PDA

View Full Version : Big South Predictions Nov. 1 (Now with Power Rankings)

ToTheLeft
October 28th, 2008, 01:35 PM
VMI at Charleston Southern

Liberty at Presby

Gardner-Webb at Stony Brook

I know the Big South isn't that big, but everyone else seems to have Power Rankings, so I figured, why not?

1. Liberty (No one even close)
2. Gardner-Webb (Loss to CSU baffles me, they look to be pretty good)
3. VMI (Maypray and Co. are running like crazy)
4. Stony Brook (They didn't look good against LU, but against CCU and CSU they proved their worth.)
5. Presby (They have the offense to scare people...)
6. Chuck South (They did beat G-W)
7. Coastal (Seriously, who would have thought?)

ToTheLeft
October 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
My picks...

VMI by a lot

Liberty by a lot

G-W by a touchdown

jcmanson
October 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Interesting pick with Presby over CSU in your power rankings. I would give CSU the nod over them simply based on their win over G-W. I would probably put Coastal over Presby for now.

ToTheLeft
October 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
The bottom 3 are close... they're all bad. I think Presby's showing against Western is sticking with me and giving me hope for them.

jcmanson
October 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Coastal's really not that bad; they just got caught in a tailspin downward. I wouldn't be shocked if they won the rest of their games or if they lost the rest of them.

kirkblitz
October 28th, 2008, 02:37 PM
it wont be shcoked if we lose the rest of our games either, worst in the nation on special teams and worst in rush defense( when is say worst i mean in the bottom 20 teams) xrolleyesx

keydet71
October 28th, 2008, 03:44 PM
My picks...

VMI by a lot

Liberty by a lot

G-W by a touchdown

I don't believe I am about to do this but I'll agree with these picks, presuming Maypray is healthy. If we have Hughes back that is a plus. And then we get set for what could be an interesting 11/8th in Lexington. Ok, Keydets....don't forsake me now. xthumbsupx

ToTheLeft
October 28th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I think VMI has quite the team going. Defense does enough, offense does a ton. G-W just matched up really well. Chuck doesn't, they can't tackle to save their lives.

Thumper250
October 28th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I'd chose VMI over Charleston Southern due to the Bucs inability to stop the run, but they've had a horseshoe up their rumps at home this year. I'll say Keydets 31, Bucs 30 (missed extra point).

Liberty may run for 500 yards at PC (I base that on my G-W Dogs running for almost 350 two weeks ago.) So LU wins I'll say 50-10.

I'll be honest in that Stony Brook should frighten G-W. Long road trip. A more confident team and two good backs. The G-W offense has gotten on track at the right time, so I'll cross my fingers and go with the Dogs in a hard fought game. Let's say 34-24. Hopefully the Dogs can get off to a quick start again.

And CCU isn't as bad as their record would make you think, I don't think. Lots of off the field turmoil, and young group on defense and a new QB will make things goofy from time to time. This week off is good for that crew down there.

Liberty is obviously the class of the league again, and I would expect them to run the table barring a major, major upset. Elon showed some chinks in the armor last weekend, so 11-1 isn't out of the question for them. It will be interesting to see how the 2009 season goes after LU loses such a veteran group of guys, quarterback and two great RBs in particular.

BJuice
October 28th, 2008, 06:23 PM
VMI at Charleston Southern

Liberty at Presby

Gardner-Webb at Stony Brook

VMI. By 10. It's Homecoming and I hope I am wrong. Based on the performance (or lack thereof) the past two weeks, I have no reason to pick CSU until they decide they want to play some ball. CSU is not as bad as they have have looked the past two weeks and it is time to get it straightened out.

Liberty. By 28.

Stony Brook. By 6.

Seawolf97
October 28th, 2008, 08:10 PM
First Im glad we are in the Big South. Liberty is the cream of the conference but we are pretty evenly matched against our other conference foes. We won two tough games that could have easily gone the other way.
Looking at this Saturday I see another tough one. The Bulldogs have that great game against Georgia Tech under their belts and that alone commands respect. We are pretty much injury free now and our freshman QB is starting to show his stuff. Even the weather should cooperate-the forecast is temps in the low 60's at kickoff and sunny.
I have to pick the Seawolves by 6 but it is going to be good one.

