-0, sure let them in the playoffs. But stop giving them Auto bids because a team won 7 conference games and finished 8-3. Especially an at-large.

Your right, my opinion stinks for you, just like my a$$ hole. The difference is, your opinion stinks to me, and everyone else that is in the MVFC, Socon, Big Sky, or CAA.

I appreciate the convo though, it has been fun.

jaxstatealum
October 31st, 2008, 10:04 AM
I'm not sure where the disdain for nmatsen comes from.

Ahhh.... now I understand xlolx

MaroonDoom
October 31st, 2008, 10:44 AM
The OVC has earned there automatic bid, just live with it. Did UNI's ole boy Kurt Warner win any playoff games?

OVC Fan
October 31st, 2008, 11:26 AM
I think the league's best shot for 2 was to have TSU finish 11-1 and JSU be 9-2. That didn't happen with last week's results.

The OVC just needs to have one team finish strong, maybe even get a home game and win a game to improve the league's perception.

But "past failures" in the playoffs have NOTHING to do with who gets and at-large bid. They don't look at things like that, just like the NCAA Basketball Committee doesn't look at previous years champions when determining bids (i.e. why Florida went to the NIT last year).

wkuhillhound
October 31st, 2008, 01:27 PM
Last year and also in 2006.

Only win in the last ten years was by Western Kentucky (no longer in the OVC, or even in FCS) and it was against a MEAC team (no wins in the last nine years)

Western Kentucky vs. Florida A&M xbowx xbowx

then lost to Appalachian State in 2000 what a defensive game that was. I was a junior then. That was also the year WKU won the OVC championship in their final year against Eastern Illinois. Two years later, the National Champions. The OVC could have been mighty if it wasn't for their greediness, but I digress. xwhistlex xwhistlex

hawkeye
October 31st, 2008, 03:27 PM
To answer question #1, I have no accredited seasons in the NFL. Its a good thing that the NFL doesn't have a say in who makes the playoffs. Funny thing about Playoffs, your golden boy from the OVC Tony Romo STILL DOES NOT BELONG IN THE PLAYOFFS AND CANNOT WIN A FREAKING POSTSEASON GAME! Which leads me to question #3.

I have played against 1 OVC team in my career and it was a game that should have been played at the UNI Dome but for some reason the seed (xoopsx ) was given to EIU. Well, we went in there and beat them proving that even with a seed an OVC could not win a freaking game against an un-seeded opponent.

Storied program? Maybe in the History books. How many playoff victories have you had in the last 20 years? Being a tough fish in the kiddie pool does not grant you a right to go swimming with the sharks in the deep end. So be it, you can beat teams in the OVC, congratulations. If an OVC team goes 10-1 or 11-0, sure let them in the playoffs. But stop giving them Auto bids because a team won 7 conference games and finished 8-3. Especially an at-large.

Your right, my opinion stinks for you, just like my a$$ hole. The difference is, your opinion stinks to me, and everyone else that is in the MVFC, Socon, Big Sky, or CAA.

I appreciate the convo though, it has been fun.

Thanks for the response. See it gets under your skin. OVC here to stay. Get used to it. Sorry it hurts your feelings so much. Especially when we get the "at large" bid. Have a good day and dont have a heart attack.