PDA

View Full Version : The Heritage Bowl

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 12:17 AM
-Why won't the NCAA allow the MEAC Champions to play in the Heritage Bowl, and the 1-AA playoffs. They're denying the HBCU conferences the chance to have a true 1-AA HBCU championship game. I wouldn't be against allowing the other 1-AA conferences to organize and play in the playoffs and bowl games. I just think this is lame on the part of the NCAA. If the SWAC and MEAC Champions could meet after the Playoffs in the Heritage Bowl this year, it would be probably be Grambling vs. Hampton. That's such an inviting prospect... sigh.
-Someone give me a legit reason why.

89Hen
November 10th, 2005, 08:25 AM
If the SWAC and MEAC Champions could meet after the Playoffs in the Heritage Bowl this year, it would be probably be Grambling vs. Hampton. That's such an inviting prospect... sigh.
Is there a stipulation preventing this from happening?

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 09:07 AM
-Why won't the NCAA allow the MEAC Champions to play in the Heritage Bowl, and the 1-AA playoffs. They're denying the HBCU conferences the chance to have a true 1-AA HBCU championship game. I wouldn't be against allowing the other 1-AA conferences to organize and play in the playoffs and bowl games. I just think this is lame on the part of the NCAA. If the SWAC and MEAC Champions could meet after the Playoffs in the Heritage Bowl this year, it would be probably be Grambling vs. Hampton. That's such an inviting prospect... sigh.
-Someone give me a legit reason why.

bending the rules is a downward spiral

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Is there a stipulation preventing this from happening?

-Yep. It's either the playoffs, or a post season bowl/ championship game. Can't do both.

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 01:43 PM
bending the rules is a downward spiral

-I'm saying change the rule on that.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 01:55 PM
-I'm saying change the rule on that.

same applies

changing rules to accomidate certain teams or conferences is definitely NOT the way to go

besides, this is I-AA, we do the playoffs, not bowl games

89Hen
November 10th, 2005, 01:56 PM
-Yep. It's either the playoffs, or a post season bowl/ championship game. Can't do both.
Had never heard that. The Heritage Bowl was certainly played in years when the MEAC sent a team to the playoffs. I always thought the Heritage Bowl promoters ended it, not the NCAA.

http://www.onnidan.com/99-00/news/hbwl0210.htm

henfan
November 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM
The Heritage Bowl promoters did suspend it after the 1999 game. The series just wasn't working out financially (i.e.- it wasn't getting the support needed to sustain itself.)
http://www.detnews.com/2000/college/0002/12/02110201.htm

The MEAC also didn't send its champion to the game but, rather, a runner-up who didn't make the I-AA playoffs. In the last year of the game (1999), the MEAC sent it's 3rd place team, Hampton.

Historically, the MEAC has valued the opportunity to compete for a national championship more than its has the chance to compete in a bowl game. I don't see that changing anytime soon, especially as the league continues to grow and improve.

The Heritage Bowl is likely dead into the foreseeable future.

R.A.
November 10th, 2005, 04:03 PM
The Heritage Bowl promoters did suspend it after the 1999 game. The series just wasn't working out financially (i.e.- it wasn't getting the support needed to sustain itself.)
http://www.detnews.com/2000/college/0002/12/02110201.htm

The MEAC also didn't send its champion to the game but, rather, a runner-up who didn't make the I-AA playoffs. In the last year of the game (1999), the MEAC sent it's 3rd place team, Hampton.

Historically, the MEAC has valued the opportunity to compete for a national championship more than its has the chance to compete in a bowl game. I don't see that changing anytime soon, especially as the league continues to grow and improve.

The Heritage Bowl is likely dead into the foreseeable future.

-Unfortunately, that's it in a nutshell :(