PDA

View Full Version : Coastal versus MANSFIELD (D-II)

ngineer
November 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Coastal versus MANSFIELD

You gotta be kiddin' me. :eek: Other than Cheyney, this outfit is like playing the Blind Sisters of the Poor. Failure to win this be at least 42 points will cause me to reconsider whether the Chants belong in the playoffs. Why are you guys playing them?????? :confused: :asswhip: :shakingma :rotateh: :eyebrow: :nonono2: xidiotx :dizzy: :spank:

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Coastal versus MANSFIELD

You gotta be kiddin' me. :eek: Other than Cheyney, this outfit is like playing the Blind Sisters of the Poor. Failure to win this be at least 42 points will cause me to reconsider whether the Chants belong in the playoffs. Why are you guys playing them?????? :confused: :asswhip: :shakingma :rotateh: :eyebrow: :nonono2: xidiotx :dizzy: :spank:

i'm guessing :deadhorse will be used alot in this thread

CarolinaGirl
November 9th, 2005, 09:31 PM
i'm guessing :deadhorse will be used alot in this thread
You guessed that one correctly! We had a team on the schedule originally but they backed out and Mansfield was the ONLY team that didn't have a game scheduled. We looked.....believe that! Aside from the fact that Mansfield knew they wouldn't be playing in the D-II playoffs says it all already. Believe me....WE KNOW!!! :mad:

CoastalFan2005
November 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Why are you guys playing them??????

Because they were the only team in the nation that had an open day, and we needed to put an 11th game on our schedule.

Nobody here is really happy about it, but it is what it is...just gotta move on.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:33 PM
but it is what it is...just gotta move on.

No, just gotta beat them by 70 like you should

phyrbirdphan
November 9th, 2005, 09:35 PM
just win out and hang on ..... CCU's schedule will improve and in your 3rd year you upgraded your schedule a lot this year.

CoastalFan2005
No, just gotta beat them by 70 like you should

This much is very true.

ngineer
You'd probably have a better game by having an intra-squad scrimmage.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM
This much is very true.

Get er dun!

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 09:36 PM
I'm staying the H out of this one. It's just waaaay too easy. Besides, I've got enough Coastals PO'd at me already. :eek:
Not that I mind. ;)

CoastalFan2005
November 9th, 2005, 09:39 PM
You'd probably have a better game by having an intra-squad scrimmage.

LoL...I'm thinking we could probably get a couple of the teams from CCU's intramural flag football league together and combine them into one, give this team some equipment, and get a better game out of them that we will Mansfield.

chantster
November 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
Date was originally set with North Dakota State.

Deal fell thru.

Date was then filled by Tenn-Martin, or Tenn Tech, can't rememeber which.

That deal fell thru.

No other team had an open date on Nov 12th.

Mansfield agreed to play us even though DivII playoffs begins on Nov 12.

This deal almost fell thru because the coaches in their conference were going to strike before the season started.

Personally, I wish we weren't playing this game.

Coastal89
November 9th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I guess we should have scheduled Delta State and Panhandle State like Texas State did. Then maybe we'd be ranked #8 in the Allmighty AGS poll. Some of you never cease to amaze me with your concern over Coastals program.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:42 PM
I guess we should have scheduled Delta State and Panhandle State like Texas State did. Then maybe we'd be ranked #8 in the Allmighty AGS poll. Some of you never cease to amaze me with your concern over Coastals program.

dude, everyone is joking about it EXCEPT you

CHILL

CarolinaGirl
November 9th, 2005, 09:46 PM
why, ngineer, WHY????? Are you bored or something???? :eyebrow:

CarolinaGirl
November 9th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I'm staying the H out of this one. It's just waaaay too easy. Besides, I've got enough Coastals PO'd at me already. :eek:
Not that I mind. ;)
I-AA - Do you hover looking for Coastal threads??? :rotateh: :D

CoastalFan2005
November 9th, 2005, 09:53 PM

Not to be an ass, but if someone makes a comment like that in a discussion thread, then whoever it is addressed to should probably ignore it. Because it's not discussion.

Now, if were in the smack forun, it's a different story. Go for it if the comment is made there.

I know your response was in good fun, but sometimes other people view it as just another reason to start something.

CarolinaGirl
November 9th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Not to be an ass, but if someone makes a comment like that in a discussion thread, then whoever it is addressed to should probably ignore it. Because it's not discussion.

Now, if were in the smack forun, it's a different story. Go for it if the comment is made there.

I know your response was in good fun, but sometimes other people view it as just another reason to start something.
I'm pretty sure the entire thread was meant as a joke!

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 09:58 PM
My prediction:

56-53, CCU wins in triple overtime. :p

CoastalFan2005
November 9th, 2005, 09:59 PM

Yeah, but some have already taken it way too personally, LoL...

Just trying to keep things calm here.

CoastalFan2005
November 9th, 2005, 09:59 PM
My prediction:

Nah...we've gotta go for at least 10 overtimes this week, just to make it interesting. LoL, :D

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM
Nah...we've gotta go for at least 10 overtimes this week, just to make it interesting. LoL, :D

Thats the spirit!!!

(As if we App fans need any more ammunition :rolleyes: ).

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Naah, they're really difficult to miss.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 10:06 PM

BINGO! :nod:

ngineer
November 9th, 2005, 10:10 PM

Don't have any personal knowledge of Delta State or Panhandle. I DO know about Mansfield, and have seen them attempt to play. I think three or four of our top high school teams in the Lehigh Valley could give them a good game.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 10:12 PM

89, you gotta admit, Mansfield is like a lightning rod on the schedule.
But hey, it's one game everybody should get PT in, no injuries for Coastal, (I mean like how could they actually hurt anyone?), and they can just leave the team bus' engine running.

ngineer
November 9th, 2005, 10:18 PM
why, ngineer, WHY????? Are you bored or something???? :eyebrow:

Heh, heh....Actually, when I saw the game on the schedule it just jumped out and bit me. I literally dropped my ....jaw. Didn't do it to instigate a hornets' nest, was truly interested in finding out the reason for scheduling "the Mounties" (wonder what THEIR mascot is??? :D ).
Some of the previous posts have answered that, and now I understand. I was concerned that there was a real interest in playing Mansfield. I gave the same 'rashin' to JMU for playing Lock Haven--which may bite them in terms of preventing them from getting 7 D-I wins this year.

SoCon48
November 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM
Don't have any personal knowledge of Delta State or Panhandle. I DO know about Mansfield, and have seen them attempt to play. I think three or four of our top high school teams in the Lehigh Valley could give them a good game.

I think a little handicapping is in order. How about Coastal gets only 2 downs to make a first (to MU's reg 4), MU starts each drive from the 50, Coastal's TD's only count 3 pts, 2 PAT's needed to get the XP, ummm only Coastal's 4th quarter scores are counted while MU's (if any) are cumulative, Coastal only gets 9 men on the field at a time ( O or D), QB if right handed must throw with his left, and receivers only allowed to use one hand to catch.
That ought to help a little. :D

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 10:41 PM
Do you hover looking for Coastal threads??? :rotateh: :D

WAIT, there are threads about things other than Coastal? WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRD :eek:

SuperJon
November 9th, 2005, 10:57 PM
My prediction:

Ok, I've been needing a laugh all night and this made me legitimately laugh. I know it's a joke, and it's funny. It's completely warranted. But I agree with CoastalFan2005, it'll take more than three OT's. We went into one OT with Gardner-Webb, then we tripled that and went into three with Liberty. With that being said, we'll hafta go to at least 9 this weekend.

And yes, I'm joking. Let's have some fun around here.

SuperJon
November 9th, 2005, 10:58 PM
I think a little handicapping is in order. How about Coastal gets only 2 downs to make a first (to MU's reg 4), MU starts each drive from the 50, Coastal's TD's only count 3 pts, 2 PAT's needed to get the XP, ummm only Coastal's 4th quarter scores are counted while MU's (if any) are cumulative, Coastal only gets 9 men on the field at a time ( O or D), QB if right handed must throw with his left, and receivers only allowed to use one hand to catch.
That ought to help a little. :D

I also laughed at this one. Should we pull in Conway High's team to play this game, AND give them those stipulations?

I think Simpson could do ok using one hand to catch and I trust Hoke to make the PAT's.

How bout TD's count 3 but FG's count six? We'll give Hoke a chance to score some more points, and maybe he can hit a couple 50+ yarders just for good measure.

sceagle
November 9th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Conway High won't want to play because they'll be too crushed about losing to my alma mater Spring Valley on Friday. We at GSU know about playing bad teams. We had Johnson C. Smith last year. That game kept the fans interested for the first 3 minutes, then it got ugly.

TigerFan17
November 10th, 2005, 01:00 AM
You guys do realize the #1 team in the country right now has their next game vs. Iona right? Leave CCU alone, pick on the bully.

rokamortis
November 10th, 2005, 04:24 AM
You guys do realize the #1 team in the country right now has their next game vs. Iona right? Leave CCU alone, pick on the bully.
xprost2x

CarolinaGirl
November 10th, 2005, 06:35 AM

xsmoochx

DetroitFlyer
November 10th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Man, what a bummer. My Dayton Flyers are sitting at home this weekend with nothing to do. A Dayton/CCU game would have been awesome! I had heard that we were going to play Duquesne, but that deal fell through for some reason. Keep us in mind for future schedules. I cannot believe that our two schools missed out on a great opportunity!!

ChantDad
November 10th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I heard David Bennet say Mansfield has been sending e-mails to his players and they are saying how nice they are. Bennet told his players don't listen to that stuff, they are trying to soften you up ;)

I can see those e-mails now..."you guys are so great, please don't hurt us" :D

Jaques
November 10th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Back to reality...if the game gets ugly after the first quarter, what would be a realistic final score and not look like a$$holes?

chantster
November 10th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Last home game of the season.

I'm sure Bennett will play all the nonstarting seniors, walk ons, and players that saw none or limited action during the season.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Back to reality...if the game gets ugly after the first quarter, what would be a realistic final score and not look like a$$holes?

any less than 70 and its an embarassment to CCU

Jaques
November 10th, 2005, 08:06 AM
ok but what if we could get 70 but Bennett pulls it back. I just don't see him wanting to embaress a D-II like that. I could be wrong though... if the third string is moving the ball...keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!

New CCU Fan
November 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
I have to agree with you here Jacques. I'll never forget one of my daughter's junior high basketball games, by the time it was like 40-0 and the poor girls on the other team are crying on the bench....human emotion does kick in. Now I'm not saying these college age boys would be crying, but let's be real about what does happen to a young man's confidence level.

Bennett's a great guy and great role model to our boys. While I realize (as does every CCU coach and fan) that you want your resume to show your team's strength to the best of your ability....he's a gentleman too, and I just can't see him trying to set a score for reputation only. I predict anything more than 4 scores will simply be practice for those that haven't had PT, and after that I don't know what his decision will be on where to put on the brakes.

Guess we'll find out on Saturday!

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
ok but what if we could get 70 but Bennett pulls it back. I just don't see him wanting to embaress a D-II like that. I could be wrong though... if the third string is moving the ball...keep matriculatin' the ball down the field boys!

well, even the 3rd stringers could score 70 on Mansfield, so you can only "pull back" so much

CCU2003
November 10th, 2005, 08:29 AM
Hold up a minute….California University of PA put up 88 on these boys…..and they suck, so screw 70, if we don’t put up 90 + then we’re no better then a mediocre D-II PSAC team…..j/k….I don’t think Coach Bennett would allow that to happen, we’d start taking knees at 60 or 70.

CCU2003
November 10th, 2005, 08:31 AM
The embarrassment would be our defense giving up any points, I mean a fluke kickoff or something is understandable, but if their offense puts it in the endzone? Damn……

xpumpukex

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 09:29 AM
The embarrassment would be our defense giving up any points, I mean a fluke kickoff or something is understandable, but if their offense puts it in the endzone? Damn……

xpumpukex

Against those poor Mansfield girls, I'm not sure allowing them a fluke kick-off would be acceptable.

I say charge only half the admission and let everyone leave after half-time. :o

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 09:34 AM
well, even the 3rd stringers could score 70 on Mansfield, so you can only "pull back" so much

Leaving the first team CCU offense/defense in beyond the first half......of the 1st quarter...would be nothing short of sadistic.

It's quite obvious that this MU team is ONE of the worst to ever play in D-2 and certainly worse than any team any Big South or SoCon team has faced in modern history.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Leaving the first team CCU offense/defense in beyond the first half......of the 1st quarter...would be nothing short of sadistic.

It's quite obvious that this MU team is ONE of the worst to ever play in D-2 and certainly worse than any team any Big South or SoCon team has faced in modern history.

hell, I think Savannah State could beat them by 40

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 09:53 AM
hell, I think Savannah State could beat them by 40

If you consider that the D-2 team that put up 88 on Mansfield (Cal of Pennslyvania) LOST to Monmouth and Slippery Rock this year, 40 by Sav State would be the first quarter margin it seems.
Lose to Monmouth and Slippery Rock and hang near 90 on Mansfield?
Geez!!
Mansfield, what the hell is this?

X-Factor
November 10th, 2005, 10:18 AM
By the way it sounds, a few top JV high school squads could give these guys a good game. I say if Coastal gives up a touchdown, scratch that, any points at all, scratch that, over 50 yards of total offense, they should be elliminated from any distant playoff hopes. ;)

TypicalTribe
November 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Had a couple of minutes of free time and found out the following:

Mansfield beat Cheyney for their only win
Cheyney beat WV St. who beat WV Wesleyan who beat Concord
Concord beat West Liberty State who beat Walsh who beat Olivet Nazarene
Olivet Nazarene beat St Francis (IL) who beat St. Joseph's who beat Tiffin
Tiffin beat Morehead St. who beat St Francis (PA) who beat Cent Conn St.
CCSU beat Colgate who beat UMASS who beat URI who beat W&M
W&M beat UNH who beat UC Davis who beat NDSU who beat Nicholls St.
Nicholls beat Texas State who beat McNeese St who beat Georgia Southern
GSU beat Furman who beat Appalachian St who beat Coastal Carolina

So, you never know what can happen on Any Given Saturday!

SuperJon
November 10th, 2005, 11:34 AM
A couple minutes?

TypicalTribe
November 10th, 2005, 11:38 AM
A couple minutes?

It's not as hard as you think. Work backward from Coastal.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 11:40 AM

90 degrees of seperation eh?

TypicalTribe
November 10th, 2005, 11:49 AM
90 degrees of seperation eh?

I think it was 27.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 11:53 AM
I think it was 27.

i didn't feel like counting

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 11:55 AM
i didn't feel like counting
It is tough for some people. I am totally kidding but you pick on me all the time. Dont be mad... pleaseeeeeee.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 11:57 AM
It is tough for some people. I am totally kidding but you pick on me all the time. Dont be mad... pleaseeeeeee.

i did say feel, nothing to do with ability ;)

Hamptongal
November 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
i did say feel, nothing to do with ability ;)
I know...I know, but it still made me laugh.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I know...I know, but it still made me laugh.

and somehow i knew u'd find humor in it

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Quite true, but you threw out about 90 pts worth of home team advantages, rivalries, and injuries. ;)
The fact that the D-2 team that hung 88 (EIGHTY EIGHT) on Mansfield actaully LOST to Slimy Pebble (Slippery Rock) and Monmouth trumps it all. :D

You're right, you can never tell what can happen on any given Saturday, but still you can't sit around and depend on team bus wrecks either. :cool:

ngineer
November 10th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Against those poor Mansfield girls, I'm not sure allowing them a fluke kick-off would be acceptable.

I say charge only half the admission and let everyone leave after half-time. :o

I didn't realize Jayne was making a comeback. Now THAT would be good game :D

ngineer
November 10th, 2005, 12:23 PM
I've been on the good and bad ends of some blowouts and from my experience, once you hang 40+ on a team (not in a close shootout, but lopsided affair), it aint hard to do another 40 if your want to. Most schools pull back and even then it's tough because the three deeps want to get their film clips,too. But you can pull back certain play calling. I 'd be surprised if CC doesn't score at least 50. How much they want to expand on that ....?

Marcus Garvey
November 10th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Mansfield's football problems stem from its location. It is really in the middle of nowhere as far as PA is concerned. Most recruits for all athletics come from the Southern Tier of NY State. The Northern Tier of PA and Southern Tier of NY are not exactly goldmines of football talent either. High school football in Upstate NY is a joke, with the season lasting about 8 games and is over before Halloween! DII and DIII teams recruit locally, so that just kills the Moutaineers.

I don't know how it is now, but when I was in high school (early 90's), Mansfield's dormitories were well below capacity. Meanwhile, Kutztown, E'burg and Ship couldn't guarentee housing to students. People in PA just don't want to trek up to Mansfield.

bodoyle
November 10th, 2005, 12:43 PM
I think we could drop 80 on them. Hell a high school basketball team here in Chicago won a game the other night 112-2. The starters played 1 quarter.

NGINEER: Why man why? You make me read thru 7 pages of posts. You are making me a massacist for reading these posts. Argh. Good humor though.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 01:59 PM
I didn't realize Jayne was making a comeback. Now THAT would be good game :D

Good one!!! :hyped:

What a babe she was. With her I would have loved to play! (even though i was no more than 12, had to start sometime). :nod:

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 02:04 PM
I think we could drop 80 on them. Hell a high school basketball team here in Chicago won a game the other night 112-2. The starters played 1 quarter.

NGINEER: Why man why? You make me read thru 7 pages of posts. You are making me a massacist for reading these posts. Argh. Good humor though.

112 to 2. Coach should be reprimanded for leaving them in THAT long ( a qtr.) . :eek:

Chicago? My fiance is from Chicago. She lived and worked there for years.
Grew up in the Napierville area. We're gong up to see her Pop, bros/families at Christmas.

SuperJon
November 10th, 2005, 02:05 PM
Well I'm from King, Stokes County, right up from Winston-Salem. You App guys should know where that is, kinda.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Well I'm from King, Stokes County

u mean the boonies ;)

SuperJon
November 10th, 2005, 02:14 PM
No, that's Walnut Cove and Danbury. We've got normal stuff in King. We're the "city" of Stokes County. Better than Yadkin...

bodoyle
November 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
Naperville is a nice area. I am from Tinley Park...aka kTweeter Center/World Music Theater.

I think the score at the end of the quarter was 40-2. That's a nice run. lol The reserves played better defense then the starters! The got the 2 points from the jumpball. They won it, ran down, and got the layup rejected but fouled and hit the 2 FT's.

ucdtim17
November 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM
UCD has a bye this week, so that's at least one team that certainly could have given Coastal a chance to prove themselves and help their SOS

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 02:42 PM
UCD has a bye this week, so that's at least one team that certainly could have given Coastal a chance to prove themselves and help their SOS

seems to me they didn't look too hard

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Naperville is a nice area. I am from Tinley Park...aka kTweeter Center/World Music Theater.

I think the score at the end of the quarter was 40-2. That's a nice run. lol The reserves played better defense then the starters! The got the 2 points from the jumpball. They won it, ran down, and got the layup rejected but fouled and hit the 2 FT's.

I trust it wasn't your old high school with the 2. ;)

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 02:47 PM

That's what they like to say about us playing Kansas and LSU. Never did quite get the drift of the comparison.

chantster
November 10th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Seems to me you're talking out of the side of your ass again.

What makes you so sure UCD wasn't asked?

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 02:50 PM
Well I'm from King, Stokes County, right up from Winston-Salem. You App guys should know where that is, kinda.

Stokes, Yadkin, Surry. Love those areas.
I've had enough of the Charlottes, Raleighs, Atlantas.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 02:52 PM
Seems to me you're talking out of the side of your ass again.

What makes you so sure UCD wasn't asked?

Dayum. Calm down boys. Be :cool:.
Chill.

Hell put LSU on the '06 sched so we can rag your a---es about that for a while. :D

SuperJon
November 10th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Stokes, Yadkin, Surry. Love those areas.
I've had enough of the Charlottes, Raleighs, Atlantas.

I went to Surry CC last year. School wasn't bad at all but I got tired of the 35 minute drive each way.

I love the area but I'm glad to get away for a lil while. I agree about Charlotte though. I've never spent a buncha time there but haven't really seen anything stand out when I was there though.

ngineer
November 10th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Good one!!! :hyped:

What a babe she was. With her I would have loved to play! (even though i was no more than 12, had to start sometime). :nod:

And she was a local girl from the Lehigh Valley. She's buried in her hometown of Pen Argyl, PA with a heart shaped tombstone... :(

ngineer
November 10th, 2005, 09:21 PM
Mansfield's football problems stem from its location. It is really in the middle of nowhere as far as PA is concerned. Most recruits for all athletics come from the Southern Tier of NY State. The Northern Tier of PA and Southern Tier of NY are not exactly goldmines of football talent either. High school football in Upstate NY is a joke, with the season lasting about 8 games and is over before Halloween! DII and DIII teams recruit locally, so that just kills the Moutaineers.

I don't know how it is now, but when I was in high school (early 90's), Mansfield's dormitories were well below capacity. Meanwhile, Kutztown, E'burg and Ship couldn't guarentee housing to students. People in PA just don't want to trek up to Mansfield.

Do I know it. I dated a girl there when I was at Lehigh. She was from my hometown--why she chose to go there, who knows. I hitched up there once--desolate area going north of Williamsport on Route 15. Needless to say that longdistance romance didn't last ;)

Doo Cane 4 ever
November 10th, 2005, 09:25 PM
*************** We had a team on the schedule originally but they backed out and Mansfield was the ONLY team that didn't have a game scheduled. We looked.....believe that!

NOT QUITE.......Duquesne does not have a game scheduled for this weekend. They originally had Dayton scheduled but they backed out. However, this was not a last minute hitch and it was well known that Duquesne were looking for a game for this weekend.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 10:09 PM
And she was a local girl from the Lehigh Valley. She's buried in her hometown of Pen Argyl, PA with a heart shaped tombstone... :(

BTW. I've forgotten where the Lehigh area is. I lived in Chester County and Chadds Ford (Painter's Crossing) for parts of 3 years. Loved PA in general. Miss it.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 10:12 PM
NOT QUITE.......Duquesne does not have a game scheduled for this weekend. They originally had Dayton scheduled but they backed out. However, this was not a last minute hitch and it was well known that Duquesne were looking for a game for this weekend.

I think what Carolina Girl means is that the AD looked real hard until they found Manchester. Then he said HOT DAYUM! and the rest is history. ;)
Now if he had turned it over to Carolina Girl, no doubt she would have found a more formidable opponent. :)

ngineer
November 10th, 2005, 10:31 PM
BTW. I've forgotten where the Lehigh area is. I lived in Chester County and Chadds Ford (Painter's Crossing) for parts of 3 years. Loved PA in general. Miss it.

We're about 70 miles north of the Chadds Ford area. I grew up in northern Chester County, south of Pottstown. The LV is ideally located being any easy drive to Philly or NYC (1 1/2 hrs), 30 min from the Pocono Mts, 2 hrs from Jersey Shore. Have actually become the third largest metro area in PA behind Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

Go Lehigh TU owl
November 10th, 2005, 10:48 PM
We're about 70 miles north of the Chadds Ford area. I grew up in northern Chester County, south of Pottstown. The LV is ideally located being any easy drive to Philly or NYC (1 1/2 hrs), 30 min from the Pocono Mts, 2 hrs from Jersey Shore. Have actually become the third largest metro area in PA behind Philadelphia and Pittsburgh.

I dunno about 1 1/2 hours from Philly. My record from City Line Ave. in Philly (right by St. Joe's) to Goodman is 45 minutes, although i might have been speeding just a little bit :p . Usually it takes me an hour to an hour five to get to Goodman. It would be less if Quakertown hadn't turned into a booming metroplis.

bodoyle
November 10th, 2005, 10:55 PM
9. Coastal Carolina (8-1) vs. Mansfield (1-9)
Time: 12:30 p.m.
Series: First meeting.
Coastal is looking to win its Big South-record 12th consecutive home game. During the current 11-game home win streak, CCU is averaging 40.8 points, while opponents have scored 17.5 at Brooks Stadium ... The Chants are 19-2 in their last 21 games. QB Tyler Thigpen is 91 rushing yards away from becoming the second Big South quarterback with 1,000 career rushing yards. Thigpen is approaching the single-season QB rushing record of 384 yards, as he enters the weekend with 376 yards gained on the ground. WR Jerome Simpson leads the Big South with nine touchdown receptions, and his 17 career scoring catches are second-most in League history. Simpson needs 86 receiving yards to reach the 1,000 yard plateau, which would make him the ninth player in Big South annals to reach the milestone. Josh Hoke has converted his last 54 PAT attempts. Mansfield will play its first ever game against a I-AA program Saturday. The Mounties are giving up an average of 42.1 points per game, while scoring an average of 19.1 points per game.

bodoyle
November 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM
I would put up their stats from ncaasports.com but that's pointless. It can be summed up in saying we are better. And good luck to them next season

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 06:33 AM
9. Coastal Carolina (8-1) vs. Mansfield (1-9)
Time: 12:30 p.m.
Series: First meeting.
Coastal is looking to win its Big South-record 12th consecutive home game. During the current 11-game home win streak, CCU is averaging 40.8 points, while opponents have scored 17.5 at Brooks Stadium ... The Chants are 19-2 in their last 21 games. QB Tyler Thigpen is 91 rushing yards away from becoming the second Big South quarterback with 1,000 career rushing yards. Thigpen is approaching the single-season QB rushing record of 384 yards, as he enters the weekend with 376 yards gained on the ground. WR Jerome Simpson leads the Big South with nine touchdown receptions, and his 17 career scoring catches are second-most in League history. Simpson needs 86 receiving yards to reach the 1,000 yard plateau, which would make him the ninth player in Big South annals to reach the milestone. Josh Hoke has converted his last 54 PAT attempts. Mansfield will play its first ever game against a I-AA program Saturday. The Mounties are giving up an average of 42.1 points per game, while scoring an average of 19.1 points per game.

The more of this stuff I read, the more depressing it gets. It's the feeling ya get watching those starving Ethiopian kids on Sunday morning TV.

The chancellor at Mansfield needs to step in and put those poor guys out of their misery. The program needs to be deep sixed ASAP.

bluehenbillk
November 11th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Without having read this entirely too long thread I wonder why the joke of UNH playing Iona this weekend hasn't been mentioned more?

ngineer
November 11th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Hey, Grambling is playing first-year Concordia College (Selma, Alabama). "They [Grambling State] contacted us and wanted us to come play them for their homecoming," Athletic Director Anthony Robinson said. "So we negotiated a schedule."

While Grambling State is a member of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, Concordia will play as an independent team this fall, with aspirations of joining the National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics.

http://www.selmatimesjournal.com/articles/2005/04/29/sports/local/sports243.txt

CCU's or UNH's game doesn't look that bad now does it?

I still think JAYNE is better equipped than the Mounties... :D

ngineer
November 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM
I dunno about 1 1/2 hours from Philly. My record from City Line Ave. in Philly (right by St. Joe's) to Goodman is 45 minutes, although i might have been speeding just a little bit :p . Usually it takes me an hour to an hour five to get to Goodman. It would be less if Quakertown hadn't turned into a booming metroplis.

Depends from where in the Valley your start point is. It's and hour and a half, at least, from the Easton area because we have no good direct route south. Have to go almost 30 minutes west to pick up the Northeast Extension or even Route 309 before heading south. Your times from City Line to Goodman are ok--I won't report you.. ;) :D

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 07:00 AM
Hey, Grambling is playing first-year Concordia College (Selma, Alabama). "They [Grambling State] contacted us and wanted us to come play them for their homecoming," Athletic Director Anthony Robinson said. "So we negotiated a schedule."

While Grambling State is a member of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, Concordia will play as an independent team this fall, with aspirations of joining the National Association for Intercollegiate Athletics.

http://www.selmatimesjournal.com/articles/2005/04/29/sports/local/sports243.txt

CCU's or UNH's game doesn't look that bad now does it?

Well, yeah, it still does. :cool:

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 07:01 AM
I still think JAYNE is better equipped than the Mounties... :D

By far.

November 11th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Well, yeah, it still does. :cool:You're not being serious. A first year program... no schollies, not even sniffing NAIA yet???

Shame on Grambling for contacting THEM and setting them up for homecoming. :spank:

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM
You're not being serious. A first year program... no schollies, not even sniffing NAIA yet???

Shame on Grambling for contacting THEM and setting them up for homecoming. :spank:

1. Looks like Grambling was in a bind for a 4th home game (and Homecoming to boot!).

2. Grambling isn't jockeying for a spot in the play-offs. So this one won't be padding the schedule for that purpose.

3. The diff between this stiff and Manchester can't be that much. I mean Geez. A LOSING D-2 ran up 88 on them.

4. Who contacted whom? Irrelevant as far as I can see.

You left out the fact that Concordia, like Grambling is a fellow HBC school. Located just up the road in Selma, Alabama. 75 years old. I imagine there are many obvious historical traditional connections between the two historically black schools. Likely have played in the non rev sports.
And Geez, it's homecoming.

AppGuy04
November 11th, 2005, 07:24 AM
You're not being serious. A first year program... no schollies, not even sniffing NAIA yet???

Whats the point? Its called padding stats, enough said. Bruce is a fraud. Not really, but damn, come on.

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 07:30 AM

And Manchester ain't sniffin' nuttin.
Just pitiful.

I bet, too, Concordia would give manchester a run for their money. Hell, anybody could. My niece's flag football team.

ASU Kep
November 11th, 2005, 07:34 AM
As an alumni, is it really that appealing to come back just to see your school win a worthless match-up with a worthless opponent? At least we here at App had a very respectable UTC this year for ours (who BEAT us last year), but I'd predict right now that more alums will be there this weekend for WCU...because it MEANS something, especially this year with the SOCON crown, playoff birth, potential playoff seed, and REVENGE on the line. And we REALLY want that jug back...especially for older alums, it's THE game, and I like it that way. Which would you rather come home for? App St. vs. Bum F--k Nowhere College or JUG RECLAIMATION DAY? If I lived 7 hours away, I'd be one hell of an easy choice.

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 07:41 AM
As an alumni, is it really that appealing to come back just to see your school win a worthless match-up with a worthless opponent? At least we here at App had a very respectable UTC this year for ours (who BEAT us last year), but I'd predict right now that more alums will be there this weekend for WCU...because it MEANS something, especially this year with the SOCON crown, playoff birth, potential playoff seed, and REVENGE on the line. And we REALLY want that jug back...especially for older alums, it's THE game, and I like it that way. Which would you rather come home for? App St. vs. Bum F--k Nowhere College or JUG RECLAIMATION DAY? If I lived 7 hours away, I'd be one hell of an easy choice.

I dunno.
1. Weather not as perfect.
2. Not homecoming
3. Rivalry aspect has slipped a bit in recent years
4. Play- off spot not as exciting to many App fans as elsewhere (although a taste of sitting home recently will help some)
5. A lot depends on how many walk-ups WCU provides.

I'm guessing we break 20K-21K but that's about it. Record vs WCU is only 22.6 and that was an opening game of that season.
I would love to see 24-25K, though.

AppGuy04
November 11th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I dunno.
1. Weather not as perfect.
2. Not homecoming
3. Rivalry aspect has slipped a bit in recent years
4. Play- off spot not as exciting to many App fans as elsewhere (although a taste of sitting home recently will help some)
5. A lot depends on how many walk-ups WCU provides.

I'm guessing we break 20K-21K but that's about it. Record vs WCU is only 22.6 and that was an opening game of that season.
I would love to see 24-25K, though.

If this cold front didn't move in, we would have I think

ASU Kep
November 11th, 2005, 07:51 AM
1) It was freakin' cold for homecoming. I was just wearing my Richie jersey and once the sun went down, it was freezing. I was literally the only person in the stadium dumb enough to not bring a jacket. I think half of our enhancement campaign could of bbeen funded by the amount of hot chocolate they were selling...

2) True, but thats my argument.

3) Maybe true, but from older alums all you ever hear them talk about is WCU. I honestly think most of em would rather see us with the jug than a NC. Record wise, yes, we've dominated WCU but it really wasn't that much different back in '78 when the jug originated. We won the first three, we've gone on a 13-streak, and they havn't beaten us at home since '84. But the BEAT US last year.

4) After two years of not going, I think our sense of playoff-entitlement is about gone.

5) WCU sold out of it's ticket allotment almost a week ago and according to the MMB, and they've been buying oodles more from our ticket office. WCU will be there.

ASU Kep
November 11th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Oh, and did you see my post about if we put 25k and change into KBS, we'll have this seasons leading I-AA attendance? Montana has us by like a thousand right now, but they're last two game are on the road. With all the help from WCU, it's more than possible.

SuperJon
November 11th, 2005, 07:55 AM
How did this go from Coastal/Mansfield (not Manchester) to Grambling to ASU/Western? Explain that one.

AppGuy04
November 11th, 2005, 08:07 AM
How did this go from Coastal/Mansfield (not Manchester) to Grambling to ASU/Western? Explain that one.

Any Given....oh forget it, it happens all the time :D

Just like random threads turn into ASU vs Coastal

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Oh, and did you see my post about if we put 25k and change into KBS, we'll have this seasons leading I-AA attendance? Montana has us by like a thousand right now, but they're last two game are on the road. With all the help from WCU, it's more than possible.

Certainly hope so!!!!

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 08:14 AM

Careful, there, sonny. The moderator, Ralph, started the Grambling-Concordia part. :eek:

But, I see his analogy. Six of one--half dozen of the other IMOP. :D

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 08:25 AM
1) It was freakin' cold for homecoming. I was just wearing my Richie jersey and once the sun went down, it was freezing. I was literally the only person in the stadium dumb enough to not bring a jacket. I think half of our enhancement campaign could of bbeen funded by the amount of hot chocolate they were selling...

2) True, but thats my argument.

3) Maybe true, but from older alums all you ever hear them talk about is WCU. I honestly think most of em would rather see us with the jug than a NC. Record wise, yes, we've dominated WCU but it really wasn't that much different back in '78 when the jug originated. We won the first three, we've gone on a 13-streak, and they havn't beaten us at home since '84. But the BEAT US last year.

4) After two years of not going, I think our sense of playoff-entitlement is about gone.

5) WCU sold out of it's ticket allotment almost a week ago and according to the MMB, and they've been buying oodles more from our ticket office. WCU will be there.

1. I bought 4 HChoc's at one time for my fiance and I. Better than a cold beer in August. Sure hated to see the sun move and the shadow deecend over the home stands. I was OK except for that cold aluminum bleacher against my hiney.
2. It could happen. Maybe this is what AD. Cobb meant when he said every game should be like homecoming.
3. You're right about us old timers, but we're slowly ecoming extinct. The young crowds from W-S and Charlotte has to furnish the numbers. Losing last year should help as you say!
4. Ditto.
5. Right again, cept the original allotment is very small. But I'd love nothing better than to see the East Side all Purple and the home side all B&G! And of course the banks..all 3 covered in more B&G!
What a buzz that would be! :hyped: :hyped:

The crowd would be great, but the main thing would be to see a big ASU :asswhip: put on the Cats.

TypicalTribe
November 11th, 2005, 10:11 AM

Letely, it seems like every thread ends up involving ASU somehow.

rokamortis
November 11th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Letely, it seems like every thread ends up involving ASU somehow.

Kind of like Delaware last year - or at least that's how I remember it.

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 10:38 AM
Kind of like Delaware last year - or at least that's how I remember it.

Truer words have never been spoken. Normally the Griz monopolize, too, but they've gotten so accustomed to winning that they've lost a bit of their excitement.
The Del Hens are just so jealous of a few of us upstarts, that they have to lay on a little dissing lately. They'll get over it.
The GSU'ers are having to sit around and pray for others to lose so they get a bubble shot. At least they took care of the Furmies for the Apps last week.
Some of us Apps are hesitant to predict much with WCU and Elon still chomping at the bits to knock us out. Other Apps are fighting to see who can make the most exaggerated win predictions.

Marcus Garvey
November 11th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Do I know it. I dated a girl there when I was at Lehigh. She was from my hometown--why she chose to go there, who knows. I hitched up there once--desolate area going north of Williamsport on Route 15. Needless to say that longdistance romance didn't last ;)

I used to take Rt. 15 north out of Williamsport on my way to Alfred Univ. From there I'd usually take NY Rt. 417 and back county routes in. I always found it faster than taking the NE Extension and Rt. 17 (now I-86). 10 years ago, Rt 15 was being widened as part of a North-South 4 lane throughway from Maryland to Central NY State. Parts of US 220 and other highways were being widened for the route. The 2 lane sections around Mansfield SUCKED! I used to get stuck behind trailers doing 45 in a 55 zone for miles....

Weird coincidence: I have a co-worker who grew up in Wellsboro.

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM
How did this go from Coastal/Mansfield (not Manchester) ............

Manfred, Manchester, Manheim, Mansfield. What the hell, no one's ever heard of any of them anyway.
But there's a good chance they will. Their name may be in the record book after Sat.
Wouldn't bet against half the MU team walking off the field before half time.

ngineer
November 11th, 2005, 11:44 AM
I used to take Rt. 15 north out of Williamsport on my way to Alfred Univ. From there I'd usually take NY Rt. 417 and back county routes in. I always found it faster than taking the NE Extension and Rt. 17 (now I-86). 10 years ago, Rt 15 was being widened as part of a North-South 4 lane throughway from Maryland to Central NY State. Parts of US 220 and other highways were being widened for the route. The 2 lane sections around Mansfield SUCKED! I used to get stuck behind trailers doing 45 in a 55 zone for miles....

Weird coincidence: I have a co-worker who grew up in Wellsboro.

Home to the 'Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania' :rolleyes: It is beautiful country, though. No question the deer population exceeds the people.

ngineer
November 11th, 2005, 11:47 AM

Maybe some slight confusion between Mounties and Mountaineers? :D
Will Mansfield come in to the tune of Dudley Do-Right from the ol' Rocky 'n Bullwinkle ;) days?

rokamortis
November 11th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Truer words have never been spoken. Normally the Griz monopolize, too, but they've gotten so accustomed to winning that they've lost a bit of their excitement.
The Del Hens are just so jealous of a few of us upstarts, that they have to lay on a little dissing lately. They'll get over it.
The GSU'ers are having to sit around and pray for others to lose so they get a bubble shot. At least they took care of the Furmies for the Apps last week.
Some of us Apps are hesitant to predict much with WCU and Elon still chomping at the bits to knock us out. Other Apps are fighting to see who can make the most exaggerated win predictions.

Nothing against the hens by my comment - they just seemed to be all over this place last year. They were harsh on us last year but so was everyone else and we deserved to be shown the error of our ways. For the most part they seem to be giving us the benefit of the doubt this year.

Marcus Garvey
November 11th, 2005, 11:57 AM
Home to the 'Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania' :rolleyes: It is beautiful country, though. No question the deer population exceeds the people.

Yes indeed... I bought deer whistles for the car just to be on the safe side. I never had a deer run out in front of me, though I can't say for cetain that the whistles were responsible for that.

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Maybe some slight confusion between Mounties and Mountaineers? :D
Will Mansfield come in to the tune of Dudley Do-Right from the ol' Rocky 'n Bullwinkle ;) days?

Semantically only. I don't think the Coastal crowd will get the two teams mixed up. ;)

Tune? Maybe in to a ManHEIM Steam Roller classic, 'cause that's exactly what they're going to feel like when the Shonts get through with their hapless butts.
I'm starting to feel very sorry for them. Have to be nice guys. They certainly play like it. :(

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 02:30 PM
Nothing against the hens by my comment - they just seemed to be all over this place last year. They were harsh on us last year but so was everyone else and we deserved to be shown the error of our ways. For the most part they seem to be giving us the benefit of the doubt this year.

Me either, but unless their great traditional attendance, numerous winning seasons, Nat Championship, great stadium, superior academics, etc are routinely acknowledged, they get pretty darn testy.

Jaques
November 11th, 2005, 08:42 PM
ok...so i've completely forgotten what this thread was dealing with...but my family has a place in Blowing Rock...so, IF CCU makes the playoffs and IF we travel to Boone..................party at my place afterwards!!!!!! :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :anim_chai xpumpukex

rokamortis
November 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM
ok...so i've completely forgotten what this thread was dealing with...but my family has a place in Blowing Rock...so, IF CCU makes the playoffs and IF we travel to Boone..................party at my place afterwards!!!!!! :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :hyped: :hyped: :hyped: :anim_chai xpumpukex

I'm there!

:bow:

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 08:55 PM

Why would you want to party after you get your clock cleaned again?? :( :bawling: :splat:

CarolinaGirl
November 11th, 2005, 09:02 PM
I think what Carolina Girl means is that the AD looked real hard until they found Manchester. Then he said HOT DAYUM! and the rest is history. ;)
Now if he had turned it over to Carolina Girl, no doubt she would have found a more formidable opponent. :)
Thaaaaat's right! ;)

CarolinaGirl
November 11th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Semantically only. I don't think the Coastal crowd will get the two teams mixed up. ;)

Tune? Maybe in to a ManHEIM Steam Roller classic, 'cause that's exactly what they're going to feel like when the Shonts get through with their hapless butts.
I'm starting to feel very sorry for them. Have to be nice guys. They certainly play like it. :(
there was an article in the paper the other day that said that Mansfield players were e-mailing our players sucking up about how good we were and how excited they were to come down and play us. And "where are we all going to go hang out after the game??" Trying a little buttering up so we don't beat them down too bad?? xlolx

SoCon48
November 11th, 2005, 09:34 PM
there was an article in the paper the other day that said that Mansfield players were e-mailing our players sucking up about how good we were and how excited they were to come down and play us. And "where are we all going to go hang out after the game??" Trying a little buttering up so we don't beat them down too bad?? xlolx

It won't work. Even if your third string tried not to run it up, the Manchester stiffs wouldn't be able to stop them.

CoastalFan2005
November 11th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Yeah...one of our DB's apparently told Coach Bennett that Mansfield's QB was "a pretty nice guy." LoL

November 11th, 2005, 09:37 PM
... so we don't beat them down too bad?? xlolxYou're not happy about playing Mansfield are you?? :confused:

CoastalFan2005
November 11th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I'm certainly not...I mean, yay, another W...but come on.

I think we had NDSU scheduled for this date. That would have been very much preferable, IMHO.

Like I've said before, I'm pretty sure most of the high school squads here in the county could give us a better game.

Jaques
November 12th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Why would you want to party after you get your clock cleaned again?? :( :bawling: :splat:

Because...it would be fun?...You're invited :nod:

Tod
November 12th, 2005, 05:30 PM
You're not happy about playing Mansfield are you?? :confused:

Ralph, aren't you at the UNI/SIU game??

ngineer
November 12th, 2005, 09:11 PM
What were your thoughts when Jayne went up 8-0 on ya today? AGS?
Good to see it didn't rattle anyone ;)

rokamortis
November 12th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Thought was WTF?

We were playing like we expected them to rollover and they came out swinging. They had nothing to lose and took some risks and I don't think we expected them to play like that. They went for it on 4th. Went for 2 point conversion. Called a fake punt. They just played balls out. But I think we made up for that first score. :D

Coastal89
November 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM
That sucked but we answered with 8 on the next drive. One good thing about today, CCU got 83 players into the game. The subs scored 42 of our points after the starters were pulled about 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. It could have been a lot worse if Bennett had wanted.

ngineer
November 12th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Hey, Jayne was always good at surprise 'scoring' ;) :D (But nothing about her was fake!) :eek:

SoCon48
November 12th, 2005, 11:36 PM

You are kidding, aren't you?? Must have been a trick play. I bet Coach Bennet heard air raid sirens going off in his head. :(

ngineer
November 13th, 2005, 08:41 AM
You are kidding, aren't you?? Must have been a trick play. I bet Coach Bennet heard air raid sirens going off in his head. :(

You must not have noticed the smiley....

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 11:16 AM
You must not have noticed the smiley....

Actually, I got in so late coming back from the game..ol' smiley flew right over my head when I read your post. :nod: Note the time on my post. I drove over 300 miles RT yesterday.

My sincere apology!
In hindsight, it was quite a humorous post.

SoCon48
November 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
That sucked but we answered with 8 on the next drive. One good thing about today, CCU got 83 players into the game. The subs scored 42 of our points after the starters were pulled about 5 minutes into the 2nd quarter. It could have been a lot worse if Bennett had wanted.

83 players getting PT sheds a whole 'nother light on the subject. It was sincerely much more valuable than an intra-squad scrimmage...especially for some walk-on seniors, etc. :beerchug: