PDA

View Full Version : WKU-YSU

TopsInDaVille
November 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM
OK fellow AGS brethren, I need some encouragement. The Toppers' last two losses have left me as lethargic as Liberace at a Playboy Mansion party.

Someone pick me up. Someone tell me the Toppers have a chance at the (toasty?) Ice Castle on Saturday. Someone tell me the Toppers can pull one out the following week against an improving Division I-A team. Someone tell me the Toppers have a snowball's chance in Hades of making the Big Dance. Someone tell me that if the Toppers are lucky enough to advance that they won't complete a trifecta of playoff stinkers (Wofford 03, SHSU 04). Someone tell me the Salukis can beat the Panthers and give the Toppers a chance to finish No. 2 outright in the GFC. (God, I can't believe I've gotta root for SIU.)

I haven't checked the site much in the last week. I haven't put together a playoff bracket this week. I haven't even read The Sports Network predictions or read the game notes on WKUsports.com.

I need a sign from above. Please, someone tell me my Toppas still have a chance!

TopsInDaVille
November 9th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Is Lerron Moore going to play?

He's listed No. 1 on the depth chart, though I'm not sure that means a whole lot. Elson said Sunday or Monday that he thought Lerron, given the circumstance, would play even if he's only 75 or 80 percent. I wanted to believe the dropoff from Moore to Willis wasn't so steep, but I think the past two weeks have proven that it is.

The key to Saturday's game, I believe, is that the Toppers HAVE to get off to a good start. They HAVE to have something positive happen in the first quarter - a Dennis Mitchell INT or kickoff return for a touchdown, a 75-yard TD run by Moore, an 85-yard Haddix-to-Perkins TD pass. They need SOMETHING to happen early to shake them out of this funk and make them say, "Wait a minute, we still have a chance at this thing." If YSU scores first, I think we're in for a long day.

Toppermaniac
November 9th, 2005, 10:22 PM
He's listed No. 1 on the depth chart, though I'm not sure that means a whole lot. Elson said Sunday or Monday that he thought Lerron, given the circumstance, would play even if he's only 75 or 80 percent. I wanted to believe the dropoff from Moore to Willis wasn't so steep, but I think the past two weeks have proven that it is.

The key to Saturday's game, I believe, is that the Toppers HAVE to get off to a good start. They HAVE to have something positive happen in the first quarter - a Dennis Mitchell INT or kickoff return for a touchdown, a 75-yard TD run by Moore, an 85-yard Haddix-to-Perkins TD pass. They need SOMETHING to happen early to shake them out of this funk and make them say, "Wait a minute, we still have a chance at this thing." If YSU scores first, I think we're in for a long day.

I look at it like this. We're a better team than YSU. I don't think there's any doubt about that. Does that mean we'll win? No!!! We've been making way too many mistakes, especially on offense and special teams. Those mistakes have to be corrected if we're going to win a big game on the road this time of year. We also need Lerron to play. He's so important to our offense.

FlyYtown
November 10th, 2005, 05:55 AM
I look at it like this. We're a better team than YSU. I don't think there's any doubt about that.

We both lost to UNI and SIU; Both were rather close losses; not blowouts. 2 Weeks ago I thought you guys were the best team in the nation; now I say we are pretty evenly matched; our running backs are both banged up; we're struggling.

The only reason YSU Will win I beleive is the simple fact they are at the Ice Castle. I will have tons of pics. I am excited; but only 12,000 tix sold .. :mad:

Killsback
November 10th, 2005, 10:43 AM
12,000 tickets sold and only 10,500 will show up. I thought you said there would be 19,000 plus at the "ICE CASTLE" for the biggest game in many years. Where are the YSU fans going to be?

Reed Rothchild
November 10th, 2005, 11:02 AM
WKU will crush YSU in this one by at least 2 TD's

ISUMatt
November 10th, 2005, 11:05 AM
12,000 tickets sold and only 10,500 will show up. I thought you said there would be 19,000 plus at the "ICE CASTLE" for the biggest game in many years. Where are the YSU fans going to be?

Watching tOSU at Northwestern on ABC!!!

bigtimetopperfan
November 10th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Hang in there TopsinDaville,

i think if we can even remotely get our stagnant offense started, we have a decent chance of winning this game. It will be cold, but not ICE Castle cold like it has been the last few times we've been up there. Look for a good crowd, and yes they are loud when they are there, but i think our players can handle it.

As for our offense, i hope Lerron is healthly, almost 100 percent, I'd hate to risk further injury to him, especially if we can beat YSU and Fl Intl, and hopefully move onto the playoffs.

GO TOPS!

FlyYtown
November 10th, 2005, 02:30 PM
WKU will crush YSU in this one by at least 2 TD's

Shows the knowledge level of a UNI Fan. I don't wanna hear you guys if you lose...

YSU AT HOME 5-0.. YSU gets the must needed win; I bet 3,000 more tix will be sold or so; I will call the tix office to see how many sold.

That OSU-NW is big for OSU.. Their running back at NW went to Akron Hoban and never was recruited by the Buckeyes; he played last year at YSU vs. Ytown Ursuline which went to the playoffs; Tyrell Sutton had 507 yards and 7 td's/

crunifan
November 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Shows the knowledge level of a UNI Fan. I don't wanna hear you guys if you lose...

At least we will still be here if we lose. ;)

ISUMatt
November 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Tyrell Sutton Mr Ohio in football and soon to be Big Ten Freshman of teh Year!!!

ISUMatt
November 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Im still waiting for that UNI fan to come back that said if ISU beat UNI, he would eat all the crow the world had to offer...that dope has either re-registered under a new name or has never come back cuz hes a dope!!!

Paladin1aa
November 11th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Put me down for --

YSU 20......WKU 17

TypicalTribe
November 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM
YSU favored by 3 tomorrow. Should be interesting.

crunifan
November 11th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Im still waiting for that UNI fan to come back that said if ISU beat UNI, he would eat all the crow the world had to offer...that dope has either re-registered under a new name or has never come back cuz hes a dope!!!

Ohh, that's right, now I remember him. What was his name again? Oh well, even I found him annoying.

PantherMan
November 11th, 2005, 01:43 PM
WKU will win this game in the "Castle". YSU has been exposed the last two weeks. Western has the talent to potentially open this one up big if YSU's offense looks half as bad as it did at the Dome two weeks ago.

WKU 27 - YSU 14.

ysubigred
November 11th, 2005, 01:44 PM

Cap'n Cat?? He's been around :) :lmao:

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2005, 02:20 PM
WKU will win this game in the "Castle". YSU has been exposed the last two weeks. Western has the talent to potentially open this one up big if YSU's offense looks half as bad as it did at the Dome two weeks ago.

WKU 27 - YSU 14.

Sounds like someone is talking a little smack. We played real well last week but the BEST Team in the Gateway won it in the 2nd half. If we were exposed you were too; now I kinda wish I hadn't cheered for you guys to win last week; which you BARELY Won.....

Sanders will get knocked out early; SIU Wins with 30+ points.

MiloCat
November 11th, 2005, 02:29 PM
....which you BARELY Won.....

How did you do last week?

I think WKU wins, but it will be close.

WKU-20
YSU-14

PantherMan
November 11th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Sounds like someone is talking a little smack. We played real well last week but the BEST Team in the Gateway won it in the 2nd half. If we were exposed you were too; now I kinda wish I hadn't cheered for you guys to win last week; which you BARELY Won.....

Sanders will get knocked out early; SIU Wins with 30+ points.

That's hardly smack. Your offense was pitiful two weeks ago. Don't take things so personal all the time. Your team has been exposed the previous two weeks, to say otherwise is foolish. I agree that 5-0 is a formidable home record, as YSU fans have been pointing out all season. Do not let that fool you though, the only quality win out of those 5 Ws is ILSU. Against quality opponents, the Penguins are 1-3, all of the losses happened to occur on the road...

Pantherpower
November 11th, 2005, 03:56 PM
Flytown, how old are you? (no smack)

nmatsen
November 11th, 2005, 04:41 PM

Hey Daryl;
I have posted a couple of dozen times since then, I am right here under the same name as I said that with two or three weeks ago, go ahead. Let me have it, well don't do it Saturday though I will be to busy watching my Panthers win their way to ANOTHER GFC title and a auto-bid to the playoffs.
But hey, your right you really did kick the ***** out of the two best teams in the GFC. Too bad you couldn't beat anyone else! See ya ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

nmatsen
November 11th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Ohh, that's right, now I remember him. What was his name again? Oh well, even I found him annoying.

Lick me where I pee!

skinny_uncle
November 11th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Cap'n Cat?? He's been around :) :lmao:

http://www.cleanfunny.com/i/s/cat-washing-bath-brown.jpg

rabidsaluki
November 11th, 2005, 08:23 PM
This game is just as critical for YSU & WKU as the SIU/UNI tilt. If certain things fall into place we get three teams in the playoffs (a lot of fat good that's done the GFC though the last couple of years). If the wrong combinations happen only two go waltzing... :(

YSU 42
WKU 38 2OT

igo4uni
November 11th, 2005, 09:14 PM
This is a good matchup. I think WKU will win in a close one.

WKU 35
YSU 28

peace

igo4uni

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2005, 09:15 PM
I am well past the age you think.. . Read some other threads you can form the conclusion.. I am a graduate of the YSU though...

Pantherpower
November 11th, 2005, 09:18 PM
No problem Fly. Was just wondering. Seems like you took things against UNI a little personal, that's all. Just a game, dude. ;)

FlyYtown
November 11th, 2005, 11:00 PM
PantherPower. Just a few of your fans have been falsey accusing YSU Fans of stuff the past few weeks since we couldn't beat some teams on the road.

Good News.. 14,000 Tickets are sold; and with temps around 63 and sunny skies; expect a few more thousand to walk up..

Chi Panther
November 12th, 2005, 10:37 AM
PantherPower. Just a few of your fans have been falsey accusing YSU Fans of stuff the past few weeks since we couldn't beat some teams on the road.

Good News.. 14,000 Tickets are sold; and with temps around 63 and sunny skies; expect a few more thousand to walk up..

Should be a great game.....good luck to both teams!!!

ISUMatt
November 12th, 2005, 12:23 PM
WKU 2 fumbles lost turn into 2 YSU TDs...

14-0 YSU

TopsInDaVille
November 12th, 2005, 12:46 PM
YSU 14, WKU 7. Sexton returns a Zetts fumble for a TD. Any YSU fans out there? Even the WKU guys say the refs blew the call, that Zetts actually was throwing the ball. Heacock, apparently, is going nuts.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Wish I was getting this game on TV instead of WIU and Missouri St :bawling:

blackfordpu
November 12th, 2005, 01:07 PM
YSU 21
WKU 7

ISUMatt
November 12th, 2005, 01:34 PM
28-10 YSU

blackfordpu
November 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM
What is going on here? Is WKU just collapsing?

TopsInDaVille
November 12th, 2005, 01:52 PM
We're just not very good, haven't been very good all season. Got lucky to beat Eastern Kentucky. Got lucky to beat Illinois State. Haven't beat anybody else worth a damn all season and have mailed it in the last three weeks.

I'm not up on my I-AA history as much as some of you, but will WKU go down as the worst team ever to be ranked No. 1?

We should!

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Hello.... updates???

ISUMatt
November 12th, 2005, 02:50 PM
42-10 YSU

blackfordpu
November 12th, 2005, 02:51 PM
Hello.... updates???

WKU 10
YSU 42

About 5 minutes left in the 4th.

Hansel
November 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
WKU 10
YSU 42

About 5 minutes left in the 4th.
Yikes, looks like WKU is toast

PantherMan
November 12th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Wow, someone must've lit a fire under those Penguins! Good win for the birds that can't fly this afternoon!

ISUMatt
November 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Way to show up Hilltoppers!!!

Killtoppers90
November 12th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Well, that was less than thrilling! In like a lion, out like a lamb huh? I am not overly impressed with our performance this season - OBVIOUSLY! And it appears that the Gateway has caught up to us in a BIG way. Congrats Pens for the ass-whipping you gave us. An over all COMPLETE game, something WKU has not done all season! Good luck in the playoffs and we'll see you guys next season!

I need a drink!

ysubigred
November 12th, 2005, 04:28 PM
No shame on the Toppers. You all are a very good team. YSU was playing for their coach's job and that's the bottom line. This team's seniors vowed to save it and I believe they at least got him extended. Plus the Guins at home are tough. I wish they played with the same intensity on the road. Oh well, we'll have to wait and see if the selection committee see's it our way for a playoff spot.

Good luck WKU beat the FIU Panthers!! A 1A win will make the whole 1AA crowd feel a lot better :)

Paladin1aa
November 12th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Total domination by the Guins. First time I have seen a QB make a forward pass down field 10 yds ,bounce it into the turf and have a LB pick it up and run for a TD. The Refs in this game are total idiots. Incompetent baffoons.

Excellent win over a decent team. But YSU totally shut down WKU today.

Play-offs -- here we come. :p

wkukid
November 12th, 2005, 05:07 PM
well it was fun reading/posting on AGS. See you all next year. Time to move on to the 42nd ranked in ESPN/USA Today poll basketball team we have.

blah.

Toppermaniac
November 12th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Guess the Toppers' favorite animal this weekend is the good old possum (yes, I know there's an o at the beginning of the word, LOL). Maybe we were actually dead rather than playing dead. Where to start!!!! I know we had some tough injuries this year, but every team suffers through that, at least to some extent. I never thought we were as good as we were ranked, but hey, I'll take it any time. Still, we have a solid team. Frankly, I don't think we ever recovered mentally from the horrible second half performance against SIU and it sent us into a tailspin. Then, we had the game last week against UNI wrapped up and blew it on special teams. I had today's game pegged as a coin toss. Wouldn't have bet a dime either way, but I thought we'd show up and play tough. Obviously, we didn't. The turnovers hurt, but it appears we simply didn't play with any heart today. That does not bode well for the coaching staff, nor does our underachieving team performance overall. I'm not calling for Elson's head, but I would like to see the O coordinator replaced. Horrible, horrible play-calling all year, as I've posted over and over. Congrats to YSU. Obviously your guys wanted to be in the playoffs much more than the Toppers. It's sure going to feel odd not having a vested interest in the playoffs. Oh well, go Gateway. Make up for our pitiful performance this year.

ysubigred
November 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Guess the Toppers' favorite animal this weekend is the good old possum (yes, I know there's an o at the beginning of the word, LOL). Maybe we were actually dead rather than playing dead. Where to start!!!! I know we had some tough injuries this year, but every team suffers through that, at least to some extent. I never thought we were as good as we were ranked, but hey, I'll take it any time. Still, we have a solid team. Frankly, I don't think we ever recovered mentally from the horrible second half performance against SIU and it sent us into a tailspin. Then, we had the game last week against UNI wrapped up and blew it on special teams. I had today's game pegged as a coin toss. Wouldn't have bet a dime either way, but I thought we'd show up and play tough. Obviously, we didn't. The turnovers hurt, but it appears we simply didn't play with any heart today. That does not bode well for the coaching staff, nor does our underachieving team performance overall. I'm not calling for Elson's head, but I would like to see the O coordinator replaced. Horrible, horrible play-calling all year, as I've posted over and over. Congrats to YSU. Obviously your guys wanted to be in the playoffs much more than the Toppers. It's sure going to feel odd not having a vested interest in the playoffs. Oh well, go Gateway. Make up for our pitiful performance this year.

Dude!! You can't win it every year. Hell YSU's been in the ****ter since 2000!! Winning a NC spoils the hell out of ya don't it? Hang in there the topps will bounce back :)

TheGateway
November 12th, 2005, 07:28 PM
I seen this coming from a mile away. After we almost beat WKU and the next week YSU smashed us, that kinda told me who the better team was.

ysuindy
November 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM
I seen this coming from a mile away. After we almost beat WKU and the next week YSU smashed us, that kinda told me who the better team was.

I remember the thread you started on that very subject. And all the abuse the WKU fans heaped on you for having the nerve to suggest such a thing. :D :D

Tough end to a tough season for you guys. I hope Coach West can get things turned around for you. We like to see our Yougnstown area guys succeed, just not at our expense. :)

Toppermaniac
November 12th, 2005, 07:48 PM

I don't buy that. The WKU-INS game was an abberation. We didn't play well, but it wasn't that telling. Hell, look what ISU did to SIU and also to UNI. You can't judge a team based on one performance. I'm pretty sure the WKU players went into INS thinking all they had to do was show up. I would also think the game sent them a message. The bottom line is the poor performance in the second half against SIU damaged the psyche of the team. I have absolutely no doubt about that. We may have also been overrated at # 1, but we have more than enough talent that the past three weeks should have not happened. Pure and simple, our coaching staff did an extremely poor job getting the team ready and calling the proper plays.

galojay
November 13th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Toppermaniac, maybe some crow is what is on your menu. Funny reading your comments. All along you've been saying we are the best yadda yadda, and I warned you about this team.

All season long we've had close games and terrible lapses, praticially giving leads and games away. I knew when we hit this part of our schedule we'd have some problems, and we did. We never fixed our weaknesses from last year, they only got worse. Coach has some real work this off season.

Toppermaniac
November 13th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Toppermaniac, maybe some crow is what is on your menu. Funny reading your comments. All along you've been saying we are the best yadda yadda, and I warned you about this team.

All season long we've had close games and terrible lapses, praticially giving leads and games away. I knew when we hit this part of our schedule we'd have some problems, and we did. We never fixed our weaknesses from last year, they only got worse. Coach has some real work this off season.

I have no idea what your problem is, but frankly I'm getting pretty fed up with you. Here's an idea. Mind your own business unless someone responds to your post. Now to football and what I've been posting for some time now. Most of our problems this year were related to very poor coaching, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I don't know you, dont' know how much you know about football, and have no idea whether you attend all WKU games. The bottom line is this, anyone with any knowledge at all has to realize the offensive play-calling this year was atrocious. Result? Better be a new offensive coordinaor. Special teams cost us dearly as well. That also needs to be addressed.

nmatsen
November 13th, 2005, 12:29 PM
We're just not very good, haven't been very good all season. Got lucky to beat Eastern Kentucky. Got lucky to beat Illinois State. Haven't beat anybody else worth a damn all season and have mailed it in the last three weeks.

I'm not up on my I-AA history as much as some of you, but will WKU go down as the worst team ever to be ranked No. 1?

We should!

My senior year at Northern Iowa (2002) we were ranked #1 in a couple of polls the first week or two and we finished 5-6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should remember that year fondly!

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Here are some of my pics.. http://mc878.photosite.com/ysugame11/

Reed Rothchild
November 13th, 2005, 08:33 PM
Congrats to YSU, you guys proved me wrong and made a strong statement. Now I'm rooting for SIU to beat NDSU so the Gateway can get 3 bids.

FlyYtown
November 13th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Congrats to YSU, you guys proved me wrong and made a strong statement. Now I'm rooting for SIU to beat NDSU so the Gateway can get 3 bids.

If they play like they always do; that will be an ugly win.

galojay
November 15th, 2005, 10:44 AM
I have no idea what your problem is, but frankly I'm getting pretty fed up with you. Here's an idea. Mind your own business unless someone responds to your post. Now to football and what I've been posting for some time now. Most of our problems this year were related to very poor coaching, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I don't know you, dont' know how much you know about football, and have no idea whether you attend all WKU games. The bottom line is this, anyone with any knowledge at all has to realize the offensive play-calling this year was atrocious. Result? Better be a new offensive coordinaor. Special teams cost us dearly as well. That also needs to be addressed.

Don't get all in a tissy. You're the one that was talking smack all season long. When you talk smack, you deserve to be called out on it.I have no idea who you are and don't have an issue with you personally. I just hate to see fans dishing smack out especially when I know it isn't true. I knew from the first game we had some weaknesses and if not improved, this is what would likely happen.

Yes, I attended all the WKU home games and also the Auburn game. I am a season ticket holder. I agree with you, our play calling was less then ideal. We have some fundimental things that need to be worked on. We had too many missed tackles, failures on special teams, and we still have weaknesses in our pass defense. We allow way too many passes on the lines. Our offense needs some mixing up. Elson has a lot to work on this offseason.