PDA

View Full Version : MVFC Power Rankings this week

Khan4Cats
October 28th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Some changes,

1) Southern Illinois (5-2, 4-1): Have complete control of path towards the auto-bid. Win out and it's theirs. Still have to play WIU and SDSU, but both at home. Danger game this week as Coach Lennon hosts his old school, its a non-counter but a loss here will blow a huge hole in any at-large hopes.

2) Northern Iowa (6-2, 4-1): Have next best chance at auto-bid. Win out and they have two decent chances for SIU to lose and claim the auto-bid. Big, big game against WIU this week. Lose and its a win out and put it in the hands of the committee situation, one that has never come out good for UNI.

3) Western Illinois (5-2, 3-1): Back-to-back games start this week against UNI and SIU. Win out and root for SIU to beat SDSU to gain auto-bid. Lose one and they are likely in the hands of the committee.

4) South Dakota State (4-4, 3-1): At-large hopes are slim to none, but can win auto-bid by winning out and rooting for a WIU win over UNI. The last might be easier than the first as they finish at SIU and at NDSU.

5) North Dakota State (4-4, 2-3): I give them the edge over the Bears because they have already played 3 of the top 4, and have SDSU at home. They also get Indiana State followed by a bye week to prepare for the Bears. Can get the auto by winning out, having UNI lose out, having WIU lose their last three after beating UNI, have SIU lose their last two after beating WIU, and having SDSU lose to either MSU or IlSU. Yeah, right.

6) Missouri State (3-4, 2-2): Thought about putting them at 5 since they have an outside shot (way outside) of claiming the auto-bid. They would have to win out and have SIU and WIU both lose two more games, I think that would give them the auto with tie-breakers over SDSU and UNI head-to-head.

7) Illinois State (2-5, 1-3): Give them the slight edge over YSU because they host them this week. Probably have a chance still at the auto-bid, but it's so far out there that it's not likely to happen. Kind of like predicting Tampa Bay to make the World Series despite never having a winning season in franchise history (hey, trying to toss the 'Birds some crackers here.)

8) Youngstown State (2-7, 1-4): Loss to UNI eliminated them from auto-bid chances. Showed they still had some fight, providing Summers stays healthy. May be fighting for Heacock's job, may be just playing out the season from here.

9) Indiana State (0-8, 0-4): Hey, they still get Youngstown, might move up? No.

My thoughts are that the MVFC will get two teams unless there is some kind of implosion. Three is an outside possibility, but there would have to be some serious shake-ups in some of the other conferences. 1 is more likely than 3, as it would mean UNI had the auto-bid, (in which case WIU, SIU or both would have at best 7 D-I wins, SDSU could get to 8, but would be 8-4 and not sure how that would play out).

Houndawg
October 28th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Some changes,

1) Southern Illinois (5-2, 4-1): Have complete control of path towards the auto-bid. Win out and it's theirs. Still have to play WIU and SDSU, but both at home. Danger game this week as Coach Lennon hosts his old school, its a non-counter but a loss here will blow a huge hole in any at-large hopes.

2) Northern Iowa (6-2, 4-1): Have next best chance at auto-bid. Win out and they have two decent chances for SIU to lose and claim the auto-bid. Big, big game against WIU this week. Lose and its a win out and put it in the hands of the committee situation, one that has never come out good for UNI.

3) Western Illinois (5-2, 3-1): Back-to-back games start this week against UNI and SIU. Win out and root for SIU to beat SDSU to gain auto-bid. Lose one and they are likely in the hands of the committee.

4) South Dakota State (4-4, 3-1): At-large hopes are slim to none, but can win auto-bid by winning out and rooting for a WIU win over UNI. The last might be easier than the first as they finish at SIU and at NDSU.

5) North Dakota State (4-4, 2-3): I give them the edge over the Bears because they have already played 3 of the top 4, and have SDSU at home. They also get Indiana State followed by a bye week to prepare for the Bears. Can get the auto by winning out, having UNI lose out, having WIU lose their last three after beating UNI, have SIU lose their last two after beating WIU, and having SDSU lose to either MSU or IlSU. Yeah, right.

6) Missouri State (3-4, 2-2): Thought about putting them at 5 since they have an outside shot (way outside) of claiming the auto-bid. They would have to win out and have SIU and WIU both lose two more games, I think that would give them the auto with tie-breakers over SDSU and UNI head-to-head.

7) Illinois State (2-5, 1-3): Give them the slight edge over YSU because they host them this week. Probably have a chance still at the auto-bid, but it's so far out there that it's not likely to happen. Kind of like predicting Tampa Bay to make the World Series despite never having a winning season in franchise history (hey, trying to toss the 'Birds some crackers here.)

