PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Logjam

Kill'em
November 9th, 2005, 08:32 PM
Picture this, if Western Carolina beats App. St, and all else remains the same, there would be 4 teams at the top of the SoCon... with 2 losses. GSU holds the tiebreaker and would get the automatic bid. Who else would go?
App St: (7-4) Beat GSU and lost to two I-A teams. Lost to Furman and Western Carolina
Furman: (9-2) Held #1 spot for one week and beat App. St. Lost to GSU and Western Carolina.
Western Carolina: (7-2 ?) Beat both Furman and App. St. Lost big to GSU and mother nature.

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Yah, only problem with that is WCU still has to beat App...and thats a pretty serious problem. You have no idea how jacked this campus is...we've even got a huge blow-up Yosef with a big "BEAT WESTERN" sign sittin right smack dab in the middle of campus...KBS will be NUTS on sat, our football team is looking to get back on track after LSU and create some serious post-season momentum.

Mr. C
November 9th, 2005, 09:03 PM
It's been 21 years since WCU has won a game in Boone and the Catamounts have won only twice in the past 20 years anywhere. Also, this is the best ASU team since the Mountaineers made the semifinals in 2000. The big edge Appalachian has is in its balance on offense. Both teams have great defenses, but WCU has been erratic on offense, particularly with quarterback Justin Clark. ASU has a 14-game winning streak at KBS for a reason. I don't see the Catamounts stopping that streak.

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:19 PM
man, there have been alot of IF's already this week

but I have yet to hear a convincing argument that WCU can beat ASU

please enlighten me Cat fans

GoGSU
November 9th, 2005, 09:24 PM
ain't gonna happen...............App beats WCU by 21...easily..

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 09:32 PM
man, there have been alot of IF's already this week

but I have yet to hear a convincing argument that WCU can beat ASU

please enlighten me Cat fans

The entire population of Boone, NC comes down with the AVIAN BIRD FLU!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:34 PM
The entire population of Boone, NC comes down with the AVIAN BIRD FLU!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

thats not convincing, thats something out of a movie

ASU Kep
November 9th, 2005, 09:37 PM
a GIANT METEOR strikes Boone, NC and wipes out the football team? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AppGuy04
November 9th, 2005, 09:40 PM
a GIANT METEOR strikes Boone, NC and wipes out the football team? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

just the football team???? hmmmm, I'll have to get back to you on that one

Maybe it would spare Rauch and we win 3-0 after he clanks a field goal off the goal posts and in while time expires

Eaglegus2
November 9th, 2005, 11:04 PM
My money is on App State. :nod: :D

Baldy
November 10th, 2005, 12:12 AM
Nobody thought JMU would lose to Coastal or Furman would lose by 20 to WCU or W&M would lose to Rhode Island or UCD would beat Stanford. I also remember hearing App would beat Chatt 50 whatever to 7. It didn't happen.

It doesn't matter how jacked-up your fans are, how big the crowd is, etc. If Western is ready to play and execute their gameplan, they could very well win this game and there isn't anything App fan can do about it.

blueballs
November 10th, 2005, 08:08 AM
ASU by at least 3 scores.

AppGuy04
November 10th, 2005, 08:15 AM
Nobody thought JMU would lose to Coastal or Furman would lose by 20 to WCU or W&M would lose to Rhode Island or UCD would beat Stanford. I also remember hearing App would beat Chatt 50 whatever to 7. It didn't happen.

but you have to agree that when App decided to start playing against Chatty, they pulled away

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM
just the football team???? hmmmm, I'll have to get back to you on that one

Maybe it would spare Rauch and we win 3-0 after he clanks a field goal off the goal posts and in while time expires

...and saves spot on the roster for '06.

SoCon48
November 10th, 2005, 10:00 AM

It doesn't matter how jacked-up your fans are, how big the crowd is, etc. If Western is ready to play and execute their gameplan, they could very well win this game and there isn't anything App fan can do about it.

The way Furman had been laying the ball around on the field and giving up points and as heralded as WCU's defense was starting to be, it was no surprise to many.
As to Chatt, most ASU predictions were MUCH more realistic than 40+ considering Chatt had BEATEN ASU last year.

In hindsight, looking at JMU's performance since then, Coastal's ambush of the Dukes was certainly no upset. At the time, we were all snowed by JMU's 2004 run to the title.

WCU is ALWAYS jacked up for App, that's a given. Question is can ASU score enough on WCU's defense (GSU certainly did..45 pts) and can WCU score at all on ASU's defense? Missed coverages on WCU's receivers, a break out game by Fudge, or the trackster running one or more back will be the real hope for WCU.

The SoCon head of officials, WCU grad Don Lucas will be sitting in the stands. So ASU can be wary of the reffing. Look for holding calls 40 yds from the runner crossing the goal line..thrown only after he steps across the goal line. Won't be the first time.

Appdad
November 10th, 2005, 10:28 AM
"The SoCon head of officials, WCU grad Don Lucas will be sitting in the stands. So ASU can be wary of the reffing. Look for holding calls 40 yds from the runner crossing the goal line..thrown only after he steps across the goal line. Won't be the first time."

If he is, I would expect to see one of the top crews working like what we had for the App/GSU game and I would expect to see a lot of talking by the refs to players early vs throwing flags in the trenches to avoid penalties. Maybe a couple of early flags and talking to "set the tone". The crew will be trying to ref by "feel for the game" and I would be surprised to see a call made on contact that is away from the play.

The refs want to move up the ref ladder to get more ACC/SEC type games so IMHO they will try to ref it like Georgia vs GT.

They won't put up with showing off to the crowd, etc. Touchstone...watch out.

soweagle
November 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Is App/WCU on t.v.?

Appdad
November 10th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Is App/WCU on t.v.?

Yep on Comcast. You get that down in the Georgia flatland?

soweagle
November 11th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Not my part of Georgia.

ASUSoCon
November 11th, 2005, 09:44 AM
ASU fans will not be happy with the crew of officials for this game.

AppGuy04
November 11th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Don't have it here either(Raleigh) but I'll be there, so don't matter to me

GaSouthern
November 11th, 2005, 10:25 AM
I vote for appy, but I dont care who wins, I do really want to watch this game on TV though. I hope its on fox or CSS!