Hoseinexile07
October 28th, 2008, 08:33 PM
We're having so many problems this season. We probably won't win this weekend or any other this season for that matter. xnonono2x

kirkblitz
October 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM
We're having so many problems this season. We probably won't win this weekend or any other this season for that matter. xnonono2x

i expect a lot of points against us with your offense. Another shootout between us i guess

CSU Girl
October 29th, 2008, 10:41 AM
UGh what has happend to our conference???? It use to be so competitive at the top now its competitive at the bottom. UGH

jcmanson
October 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Danny Rocco showed up in Lynchburg, that's what happened. xnodx

Hoseinexile07
October 29th, 2008, 12:53 PM
i expect a lot of points against us with your offense. Another shootout between us i guess

What offense? We've managed to score 28 points or more only TWICE this season, once against a transitional team and another against a D-II squad. I appreciate the props, but our offense isn't anything to be scared of at this point. Sure we can move the ball. We put together nice drives...and then commit a turnover in the redzone and come away with nothing. xsmhx Oh, and our kicking game is almost as effective as a bayonet charge against machine guns.

The Gadfly
October 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Yes, we (CCU) are this bad. No joke.

kirkblitz
October 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
What offense? We've managed to score 28 points or more only TWICE this season, once against a transitional team and another against a D-II squad. I appreciate the props, but our offense isn't anything to be scared of at this point. Sure we can move the ball. We put together nice drives...and then commit a turnover in the redzone and come away with nothing. xsmhx Oh, and our kicking game is almost as effective as a bayonet charge against machine guns.

your averaging 357.88 yards a game. Thats enough to beat coastal, trust me.

you would be ranked 27th in passing in the nation if you werent transitiong.

55th overall

BUT you are last out of ALL teams with yards given up on defense. 499.75 a game!!!

gobluehose1
October 29th, 2008, 06:19 PM
your averaging 357.88 yards a game. Thats enough to beat coastal, trust me.

you would be ranked 27th in passing in the nation if you werent transitiong.

55th overall

BUT you are last out of ALL teams with yards given up on defense. 499.75 a game!!!

are y'all second to last? Not smack just wondering....because if your defense is as bad as ours, then Nov. 15 will at least be entertaining

kirkblitz
October 29th, 2008, 06:29 PM
are y'all second to last? Not smack just wondering....because if your defense is as bad as ours, then Nov. 15 will at least be entertaining

our rush defense is like 98 allowing 190 rushing yards a game

and our overall d is 68 allowing 362 yards a game

link to stat thread(watch for nasty flame war about our **** D coordinator)

SoccerSmells
October 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Kids,

The league's power ratings to this point break down pretty much like this:

1. Liberty (just physically stronger/better than anybody else in the BSC)
4. Stony Brook (had a rough month and a half, old school tough)
5. Gardner Webb (late Sept/early Oct slump stuffs chance at great '08)
6. Coastal Carolina (still growing, and have had a really rough year)
7. VMI (hired the right guy, and are on the verge of competing regular)
T8. Charleston Southern (not as good as they think they are right now)
T8. Presbyterian (they struggle until line becomes recruiting focus)

In terms of potential, Coastal obviously is the main challenger to Liberty's dominance in 2009. If they can get/stay healthy, erase some of those off the field issues and regain a legitimate swagger, they'll challenge.

LU has plenty stockpiled to make another run in 2009, but losing Jennings, Brock Smith (very underrated player IMO), Terrell, Hursky, Hicks, Bolden and several other very seasoned players is hard to overcome immediately.

The rest at this point will have to catch up with those two to have a chance at pushing them out of the way for a trophy.

Thumper250
October 29th, 2008, 06:39 PM
From what I'm told, my 'Dogs have chosen to redshirt some of their best young skill players this year. A running back from NJ (I think) is apparently the best they've had there in a while. Several big OL haven't played yet as freshman either, so that bodes well for the future. I would assume redshirts for them too. I'll be interested to see if Mario Brown gets a med-redshirt as well after playing in just one game. With him back in 09, and as well as the "D" has played most of the year without him, they should be better next season. Losing Dobson Collins hurts though for next year. He was really good when I saw him against VMI. Much better than in the past athletically, and he's always been athletic.

Any G-W folk out there know anything on Brown?

kirkblitz
October 29th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Dont look for coastal to challenge for the title next season unless SERIOUS staff changes are made 3 years in a row weve had one of the worst rush defenses and mediocore overal D in the country. The onle reason we made the playoffs in 2006 was because our offense was #2 in the country, well we arnt 2 anymore.

CarolinaGirl
October 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Kids,

The league's power ratings to this point break down pretty much like this:

1. Liberty (just physically stronger/better than anybody else in the BSC)
4. Stony Brook (had a rough month and a half, old school tough)
5. Gardner Webb (late Sept/early Oct slump stuffs chance at great '08)
6. Coastal Carolina (still growing, and have had a really rough year)
7. VMI (hired the right guy, and are on the verge of competing regular)
T8. Presbyterian (they struggle until line becomes recruiting focus)

In terms of potential, Coastal obviously is the main challenger to Liberty's dominance in 2009. If they can get/stay healthy, erase some of those off the field issues and regain a legitimate swagger, they'll challenge.

LU has plenty stockpiled to make another run in 2009, but losing Jennings, Brock Smith (very underrated player IMO), Terrell, Hursky, Hicks, Bolton and several other very seasoned players is hard to overcome immediately.

The rest at this point will have to catch up with those two to have a chance at pushing them out of the way for a trophy.

That's a pretty good assessment of the Big South overall. With the potential of several teams and the re-establishment of others, the next couple of years should be pretty competitive within our conference. Hopefully that continues to bring the good OOC schedules for all and helps to improve the Big South in the league. xthumbsupx

OLDLCOACH111
October 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM
From what I'm told, my 'Dogs have chosen to redshirt some of their best young skill players this year. A running back from NJ (I think) is apparently the best they've had there in a while. Several big OL haven't played yet as freshman either, so that bodes well for the future. I would assume redshirts for them too. I'll be interested to see if Mario Brown gets a med-redshirt as well after playing in just one game. With him back in 09, and as well as the "D" has played most of the year without him, they should be better next season. Losing Dobson Collins hurts though for next year. He was really good when I saw him against VMI. Much better than in the past athletically, and he's always been athletic.

Any G-W folk out there know anything on Brown?

Last I heard, he will be coming back next year with a medical redshirt...

Seawolf97
October 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
StonyBrook will have quite a few redshirts making their appearance in 2009mostly from the West Coast along with a few transfers. Both Conte Cutino and Eddie Gowins will return along with our QB who will be sophmore in 2009. We also will have a Freshman redshirt at TE who is 6'5 250 with speed.
I expect we will be more than competitive next year.

CarolinaGirl
October 29th, 2008, 08:51 PM
StonyBrook will have quite a few redshirts making their appearance in 2009mostly from the West Coast along with a few transfers. Both Conte Cutino and Eddie Gowins will return along with our QB who will be sophmore in 2009. We also will have a Freshman redshirt at TE who is 6'5 250 with speed.
I expect we will be more than competitive next year.

Seawolf: Please excuse my lack of knowledge on Stony Brook's history. Who do you normally play during the season? Do you have any "regularly scheduled" OOC teams? Stony Brook entered the Big South and played some interesting conference games already, which already makes for an intriguing 2009 season.

Seawolf97
October 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Seawolf: Please excuse my lack of knowledge on Stony Brook's history. Who do you normally play during the season? Do you have any "regularly scheduled" OOC teams? Stony Brook entered the Big South and played some interesting conference games already, which already makes for an intriguing 2009 season.

This year we played home games against Colgate, Elon, and Hofstra. Away we played Maine and Brown and have a Nov 8th game at Iona. Hofstra is our only usual OOC game and since this is our first year as a full scholarship team this type of OOC schedule should be the norm. In 2010 we travel to South Florida,2011 Buffalo and 2012 Army.

keydet71
November 1st, 2008, 03:18 PM
I don't believe I am about to do this but I'll agree with these picks, presuming Maypray is healthy. If we have Hughes back that is a plus. And then we get set for what could be an interesting 11/8th in Lexington. Ok, Keydets....don't forsake me now. xthumbsupx

I should have known better. Hughes was still out, Maypray was hobbled & we fumbled three times for 2 CSU scores....but that is why they play the game.

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 1st, 2008, 03:19 PM
According to these Power Rankings, the last place team just beat the first place team. PC 31- Liberty 28

keydet71
November 1st, 2008, 03:23 PM
According to these Power Rankings, the last place team just beat the first place team. PC 31- Liberty 28

Just my luck since the Flames will come into Lexington really PO'ed. But, VP Cheney will be there for the morning parade so maybe we can call in an 'ol fashion air strike!! :D

jcmanson
November 1st, 2008, 03:25 PM
Just my luck since the Flames will come into Lexington really PO'ed. But, VP Cheney will be there for the morning parade so maybe we can call in an 'ol fashion air strike!! :D

Actually I don't know how our team will fare. I wouldn't be surprised if we came out flat since our goal was the playoffs and that's out of the equation.

ToTheLeft
November 1st, 2008, 03:38 PM
But we are still 3-0 in the Big South, so our other goal of winning the Big South again is not out of the equation. But I wouldn't put anything past this team at this point, really disappointing.

CarolinaGirl
November 1st, 2008, 03:52 PM
Is there a full moon or something? Or is it a little leftover Halloween voodoo? VMI gets beat by CSU, Liberty loses to the Blue Hose and Gardner-Webb is down against Stony Brook! xoopsx
Wow!! xchinscratchx

kirkblitz
November 1st, 2008, 03:55 PM
Is there a full moon or something? Or is it a little leftover Halloween voodoo? VMI gets beat by CSU, Liberty loses to the Blue Hose and Gardner-Webb is down against Stony Brook! xoopsx
Wow!! xchinscratchx

damn why couldnt we play today, we might be winning lol

SoConisMyAntiDrug
November 1st, 2008, 03:59 PM
arent you 3-1 in the Big South? Or Presby still considered an independent this season...

kirkblitz
November 1st, 2008, 04:01 PM
arent you 3-1 in the Big South? Or Presby still considered an independent this season...

independent

OLDLCOACH111
November 1st, 2008, 11:26 PM
Gardner-webb wins 34-33.. QB Campbell throws for 394 and 3 touchdowns..

BJuice
November 1st, 2008, 11:57 PM
Kids,

I read where VMI was going to run all over us, I read where VMI was the hottest team in the Big South.

We (CSU) are "not as good as we think we are right now".

Hmmm...Really?

I said in my prediction that I hoped I was wrong about VMI by 10 and that we were not as bad as we looked the past two weeks and that is correct.

We are just a bad road team.

CSU played great today. This game was never close after we tied it at 7. Two of VMI's TD's were scored off of INT's. One was a pick six and the other was set up by an INT. So, take away those and there is only one TD. Had CSU been able to take advantage of VMI's fumbles (7), the score would have much higher.

Our "bend, but don't break" defense played with great intensity. Ask the VMI QB about how our defense played. In his face all day, hitting him all day, and eventually sending him to the bench. We had a real nice sack on him from the blind side...crushing blow...it was sweet!!!

Oh yeah, how about that double reverse, 50-yard TD pass? Nice!!!

I still say we are #2 in the Big South. Make two more PAT's at Stony Brook and we only have one Big South loss.

It will take performances like today, but if we play our remaining games like we played today, we win out.

Uncle Buck
November 2nd, 2008, 09:05 AM
Gardner-webb wins 34-33.. QB Campbell throws for 394 and 3 touchdowns..

Amazing game, i header over to SBU to watch it with a buddy. How G-Webb ever held Georgia Tech to 10 points is beyond me. SBU moved the ball all over them and the Bulldog defense looked horrible.

Unfortunately for SBU, their defense was just as inept. Also, late in the game SBU dropped a sure pick that could have gone the other way. Even when they had a shot at the last possession, SBU playcalling went in the *****ter. Great game to watch though, very exciting.

BJuice
November 2nd, 2008, 10:23 AM
How G-Webb ever held Georgia Tech to 10 points is beyond me.

It was possible because GT played 2nd and 3rd stringers and probably scaled back the play calling.

justsaying
November 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
It was possible because GT played 2nd and 3rd stringers and probably scaled back the play calling.

The only starter GT did not play was their QB... Who also didn't play against Mississippi state, and Duke

SoccerSmells
November 2nd, 2008, 10:28 AM
So much for power ratings. That PC win might be the biggest upset since the Big South began football in 2002. As for CSU, well, they catch some lucky bounces at home as usual. GWU was lucky to win as well with, from what I've read/heard, some breaks on the road. VMI is so banged up at QB I'm surprised they were able to score 21 points.

justsaying
November 2nd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I still say we are #2 in the Big South. Make two more PAT's at Stony Brook and we only have one Big South loss.

I'd say your not!! You got crushed by Liberty, and beat by Stony Brook... VMI is losing to everybody except the current worse team in the league, and I'm going ahead and calling the Gardner-Webb game a FLUKE!!

SoccerSmells
November 2nd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Any CSU win these days seems to be a fluke. (j/k)xsmiley_wix

BJuice
November 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM
You got crushed by Liberty, and beat by Stony Brook

We got crushed by Liberty because they are better than us and the best team in the league (#1 power rating). If we make two more PAT's we beat Stony Brook and only have one Big South loss.

So, that is why I'm saying we are #2.

If you say our victory against GW was a fluke, then the SB victory over us must have been a fluke.

justsaying
November 2nd, 2008, 04:11 PM
We got crushed by Liberty because they are better than us and the best team in the league (#1 power rating). If we make two more PAT's we beat Stony Brook and only have one Big South loss.

So, that is why I'm saying we are #2.

If you say our victory against GW was a fluke, then the SB victory over us must have been a fluke.

Gardner Webb vs Charleston Southern

FIRST DOWNS................... GWU 23.....CSU 10
NET YARDS RUSHING............. GWU 161.....CSU 37
NET YARDS PASSING............. GWU 310.....CSU 166
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... GWU 471.....CSU 203

Equals Fluke...Each CSU score was when their drive started on GW own 35, 31, and 34

Charleston Southern vs Stony Brook

FIRST DOWNS................... CSU 21.....SBU 19
NET YARDS RUSHING............. CSU 113.....SBU 207
NET YARDS PASSING............. CSU 218.....SBU 210
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS...........CSU 331.....SBU 417
Equals hard fought victory for stony brook....