8) Youngstown State (2-7, 1-4): Loss to UNI eliminated them from auto-bid chances. Showed they still had some fight, providing Summers stays healthy. May be fighting for Heacock's job, may be just playing out the season from here.

My thoughts are that the MVFC will get two teams unless there is some kind of implosion. Three is an outside possibility, but there would have to be some serious shake-ups in some of the other conferences. 1 is more likely than 3, as it would mean UNI had the auto-bid, (in which case WIU, SIU or both would have at best 7 D-I wins, SDSU could get to 8, but would be 8-4 and not sure how that would play out).

Thanks for that info.xthumbsupx

leatherneck177
October 28th, 2008, 09:28 AM
Some changes,

Very good analysis. The next two weeks will be very telling in the conference race. WIU will either position themselves as a true contender or will fall out of the race.

Houndawg
October 28th, 2008, 10:04 AM
I hope you guys just beat the bejesus out of each other this week.:D

appfan2008
October 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
how strange would it be if sdsu took the auto... that is the kind of thing that screws up other teams looking for an at large

JayJ79
October 28th, 2008, 10:13 AM
how strange would it be if sdsu took the auto... that is the kind of thing that screws up other teams looking for an at large

I do find it odd that everyone mentions SIU, UNI, and WIU as being tied atop the MVFC standings, yet SDSU is also up there, with the same record as WIU.

leatherneck177
October 28th, 2008, 10:32 AM
I do find it odd that everyone mentions SIU, UNI, and WIU as being tied atop the MVFC standings, yet SDSU is also up there, with the same record as WIU.

I am not worried about SDSU. If they get the auto, that would mean WIU would have beaten UNI, which would put the Necks in excellent position for an at large bid, pending they can get past @ SIU, ISU and YSU.

RabidRabbit
October 28th, 2008, 10:47 AM
IMHO, one of the 4 one loss teams will win the auto-bid.

SIU has the inside track as they have no losses to their other one loss opponents, and have the remaining two at home. However, the Salukis have shown that they have high turnovers, and that can sabotage a win quickly.

UNI has played two of their co-leaders, winning at home. Now they have the most serious road test left this weekend. Win this, and pray for a Saluki loss vs SDSU or WIU.

WIU has a GREAT shot at the Auto-bid. Win out, and pray for a Jackrabbit loss. Must win at least one of the two big games, preferrably, UNI. (Rabbit bias)

SDSU has realistically ONLY hope of play-offs is auto-bid. And that really needs to be as a 7-1 MVFC record team. No losses the rest of the way. Winning in Carbondale and in Fargo will achieve accomplishments not seen in 50 years by Rabbits.

NDSU is reduced to spoiler role, as a 3 loss MVFC autobid would mean LOTS OF Co-CHAMPS. NDSU is 1-2 vs the one loss teams, and close out with the Dakota Marker at home. That's a place the Rabbits haven't won since 1963.

Mo St has shown that they are competitive this year, winning on the road vs IL St. Couldn't hold the home turf vs SIU or WIU so pretty much out of play-off picture, especially since Washburn burned them to start the season.

YSU - Mr. Jekyl/Dr. Hyde - Blow out losses to Jacks and SIU. Win/play close to NDSU/UNI. Depends who shows up for games here on out.

IL St - Other than win over In St., no bragging here.

In St - BBBBBBAAAAADDDDD, but starting to jell. Will be goose-egged for season, but will bring back a young, experienced team for next year (and more so, 2010). The new coach is what they need at In St, and the progression will start showing next year.

RabidRabbit
October 28th, 2008, 10:52 AM
I am not worried about SDSU. If they get the auto, that would mean WIU would have beaten UNI, which would put the Necks in excellent position for an at large bid, pending they can get past @ SIU, ISU and YSU.

I'd LOVE to see SDSU/WIU as the co-champs of the MVFC at 7-1! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

JayJ79
October 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
IMHO, one of the 4 one loss teams will win the auto-bid.

That's probably a pretty safe prediction.

UNI has played two of their co-leaders, winning at home. Now they have the most serious road test left this weekend. Win this, and pray for a Saluki loss vs SDSU or WIU.

If UNI wins out, they will make the playoffs. Yes, it'd be nice to see SIU lose so that the Panthers could get the auto-bid. But if not, then with a 10-2 record (and only losses being on the road at BYU and at the conference co-champ), UNI would receive their first ever at-large bid. Still some tough games to be played to get to that point, though. Especially this Sat.

YSU - Mr. Jekyl/Dr. Hyde - Blow out losses to Jacks and SIU. Win/play close to NDSU/UNI. Depends who shows up for games here on out.
That is literally quite true. With their injury (and other) troubles, a large factor is who is able to play for each game.

leatherneck177
October 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
I'd LOVE to see SDSU/WIU as the co-champs of the MVFC at 7-1! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Agreed!

Houndawg
October 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM
That's probably a pretty safe prediction.

If UNI wins out, they will make the playoffs. Yes, it'd be nice to see SIU lose so that the Panthers could get the auto-bid. But if not, then with a 10-2 record (and only losses being on the road at BYU and at the conference co-champ), UNI would receive their first ever at-large bi. Still some tough games to be played to get to that point, though. Especially this Sat.

That is literally quite true. With their injury (and other) troubles, a large factor is who is able to play for each game.

Who, if either, would get a seed in that situation?

leatherneck177
October 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Who, if either, would get a seed in that situation?

If UNI, SIU, or WIU finish out with only 2 defeats, then they might be able to sneak in with a #3 or #4 seed.

Houndawg
October 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
If UNI, SIU, or WIU finish out with only 2 defeats, then they might be able to sneak in with a #3 or #4 seed.

I'm saying if SIU finishes 9-2 and wins the auto bid but UNI is 10-2 with a loss to SIU, who would get the seed, if either?

BearsCountry
October 28th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Looks like the Bears will be big friends of the Crime Dawgs the next couple of weeks.

Khan4Cats
October 28th, 2008, 02:25 PM
I'm saying if SIU finishes 9-2 and wins the auto bid but UNI is 10-2 with a loss to SIU, who would get the seed, if either?

I'm thinking the additional game (and higher current placement in most polls) would put the seed with UNI. There is precedent, Texas State got a seed in 2005, while the auto-bid (might have been Nicholls State) got sent on the road.

JayJ79
October 28th, 2008, 03:08 PM
No matter who gets the seeds, someone will be pissed.

But then, that's the case EVERY year.

AZGrizFan
October 28th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Looks like MVFC is a two-bid league this year.

Cap'n Cat
October 28th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Looks like MVFC is a two-bid league this year.

Agreed.

Houndawg
October 28th, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'm thinking the additional game (and higher current placement in most polls) would put the seed with UNI. There is precedent, Texas State got a seed in 2005, while the auto-bid (might have been Nicholls State) got sent on the road.

But had T St. lost to the auto-bid?

siuham
October 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
But had T St. lost to the auto-bid?

Yes

32-29 in overtime at Nicholls

Saluki09
October 28th, 2008, 04:10 PM
What would happen if WIU beat UNI this week, lost to SIU next week, SIU loses to SDSU Nov 15, then SDSU loses to NDSU final week?

4 way tie at the top

UNI 9-3 (6-2) - Losses to SIU and WIU
SIU 8-3 (6-2) - Losses to NDSU and SDSU
WIU 8-3 (6-2) - Losses to SDSU and SIU
SDSU 7-5 (6-2) - Losses to UNI and NDSU

I guess technically SIU and SDSU would be at the top since they would be 2-1 against co-champs and SDSU would have the autobid because of their head to head with SIU? Or would it shake out some other way?

Houndawg
October 28th, 2008, 05:34 PM
What would happen if WIU beat UNI this week, lost to SIU next week, SIU loses to SDSU Nov 15, then SDSU loses to NDSU final week?

4 way tie at the top

I guess technically SIU and SDSU would be at the top since they would be 2-1 against co-champs and SDSU would have the autobid because of their head to head with SIU? Or would it shake out some other way?

I think we only get one bid in that scenario.

NeckPride08
October 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM

I think UNI or WIU could still get an at-large bid (more likely UNI in that scenario.) WIU would probably be screwed by their 11 game schedule with a D-II game.

igo4uni
October 28th, 2008, 08:25 PM

4 way tie at the top

That gives me a headache.

skinny_uncle
October 28th, 2008, 09:17 PM

4 way tie at the top

xdizzyx

stevdock
October 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM

4 way tie at the top

How about all four of those teams lose another game so we can get into the mix?? Yeah I know not gonna happen, but still holding out a tiny little bit of hope:)

igo4uni
October 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
How about all four of those teams lose another game so we can get into the mix?? Yeah I know not gonna happen, but still holding out a tiny little bit of hope:)

not this year, dude.

siuham
October 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM
I just want one of the three to win out and make this easier. Sorry SDSU, you're not one of the three. If you win out, you muck things up.

Chi Panther
October 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM

SDSU is not mentioned because of playing at SIU and NDSU. Tough Road for them.

JayJ79
October 28th, 2008, 11:01 PM

they're still tied for the conference lead at this point.
(well, half a game back from UNI and SIU, as is WIU)

I mean, there was a week when people said Illinois State was leading the conference, since they were sitting at 1- 0 (with their win over Indiana State), while everyone else either had one loss.

skinny_uncle
October 29th, 2008, 09:20 PM
SDSU has no hope of an at large bid at this point. Their only route to the playoffs involves winning out and becoming conference champs. With the two tough road games at the end of the season, their chances are looking slim.

Chi Panther
October 30th, 2008, 10:10 AM
SDSU has no hope of an at large bid at this point. Their only route to the playoffs involves winning out and becoming conference champs. With the two tough road games at the end of the season, their chances are looking slim.

I agree with Skinny....xthumbsupx

MplsBison
October 30th, 2008, 10:46 AM

4 way tie at the top

If this happens then I see no reason why the top 5 MVFC teams won't get into the playoffs.

CAA got 5 in last year.

MVFC is the best conference this year.

UNI Pike
October 30th, 2008, 11:10 AM
If this happens then I see no reason why the top 5 MVFC teams won't get into the playoffs.

CAA got 5 in last year.

xblahblahx

Please, lay off the cold medicine + Crown Royal.

nmatsen
October 30th, 2008, 11:20 AM

No, we would get two, the auto (I believe SIU) and UNI as an at-large with 8-DI wins and a total of 9 wins. No home losses, only losses on the road to conference champs and top 25 BYU.

Don't worry, UNI and SIU both win out leaving SIU the auto bid and UNI the 3 seed. I am not sure why anyone is so pressed about SIU losing, it only helps our strength of schedule if they win out. Besides, if we win out we are a seed. Not saying we deserve it but with our current ranking in combination of finishing 10-2 we would easily get a seed.

Killsback
October 30th, 2008, 11:41 AM
I just don't understand how if UNI and SIU both finish the year with 2 losses and one of UNI's losses was to SIU how they would get a seed before the Salukis. I know you guys are ranked in the top 5 right now, but wouldn't they look at this at the end and decide that since SIU beat UNI head to head they should be ranked ahead of them at playoff time?

I know life isn't fair, and rankings are really objective, but what would the committee do?

UNI Pike
October 30th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I know life isn't fair, and rankings are really objective, but what would the committee do?

Don't worry, after Nov 5, this will all be resolved...xlolx

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I just don't understand how if UNI and SIU both finish the year with 2 losses and one of UNI's losses was to SIU how they would get a seed before the Salukis. I know you guys are ranked in the top 5 right now, but wouldn't they look at this at the end and decide that since SIU beat UNI head to head they should be ranked ahead of them at playoff time?

Are you trying logic in a discussion with Panther fans? What a novel idea.
:D

UNI Pike
October 30th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Honestly, we are living off of the last several years' accomplishments to some degree, just like App State. At the end of the day, I am certain that the experience counts for something, however, I am unable to quantify it.

Eastern ILL & Eastern KY are OVC "powers", but who would you rather draw in a playoff game as opposed to UNI, SIU, APP ST or even New Hampshire. These teams have shown time and again that they find a way to win.

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2008, 12:37 PM

CAA got 5 in last year.

The CAA has twelve teams while the Valley only has nine. I don't think it is mathematically possible for the Valley to ever get five in with the round robin schedule they play.

UNIFanSince1983
October 30th, 2008, 01:06 PM
There is no way you can call the MVFC this best conference this year either. Other years maybe, but this year not a chance.

Cap'n Cat
October 30th, 2008, 01:09 PM
There is no way you can call the MVFC this best conference this year either. Other years maybe, but this year not a chance.

Agreed.

BTW, LMFatAO @ Pike's "cold medicine + Crown Royal"!!!!!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Houndawg
October 30th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Honestly, we are living off of the last several years' accomplishments to some degree, just like App State. At the end of the day, I am certain that the experience counts for something, however, I am unable to quantify it.

Eastern ILL & Eastern KY are OVC "powers", but who would you rather draw in a playoff game as opposed to UNI, SIU, APP ST or even New Hampshire. These teams have shown time and again that they find a way to win.

Tennessee-Martin played us tough, EIU, not so much.

I can't see two MVFC teams getting a break from the committee, so I'll go with SIU seeded if they win out at 9-2 and UNI on the road to Bumphfook, Egypt. Or if UNI and SIU make the playoffs and get home games, they'll play each other in the second reound. CAA teams will be distributed on both sides of the bracket.

nmatsen
October 30th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Bumphfook, Egypt? Do you think there will be any flying saluki dogs that eat children there?

P.S. UNI gets the seed over SIU due to a current (possibly un-justified ranking) and an extra D-I win on our resume.

We both still have some significant work to do though.

Houndawg
October 30th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Bumphfook, Egypt? Do you think there will be any flying saluki dogs that eat children there?

P.S. UNI gets the seed over SIU due to a current (possibly un-justified ranking) and an extra D-I win on our resume.

We both still have some significant work to do though.

Agree that there is lots of football left, if we both win out I still like seeding SIU for the obvious reason (homer), plus the fact that you were #5 when we played and you're #5 now. It's not like we caught you before you were ranked; we beat a consistent Top 5 team in circumstances that greatly diminished our home-field advantage. (No smack intended, just taking the other side for arguement).xpeacex

MplsBison
October 30th, 2008, 03:31 PM
The CAA has twelve teams while the Valley only has nine. I don't think it is mathematically possible for the Valley to ever get five in with the round robin schedule they play.

WIU - 8-3
UNI - 9-3
SIU - 8-3
SDSU - 7-5
NDSU - 7-5

Mathetically possible. Those 5 teams are easily in the top 15 teams in the nation.

UNIFanSince1983
October 30th, 2008, 03:47 PM
A team with 5 losses is not going to get into the playoffs (unless they get an autobid).

Plus it would mean 4 of them would have to be in the Top 9 (I believe there are 9 at-large spots). And that would not be the case.

FargoBison
October 30th, 2008, 03:55 PM
WIU - 8-3
UNI - 9-3
SIU - 8-3
SDSU - 7-5
NDSU - 7-5

Mathetically possible. Those 5 teams are easily in the top 15 teams in the nation.

Going to be hard for the Bison to go 7-5 when the team only has 11 games

UNI Pike
October 30th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Mathetically possible.

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/possibilities.jpg

Those 5 teams are easily in the top 15 teams in the nation.

xblahblahx

Please, lay off the cold medicine + Crown Royal.

skinny_uncle
October 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
WIU - 8-3
UNI - 9-3
SIU - 8-3
SDSU - 7-5
NDSU - 7-5

Which doesn't guarantee you a slot. There will be autobid teams who are not top 15. Both Dakota teams would be sitting at home with those records.

JayJ79
October 30th, 2008, 11:11 PM
No, we would get two, the auto (I believe SIU) and UNI as an at-large with 8-DI wins and a total of 9 wins. No home losses, only losses on the road to conference champs and top 25 BYU.

Don't worry, UNI and SIU both win out leaving SIU the auto bid and UNI the 3 seed. I am not sure why anyone is so pressed about SIU losing, it only helps our strength of schedule if they win out. Besides, if we win out we are a seed. Not saying we deserve it but with our current ranking in combination of finishing 10-2 we would easily get a seed.

8 div. I wins usually means playoffs, yes. But I'm not so sure this year, with the 12 team schedule. It could go either way, depending on how many teams have that kind of record or better.

And yes, our losses are impressive. But we have no real impressive wins, unless we win at WIU.

JayJ79
October 30th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Agree that there is lots of football left, if we both win out I still like seeding SIU for the obvious reason (homer), plus the fact that you were #5 when we played and you're #5 now. It's not like we caught you before you were ranked; we beat a consistent Top 5 team in circumstances that greatly diminished our home-field advantage. (No smack intended, just taking the other side for arguement).xpeacex

what, pray tell, were the "circumstances that greatly diminished your home-field advantage"?

Houndawg
October 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
what, pray tell, were the "circumstances that greatly diminished your home-field advantage"?

New coach, new QB, new system. We had to our play base defense and simplified offense.xnodx

Try this: Hire a new coach that runs a completely different system. Do it this December so he misses a recruiting season and has less than nine months until his first game coaching kids he doesn't know and didn't recruit. Start your new coach off with Hampton, Northwestern, SIU, and NDSU. If you are in first place in the MVFC with three games to go I think you will consider that quite an accomplishment.

BearsCountry
October 31st, 2008, 10:53 AM
And the Bears could win out and be 7-4 as well. :)

BisonBacker
November 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
Which doesn't guarantee you a slot. There will be autobid teams who are not top 15. Both Dakota teams would be sitting at home with those records. Yeah it would be a miracle if NDSU could get to a 7-5 record considering we only play 11 games xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx